Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Not only do I not know why you'd 'need' round bases for 40k (I guess you could have some advantage in maintaining unit cohesion if you were measuring from corners) but why would you think you couldn't magnetize the bases? People magnetize almost everything, it's not against any rules from GW and if your FLGS has a rule against it you should leave because they're probably trying to make you buy like 4x the models you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Best way I saw it done was:

Guy bought some metal washers the same size as the round bases. Put a magnet under the square base to hold the washer in place. Glued model to washer, then put whatever on the bases to even out the washer with the square fantasy base. So the round base could be popped off the square one and used for 40k, or held in place with magnets for Fantasy. Probably a fair bit of work, but it was pretty cool.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Not only do I not know why you'd 'need' round bases for 40k (I guess you could have some advantage in maintaining unit cohesion if you were measuring from corners) but why would you think you couldn't magnetize the bases? People magnetize almost everything, it's not against any rules from GW and if your FLGS has a rule against it you should leave because they're probably trying to make you buy like 4x the models you need.

If I came in one day with Daemons on round bases, and the next day with Daemons on square bases, it'd be pretty obvious what I was doing, right? I just don't want to be banned from the tables or told I can't use a Daemons army after buying and building it. Like I said, the guy was insistent that you had to use specific bases for specific games.

I have no idea why it matters either, since they're both 25mm and functionally identical, but whatever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Broniki posted:

If I came in one day with Daemons on round bases, and the next day with Daemons on square bases, it'd be pretty obvious what I was doing, right? I just don't want to be banned from the tables or told I can't use a Daemons army after buying and building it. Like I said, the guy was insistent that you had to use specific bases for specific games.

I have no idea why it matters either, since they're both 25mm and functionally identical, but whatever.

I mean, he's just saying you need to use the right bases for the right game. If anyone 'calls you out' on magnetizing the bases, it's on them, because you're not breaking any rules. It doesn't matter if it's obvious what you're doing because what you're doing isn't against any actual rules.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I don't know if you'd want to play with someone who would be like that anyway... fantasy is all about cutting corners to keep from spending a thousand dollars on plastic barbies. I think if I were you I'd take The Gate's washer/magnet idea and do it with unit trays or something. While there's a valid reason to want round bases only for 40k, namely pivoting bullshit on larger models, screaming about the converse is absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of goony dudes in this hobby, but nobody should subject themselves to that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
40K round bases are 25mm wide right? And Daemons are based on 25x25mm bases right?

Easy solution is to base the minis on round 25mm bases, and then put them in movement trays where you make markings exactly where the border between the square bases would be.

See second pic on this page:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?239295-Every-Tzeentch-model-ever-Project-Change/page4

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Cant you use War of the Ring movement trays? Either way, I'm pretty sure GF9 makes some movement trays with round holes in them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
One potential problem with movement trays with holes in them is that if the holes are not immediately adjacent, your unit will be too wide and too deep. I haven't seen the LotR movement trays in person, but on pictures there seems to be 1-2mm or so between the holes.

So then it is down to whether you think that an additional ½-1 cm extra width for your units is a problem or not, which is probably directly in direct proportion to how much of a strung-up rear end in a top hat your opponent is.

The LotR movement trays are probably just fine for you, and if not, just use a normal movement tray (which will have the right proportions) or go with something like these: http://www.base-x-of-war.com/html/sci-fi_tray_range_0.html

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

lilljonas posted:

One potential problem with movement trays with holes in them is that if the holes are not immediately adjacent, your unit will be too wide and too deep. I haven't seen the LotR movement trays in person, but on pictures there seems to be 1-2mm or so between the holes.

So then it is down to whether you think that an additional ½-1 cm extra width for your units is a problem or not, which is probably directly in direct proportion to how much of a strung-up rear end in a top hat your opponent is.

