Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mourning Due posted:

Is there a convenient way to download an entire album straight to the device? Or would I have to either download each picture one by one, or download via an app, or download to my computer and transfer over?

Maybe this is overkill for your purpose, but hey...

https://www.facebook.com/help/131112897028467

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Allaniis posted:

That resolution on a 7 inch sounds terrible, much less on 10.

I got one that's even worse: I was at Big Lots a few nights ago and they had some D2, Trio and Proscan tabs on sale for an extra 30% and 50% off.

Anyway, they had a 9" tab that had a 800x480 resolution.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It is indeed a waste of money.

Do not buy an Android tablet that is not a Nexus 7. You are not saving money by buying something cheaper, you are throwing it away it by buying something that is worthless. Do not encourage companies to waste precious mineral resources on garbage by buying it.

It really seems like Christmas 2013, more than ever, is the season of spectacularly lovely Android tablets. I've seen quite a bit of $50-$60 tablet "deals" on a device that's got all the specs of a Nexus S and a 8-10" screen with the same resolution.

There are going to be a lot of people who end up really disappointed when they see what's under the tree this year

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is a stupid as hell question, admittedly, I know there are bluetooth mice and keyboards for android devices, but did anyone ever come out with a bluetooth Wacom-styled drawing pad for use with Android tabs?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

It really seems like Christmas 2013, more than ever, is the season of spectacularly lovely Android tablets. I've seen quite a bit of $50-$60 tablet "deals" on a device that's got all the specs of a Nexus S and a 8-10" screen with the same resolution.

There are going to be a lot of people who end up really disappointed when they see what's under the tree this year
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind buying a cheap one to be a dedicated Chromecast controller when I'm too lazy to go for my phone. However, I'd be terrified that the OS is modified/keylogger built-in and my password(s) will be snatched the moment I login. I don't want nobody loving my Netflix recommendations.

I actually played with a Hisense Sero 7 Pro recently. It's not bad for the price, but it's been sold out ever sense they dropped it to $130. It has the internals of a Nexus 7 (2012), plus a SD card slot and microHDMI. Of course, you're never going get to updates. I think Hisense was shocked by the demand for such a cheap tablet with those features. It really shows how lovely the low-end Android tablet market is. I mean, Galaxy Tab 3 is pretty garbage and it's even more expensive.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Mourning Due posted:

Not sure if I should be asking here or the Apps thread, but:

I'm taking my Nexus somewhere with no internet connection (great aunt's house), but I want to show her some pictures on it from my Facebook page.

Is there a convenient way to download an entire album straight to the device? Or would I have to either download each picture one by one, or download via an app, or download to my computer and transfer over?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.futerox.fbphoto&hl=en

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mourning Due posted:

I'm taking my Nexus somewhere with no internet connection (great aunt's house), but I want to show her some pictures on it from my Facebook page.

Is there a convenient way to download an entire album straight to the device?
I had this exact requirement last weekend. There is no quick way to do it through Facebook but a quick search turned up a bunch of results, I used this one and it's Gingerbread-as-gently caress but worked perfectly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fbalbumdownloader&hl=en

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is a stupid as hell question, admittedly, I know there are bluetooth mice and keyboards for android devices, but did anyone ever come out with a bluetooth Wacom-styled drawing pad for use with Android tabs?

Do you mean an external pad, or a pen like this one? You could try using a USB OTG cable with a regular USB Wacom and see what happens - someone on reddit got it working.

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
I picked up a Nexus 7 at Office Depot last week, and the power button feels like crap to me. It sounds like this is a pretty common complaint, but I wanted to get some feedback here. Mine doesn't have much travel and one side is lower than the other.

It does produce a small "click" for feedback when pushed which is what a lot of the online complaints said it lacked. I may exchange it, but I'm afraid the replacement won't be much of an improvement.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mein Eyes! posted:

Do you mean an external pad, or a pen like this one? You could try using a USB OTG cable with a regular USB Wacom and see what happens - someone on reddit got it working.

