Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So are the Italian pikemen any good or should I get another retinue instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Parallax Scroll posted:

How do I avoid being a tyrant every time I want to invade something? If I want to press a claim I have to land the dude first, so I have to take someone else's land to give it to him. Or should I just keep doing that.

The other option is to make sure the claimant is in your dynasty. Make sure his claim is inheritable, marry him matrilineally to one of your daughters, and then kill him off when he has a son. Bam, no more land requirement!

If you want to skip a step, marry him to your daughter, press his claim and let him be independent, enjoy the alliance throughout his lifetime, and then invite one of his younger sons to court after his death. Slower, but easier and gives you an alliance while you wait.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Are there events that convert rulers to different religious groups?

I just started an Ironman game as Rurik, Prince of Novgorod and haven't been paying attention to anything outside Eastern Europe. Apparently, the Umayyad Caliphate converted at some point and most of Iberia is now Jewish.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

QuoProQuid posted:

I just started an Ironman game as Rurik, Prince of Novgorod and haven't been paying attention to anything outside Eastern Europe. Apparently, the Umayyad Caliphate converted at some point and most of Iberia is now Jewish.

A kid's tutor can switch the kid to the tutor's religion/culture sometimes. The sultan probably got one of the "Jewish courtier" events, and put the guy in charge of teaching his heir.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

Does that Mohammed descendant trait still give you a relations bonus with muslims if you're Jewish?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Lord Tywin posted:

So are the Italian pikemen any good or should I get another retinue instead?

Generally you should always get your cultural retinue unless they're light infantry or defensive light cavalry. Italian Pikemen are good because they get special tactics that only Italians can use.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Has anybody else noticed the new CK2 DLC quietly released two days ago?

quote:

Lyrics:
Storm the winter shores of England
Fa la la la la, la la la lan.
Loot and pillage with your warband

Celebrate the glorious battle
Troll the ancient Yule tide carol,

In the blaze of London burning,
Slay your foes and sing ‘til mornin,

Follow me in this adventure,
While I tell of gold and treasure,
Fa la la la la, la la la lan,

Far away on eastern beaches,
We will find a home and riches,

Off we norsemen sail together,
Heedless of the wind and weather,
Fa la la la la, la la la lera.

Conquer the World, and rule its lands!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every soul, be guided by your hand.
Grand strategy is your game
Grand strategy is your game
Grand strategy, grand strategy is your game

Conquer the World, your rightful realm!
Lead men to victory!
Through fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Let slip the dogs of war
Let slip the dogs of war
Let slip, let slip, the dogs of war

You rule the world with might and grace,
And make your nation grow,
People and cultures, united by your hand,
A historical paradox
A historical paradox
A historical, ahistorical paradox.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What I love about that song is that it's got "Falalan" in between the Christmas carol melody. :allears:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I updated Sengoku. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?658595-Sengoku-There-s-too-many-warring-states-in-Japan!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I got that song and now I've got Christmas music stuck in my head :(

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

What I love about that song is that it's got "Falalan" in between the Christmas carol melody. :allears:

There is no dubstep Falalan. I am disappointed.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Mailer posted:

Aside from owning the whole world before they show up, being the Roman Empire or having horse archers yourself, does anyone have a strategy to beat them post-nerf?

On top of what other people have said, fighting defensive wars on favorable terrain while forcing your opponent to also cross a river works wonders. It's been a while but it's allowed me to defeat mongols who've had slightly better numbers than me in previous patches.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

HenessyHero posted:

On top of what other people have said, fighting defensive wars on favorable terrain while forcing your opponent to also cross a river works wonders. It's been a while but it's allowed me to defeat mongols who've had slightly better numbers than me in previous patches.

This works wonders, bait them with a small army to cross a river, and have your backup just a county away so when the fighting starts you bring in your big stack and beat the poo poo out of them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rejected Fate posted:

Mhmm, I can probably get a thread and an update up soon. Anyone want to suggest a starting position? I figure Old Gods start date would be best to give the most time but I'd be up for any other suggestions.

Succession game turn order:
Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress
aqu
Lurksion
QuoProQuid
alcaras

I'd be up for this, too. I have no problem with the Old Gods start day, either.

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010
I tried installing the CK2+ mod and now when I try to use it the game freezes on the "loading flags" screen. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I already tried a reinstall of both the game and mod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Prowave Tierdash posted:

I tried installing the CK2+ mod and now when I try to use it the game freezes on the "loading flags" screen. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I already tried a reinstall of both the game and mod.

Do you have the right version? Its on like 2.06 or something like that. As well I'd load it up first with only the base mod ticked, and then do the addins if you want them. Especially since some of the addins updated separately. (Like the extra bookmarks is on a different version than the main mod.)

Also speaking Steam CK2 is 75% off. Everything but SoA stuff.

And I'm not sure what it is from, but a friend just got an event to ram C'thlhu with a longboat. The best game. :allears:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 23, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So don't become the head of the Knights Templar because that mysterious clinking sound you hear is actually the sound of your gold being drained and you'll lose 10k before you realize it :downs:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

Do you have the right version? Its on like 2.06 or something like that. As well I'd load it up first with only the base mod ticked, and then do the addins if you want them. Especially since some of the addins updated separately. (Like the extra bookmarks is on a different version than the main mod.)

Also speaking Steam CK2 is 75% off. Everything but SoA stuff.

And I'm not sure what it is from, but a friend just got an event to ram C'thlhu with a longboat. The best game. :allears:

Speaking of CK2+, in the version in the OP (2.03 or .04 I believe) there was an option to have women be able to take all positions that men can. But I can't find any such option in the right version (2.06). Any idea how I can get that sort of thing?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of CK2+, in the version in the OP (2.03 or .04 I believe) there was an option to have women be able to take all positions that men can. But I can't find any such option in the right version (2.06). Any idea how I can get that sort of thing?