The LotR movement trays are probably just fine for you, and if not, just use a normal movement tray (which will have the right proportions) or go with something like these: http://www.base-x-of-war.com/html/sci-fi_tray_range_0.html

Do a normal movement tray if you're gonna do this, not the LotR ones. The spacing makes it a huge pain in the rear end to figure out how many models are fighting, especially when you throw in characters and allocating attacks at them and poo poo. Also, the unit won't be the right size if another unit charges in, etc. Just toss some unit fillers in your blocks so you don't have twice as many daemons for Fantasy as you need for 40K.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
On the subject of unit fillers, is that a fairly common thing to see in some units or am I going to be that guy if I show up with some alternate filler pieces for my blocks of dwarfs?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yep it's fairly common. As long as it fits with your army theme people shouldn't care. And if they do care they aren't the kind of people you want to be playing anyway. Anything to let you paint less core troops is a good thing, especially for horde armies.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Under 15 posted:

I don't know if you'd want to play with someone who would be like that anyway... fantasy is all about cutting corners to keep from spending a thousand dollars on plastic barbies. I think if I were you I'd take The Gate's washer/magnet idea and do it with unit trays or something. While there's a valid reason to want round bases only for 40k, namely pivoting bullshit on larger models, screaming about the converse is absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of goony dudes in this hobby, but nobody should subject themselves to that.

My local Games Workshop is the only place in my city where I can play WHFB. It's not really about what other players think so much as what the staff will allow in the store. I'm sure the other players wouldn't care.

I'll ask about magnets the next time I'm in the store, although to be honest the prospect of buying a trillion little magnets and then sticking them on the feet and (two sets of ) bases of a horde of minis feels like an extra layer of hassle for someone just trying to get into the hobby. I'll probably look into starting a different army.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Broniki posted:

Just make (or buy) square trays to put your round base models in, some stores have square trays with round hold inserts but you could also just draw out a grid on an empty tray to show where the square bases would be in. The 25mm round and 25mm square bases are the same size across. The 40mm rounds are also the same size across as the 40mm squares. So for those two there's no way to get any sort of advantage. For your 60mm round base models you will need to magnetize the model at the feet as WHFB uses 50mm squares for those models and the 50mm squares are much smaller than the 60mm rounds. Or just mount it on the 50mm square and stack that on the 60mm round when you want to play 40k.

No player should really care in a pick-up game setting (if they do, don't play them) and honestly from all my experiences playing at a GW store I don't remember an employee ever coming and looking at our games. They were always too busy demoing games or selling product.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 20, 2013

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone looking to pick up an entire Vampire Counts army at about half price?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Zhent posted:

On the subject of unit fillers, is that a fairly common thing to see in some units or am I going to be that guy if I show up with some alternate filler pieces for my blocks of dwarfs?

If you had like 5 goblins and an araknarok spider as the unit filler i'd probably call you on it since it would block LOS, but aside from that, i dont mind the odd ogre or mini diorama in the middle of units.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

After some consideration and more play testing, I think I've settled on what I'm going to use for my 2014 tournaments. Figured I'd listen to you guys and drop my "Malekith super defensive list" and return to something far more aggressive. Plus I found some really cool crystals I'd like to use as bases for some of my guys.

Dark Elves - 2500pts

Lord

Lvl 4 Supreme Sorceress
Lore: Death
Mount: Dark Pegasus
Cloak of Twilight giving her a 3+ Ward Save to range attacks
Dispel Scroll

Total: 345pts (13.80%)

Hero

Death Hag on the Cauldron of Blood
Mount: Cauldron of Blood (Gives Witch Elves a 5+ ward save, and allows them to reroll all of their rolls to wound. Also has a bound spell that gives Frenzy to a unit)
Cry of War (Enemies in base contact take -3 Leadership for fear and terror tests)

Battlestandard
Mount: Cold One
Full Armor
Lance
Crown of Command

Total: 448pts (17.92%)

Core

24 Witch Elves, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame (Anti Regen Monster Unit)

10 Dark Riders with Shields, Musician, Standard, no RXB (Dual as warmachine hunters and Wizard Bunkers.)

10 Dark Riders with Shields, Musician, Standard, no RXB (Dual as warmachine hunters and Wizard Bunkers.)

Total: 684 (27.37%)

Special

9 Cold One Knights, Full Command, Standard of Discipline (Heavy Armor Tarpit)

30 Executioners, Full Command, Razor Standard (The Slaughterers of Chaos Warriors and Steam Tanks)

Total: 750pts (30.00%)

Rare

5 Doom Fire Warlocks with Champ (Warmachine hunters, charge redirectors, magic support)

5 Doom Fire Warlocks with Champ (Warmachine hunters, charge redirectors, magic support)

Total: 270pts (10.80%)

Grand Total: 2497pts

So what do you guys think? Is it competitive enough? Does it really stand a chance at dealing with current problems in the meta such as Steam Tanks and Hell Pits?