I think he means something more like this. A capacitive stylus that can communicate pressure through bluetooth. Unfortunately I think every single one that exists is iOS only.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Allaniis posted:

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind buying a cheap one to be a dedicated Chromecast controller when I'm too lazy to go for my phone. However, I'd be terrified that the OS is modified/keylogger built-in and my password(s) will be snatched the moment I login. I don't want nobody loving my Netflix recommendations.

I actually played with a Hisense Sero 7 Pro recently. It's not bad for the price, but it's been sold out ever sense they dropped it to $130. It has the internals of a Nexus 7 (2012), plus a SD card slot and microHDMI. Of course, you're never going get to updates. I think Hisense was shocked by the demand for such a cheap tablet with those features. It really shows how lovely the low-end Android tablet market is. I mean, Galaxy Tab 3 is pretty garbage and it's even more expensive.

They have these in stock at a nearby wal mart. Been thinking of checking it out but want to get a 10" or so screen.

7" screen is great for streaming, but kinda crap for reading comics.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it used to be. While you can still go down to Big Lots and essentially burn your money on some abysmal piece of poo poo with a 640x480 screen that will get an hour of battery life, they are becoming more and more rare. Nexus 7 (2013's) are in most major stores and seem to have good exposure. Samsung's offerings, while still sub-par for what you pay, by-and-large aren't horrible. The previously mentioned Hisense Sero 7 Pro is a no-name Wal-Mart tablet that's actually relatively decent as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They have these in stock at a nearby wal mart. Been thinking of checking it out but want to get a 10" or so screen.

7" screen is great for streaming, but kinda crap for reading comics.

For a few months there were tons of Nook HD+ refurbs selling for slightly over $100. While it's no Nexus 10, it had a 1 year warranty and a 9" 1920x1280 screen and can be loaded with with CM 10.1 relatively easy if you are comfortable with changing the firmware. I don't see any deals right now, but you might want to keep an eye out on Slickdeals in case any pop up.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For a few months there were tons of Nook HD+ refurbs selling for slightly over $100. While it's no Nexus 10, it had a 1 year warranty and a 9" 1920x1280 screen and can be loaded with with CM 10.1 relatively easy if you are comfortable with changing the firmware. I don't see any deals right now, but you might want to keep an eye out on Slickdeals in case any pop up.

I own a HD+. Once you CM on it it's acceptable but still a little laggy to use. However the screen is phenomenal, great res, great viewing angles and bright. There is no auto brightness and several other compromises, but it sure looks great. A couple weeks ago the Nook HD was selling about $60. I can only assume it shares the same characteristics of great screen, and so-so performance after switch to CM.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I can handle a not great screen. I mostly need the size cause it seems like reading comic books (which is about 80% of what this tablet would be used for) on a 7" screen would be hell.

Keeping my eye out for a HD+ though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Eh, I can handle a not great screen. I mostly need the size cause it seems like reading comic books (which is about 80% of what this tablet would be used for) on a 7" screen would be hell.

I can't say for sure because I haven't used a big lovely tablet, but i would imagine that a great screen on a 7" tablet would be easier to read comics on than a 10" low resolution screen. I've never had trouble with comics on my Nexus 7.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've read em on my hp touchpad that's running a version of android. and that's about as small as I'd like the screen.

I wear glasses, so a smaller screen would make me a bit nervous about being able to read em.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Picked up a tf701 + dock since I had a 201 and then a 700.

Definitely not ready for prime time.

The tablet has a bug which causes it to constantly fluctuate in brightness..something related a smart dimmer function not actually turning off despite toggles.

The dock has a connection issue, in that it drops connection from the tablet with the slightest move, pretty much insuring you'll corrupt any drives or cards during a write. (amazon has pulled this thing twice already)

It's a shame, its a really smooth and powerful tablet. I'm hoping they get their poo poo together and fix these issues so I can rebuy the thing. As it stands now, avoid it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I agree that 7" for comics is pretty bad. I personally read them on a retina iPad but those are obviously a bit more expensive.

