Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Cardhu isn't anything to write home about, but its pleasant. For some reason its super popular in Spain and has just recently seen a resurgence elsewhere in the world.

As for crowd-pleasers you might want to try mild speysiders like Glenfiddich or Glenlivet or maybe a light Highlander like Glenmorangie. Personally, the drink I give to friends is always Compass Box's Great King Street blend. It's really mild, fruity and pleasant and it seems like nearly everyone I've given it to loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations on good, peaty Japanese single malts? I'm always interested in trying different versions of scotch and after buying my year's supply of Lagavulin 16, I realized that I've been drinking the same thing for a while now. I'm a big fan of Islay with usual go-to's being the aforementioned Lagavulin and Laphroaig 1/4 Cask.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
well poo poo, a relative and myself get each other a bottle of something every year for an early christmas present. I sent him Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban since he's into the Highland malts, but he really outdid me this year. Because this happened :shepface:

I haven't opened it yet but i'll probably be unable to resist having a small taste tonight.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yeah um, you owe him a Balvenie Tun 1401 or something next time around. ;)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

For my 30th I got a selection of different Whiskys.

Glenmorangie Ealanta - A special edition 19yo Glenmorangie aged in first-use oak barrels. It is deliciously sweet and the finish seems to go on forever. Jim Murray voted it World Whisky of the year 2014, so it has a significant mark-up if you can get hold of it. I'd say it's not worth the £150 you can get it for now, but at the £75 price point it came out at it would've been excellent value.

Ballantines 17 - A scotch blend, but don't let that put you off. This stuff is great drinking, really rich and malty, could easily drink it all in one go!

Glenfiddich 15 Distillery Edition - A nice dram, nothing special. Generally I don't find Glenfiddich to have anything special about it, seems to taste pretty middle-of-the-road to me.

Talisker Storm - This is a slightly odd one. Has a salty taste which I found quite compelling. Need to taste more of it before I make a decision

I think I did well and it's a pretty good haul with a nice variation across the range or prices, blends and tastes.

Squishy
Mar 9, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

"The architect Adolf Loos was ahead of his time with this clear, uncompromising concept of form. This tumbler service is made with a so called brilliant pattern on the base. Each line is still cut by hand and carefully matt-polished. This series paved the way for modern glass design and is another Lobmeyr classic since 1931."

RIP to one of my favorite drinking glasses, the latest victim of my wife's clumsiness. Fortunately I have more, but now I'm all OCD about having an odd number. I figure if I give it a couple of years that'll "correct" itself.

edit: goodnight sweet prince

Why would you want to drink the sweet nectar that is whisky out of a tumbler?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Astarath posted:

I haven't opened it yet but i'll probably be unable to resist having a small taste tonight.
Liquor is for drinking, especially George. But, for real, that is an awesome thing to receive as a gift, especially with how scare they get once any amount of time passes after the release.

StorrowS posted:

Glenmorangie Ealanta - A special edition 19yo Glenmorangie aged in first-use oak barrels. It is deliciously sweet and the finish seems to go on forever. Jim Murray voted it World Whisky of the year 2014, so it has a significant mark-up if you can get hold of it. I'd say it's not worth the £150 you can get it for now, but at the £75 price point it came out at it would've been excellent value.
Ah, lucky. I had been looking for a bottle, but gave up.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 18, 2013

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just listed Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Balvenie 12yo Doublewood as options for Christmas presents to my mum. After which my girlfriend goes "I already sent her some whisky recommendations and she already got some". Let's hope they were good ones!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Elliptical Dick posted:

Just listed Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Balvenie 12yo Doublewood as options for Christmas presents to my mum. After which my girlfriend goes "I already sent her some whisky recommendations and she already got some". Let's hope they were good ones!

Someone is getting some Jack Daniel's Honey for Crimmus! :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My mom sent me out to get some scotch for her to give out, I picked up a Glenmorangie holiday thing with 4 smallish bottles of the 10 year and three of the 12 years. Should be appropriate for what she wants I think.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
If anyone lives near Baltimore Md and wants a free half drank bottle of Balvenie 12 doublewood,let me know. I can't stand it and I'm mixing it with coke to drink it which I'm pretty sure is some sort of mortal sin.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

If anyone lives near Baltimore Md and wants a free half drank bottle of Balvenie 12 doublewood,let me know. I can't stand it and I'm mixing it with coke to drink it which I'm pretty sure is some sort of mortal sin.

