Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Farecoal posted:

If I'm remembering correctly Sirtis once said she tried doing an action shot that her stunt double was supposed to do (fall backwards to the ground and faint) and she broke her coccyx. Actors have delicate bones

This is pretty funny.

But really, I'm just making fun of that one Geordi scene where he dives under a closing door that Andre the Giant could walk under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is pretty funny.

But really, I'm just making fun of that one Geordi scene where he dives under a closing door that Andre the Giant could walk under.

Drama requires you to go big or go home.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farecoal posted:

If I'm remembering correctly Sirtis once said she tried doing an action shot that her stunt double was supposed to do (fall backwards to the ground and faint) and she broke her coccyx. Actors have delicate bones

Not only that, but instead of getting a closeup of the stunt, it ended up being a long shot and you couldn't tell it was her anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Considering how bad Levar's vision was in that visor, maybe he was just legitimately surprised it was already moving.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kelvron posted:

Thanks for backing me up. Phone posting here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Also a stuntperson getting a big ol knot on their forehead or a black eye or worse won't gently caress up shooting as bad as it would the actor. You've only got one Patrick Stewart to shoot around for the close up dialogue scenes, but you can put a bald cap on practically any motherfucker for a two second medium shot of him jumping behind a rock or whatever.

It's also a matter of paying the actors. If a ton of the stunts that are going to be shot happen after a cut, you can shoot all those separately from the scenes the "real" actors are in and don't have to pay nearly as much to have them on set.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Thanks for backing me up. Phone posting here.

No problem. Trying to build up my Trek images collection.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kibayasu posted:

It's also a matter of paying the actors. If a ton of the stunts that are going to be shot happen after a cut, you can shoot all those separately from the scenes the "real" actors are in and don't have to pay nearly as much to have them on set.

Yeah. Not even just for stunts, if you need a close cut-away of a pair of hands tapping on an LCARS display or a pair of feet walking down a corridor or something why bother keeping the big names on the set for that when no recognize them by their hands (James Doohan excepted)?

Not sure if Next Gen did that but I know a lot of productions do.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

kelvron posted:

Go big or go home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN001iUenmU&t=44s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sometimes the supernumerary bridge crew were the main actors' doubles since you've already got them on set.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Otisburg posted:

Yeah. Not even just for stunts, if you need a close cut-away of a pair of hands tapping on an LCARS display or a pair of feet walking down a corridor or something why bother keeping the big names on the set for that when no recognize them by their hands (James Doohan excepted)?

Not sure if Next Gen did that but I know a lot of productions do.

Exactly so. Especially if you only realize later you need that insert, no way in hell will you pull Frakes out of whatever he's up to just to film him pointing out icons on a map or whatever.

Hell, sometimes you just grab the photo double for a quick over-the-shoulder for someone else because maybe Dorn is shooting another scene, he's out on location, and your dailies of this angle from before are poo poo. So you throw his photo double into costume, grab Deanna, and reshoot her over his shoulder. Done and done.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

^^^
A lot of 2nd unit stuff is filmed that way too.

:sigh: I need to learn how to make gifs

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
She did it the safe way the first time, but it wasn't stunty enough for the director!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L10qa4SVV4s&t=95s

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 22, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I suffer from the same affliction as people who think the Prophets storyline is anything but complete bullshit.

You could've just said "I have terrible taste."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

I thought main cast (i.e. the people who get their names in the title cards) got paid basically no matter what? Or is that just like the stars (i.e. Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Spiner)?

Because my impression is that, 60s TV values aside, Shatner had to be used a lot so they got their money's worth out of the contractually obligated $5000 per episode.

EDIT: Or at least, I thought once any of the main cast were in an episode, they were paid fully for that episode, regardless of how many lines or scenes they had.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 22, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't care for the actual direct interactions with the Prophets - because honestly, vague pronouncements full of mystery and ominous portent don't really do it for me except as a prelude to a Kirk-style dethroning - but I love all of the political intrigue surrounding the Bajoran story, which definitely includes the church politics of the Kai and the Vedek Assembly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The resolution to the Prophets' story might be dumb but remember that the best episodes of Voyager LITERALLY threw it all away on a huge reset button.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, when the Prophents were used as Big Mystery stuff like they were in S6, and especially S7, it was bad, because that kind of poo poo is just the death of good serialized TV. As a concept, they were very nice, especially in the early seasons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought main cast (i.e. the people who get their names in the title cards) got paid basically no matter what? Or is that just like the stars (i.e. Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Spiner)?

