Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sedaps posted:

My wife and I recently move to iPhone from Android, got a question on what you guys are doing for photo backup. Android have very nice automated Camera Upload to Dropbox so any new pictures will get uploaded in the background. I realize iPhone probably doesn't give 3rd party apps enough power for this. What you guys doing? Is it a manual process?

Just looking for a recommendation for a good solution here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask.

The best app is actually IFTTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

sedaps posted:

My wife and I recently move to iPhone from Android, got a question on what you guys are doing for photo backup. Android have very nice automated Camera Upload to Dropbox so any new pictures will get uploaded in the background. I realize iPhone probably doesn't give 3rd party apps enough power for this. What you guys doing? Is it a manual process?

Just looking for a recommendation for a good solution here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask.

You should get loom. It's cheaper than Dropbox, and is really what photo stream should be.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ZShakespeare posted:

You should get loom. It's cheaper than Dropbox, and is really what photo stream should be.

Goddammit, I wish I would've known about this before upgrading my Dropbox account.

How well does it sync with PC/Macs? I actually put iPhoto into a Dropbox folder so that I can view photos from any of my devices, if Loom can do the same I think I'll switch to that next year because Dropbox's photo interface stinks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Why get any of that when flickr offers a terabyte of free space? The flickr app has auto upload too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream video from my camera directly to my PC? I don't have enough storage space to save long videos to my phone.
And on a similar note, something that let's me use my iPad or iPhone as a webcam to my PC would be neat!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Why get any of that when flickr offers a terabyte of free space? The flickr app has auto upload too.

The Flickr app was buggy for me on Android and iOS and after several failed uploads I just decided to uninstall it completely from everything.

Also Dropbox is more convenient for me personally because in addition to syncing all my photos I use it to send clients huge quantities of video for work. Flickr has all sorts of restrictions for that and getting a large number of files sent isn't as easy as it is on Dropbox.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I rather keep a large portion of my poo poo accessible the way I do files.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

1st AD posted:

The Flickr app was buggy for me on Android and iOS and after several failed uploads I just decided to uninstall it completely from everything.
Huh weird. It works fine for me. Never had any issues.

I use iPhoto and Dropbox too because I'm crazy when it comes to backing up photos but I prefer flickr to both of them for backups. I use IFTTT to backup my Instagram photos to flickr too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Problem is, try sending someone a bunch of poo poo from Flickr to download. You have to go through their awful web interface and if you're dealing with like 50gb/300 video clips good luck getting someone to download all that manually. On Dropbox you can just invite them to the folder and it downloads everything. There are no file size restrictions, no restrictions on length of videos either.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

1st AD posted:

Problem is, try sending someone a bunch of poo poo from Flickr to download. You have to go through their awful web interface and if you're dealing with like 50gb/300 video clips good luck getting someone to download all that manually. On Dropbox you can just invite them to the folder and it downloads everything. There are no file size restrictions, no restrictions on length of videos either.

Oh yeah I totally see why that's easier for you, I was just talking about personal photo backups, not work stuff. I don't really even look at my flickr account, it's just a big ol' dump of literally every photo I take.

You know what was cool? Snapjoy. I loved it. Then Dropbox bought it and shut it down. :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don't forget Amazon Cloud Drive Photos.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let me throw this out there too. If you have drop box you can find people on http://fiverr.com/ that you can pay $5 and they'll max out your referrals. Then get a edu address somewhere and link it to the account to double that. I've picked up things here and there and my free dropbox account has 26.8gb.

sedaps
Jan 29, 2004
Oh wow, a lot of really good recommendations from everyone, didn't know there were so many good choices now, haven't used iPhone since 3GS. Going to check out all the suggestions. The main thing for my wife is she's afraid to lose all the baby pictures of our son, so a lot of space, reliability and ease of upload will be the deciding factors. She shares the pictures via other social networking platform so not too concern on ease of file transfer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

For auto uploads, I'm not a fan of any service that exists mainly to make your photos public, and you have to override that to keep them private. Something goes wrong and now all your photos are public as soon as you take them.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

smackfu posted:

For auto uploads, I'm not a fan of any service that exists mainly to make your photos public, and you have to override that to keep them private. Something goes wrong and now all your photos are public as soon as you take them.

Auto uploaded photos are private by default. Public auto uploads aren't even an option on the flickr app. You can change the privacy later but it will never upload your photos as public.

e: for something as important as baby pictures, I'd suggest more than one backup method. What I do for really important files and photos (like my wedding pictures) is I make a local backup and let Backblaze back it all up for me. This is in addition to dumping a copy on flickr and Dropbox. iOS is great but it still doesn't like things running in the background and sometimes auto uploads will fail.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 20, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, if you are serious about backing up your stuff (and in the case of irreplaceable stuff like baby photos you should be) you want to have a three point backup system. I use iPhoto as my canonical library on my mac (I'm likely going to switch to lightroom/regular filesystem when I pick up a micro 4/3rd), which automatically uploads to backblaze, and to a hard disk that sits next to my router. The chances of all three of these failing simultaneously is probably reserved for the apocalypse.

Loom is really just so that I can have my entire library available easily on the internet for sharing etc, I don't count it as a backup solution.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
For people that use Dropbox auto-upload: how do you handle organization? Right now my camera uploads folder is just a mess with everything there ordered by date. When I transfer my camera roll to my PC I stick photos in a rudimentary folder structure organized by year / month and event if there are a lot of photos specifically from one event.