If you paid for it, it's yours to do what you want with. Although hearing that does make me a little sad.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

If you paid for it, it's yours to do what you want with. Although hearing that does make me a little sad.

The funny thing is I love my bottle if HP 12 and could pretty much guzzle it. BD12 just doesn't have what I'm looking for I guess.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Astarath posted:

well poo poo, a relative and myself get each other a bottle of something every year for an early christmas present. I sent him Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban since he's into the Highland malts, but he really outdid me this year. Because this happened :shepface:

Aw man, this year's Stagg doesn't qualify as hazardous materials any more. :(

I forget exactly which release I have, but it's either Hazmat III (2006, 140.6%) or Hazmat IV (2007, 144.8%). Drinking it neat is... challenging.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Furious Lobster posted:

Any recommendations on good, peaty Japanese single malts? I'm always interested in trying different versions of scotch and after buying my year's supply of Lagavulin 16, I realized that I've been drinking the same thing for a while now. I'm a big fan of Islay with usual go-to's being the aforementioned Lagavulin and Laphroaig 1/4 Cask.

The Japanese Whiskies tend to be more balanced than scotches on average. That isn't meant as a jab at either style, you just tend not to see extremes with the Japanese Whiskies. The only exception to "few extremes" is that they loving love to put whisky in Sherry casks. Not finish them in Sherry casks, they will put it in only Sherry casks for 14 years (e.g. Memories of Karuizawa 14/16).

That said, I think Hakushu 12 and 18 both have a nice amount of peat with grassiness and a pleasant sweetness. The 18 yr and Lagavulin 16 are my two favourite Whiskies.

The Hakushu 18 will be hard to find in the US for less than $200 (it sells duty free in JP for ~$150). The 12 yr can often be had for $60-$80.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

rufius posted:

The Japanese Whiskies tend to be more balanced than scotches on average. That isn't meant as a jab at either style, you just tend not to see extremes with the Japanese Whiskies. The only exception to "few extremes" is that they loving love to put whisky in Sherry casks. Not finish them in Sherry casks, they will put it in only Sherry casks for 14 years (e.g. Memories of Karuizawa 14/16).

That said, I think Hakushu 12 and 18 both have a nice amount of peat with grassiness and a pleasant sweetness. The 18 yr and Lagavulin 16 are my two favourite Whiskies.

The Hakushu 18 will be hard to find in the US for less than $200 (it sells duty free in JP for ~$150). The 12 yr can often be had for $60-$80.

There was a run of Heavily Peated Hakushu recently, but looking around it appears to be discontinued. There's a handful of places still stocking it, but prices have gone up.

http://www.nicks.com.au/suntory-hakushu-heavily-peated-single-malt-whisky-700ml

I got mine for about £80 if memory serves. A very good dram, an initial clean and mineral taste with a bucket load of peat waiting to catch you out. I'd try a bit now for more info, but I've got to drive somewhere shortly.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

rufius posted:

I couldn't find the Hakushu 18 at all online, it looks the only hits are in HK and England but I'll keep an eye out for the 12 year old in stores.

biglads posted:

There was a run of Heavily Peated Hakushu recently, but looking around it appears to be discontinued. There's a handful of places still stocking it, but prices have gone up.

http://www.nicks.com.au/suntory-hakushu-heavily-peated-single-malt-whisky-700ml

I got mine for about £80 if memory serves. A very good dram, an initial clean and mineral taste with a bucket load of peat waiting to catch you out. I'd try a bit now for more info, but I've got to drive somewhere shortly.

In comparison to the Hakushu 18 above, I could actually find the Heavily Peated one for around £91 - 97 in California; given that the price is higher than your memory is the latter considered to be at a lower quality than the 18? Even so, I'm excited to try different productions of peaty scotches.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Furious Lobster posted:

In comparison to the Hakushu 18 above, I could actually find the Heavily Peated one for around £91 - 97 in California; given that the price is higher than your memory is the latter considered to be at a lower quality than the 18? Even so, I'm excited to try different productions of peaty scotches.

I honestly can't recall ever having Hakushu 18 so I couldn't make a comparison, but I suppose that the price point tells you that Suntory consider the 18 y/o to be a more 'premium' product.

Having said that I preferred the Yamazaki Sherry Cask to the Yamazaki 18 (others on here didn't), although they are both cracking whiskies.

EDIT : Here's the Whisky list of where I'm going to for New Year http://whiskyinn.com/_pdf/whiskylist.pdf
It will be fun

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Heading to Taipei for the weekend. Has anyone been through the duty free there?