Thanks

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Anyone looking to pick up an entire Vampire Counts army at about half price?

Painted or in what condition?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Agh gently caress, I've double booked myself on that Corehammer tournament day (22nd Feb). That's the day of my dad's retirement party.

I'd already bought my ticket. Any London/Southeast ham goons want it?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TKIY posted:

Painted or in what condition?

Majority is painted at above table top, its all in good condition, and I have two custom cases its all stored in to go with it.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Shadoer posted:

So what do you guys think? Is it competitive enough? Does it really stand a chance at dealing with current problems in the meta such as Steam Tanks and Hell Pits?

Thanks

List looks fine, just wanted to note that you list your dark riders as wizard bunkers, but your pegasus is a monstrous beast which makes you monstrous cav, so the dark riders don't grant a look out sir save. 10 dark riders are also quite expensive units that are relatively fragile, too expensive to throw away. I prefer units of 5 with crossbows and shields. Still expensive, but doesn't hurt quite so much when you have to throw them under the proverbial bus.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

List looks fine, just wanted to note that you list your dark riders as wizard bunkers, but your pegasus is a monstrous beast which makes you monstrous cav, so the dark riders don't grant a look out sir save. 10 dark riders are also quite expensive units that are relatively fragile, too expensive to throw away. I prefer units of 5 with crossbows and shields. Still expensive, but doesn't hurt quite so much when you have to throw them under the proverbial bus.

Ah I meant "Wizard Bunker Hunters". The idea is that with a standard, 10 of them, and probably support from a unit of Warlocks or another Dark Rider unit, they should be able to deal with those cheap units of guys protecting those delicious delicious wizards.

As for busses, I'm planning to use my unit of Warlocks to try and throw under them. They are 135 pts each, an expensive solution, but still cheap enough for that purpose.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

ineptmule posted:

Agh gently caress, I've double booked myself on that Corehammer tournament day (22nd Feb). That's the day of my dad's retirement party.

I'd already bought my ticket. Any London/Southeast ham goons want it?

We actually sold all 24 tickets already, if you need to cancel email me at sa.fastfoodknight at gmail dot com and I'll find out what we can do, we have players waiting to get a ticket so organising you a refund should not be an issue.

On to the dark elf chat: if you charge 10 dark riders you get max 6 attacks on the wizard, probably enough to do the job, but you can do the same with 6 dark riders and they're likely on a suicide mission whether there's 6 or 10 of them. Warlocks are too great to be throwing under the bus, even if they are cheap. Losing the casting power sucks and they are not exactly bad in combat, they chop up most chaff units nicely. Split your dark riders into units of 3x2, and consider shades because they are awesome. Your list is cool by the way, I just use my dark riders differently!

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

On to the dark elf chat: if you charge 10 dark riders you get max 6 attacks on the wizard, probably enough to do the job, but you can do the same with 6 dark riders and they're likely on a suicide mission whether there's 6 or 10 of them. Warlocks are too great to be throwing under the bus, even if they are cheap. Losing the casting power sucks and they are not exactly bad in combat, they chop up most chaff units nicely. Split your dark riders into units of 3x2, and consider shades because they are awesome. Your list is cool by the way, I just use my dark riders differently!

Actually I was thinking I'd focus the Dark Riders on the bunker itself and run it down. That way I'd avoid the very likely Wizard Ward Save. I mean, most wizard bunkers are made of really cheap infantry with low armor and rely on steadfast and staying behind enemy lines to stay alive. The Dark Riders with a banner should be able to maneuver and catch these guys and eat them after a couple of rounds of close combat, especially if the Warlocks make a support charge. At least that's my theory. Honestly, I usually use Dark Riders like you do or in units of 5 with RXBs, but I was hoping to try something a bit different.

