Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best part of this stream is the drunk guy having a giggle fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

IronicDongz posted:

The best part of this stream is the drunk guy having a giggle fit.

More like he tried to make a Warhammer 40k joke and laughed for 5 minutes strait before maybe passing out. This poo poo is weird.

Edit: Nope, he just had to take a time out.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Well dont bother reporting the setting a homeplanet you've never been to to teleport there for free exploit because tiy just did it so he wouldn't have to find fuel :v:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Did they give and ETA on the next patch?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speedball posted:

Is some terrain resistant to meteor destruction? If I build a house of stone and metal will it have less damage? (When I fought the penguin ship it seemed the stone house took longer for it to destroy than the wood one…)

How about the house made of straw? :v:

So this barren terrain should be perfect for building except that I rather like being able to plant stuff, up to and including trees once that makes it in. Did he happen to mention whether or not you could have manually planted flora?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Iny posted:

So I'm making a mod that adds crafted pistols, machine pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and grenade launchers for every tier and every race. Like the normal craftable weapons.

I'm going to need a fuckton of gun names.

If anyone wants to help out, please, by all means. Pun away.

Avian:

Birdshot
Winger
Hawkeye
Freerange

Floran:

Sproutella
Greener
Remote Stabbing device

Glitch:

Hitscan
The Royal
Brain Debugger

Human:

The Destination Detonator

Hylotl:

Tribarrel
Grunter
Scaler

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 22, 2013

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Motherfucker posted:

Human:

The Destination Detonator

Just because there aren't enough references yet, Vera.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Haha, yes. I felt like that movie was ten years long but apparently its just 108 minutes. But, it has also pointed out that we desperately need big badass beards in this game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So if there's a planet wipe but not a character wipe coming, does that mean I should start storing things on my ship so I don't lose them?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
My power flickered while playing on a server at home with my bro. Come back and my character file is corrupted while his is not. What the hell.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So if there's a planet wipe but not a character wipe coming, does that mean I should start storing things on my ship so I don't lose them?

Yeah your ship data is stored with your character instead of your universe, so that is probably safest.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Sledra posted:

So tiy and Molly dropped by a server with me and Braww and in the holiday season gave us both hats, and another fun toy.

What a neat thing. I hope other indie devs are paying attention because Tiy and crew are setting a new standard for awesome community involvement. (I know other people have been making this point some already, but it bears repeating.)

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

Sledra posted:

So tiy and Molly dropped by a server with me and Braww and in the holiday season gave us both hats, and another fun toy.

The best part of this picture is it looks like tiy and Molly should be concerned about the ominous bar at the bottom of the screen...

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

endless spergy planet core chat on the stream making me want to kill myself

EDIT: Although the devs handled it very nicely!

Iny fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 22, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it possible to choose where you beam down on a planet? Like, if I beam down on a planet, explore way off in one direction, and then decide to beam up, is there a way I can mark that beam-up spot and beam down to the same place when I go back?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not at this time, I'm afraid.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd like to see planets have different levels of dangerness, for instance a 'weak' ice planet would just be cold. A 'strong' ice planet would have pits filled with razor sharp icicles, a frozen core, avalanches and all sorts of other nasty bullshit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

I'd like to see planets have different levels of dangerness, for instance a 'weak' ice planet would just be cold. A 'strong' ice planet would have pits filled with razor sharp icicles, a frozen core, avalanches and all sorts of other nasty bullshit.
And I'd like to see reasons to go to that second one over the first one, or just somewhere that isn't cold.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Iny posted:

So I'm making a mod that adds crafted pistols, machine pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and grenade launchers for every tier and every race. Like the normal craftable weapons.

I'm going to need a fuckton of gun names.

If anyone wants to help out, please, by all means. Pun away.

I made you a collaborative spreadsheet to help with this noble endeavor. I'll add my own suggestions to the spreadsheet today and tomorrow.

http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

And I'd like to see reasons to go to that second one over the first one, or just somewhere that isn't cold.

Well for instance the second one, being more foreboding and dangerous, might have a higher chance, or be the location of a special dungeon like a 'USMC robot building facility' dungeon type, perhaps the ore yield goes up by risk, I mean greater risk greater reward is generally the theme, if you prepare for the worst you can receive the best. Maybe the 'death-world' version of ice biomes is the only place to dig up 'core ice' which can be used in a special freeze ray weapon?

I just like high risk places... I mean my first instinct on reaching hell in terraria was 'I'mma live here!' which as it turns out was impossible because there are burrowing critters who can basically fly through empty space to kill your rear end... I just like to have danger around every corner, it's more rewarding when I finally dominate everyone and everything.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I bought this yesterday on the insistence of some friends.

I am still in the minecraft part of the game but I have a small house and found a nice vast cave with slime and sewage and ores all over so I am a happy camper for now.

I have use the beacon and made the Mk. 2 upgrade. Is it enough to have it in my inventory or do I need to place it somewhere?
I also found a tech blueprint, Pulse jump, but I canīt figure out how to use it with the tech interface.

I have 580 fuel so far, should I fill the tank to max before trying to leave or are the planets in tier 2 much better for materials?