Also, the missus mentioned that Taiwan has a few local whiskies, does anyone have any knowledge on the stuff in Taiwan?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Marshall Louis posted:

Heading to Taipei for the weekend. Has anyone been through the duty free there?

Also, the missus mentioned that Taiwan has a few local whiskies, does anyone have any knowledge on the stuff in Taiwan?
Keep an eye out for unique blended malts in Taiwan, they love that stuff. Also Kavalan is the notable local malt whisky distiller. I've had a few of their whiskies and they are wildly different from each other. Solist Sherry was quite rich...a kaleidoscope of very sweet fruits. The Ex-Bourbon was extremely spicy and in a blind taste test I wouldn't even have known it was malt whisky.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Some lately bought bottles from various sources.

After really liking the bottle I have open, I had to have an unopened Adelphi Lochside. The Dailuaine I got on a whim but it's got a really nice taste. A bit shy nose but absolutely lovely taste and color. Shame to drink it even, on account of how pretty it looks. I've only had a bit so far and already think I should have got two.

Some notes on stuff I've had lately:

Lagavulin Elements of Islay Lg3 (55,9%)
This is as raw as Lg2 but not as riotously industrial. Both are pale young spirits, raw and not very flavourful but with a few teaspoons of water this one starts to give up the goods. The smoke here is less greasy than in Lg2, more bonfireish (edit: and coal, lumps of the stuff), and there's a young note of oak, but this is lacking some of that boldness that endeared Lg2 to me even though it, as well as this one too, is a stripped-down version of the normal 12yo. From these humble but heavy fumed beginnings the Lagavulin 16 is quite a jump. Elemental and appreciated as such but only for those with more interest in the distillery, which makes its format, a travel retail exclusive, that much more confusing. Travel retail is that place for easily consumable editions so what a cradle-robbed cask strength NAS Lagavulin was doing there I'll never know.

Scapa 16yo
Nose reminds me of Tobermory but less barnyardish. My guess is artificially coloured. Vague waxy fruit note covered by sometihng taffyish but not at all sweet. Some peat but not much. Mouthfeel: watery at best, a bit of peat sting, no alcohol burn. Taste dryish, with a little white pepper and cork in a bitter taffy wrap, and luggage leather. Not much aftertaste, a hint of booziness, and a mean bitter peat streak lurking at the bottom.

Highland Park Leif Eriksson (40%)
Just like all the reviews I've read mentioned, too watery. It's ok and recognizably HP but as it is I'm passing on this distillery's travel retail wares.

Glenfiddich 15 Solera Vat vs Macallan 1824 Gold
Speyside's not-so-premier cru representing, the Solera Vat being a milestone in blandness from Glenfiddich and the Macallan Gold having received a less than delighted response. I bought a 5cl miniature of the Macallan just to see what's going on and decided to contrast it with the Glenfiddich that I only use as a companion whisky to the stuff I'm actually drinking on any particular night, both being Speysiders and close to each other in price. The Macallan refuses to state its age but it is pale golden in colour. At 40% it might be difficult to tell anything by mouthfeel either, but let's see.

Next to the Glenfiddich, the Macallan's nose is very off-putting. It smells filthy and greasy compared to the light and fruity tone of the 'fiddich. I expected a light Speysidey character but there's nothing like that at all here. I don't really know how they managed to make it so unappealing but this nosing note I found that says "Pungent, vanilla, fresh pressed apple juice and citrus zest with dark chocolate garnish and subtle oakyness." is weird because I'd be hard pressed to agree with anything but the pungency and the subtle oakyness, and maybe add a shy wisp of honey melon. The rest is a queer mess that does a good job of making the 'fiddich that much more appealing. This is hard to forgive with the Gold being a NAS bottle, which can potentially be engineered there and back again leaving open the question if this seriously was something someone specifically wanted to make :confused: . In the 'fiddich there is that apple, and lemon zest too, with a very slight touch of wax and varnish to settle them down and some sweet white dessert wine like notes as well. Sugary pineapple juice.

The taste of the Gold is surprisingly better than its nose would lead to believe. Slight tangerine sweetness with a bit of cream taffy and ginger, then the burned and filthy notes promised by the nose. Luckily the strongest aftertaste component is the sweetness which helps forget the dirty and lacking mouthfeel. The Glenfiddich has a similar subdued and fleeting mouthfeel but it has a richer taste with hints of everything speyside: there's oak, there's a sherryish sweetness, there's tropical fruit and then some cinnamon and vanilla, all going together as a very gentle and easygoing mix.