Also note that there are only 3 Android tablets over 7" that comiXology currently supports for HD comics: Nexus 10 and the two models of 8.9" Kindle. This is assuming you do not steal your comics (please don't steal comics)

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I agree that 7" for comics is pretty bad. I personally read them on a retina iPad but those are obviously a bit more expensive.

Also note that there are only 3 Android tablets over 7" that comiXology currently supports for HD comics: Nexus 10 and the two models of 8.9" Kindle. This is assuming you do not steal your comics (please don't steal comics)

I've found that continued use of the Nexus 7 is increasing my desire for a 9 inch plust ablet, but there's really nothing good on the Android side that seems to be worth the money without flashing. My Touchpad is still hard to beat right now.

Anyone used the GPE LG Pad yet?

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just got a 2012 N7, for use a primarily a Chromecast controller. I'd like to keep my personal emails and stuff locked under my own user, which is fine. However, I also want everyone to have to access to Netflix/Hulu+/youtube/etc. Is there a good way to set up a guest account, or a blank user that can access those specific apps, and maybe a few games or something?

e: Oh cool, restricted accounts are in after I updated it. Disregard this, I guess!

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 20, 2013

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Cojawfee posted:

It has a GPS radio and gets its signal from the actual satellites. You will either need a data plan or tether from your phone in order to use google maps unless you download the maps for where you are going ahead of time.

I recently went to Canada and had great luck with OsmAnd Maps & Navigation. Uses open source maps and it's completely free.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am flying to England soon and I want to make maps of London available offline on my N7.

I have found that I can center the maps app on a location and then press "Make this map area available offline", but I see no further confirmation that I am doing things right. Before I get lost in London, please give me any tips you've got for cached navigation. Specifically, I want to know:

- How can I confirm what areas are cached locally? (Maybe see a box drawn around them)
- How do I delete the local cache when I am done? (Is it automatic after x time?)
- Can I save an entire route, such as a specific train route that I will be traveling, so I can look up the whole journey while offline?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am flying to England soon and I want to make maps of London available offline on my N7.

I have found that I can center the maps app on a location and then press "Make this map area available offline", but I see no further confirmation that I am doing things right. Before I get lost in London, please give me any tips you've got for cached navigation. Specifically, I want to know:

- How can I confirm what areas are cached locally? (Maybe see a box drawn around them)
- How do I delete the local cache when I am done? (Is it automatic after x time?)
- Can I save an entire route, such as a specific train route that I will be traveling, so I can look up the whole journey while offline?

Rest assured Britain has Wifi capability. And quite often free.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Have had a Nexus 7 for the past month and really like it, but there's a few things about it that drive me absolutely nuts. The biggest recently, every time it connects to a network it defaults to using a proxy which makes half my apps (seemingly chosen at random, save for a few that always break like the Steam app) completely refuse to connect to the internet until I go in manually and set the proxy from "manual" to "none", at which point they immediately begin working again. Can anyone tell me why this breaks everything or, failing that, how I can set it up to default to "none"? It doesn't matter if a network has been set to not use a proxy before, it will change back every time, despite successfully saving the static ip settings (and yes I've tried it with and without a static ip set).

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

In the old maps there was a list of locations cached, but in the current maps there's no way to tell. I don't think you can delete them without clearing the app's data.

Also, keep in mind that it is only caching the map tiles, you can't look up directions without a data connection. If you look up directions before disconnecting they'll still be there, and I've heard that if you start navigation while connected to data it will continue to work as long as it doesn't need to recalculate the route.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I figured I would post here first before making a thread.