Overall a fun little time-killer this game I must say.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You eat it. The techs and the Mk2 upgrade. Once you eat the techs, in the manner that one does a steak or a crisp apple pie, they'll show up in the tech interface.

Tier2 planets aren't any better for materials as far as i know, save that they haven't been mined already. They also aren't any worse. They should give more money but otherwise i think have the same drops.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

By which you mean the monsters will on average drop more money: I've never seen the little things you can smash ever give anything but a few pixels.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
One thing I wish I'd done on the tier 1 and 2 planets is save up a bunch of coal. I put most of it into my fuel tank and thought 1,000 wood would be enough to get me through, but then later found myself limited by a lack of coal. The higher tier metal bars all require 1 coal each, so you can go through several hundred before you know it. Chop down those forests, leave yourself 100 coal per tier of armor/items you want to speed through during this early beta phase.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can always just go back to an earlier sector if you're running low and want to stripmine without the monsters threatening you. The mining / spelunking will be that much faster with your later-sector drill and fancy techs. Grinding early for a permanent stockpile would be kinda boring.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Arsonide posted:

I made you a collaborative spreadsheet to help with this noble endeavor. I'll add my own suggestions to the spreadsheet today and tomorrow.

http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

Oh man, excellent!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I expanded upon my original black cape mod and added a bunch more.

Official mod link here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/more-capes.544/

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Malcolm posted:

One thing I wish I'd done on the tier 1 and 2 planets is save up a bunch of coal. I put most of it into my fuel tank and thought 1,000 wood would be enough to get me through, but then later found myself limited by a lack of coal. The higher tier metal bars all require 1 coal each, so you can go through several hundred before you know it. Chop down those forests, leave yourself 100 coal per tier of armor/items you want to speed through during this early beta phase.

I can usually get by with just using uranium for fuel at that point.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, after much bumbling through their upload UI I think I've put my Type-A Free Trader up for download. Couldn't get the actual mod to upload (kept spitting out an error) so I had to just use an external download link.

Now to play anything but Starbound for a while.

This thing is so cool.

I tried installing it (putting BeowulfStandard in my mods folder) and creating a new character but every time the game freezes when I want to load up the character. I've deleted the modded character and the modfiles and made a new vanilla character and there is no problem there - so somehow the mod freezes Starbound for me. What could the problem be?

FYI, I don't have any other mods. Just this one.

EDIT: I have just tried it with adding BeowulfBackgrounds alongside BeowulfStandard but no cigar. Same freeze.

EDIT2: I've made it work using the guide for existing characters. But still, whenever I use the guide for a new character it freezes.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 22, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anyone got any up to date coordinates for a planet with a frog merchant? I need bombs to test a mod and apparently I can't shove them into a character's starting inventory? :iiam:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Go find yourself a nice desert planet and mine out the crumbly sand when looking for ores, and go to a jungle planet for easy wood/plant fibers. Also, race for the lantern on a stick as fast as you can, the difference it makes is huge.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Commissar Kip posted:

EDIT2: I've made it work using the guide for existing characters. But still, whenever I use the guide for a new character it freezes.

Providing the most relevant bit at the end of starbound.log will help a lot.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Kyrosiris posted:

Providing the most relevant bit at the end of starbound.log will help a lot.

I'd love to but suddenly it seems to have fixed itself :s I've just tried to recreate the problem multiple times but now the ship just spawns normally.

Also, starbound.log seems to recreate itself everytime. So I can't find the one where it all went wrong.

Maybe it was just a blip in my system? :iiam:

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 22, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I think I'm up to seven times tonight that a forgotten comma has made me go on a wild goose chase of "why doesn't it work?!" in my modding work today.

gently caress commas.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Kyrosiris posted:

I think I'm up to seven times tonight that a forgotten comma has made me go on a wild goose chase of "why doesn't it work?!" in my modding work today.

gently caress commas.

For this and similar problems: Get an editor with proper syntax highlighting. It'll help spot these sorts of mistakes, generally.

e: and find some kind of JSON linting tool. That'll catch the tokenising issues that syntax highlighting won't. For maximum enjoyment, get an editor that integrates the linting tool.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bettik posted:

For this and similar problems: Get an editor with proper syntax highlighting. It'll help spot these sorts of mistakes, generally.

I'm using Notepad++, I just don't know that it recognizes it as JSON.

I could be running my works in progress through a JSON parser before I try them out but that would require foresight. :v:

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Kyrosiris posted:

I could be running my works in progress through a JSON parser before I try them out but that would require foresight. :v:

There's some stuff here that might work. I don't use NP++ myself - I've been hooked on Sublime Text for a long time, but it's a pay-for editor. Might be a bit overkill for modding a bideo gaem.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Literally just copy/paste in jsonlint.com to make sure you have valid JSON and you're good to go.

Personally, I'm all about Sublime Text as well and use a built-in linter.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It really irks me that when you smash up a USMC prison in the early sectors all the guys you kill who are holding guns don't even drop really weak sector appropriate guns at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've only gotten to the gamma sector, but when if ever do guns that are actually worthwhile pop up? I have melee weapons that hit for 90 and obliterate anything but a miniboss, yet the best guns I can seem to find barely reach 10 dmg, and that's not even necessarily with a very flattering firing rate.

• Locked thread