Because my impression is that, 60s TV values aside, Shatner had to be used a lot so they got their money's worth out of the contractually obligated $5000 per episode.

EDIT: Or at least, I thought once any of the main cast were in an episode, they were paid fully for that episode, regardless of how many lines or scenes they had.

Could be, I have exactly 0 experience on TV/movie production. It was something I read and I'm perhaps misinterpreting that point. Maybe when you have the stars on set you need to have more crew around or something. In any case, the point is that most of the time productions will pretty much never use the stars for a shoot unless they have to. If there's scene where you don't see a face, there's a good chance its a double.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Exactly so. Especially if you only realize later you need that insert, no way in hell will you pull Frakes out of whatever he's up to just to film him pointing out icons on a map or whatever.

Hell, sometimes you just grab the photo double for a quick over-the-shoulder for someone else because maybe Dorn is shooting another scene, he's out on location, and your dailies of this angle from before are poo poo. So you throw his photo double into costume, grab Deanna, and reshoot her over his shoulder. Done and done.

I still love the party scene at the end of Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Michael Dorn's photo double is just blatantly sitting at the bar in Worf makeup, silently staring at everyone.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Could be, I have exactly 0 experience on TV/movie production. It was something I read and I'm perhaps misinterpreting that point. Maybe when you have the stars on set you need to have more crew around or something. In any case, the point is that most of the time productions will pretty much never use the stars for a shoot unless they have to. If there's scene where you don't see a face, there's a good chance its a double.

Stars are the single most expensive part of any shoot and after 8 hours you typically have to pay them double in compensation. Plus actors are loving annoying to work with. It's much easier and cheaper to get a double to do the more ancillary shots generally speaking. Also there are many cases where an actor is getting ready for a different shot and you just grab whoever you can who's in costume because it's quick and easy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kelvron posted:

He's not diving under the door, he's diving under the invisible cloud of deuterium gas filling Engineering from the ceiling down, you just can't see it because you don't have a VISOR :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

I wanna see the take where he runs face first into the door trying to just crouch under it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tony Montana posted:

Ah, but the Higgs Field.

This isn't my professional field, but the way I understand it is the Higgs feild which was recently discovered by CERN is a fundamental of how physics explains how mass works. It explains how some things have mass when they shouldn't.

It could be centuries from now, but perhaps one day we can manipulate this field or effect. We can manipulate mass. Then all your standard equations like inertia and momentum, even traveling at the speed of light all get quite hosed up if you can either reduce mass to zero (or near zero) or go the other way and increase it to astronomical levels. This would enable entire branches of stellar and craft engineering currently literally physically impossible.

Just catching up, and ~~this is my field~~

Even if you removed the Higgs coupling from everything, most actual stuff would only lose about half its mass. This is because about half the mass of a proton or neutron is from the energy of the gluon-gluon interactions rather than from the quarks that make them up.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just catching up, and ~~this is my field~~

Even if you removed the Higgs coupling from everything, most actual stuff would only lose about half its mass. This is because about half the mass of a proton or neutron is from the energy of the gluon-gluon interactions rather than from the quarks that make them up.

Woah there buddy, we don't take well to actual science around these here parts. Unless you can speak :techno: we ain't interested.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Quarks? I know all about Quark. I'm warming to him but it took some time. His brother is more likable just because he's an idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Woah there buddy, we don't take well to actual science around these here parts. Unless you can speak :techno: we ain't interested.

A surprisingly large amount of the mass of your body is made up of antimatter, you have to be able to :techno: that in somewhere

(It's about 10% if memory serves)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A surprisingly large amount of the mass of your body is made up of antimatter, you have to be able to :techno: that in somewhere

Hold the communicator, what?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 22, 2013

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*explodes with the force of a photonic torpedo*

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If we're going there the vast majority of your body consists of absolutely nothing. Only thing that holds it together is some electric field that's insignificant past any appreciable distance.

Oh and decouple your Heisenberg compensator and you're hosed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This seems implausible, unless you mean in the sense that your body contains particles which in a different configuration would be antimatter. In which case well yes, the salt I put on my eggs would be a lethal explosive and deadly gas, but that doesn't mean I'm x.x% deadly corrosive gas.