Yeah, throwing Warlocks under a bus stinks but with this list, it's really my only option. At least though I can try the game of bait and flee for a couple of turns though to hold the buss off. I'm hoping though that with most of my army being manouverable and the only viable bus targets are the horded Witch Elves and the horded Executioners, that either of those units should be able to beat the bus or hurt it's feelings enough that something else can take it down.

Thanks!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shadoer posted:

Actually I was thinking I'd focus the Dark Riders on the bunker itself and run it down. That way I'd avoid the very likely Wizard Ward Save. I mean, most wizard bunkers are made of really cheap infantry with low armor and rely on steadfast and staying behind enemy lines to stay alive.
I can think of a decent chunk of armies where this flat-out won't work, due to the wizards being bunkered in a unit that will mulch your riders (Brets, Skaven, Orcs, Ogres), are terrifying in their own right (Chaos Dwarfs, Warriors, Daemons, Vamps), or will be untouchable/outmaneuver you due to flying (Lizardmen, Wood Elves). Also, the comedy option of armies that don't run any worthwhile wizards (Beastmen (I think), Dwarfs).

I think you have a lot of wizard-hunting stuff and not enough to deal with threats beyond that. What's your plan for dealing with heavy units? Executioners disappear incredibly quickly and you don't have a lot of them either. Cold One Knights are cool but unreliable and need a good flank charge, which I think your army is going to have a really hard time setting up.

EDIT: It would take pretty much one solid stone thrower hit to make that executioner horde borderline useless.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

I can think of a decent chunk of armies where this flat-out won't work, due to the wizards being bunkered in a unit that will mulch your riders (Brets, Skaven, Orcs, Ogres), are terrifying in their own right (Chaos Dwarfs, Warriors, Daemons, Vamps), or will be untouchable/outmaneuver you due to flying (Lizardmen, Wood Elves). Also, the comedy option of armies that don't run any worthwhile wizards (Beastmen (I think), Dwarfs).

I think you have a lot of wizard-hunting stuff and not enough to deal with threats beyond that. What's your plan for dealing with heavy units? Executioners disappear incredibly quickly and you don't have a lot of them either. Cold One Knights are cool but unreliable and need a good flank charge, which I think your army is going to have a really hard time setting up.

EDIT: It would take pretty much one solid stone thrower hit to make that executioner horde borderline useless.

Well yeah, they are going to be doing other stuff than just wizard hunting. I also need them to do their job of removing stuff like war machines. Plus in a unit of 10 with a banner, they will be much more able at clearing out chaff as well as durable. But as you pointed out, against guys like Warriors, Daemons, and Vamps, my Dark Riders exist to just run around and keep from getting killed. Maybe do a support charge :(

Well the Cold One Knights are much more reliable with the BSB. Sure there's a chance they'll fail, but with ld 9 and the bsb reroll... it's unlikely. I don't have a lot of Executioners, you're right, I'm thinking they should be fine provided my Dark Riders and Warlocks can run enough interference to keep them alive. Witch Elves are really good at taking down heavy units, just not the armored variety. Even then, with the sheer number of attacks they have along with the rerolls to wound, even armored knights will be taking casualties to them. Plus the 5+ Ward helps a lot.

Still I have been considering a few changes. Like while I admit that I love my Sorc on a Pegasus, I was thinking of making her go Lore of Life and putting her in the unit of Executioners with a Black Amulet (4+ Ward in CC, reflect wounds that were saved onto the attacker) and a dispel scroll or even a sac dagger. Then use the spare points to beef up the Executioners. Then however I'll lose out on a bunch of maneuverability and I won't be able to take advantage of cheap stuff like Purple Sun spam. However I would get Executioners with regen, possibly bonus toughness and regrow models.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shadoer posted:

Well yeah, they are going to be doing other stuff than just wizard hunting. I also need them to do their job of removing stuff like war machines. Plus in a unit of 10 with a banner, they will be much more able at clearing out chaff as well as durable. But as you pointed out, against guys like Warriors, Daemons, and Vamps, my Dark Riders exist to just run around and keep from getting killed. Maybe do a support charge :(
That seems like a lot of your army running around doing nothing if you get an unfavorable matchup. With ASF, elf stats, and spears, I don't see how a unit of 5 or 6 couldn't tear through most chaff and still be disposable enough to throw away if you want to try and go for a hail mary against a wizard. I'd dump the extra points into witch elves so that way you have a truly terrifying unit and having a target that people might look at so your execs can get across the board in relative safety.