How does Loom organize your photos? Since it's photo specific I would imagine it has more options than Dropbox.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream video from my camera directly to my PC? I don't have enough storage space to save long videos to my phone.

AirBeam should do this. You will need to have the Transfer Recordings options ticked, then initiate the stream from the computer and it should save to the computer.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

DarkJC posted:

For people that use Dropbox auto-upload: how do you handle organization? Right now my camera uploads folder is just a mess with everything there ordered by date. When I transfer my camera roll to my PC I stick photos in a rudimentary folder structure organized by year / month and event if there are a lot of photos specifically from one event.
if you're nerdy enough to run python scripts, this blog post will likely help: http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2013/10/photo-management-via-the-finder/

I haven't tried it, but twitter seems to approve.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man I just import all my photos into Lightroom. The catalogue is backed up on another harddrive in my house and offsite with crashplan.

You could do the same thing without Lightroom, since I imagine that's a bit overkill for your wife. Just backup with iTunes and have your iTunes folder sync with the cloud through an automatic service. I wouldn't trust important data to mobile backup clients.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DarkJC posted:

This probably doesn't help since you're on a PC and not a Mac, but I have a few Hazel rules on my Mac that moves the files from the Dropbox Camera Upload folder into my Pictures folder, and then organizes them into folder by year and month.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

To be honest iPhoto kind of does exactly what he wants since it splits by date and events, but I don't think there's anything on PC that's remotely equivalent.

Lightroom isn't an option unless Adobe added the ability to access your library on mobile through Adobe CC somewhere.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

DarkJC posted:

How does Loom organize your photos? Since it's photo specific I would imagine it has more options than Dropbox.

It's just another camera roll. You can create albums and all that stuff. If you import from iPhoto it will preserve your events. It has a timeline view that aggregates all of your sources by date. I'm hoping that as it matures it will gain feature parity with everpix.

The killer app here is having your entire photo collection on the web/your phone, and being able to easily share.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Does anybody monitor a pet cam through their iPhone? Got a new dog that I want to keep an eye on throughout the day while at work. I've been looking at iCam, but the article I read is more than 2 years old.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is lemon the best app for keeping copies of credit cards on your phone or is there a better app?

Edit: I guess I need something for shopping cards and poo poo like that too.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 21, 2013

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I like "fun" language apps like Cat Spanish. Is there anything else like that for Spanish or other languages?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Haggins posted:

Is lemon the best app for keeping copies of credit cards on your phone or is there a better app?

Edit: I guess I need something for shopping cards and poo poo like that too.
I didn't like the idea of Lemon storing everything on their servers myself so ended up never even setting it up. I have Key Ring for shopping cards...but haven't actually used it.

Someone mentioned printing your own barcodes with sites like Just One Club Card and I ended up doing that for some store cards and gift cards. Used this barcode scanner to get the code/code types for stuff that wasn't preset on the site. Kinda ghetto but it has worked so far, albeit I noticed it's been unnecessary in some cases since I could just use enter my phone number.

Mad Wack posted:

I like "fun" language apps like Cat Spanish. Is there anything else like that for Spanish or other languages?
Never used Cat Spanish so I don't know how "fun" it is, but maybe check out Duolingo.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

I'm not sure what Cat Spanish is, but Duolingo is pretty popular and supports Spanish, French, German, and Portuguese last I checked.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Kameh posted:

Does anybody monitor a pet cam through their iPhone? Got a new dog that I want to keep an eye on throughout the day while at work. I've been looking at iCam, but the article I read is more than 2 years old.

I use a foscam that I bought from Amazon with an app called surveillance pro.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

After the way Everpix ended up, there's no way I'd trust Loom over an established company like Dropbox

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

After the way Everpix ended up, there's no way I'd trust Loom over an established company like Dropbox

They provided a service for money and they delivered that service. Until they couldn't and they gave everyone their money back. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kameh posted:

A baby is sort if like a human puppy. ;)

We love our Dropcam Pro.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know people that use foscams and dropcams and I've heard no complaints from them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Could you set up a webcam for a private Livestream and just view that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Having a lot of fun with keezy, a simple little sampler. The last updated added a few presets done by Reggie Watts and the ability to save your own. It's really fun for kids!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Having a lot of fun with keezy, a simple little sampler. The last updated added a few presets done by Reggie Watts and the ability to save your own. It's really fun for kids!

This thing is awesome. Everyone should get it.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Any suggestions on a keepass compatible app that can read the kdbx file? Mini keepass seems to be the only one so far on the App Store.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Any suggestions on a keepass compatible app that can read the kdbx file? Mini keepass seems to be the only one so far on the App Store.

I think that's the only one. Works pretty well, I've been using it since I got an iPhone.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got my old man an iPad Air for Christmas and I want to load it up with movies and tv shows that I have on my computer but I'm trying to find the best way to do this. Most of my video files are MKV format. I know with the VLC app I can get them on there but I don't like the lack of folders specially for TV shows.

Anyone recommend an app or should I bite the bullet and handbrake everything for him to just view in iTunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Housh posted:

I got my old man an iPad Air for Christmas and I want to load it up with movies and tv shows that I have on my computer but I'm trying to find the best way to do this. Most of my video files are MKV format. I know with the VLC app I can get them on there but I don't like the lack of folders specially for TV shows.

Anyone recommend an app or should I bite the bullet and handbrake everything for him to just view in iTunes?

I user AVPlayerHD you can start an FTP server within AVPlayer and copy files across. I've also created folders via FTP and they show up fine within the app.

It also plays just about any format, but i don't think i've specifically tried MKV.

• Locked thread