A second round fortifies the first one's impressions as each time I nose the Macallan I regret doing so, but the taste is acceptable. There's nothing grand about it but it beats the nose by a mile. In the last sip the Gold offers an unpleasantly strong pure alcohol note and some surprising peatiness. The Glenfiddich continues its steady course, no surprises, not much change between rounds.

I was so disappointed in the Macallan initially that I decided to give it another chance the next day. This time the smell isn't quite so stinging but still filthy, and has a yeasty malt tone underneath. Meat stock. Still terrible for a Spey nose next to which the Glenfiddich shines like a star. Funny that. Some of the fruitiness in the Gold's taste does occasionally come through but too shy, too little. The taste is once again better than the nose promises. Too watery and fleeting but not mean. It has a bitter metallic tang at the end though. Once again the last sip in the glass is more stingingly alcoholic than the ones before. The finish is sandy. Glenfiddich my darling, after the Macallan you are a welcome thing. You've got only hints of things but it's everything Speyside apart from maybe that Christmas-y gingerbread-chocolate-peppermint thing Glenfarclas does so well. I've scorned you before but now, after the false Golden idol I'm all spent on scorn and for a change I'll say that you're okay. I can live with you and your shy ways. Your taste is unfortunately not as enticing as your nose but it'll do, and your fruitcake tail of an aftertaste is actually pretty well formed. Better bland than whatever happened to the Gold.

Potato Jones posted:

My Glenfarclas '79.
An elder statesman I see. Is it this one? http://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies.php?merkid=5&whiskyid=45000 If so write down your impressions if you try it.

kidsafe posted:

Yeah um, you owe him a Balvenie Tun 1401 or something next time around. ;)
You have experience with Tun 1401 bottlings? Worth their price? What can I expect to find in them?

rxcowboy posted:

The funny thing is I love my bottle if HP 12 and could pretty much guzzle it. BD12 just doesn't have what I'm looking for I guess.
If you find HP18 in a bar, try it.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 20, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Someone please educate me about Canadian whiskey. I see it constantly poo poo on, but for how much it sells and how many varieties there are, there has to be something good here. What would be a good bottle to wow me about Canada?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

rxcowboy posted:

Someone please educate me about Canadian whiskey. I see it constantly poo poo on, but for how much it sells and how many varieties there are, there has to be something good here. What would be a good bottle to wow me about Canada?

Crown Royal Maple

(Srsly don't drink it)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My take and I wouldn't argue about it but Canadian whiskey appeals to people who prefer mellow and mild flavors whereas others want more complexity. But my experience with Canadian is limited to the common brands. Maybe they have complex and bolder whiskeys that I don't know about. So it isn't that they are bad just uninteresting.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

Canadian whiskey appeals to people who prefer mellow So it isn't that they are bad just uninteresting.

My hatred of Canadian whisky is not b/c it's Canadian, either: I'm from Tennessee and think that Jack Daniels Honey is vile. You can't even drown it in Coke like you can Crown Royal for a palatable drink.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
Edit: wrong thread, mods please delete

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rxcowboy posted:

wormil posted:

My take and I wouldn't argue about it but Canadian whiskey appeals to people who prefer mellow and mild flavors whereas others want more complexity. But my experience with Canadian is limited to the common brands. Maybe they have complex and bolder whiskeys that I don't know about. So it isn't that they are bad just uninteresting.
It basically comes down to the above. By way of anecdote, I took a chance on a (sale) bottle of Phillips Union the other day (a supposed Canadian whiskey/Kentucky bourbon blend) and then checked out the reviews online. Most completely trashed it, and one said it was so mellow and mild that it might as well be called "ladies' whiskey". Having tried it myself I can't say I disagree though I wouldn't use that term. It's not awful but there's really nothing going for it.

The same could be said for a lot of Canadian whiskies generally. They're easy to get into but easy to outgrow. They mix fine in a pinch. But they're not really worth investing into the mid-to-high tiers. I have a bottle of Collingwood that I picked up on a lark because of a sale, an interesting bottle and a few people telling me it was decent for the price, so maybe give that a shot instead of going down the well-trodden Crown Royal path. Still haven't tasted it though, so maybe give it a shot in-store if possible first.