I'd keep the sorc flying. That way you she can be where you want her to be. That unit is going to see a lot of combat and if given the opportunity anyone's going to throw away a bunch of core troops to spike your entire magic phase.

EDIT: I haven't played against the new dark elf book yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I'm really interested to hear how you do with it, I can see where you're coming from but Business Gorillas has already pointed out my main issues with it. I like to flee dark riders through warlocks sitting a little ways behind them, then the riders rally and both units blast the poo poo out of whatever failed to catch you. Beware swiftstriders making the redirect into the warlocks though.

Oh and a big thing that I can't believe I forgot to talk about :

If you're going to run a death sorc on pegasus with the cloak, for an extra 25 points you can have Morathi. You lose the 3++, it becomes a 4++ against everything. You gain some minor chaff clearing combat power, you gain +D3 to every casting attempt (which is massive) and you can choose 3 death spells and one dark, so you always have doombolt or power. She is broken good, I love Morathi so much.

Here's my list:

code:
+++ No Name (2390pts) +++
+++ 2400pt Dark Elves (8th Edition) Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Dark Elves (8th Edition) (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords + (375pts)

* Morathi (375pts) 
        Lore of Death

+ Heroes + (480pts)

* Death Hag (325pts) 
        Cauldron of Blood (190pts), Cry of war (15pts), Fencer's Blades (35pts)

* Master (155pts) 
        Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Dawnstone (25pts), Enchanted Shield (5pts), 
	Heavy Armor (4pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Sword of Might (20pts)

+ Core + (625pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts) 
        Musician (10pts)
        * 5x Dark Riders (100pts) 
            5x Repeater Crossbows (15pts), 5x Shields (5pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts) 
        Musician (10pts)
        * 5x Dark Riders (100pts) 
            5x Repeater Crossbows (15pts), 5x Shields (5pts)

* Witch Elves (405pts) 
        Hag (10pts), Musician (10pts), 30x Witch Elves (330pts)
        * Standard Bearer (55pts) 
            Razor Standard (45pts)

+ Special + (660pts)

* Har Ganeth Executioners (340pts) 
        Draich-Master (10pts), 25x Har Ganeth Executioners (300pts), Musician (10pts)
        * Standard Bearer (20pts) 
            Banner of Eternal Flame (10pts)

* Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts) 

* Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts) 

* Shades (90pts) 
        * 5x Dark Elf Shades (90pts) 
            5x Great Weapons (10pts)

* Shades (90pts) 
        * 5x Dark Elf Shades (90pts) 
            5x Great Weapons (10pts)

+ Rare + (250pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) 
        5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) 
        5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)

Created with BattleScribe

DO have a variation where instead of the executioners I have a hydra and a karibdyss. Both lists are fun, the executioners are just better though, generally. Would like a bigger unit but they get the job done. I like cry of war + fencer's blades on the hag, and I run the witches 6 wide, 3 witches and the cauldron. You don't lose many attacks but your unit is much more survivable and is steadfast forever. You can then horde out in the second round if you need the killing power, and the razor standard makes a big difference for me vs those units with just heavy armour or HA+Shield.

Fast_Food_Knight fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 21, 2013

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do the contents of the chaos warrior battalion sit now that marauders and knights aren't as big a deal? Are they still decent enough to warrant having a unit of each or better off just buying warriors to begin with? Presumably dogs are still a good thing to have

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

You both make pretty good points, especially about including Morathii and that I really need something to throw away in certain match ups. So taking your advice into consideration, how about the following changes?

- Switch over my Pegasus Sorc to Morathi (thx again Fast Food Knight). I lose the Dispel Scroll and a little bit of a Ward Save, however for just a few more points I gain LD 10, Close Combat abilities, and so on.

- Since the Cloak of Twilight was freed up, I made my BSB be put on a Pegasus as well. He can make better use of the Cloak and have the killing blow as well as D3 Wounds bonus. More mobile to help with tight leadership situations and can try and pick off heavier targets like Chariots.