Well, I am, but that gas is oxygen :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/largehadroncolliderfaq/whats-a-proton-anyway/

:science:

DemeaninDemon posted:

If we're going there the vast majority of your body consists of absolutely nothing.

In terms of space, yes. But then again it's entirely possible that all fundamental particles have no volume (ie point particles) and so then the entirety of your body will consist of absolutely nothing!

vvv I'm a physicist, I do know what I'm talking about. But yes, PET scans are :c00l:. So're normal CAT scans (mathematically speaking) too - and MRIs use some pretty great physics as well (direct, measurable consequence of fermions having spin)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah this isn't true. All antimatter you encounter on Earth is artificially created. Why there isn't still antimatter around naturally anywhere we can observe is one of the mysteries of modern physics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon_asymmetry

It is encountered in one weird mundane place though: hospitals, as PET scans use it. The P stands for positron.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah this isn't true. All antimatter you encounter on Earth is artificially created. Why there isn't still antimatter around naturally anywhere we can observe is one of the mysteries of modern physics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon_asymmetry

It is encountered in one weird mundane place though: hospitals, as PET scans use it. The P stands for positron.

Depends what you consider artificial. Anti-matter is a perfectly natural product of radioactive decay. Emitting a positron is just one way for an atom to decay. Electron capture is another way. Some emit neutrinos (anti-neutrinos) that rarely even interact with matter. The sun emits super butt tons of them that pass harmlessly through you.

I'm just going to go ahead and not think about that point particle thing. I'm a chemist I don't need that poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Depends what you consider artificial. Anti-matter is a perfectly natural product of radioactive decay. Emitting a positron is just one way for an atom to decay. Electron capture is another way. Some emit neutrinos (anti-neutrinos) that rarely even interact with matter. The sun emits super butt tons of them that pass harmlessly through you.

I meant like there's no big pile of antimatter sitting around anywhere we can see. Just stray particles from radioactive decay/cosmic rays/etc. So far, anyway.

So how do antiquarks work? If 10% of regular matter is made of antiquarks why don't they annihilate? Do we know?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

If 10% of regular matter is made of antiquarks why don't they annihilate? Do we know?

They do!

This is something called "pair production". Some exchange particle (ie a photon or a gluon or whatnot) has enough energy to turn into two actual particles (through E=mc2, there's a probability that it can turn into a particle and its antiparticle (the same reaction as the two annihilating eachother, but in reverse).

Amazingly, this can also happen when the gluon doesn't have enough energy to do this(!!!) if the particle is short lived, due to the uncertainty principle! (small uncertainty in time due to short lifespan = big uncertainty in energy)

So what's happening inside the proton is that a gluon is bobbing along with some energy, it turns into an antiparticle/particle pair with the same total energy as the original gluon and then they recombine back into a gluon with the original energy. The Feynman diagram for that is below (dodgily drawn in ms paint):

This is going on all the time, so while there's a load of antiquarks at any one time they will all be annihilated within a fraction of a second, and a load of new ones will have turned up instead.

Also, a gluon can only turn into quarks and not things like electrons because gluons carry colour and that colour has to go somewhere (electrons don't carry colour, but quarks do). Colour being another charge like + or - electrical charge, but there's 6 kinds - red, green, blue, antired, antigreen, antiblue.

Quantum Physics is really strange in ways you don't really anticipate.

[edit]

Pair production is also involved in the coolest thing I've heard of from astrophysics, a pair instability supernova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_instability_supernova

quote:

For very high mass stars, with mass at least 130 and up to perhaps roughly 250 solar masses, a true pair-instability supernova can occur. In these stars, the first time that conditions support pair creation instability, the situation runs out of control. The collapse proceeds to efficiently compress the star's core; the overpressure is sufficient to allow runaway nuclear fusion to burn it in a few seconds, creating a thermonuclear explosion

Yep, that's a star going from 250 solar masses to nothing left behind in a few seconds.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 22, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Look at these nerds nerding up the Trek thread.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Science.. in my scifi?

Nah go hard lads, wouldn't be here in the first place if this stuff didn't interest me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Virtual particles. :argh:

I assume the change into two particles then the annihilation are the same amount of energy and balance out? Otherwise 10% of your mass constantly annihilating seems like you'd notice.

Vagabundo posted:

Look at these nerds nerding up the Trek thread.

If you don't read physics books for fun you are without honor. :colbert:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 22, 2013

• Locked thread