DerekSmartymans posted:

My hatred of Canadian whisky is not b/c it's Canadian, either: I'm from Tennessee and think that Jack Daniels Honey is vile. You can't even drown it in Coke like you can Crown Royal for a palatable drink.
I tried that stuff the other day and vile is the perfect word for it. It's really, really bad and nothing can save it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have heard that a lot of the reason that Americans hate Canadian whisky is that it's just what they export to us because it sells pretty well.

They actually make some pretty nice rye apparently but we don't tend to ever see that this side of the border.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Alberta Premium and Forty Creek are supposed to be pretty good, never tried them myself.

Isn't Canadian "rye" considerably different from American rye because the Canadians can have any amount of rye, whereas in the US rye must legally have 51% or greater rye?

Speaking of rye, Wild Turkey 80 proof doesn't seem to have as much of a rye flavor as the 101, and tastes generic enough to come in a bottle with a plain white label reading simply "Bourbon."

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Having just picked up a bottle of Old Grandad Bottled in Bond, I've gotta say it's an excellent whisky for the price. It tastes of tobacco and candied orange strongly. My one qualm with it is the intense alcohol bite, but I'm going to just chalk that up to the relative youngness of the stuff and the fact that it's 100 proof.

16$ has never gone so right for me before.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just was at my local liquor store and they were doing a killer Compass Box special. Got a bottle of Peat Monster and a bottle of Great King Street Artist Blend for 55 bucks, the Peat Monster was 5 bucks off, and a bottle of GKS was 5 bucks with any other Compass Box purchase. I feel like I robbed the drat liquor store. :iia:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Duckboat posted:

Alberta Premium and Forty Creek are supposed to be pretty good, never tried them myself.

Forty Creek is pretty good, yeah.

quote:

Isn't Canadian "rye" considerably different from American rye because the Canadians can have any amount of rye, whereas in the US rye must legally have 51% or greater rye?

Yes. Boatloads of bourbons have higher rye content than Canadian "rye."

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

A friend of mine recently brought a bottle of Taos Lightning Rye from New Mexico and it is excellent. It's made by KGB Spirits which I think is some tiny operation in New Mexico. Best rye I've ever had; nice and spicy up front and not too sweet. It's distilled from 95% rye. If you can find it you should definitely try it.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Speaking of Rye....

This stuff is pretty nice. I'm not sure it warrants all the craziness that goes along with limited release whiskey, but it's a drat good rye on its own merits.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I don't know that I'd call Old Potrero Straight Rye and 18th Century limited releases. It's bottled around the clock, just distilling is still very much a hobby for Fritz Maytag and the Anchor crew. The 18th Century "can't call it rye" will definitely put hair on your back if you ever get to try it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Schpyder posted:

Forty Creek is pretty good, yeah.

There's also the fact that Canadian whisky, to my recollection, has no requirement about not adding GNS (Grain Neutral Spirit, aka vodka) to it. You make your flavouring whiskey then dumptank that with vodka and some coloring, barrel it, and you've got yourself some Canadian Whisky. Source

Basically, my problem with Canadian whisky is that its requirements are "looks, tastes, and smells like Canadian whisky" to be called as such. Also it's a boring rear end product with nothing to offer to my "refined palate".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've tried Forty Creek and it was pretty good but that's like the single Canadian whisky I've ever had that wasn't bland and uninteresting.(Or simply vile like Black Velvet.)

However, one of the best "American" ryes is Whistlepig (and Jefferson's Reserve). Those are actually from Canada. :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
As a follow up to my Collingwood rec, I tried it again over the weekend and it's more mapley than I would have thought. Not syrupy, but there's definitely maple there. As a result, I'd have to say just not to bother with it and try something else in the same price range like Pike Creek Double Barreled, which wasn't coming to mind when I last posted.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Tried Macallan 12yo Fine Oak because the bar I was in was stocking it. While it was nothing grand it's definitely a much better product than the 1824 Gold that's supposed to have replaced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

rufius posted:

Basically, my problem with Canadian whisky is that its requirements are "looks, tastes, and smells like Canadian whisky" to be called as such. Also it's a boring rear end product with nothing to offer to my "refined palate".

I'm as patriotic as the next Canadian (not very), and I really have to admit that most of our whiskies are not good ones. We really do use them mostly for mixing in coke. Having said that, Forty Creek is decent, as is in my opinion Canadian Club Sherry Cask (probably because it's different than most of the stuff that we have).

Schpyder posted:

We just call any Canadian whisky "rye". The only real Canadian whisky made from 100% rye is Alberta Premium. It's good, but it smells like almost nothing but ethanol.