- I still want to try a unit of 10 Dark Riders with the standard and musician, but you guys are right, I could really use the sacrificial units. So I broke up the other unit into two cheap 5 Dark Rider units with shields. At 85pts a pop, I can easily throw them away under a bus and they are still good at taking down warmachines. The 10 Dark Riders I still want to give a shot with and use them to try and target things that are too tough for a a 5 man Dark Rider unit to take down, but not tough enough that I want to send in my Cold One Knights. (IE: 20 man blocks of Empire Militia, High Elf Eagles, 20 man unit of Slaves, small gun lines)

- Cold Ones Knights now have a Gleaming Pendant to help with Leadership checks if the bsb is called else where. Without the Crown of Command and the hero, they are less useful, but I think they can still play a valuable support role with my two big blocks of infantry.

- Some minor changes. Dropped the champs on the Warlocks, dumped Cry of War, and took the Razor Standard off the Executioners because it was a bit redundant. Brought the Cold One Knights up to 10.

Overall it would make for a much leaner list with more tactical options and ability to remove War Machines and cover things like my Executioners. I am a bit worried about not having a dispel scroll and I think I'm pretty light for magic defense.

Dark Elves - 2500pts

Lord

Morathi
Lore: Death
Cloak of Twilight giving her a 3+ Ward Save to range attacks

Total: 375pts (15.00%)

Hero

Death Hag on the Cauldron of Blood
Mount: Cauldron of Blood (Gives Witch Elves a 5+ ward save, and allows them to reroll all of their rolls to wound. Also has a bound spell that gives Frenzy to a unit)

Battlestandard
Full Armor
Lance
Cloak of Twilight (3+ Ward vs Range, Killing Blow and D3 Wounds on first round of CC. Figured if I take Morathi, I might as well change my BSB over to being a guy like this. Now he can provide rerolls across the battlefield and engage heavier targes solo like Chariots.)

Total: 486pts (19.44%)

Core

24 Witch Elves, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame (Anti Regen Monster Unit)

10 Dark Riders with Shields, Musician, Standard, no RXB (Dual as warmachine and Wizard Bunker hunters)

5 Dark Riders with Shields

5 Dark Riders with Shields

Total: 664 (26.56%)

Special

10 Cold One Knights, Full Command, Gleaming Pendant (One LD reroll)

30 Executioners, Full Command

Total: 725pts (29.00%)

Rare

5 Doom Fire Warlocks (Warmachine hunters, charge redirectors, magic support)

5 Doom Fire Warlocks (Warmachine hunters, charge redirectors, magic support)

Total: 250pts (10.00%)

Grand Total: 2500pts

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Awesome, thanks FFK. Email sent.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Btw that army list of yours is pretty awesome :).

Out of curiosity, how do your two units of Shades with great weapons work out? I've been thinking of running it for sometime now, but I keep worrying that I'll just be throwing points away as they get snipped off by something.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I like the change in the dark rider loadout, nice middle ground I think. Are you particularly invested in the cold one knights? I love the models but find them overcosted for what they do. In terms of pure optimisation, I'd drop them for shades, chariots, harpies, more bodies in the witches in any combination.

That said, if you like them and want to run them, your list is good as it is (and probably quite fun).

You're right that they won't be hammering on their own, I'd want to keep them close to the witch elf unit to support charge their target. You only need one model in the CoK unit within 6" of the cauldron to benefit from re-rolls to all wounds, which will help in protracted combats, and I think you can use the frenzy bound spell on them (haven't got the book in front of me) which would give you a few extra S6 attacks on the charge round.

Your BSB now has range to be anywhere, and Morathi is LD10 with high mobility, I'd play carefully and use the banner of swiftness on the knights over the gleaming pennant, but only because I find M7 to be a bit low for elf cavalry. But again, they are going to hang near the witches and support them, so maybe they don't need it! Just an option to consider.

I don't run a dispel scroll in my dark elves, someone told me it was a crutch and to try a few games without it, I've lost 2 out of 12 games with my DE, both to losing the cauldron and a chunk of the witch elf unit to final transmutation. The thing is, both times the spell was cast irresistably, so a scroll would have been nice but I'd still be sitting on the same win/loss, and I have +D3 to every cast for those 25 points for upgrading to Morathi. The bonus is huge because you can usually use one less dice to cast and force your opponent to stretch his dispel dice thinner, and if you take dark magic she casts at D3+1, she casts word of pain on a single dice at 3+. The fact that you have warlocks who always know two very useful spells and can 6 dice them without miscasting is just amazing, and if you roll a good phase you can force out dispel dice with a big soulblight and then Morathi can get 3 spells off with 5 dice.