Is there a way to wirelessly stream your android tablet to a tv? I saw a $30 chrome cast-like HDMI dongle device that sort of was capable of it, but it had some lag issues with games and sounds stuttering as well. Video playback seemed fine at 1080p with no stuttering. However, the user experience from the video I saw of someone using this HDMI dongle was of constant connection issues when trying to start a connection.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Is there a way to wirelessly stream your android tablet to a tv? I saw a $30 chrome cast-like HDMI dongle device that sort of was capable of it, but it had some lag issues with games and sounds stuttering as well. Video playback seemed fine at 1080p with no stuttering. However, the user experience from the video I saw of someone using this HDMI dongle was of constant connection issues when trying to start a connection.

Chromecast can't do games (yet...maybe) and if you saw someone doing it, they hacked it in so it wasn't going to be good anyway.

Right now, though, there's no way to wirelessly stream games like that. Maybe officially with Chromecast though and not with REALLY strenuous games...but Google has to open the Google Cast SDK first.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Depends what tablet you have. Nexus 7 (2013 only) and Nexus 10 both support Miracast, as do some recent TVs. In theory you can also buy Miracast->HDMI dongles but they cam be difficult to find.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Depends what tablet you have. Nexus 7 (2013 only) and Nexus 10 both support Miracast, as do some recent TVs. In theory you can also buy Miracast->HDMI dongles but they cam be difficult to find.

I forgot about Miracast. :v: However, it looks like the game in question has to support Casting.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Chromecast can't do games (yet...maybe) and if you saw someone doing it, they hacked it in so it wasn't going to be good anyway.

Right now, though, there's no way to wirelessly stream games like that. Maybe officially with Chromecast though and not with REALLY strenuous games...but Google has to open the Google Cast SDK first.

It was a hdmi dongle like chromecast, but it had an additional wifi receiver/antenna thing that sticks out. The dongle only costs $30 when I saw it on amazon. I believe the company's name starts with an E.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I forgot about Miracast. :v: However, it looks like the game in question has to support Casting.
Oh, I thought Miracast provided OS-level screen mirroring.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Oh, I thought Miracast provided OS-level screen mirroring.
It does! I think games need explicit support to be playable, though, when I tried it with Asphalt 8 there was too much latency on the TV.

e: Here's a picture. Note that the 16:10 image from the tablet is pillarboxed on the 16:9 TV.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 23, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

zer0spunk posted:

Picked up a tf701 + dock since I had a 201 and then a 700.

Definitely not ready for prime time.

The tablet has a bug which causes it to constantly fluctuate in brightness..something related a smart dimmer function not actually turning off despite toggles.

The dock has a connection issue, in that it drops connection from the tablet with the slightest move, pretty much insuring you'll corrupt any drives or cards during a write. (amazon has pulled this thing twice already)

It's a shame, its a really smooth and powerful tablet. I'm hoping they get their poo poo together and fix these issues so I can rebuy the thing. As it stands now, avoid it.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

But really. Why do they keep doing this? I'm fine with my TF700 for the next longwhile but it's still a letdown.

SlayVus posted:

Just saw this recently. Haven't looked into it at all.

AllCast for Android leaves beta, streams media to your Apple TV, Roku or Xbox (video)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/23/allcast-for-android-leaves-beta-streams-media-to-your-apple-tv/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Christoff posted:

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

But really. Why do they keep doing this? I'm fine with my TF700 for the next longwhile but it's still a letdown.

They had to revise the 30 pin connector, I'm guessing to deal with usb 3.0 which meant they had to revise the docking mechanism that was basically unchanged through about 6 different models. I probably should have known better then to give the first run a chance, especially since it's ASUS and their QA is all over the place.

It's a huge bummer to see what the 700 would be like without the terrible I/O making it lag on basic things. Not to say the 700 isn't useable, but we're talking night and day between it and the 701.

I'm not trying to slag it off too much, it's hardware from late 2011 and we're about to be in 2014.