Let me know how it goes, the new DE book is great fun to play.

e: Shades were broken good in the last book, and now they got ASF and musicians for the same points. If anyone directs resources to the shades they've done their job, especially something like a magic missile. They are not fantastic in combat but they are a huge threat to war machines and lone wizards, as well as insanely good shots. Add in the fact that you scout them 12" away from him and force his hand during deployment they are a fantastic tool for 90 points. The only downside to shades is that comp systems penalise them!

Fast_Food_Knight fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 21, 2013

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

What the gently caress did I just do? I'm having a kid in 5 months, I don't have time to start a brand new army!

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Not a viking posted:

What the gently caress did I just do? I'm having a kid in 5 months, I don't have time to start a brand new army!

Yes, yes give in to the lure of chaos. Now add some skullcrushers to the mix and have yourself a ball crushing skulls! Also, gorebeast chariots are fantastic, especially when you run two of them. T6 is pretty nifty when you cram one (preferably two) into someone's flank and watch as they feebly try and do something about it. Haven't tried the hellstriders yet but I've heard they work well as a mage delivery system for a slaanesh sorcerer. Also, Chaos has the best looking and most fun to paint models in the whole game IMO so kudos on your purchase! Who needs babby food when you've got little mans to paint!

edit - oh yeah an congrats on the child!

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

I like the change in the dark rider loadout, nice middle ground I think. Are you particularly invested in the cold one knights? I love the models but find them overcosted for what they do. In terms of pure optimisation, I'd drop them for shades, chariots, harpies, more bodies in the witches in any combination.

That said, if you like them and want to run them, your list is good as it is (and probably quite fun).

You're right that they won't be hammering on their own, I'd want to keep them close to the witch elf unit to support charge their target. You only need one model in the CoK unit within 6" of the cauldron to benefit from re-rolls to all wounds, which will help in protracted combats, and I think you can use the frenzy bound spell on them (haven't got the book in front of me) which would give you a few extra S6 attacks on the charge round.

Your BSB now has range to be anywhere, and Morathi is LD10 with high mobility, I'd play carefully and use the banner of swiftness on the knights over the gleaming pennant, but only because I find M7 to be a bit low for elf cavalry. But again, they are going to hang near the witches and support them, so maybe they don't need it! Just an option to consider.

Well I'm not married to the Cold One Knights, it's just I think I could use a unit that can absorb punishment and has some staying power. Like in the previous book I'd sue the Hydra for that purpose, but the Hydra has been nerfed a bit and isn't quite what it used to be. Plus with all the artillery out there, the hydra and it's Kbyss brother are just a bit of a liability now.

The Cold Ones can absorb damage with their armor save, are reletively fast, give an extra banner for Blood and Glory, and can take a couple of artillery hits without lowering their effectiveness too much. Plus they can be given frenzy from the Cauldron and even "Super Frenzy." So I'm thinking they should be a solid choice in the current meta.

I was considering for going Hydra and Kbyss, but I just don't think they will have the kind of staying power I want and will just act as support units for the With Elves and Executioners. There isn't much wrong with that, but I'd rather have a unit that can go off on it's own and be a bit fast. At least in my "theory hammer". (We'll see how that holds up after a few games and some unfortunate stupidity tests)

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

I don't run a dispel scroll in my dark elves, someone told me it was a crutch and to try a few games without it, I've lost 2 out of 12 games with my DE, both to losing the cauldron and a chunk of the witch elf unit to final transmutation. The thing is, both times the spell was cast irresistably, so a scroll would have been nice but I'd still be sitting on the same win/loss, and I have +D3 to every cast for those 25 points for upgrading to Morathi. The bonus is huge because you can usually use one less dice to cast and force your opponent to stretch his dispel dice thinner, and if you take dark magic she casts at D3+1, she casts word of pain on a single dice at 3+. The fact that you have warlocks who always know two very useful spells and can 6 dice them without miscasting is just amazing, and if you roll a good phase you can force out dispel dice with a big soulblight and then Morathi can get 3 spells off with 5 dice.

Those are good points. Plus if I give Morathi Power of Darkness, she can then charge with the Heart render at Strength 6 as opposed to 5... very tempting.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Let me know how it goes, the new DE book is great fun to play.

Will do, I got a 1600pt tournament in the end of Janurary where I'll run a small version of this list, and then the big 2500pt tournament at the begining of March so I'll let you know how it goes with battle reps :)

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

e: Shades were broken good in the last book, and now they got ASF and musicians for the same points. If anyone directs resources to the shades they've done their job, especially something like a magic missile. They are not fantastic in combat but they are a huge threat to war machines and lone wizards, as well as insanely good shots. Add in the fact that you scout them 12" away from him and force his hand during deployment they are a fantastic tool for 90 points. The only downside to shades is that comp systems penalise them!

Man I remember the Shade Death Star of 7th where we could have our Shades with ASF (Hag Graef banner), Hatred, and like 30 guys slaughtering through everything everyone loved . I never fielded them but I definitly remember having to do stupid stuff like sending in a Hydra in with a ward save from the Cauldron of Blood along with a few other units just to try and take them down. They were brilliant.

So they still are insenly good, hmm maybe I will think about incorporating them. I just need to figure out some models to use for them because the current ones are terrible and expensive. I was thinking of converting Dark Eldar Incubi for the use or hunting down the old Mangela Manflayer models. :)

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Not a viking posted:

Sure you do! Whenever your kid starts crying, throwing up, or wakes you up in the dead of night and you think to yourself "My god, what have I done?!" pain a few models as stress relief :)

(Congratz btw)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Shadoer posted:

Man I remember the Shade Death Star of 7th where we could have our Shades with ASF (Hag Graef banner), Hatred, and like 30 guys slaughtering through everything everyone loved . I never fielded them but I definitly remember having to do stupid stuff like sending in a Hydra in with a ward save from the Cauldron of Blood along with a few other units just to try and take them down. They were brilliant.

So they still are insenly good, hmm maybe I will think about incorporating them. I just need to figure out some models to use for them because the current ones are terrible and expensive. I was thinking of converting Dark Eldar Incubi for the use or hunting down the old Mangela Manflayer models. :)

I'm glad the shadestar is dead and buried :P

They are amazing yeah, and if you can get the Manflayers then use those. I converted 20 shadow warriors, the helmets are already quite dark elf, and you can throw on some corsair heads. I gave them corsair handbows and a selection of corsair/dark eldar wych weapons. It cost far too much money overall I think.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Not a viking posted:

Shadoer posted:

Sure you do! Whenever your kid starts crying, throwing up, or wakes you up in the dead of night and you think to yourself "My god, what have I done?!" pain a few models as stress relief :)

This is the correct answer. And at about 3-6 months when they (mostly) sleep through the night you'll be so used to not sleeping properly it becomes prime painting time.

So after xmas I'm looking at painting up a *small* High Elf list. I really want to use the Sisters of Avelorn models in there (mainly because I already have them), but for the core choices I don't like the old Archer or Spearmen sculpts with their massive hands, so:

Sea Guard or Silver Helms?
What else should I get? (I have the Island of Blood stuff somewhere)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
A mix of the two? Nice little group of silver helms for 2+ armour core, and some sea guard standing in as an archer bunker, fill out the rest with a sea guard unit. You only really need 20-25 of them as they fight in four ranks with spears, and they suck anyway without magic support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

richyp posted:

This is the correct answer. And at about 3-6 months when they (mostly) sleep through the night you'll be so used to not sleeping properly it becomes prime painting time.

So after xmas I'm looking at painting up a *small* High Elf list. I really want to use the Sisters of Avelorn models in there (mainly because I already have them), but for the core choices I don't like the old Archer or Spearmen sculpts with their massive hands, so:

Sea Guard or Silver Helms?
What else should I get? (I have the Island of Blood stuff somewhere)

Hit up ebay for the old Maidenguard models, they make awesome sea guard with their spears and bows.

• Locked thread