It might get me to try the transformer they are announcing at CES that can dual boot android and win8 instead, or just go with a win8 2014 model all together now that battery life is finally on par with ARM more or less.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I got my parents a Chromecast. They have a Kindle Fire HD. I figured out how to use 1mobile market to get it working with YouTube and Netflix; I'm trying to figure out how to get HBO Go working with it, though. Google hasn't thus far been helpful; any tips?

I'd prefer not to root it, as they aren't terribly technically savvy.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

melon cat posted:

I just got a 16GB Nexus 7 (I actually won it at a raffle. Score!).

But now I have no idea where to start. Should I be rooting this device? Anything you suggest doing before I run the system update? Which brand of carrying case is the best bang for my buck?

\/Thanks! I might just do that. It doesn't seem to be completely overloaded with bloatware, which is nice to see.
This came really slow but I just got a 2013 N7 a few weeks ago, so yeah, unlock the bootloader while you don't have anything important on it, there are lots of reasons to root it, if you feel like rooting it later this will make it trivial instead of a huge pain in the rear end. I have a cheap but good folio case and one of those $20 keyboard cases that is more a keyboard than a case, it's great, use both for different purposes.

ejstheman posted:

I kind of figured that, haha. When I saw there were a few available, I started to think, "well, maybe it's not too ridiculously small...."
I did a bunch of research and would never buy one of those lovely folio cases with a bluetooth keyboard built into it, they look loving stupid and must be bulky as hell. I bought one of those generic BT keyboard-hardcase combos though, and it's been amazing. They're like $15 and way less bulky than a folio case. It's like a detachable hard screen protector with a loving keyboard inside it that makes my tablet a ghetto laptop, loving awesome.

I'm mostly concerned about my tablet getting scratched up by keys and stuff, though, so maybe other people have a need for huge soft cases with flaps and pockets and stands? I guess this kind of case also wouldn't be super useful if you weren't always carrying your tablet along with a bag, unless you had hands big enough to hold the tablet nested in the upside-down keyboard case.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Mein Eyes! posted:

Yeah, something like this is what I'm sort of looking for, maybe. I have other issues with my screen sensitivity to bother with trying a BT stylus on it, but I've got an old Wacom pad laying around that if I can use an OTG thing with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, I'll maybe try it, and it's small/old/tough enough to risk toting around in a backpack, too.

I bit the bullet and just ordered one that should be compatible with my tab, so hopefully it'll work for just wanting to do some decent sketching around with until I get one of the more pen-oriented tablets.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I got a 2013 N7 for Christmas, and I'm curious about a coupe of things:
1. How do I root this thing? I got all paranoid when I started googling guides and they told me to download things from strange websites.
2. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard? I'm probably going to get a pretty simple case, so it doesn't have to fit the tablet or anything like that. I read that some people had connectivity and lag troubles with bluetooth keyboards, is that common for the 2013 version?
3. Is there any way to customize the number of home screens? I'd love to have them out of the way until I actually fill them up with something.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Black Griffon posted:

I got a 2013 N7 for Christmas, and I'm curious about a coupe of things:
1. How do I root this thing? I got all paranoid when I started googling guides and they told me to download things from strange websites.
That's how rooting anything works. You unlock the bootloader with adb (this will erase your device), download some rom/kernel from some strange website and flash it. It will give you root access and most likely not brick your N7.
What do you need root for?

Black Griffon posted:

3. Is there any way to customize the number of home screens? I'd love to have them out of the way until I actually fill them up with something.

Download another launcher that does this. Apex or Nova for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sereri posted:

That's how rooting anything works. You unlock the bootloader with adb (this will erase your device), download some rom/kernel from some strange website and flash it. It will give you root access and most likely not brick your N7.

This is slightly off base, only because there's no ROM or kernel involved with rooting an N7, but you do need a custom recovery after you unlock the bootloader. From there, you'd flash supersu.zip and then you're rooted. Am I missing a step? I seem to recall that the OS would try to restore the recovery upon reboot, and you had to do something to disable that?