Basically you'd have to edit it yourself. It's pretty easy. Just go into the mod directly -> common -> Job Titles and then in the allow block type
code:
allow = {
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
	}

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Managed to get the count -> Emperor Achievement with Alfred of Dorset, probably could've done it faster if I was more aggressive but now a few counties I have to saxonize for stability sake. I was really trying at first just to get my priests elected as cardinals (and then popes) but that didnt work at all.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

hellsjudge posted:

So don't become the head of the Knights Templar because that mysterious clinking sound you hear is actually the sound of your gold being drained and you'll lose 10k before you realize it :downs:

Err what?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I was one of the people complaining about it being removed, but the actual reasoning behind it was fine. The ai is terrible at matri marriages, and did not understand that being in absolute cognatic means you never do a regular marriage with women.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, sorry to wade in here like this but I've been looking for a very grandly scaled, complex game. I'm ready to buy it and get confused and probably eaten by my own children inside of 3 game sessions.

So, I'm wondering about the DLC! To anyone who's bought any of the visual enhancers, like the extra nationality portraits and unit pack visuals or whatever... You think it's worth it?

I plan on getting all the music since I imagine I'll be playing the game for a long, long time before even learning the basics. Anyway, thanks in advance!

edit: thanks again! decided to grab a couple of the unit packs anyway because Norse :black101: actually look pretty unique and also because of the sale help I am so weak. Also got the recommended big-DLCs.

Erata fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 23, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Portrait packs are absolutely necessary. Buy all the portrait packs (I am a whore for portrait packs). At the very least get the African and Mongol portraits, especially since they should be on sale right now. I think I might have some of the unit packs from when I bought the pack from Amazon, but I don't go out and buy them.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
For everyone who reads the thread and has not yet bought the game or certain DLC there is good news. CK 2 and almost all the DLC is %75 off.

Quick question for the long time players. Is there any DLC that we should not get?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raged posted:

For everyone who reads the thread and has not yet bought the game or certain DLC there is good news. CK 2 and almost all the DLC is %75 off.

Quick question for the long time players. Is there any DLC that we should not get?

Sword of Islam and Sunset Invasion are probably the least worthwhile Content DLCs. All of the cosmetic dlc (songs, portraits, shields) can be safely skipped if you wanna save some dough.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

hellsjudge posted:

This works wonders, bait them with a small army to cross a river, and have your backup just a county away so when the fighting starts you bring in your big stack and beat the poo poo out of them.

I also forgot to mention that the commander traits that grant bonus morale/morale defense/morale damage are huge swing factors in tight races. Two well-matched armies will bash attrition at each other until a flank eventualy breaks rank and then it's all over. That's usually how the mongols win themselves but that's mostly due to how their formations are set up. Having high morale for one reason or another is often a significant factor.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Whoa, I have to disagree about Sword of Islam. Islam is the light, haven't you heard?

Does anyone have a link to that comic of a player who's reluctant to play as a Muslim ruler, and then comes back from Hajj a true believer?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Caufman posted:

Whoa, I have to disagree about Sword of Islam. Islam is the light, haven't you heard?

Does anyone have a link to that comic of a player who's reluctant to play as a Muslim ruler, and then comes back from Hajj a true believer?

Everyone loves playing a Muslim at first.

Then the Decadence begins to grow

and grow

and grow

and nothing you do seems to amount to more than a slight stemming of the tides of Decadence.

then the decadence invasions begin.

then you gently caress off and go play a viking :black101:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Erata posted:

Hi, sorry to wade in here like this but I've been looking for a very grandly scaled, complex game. I'm ready to buy it and get confused and probably eaten by my own children inside of 3 game sessions.

So, I'm wondering about the DLC! To anyone who's bought any of the visual enhancers, like the extra nationality portraits and unit pack visuals or whatever... You think it's worth it?

I plan on getting all the music since I imagine I'll be playing the game for a long, long time before even learning the basics. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Do not pay for the Mediterranean Portrait Pack, it's terrible. Everything else I think is pretty nice, especially the Mongol, Viking, and African portraits.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

catlord posted:

Portrait packs are absolutely necessary. Buy all the portrait packs (I am a whore for portrait packs). At the very least get the African and Mongol portraits, especially since they should be on sale right now. I think I might have some of the unit packs from when I bought the pack from Amazon, but I don't go out and buy them.

I would recommend the Portrait Realignment Pack, though. It's downright mandatory if you're using the Mediterranean pack and want Italians to resemble human beings.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Lori posted:

Do not pay for the Mediterranean Portrait Pack, it's terrible. Everything else I think is pretty nice, especially the Mongol, Viking, and African portraits.

Yeah, I did manage to keep from buying every single thing "just because it's on sale", but also totally not, and getting the stuff that actually stands out! Thanks!

Edit: VVVVV You're right. Well, at least I recouped most of the cost by selling cards on the market. :negative: Merry Christmas. Ugh hahaha who the hell am I kidding.

Erata fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 23, 2013

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Erata posted:

Yeah, I did manage to keep from buying every single thing "just because it's on sale", but also totally not, and getting the stuff that actually stands out! Thanks!

Someday you're going to look back and think, man, why the gently caress do the Karlings have a fish on their crest? And you will know the shame of not having dropped $30 to pick up everything on sale.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

and grow

and grow

and nothing you do seems to amount to more than a slight stemming of the tides of Decadence.

Decadence is an incredibly easy mechanic to deal with, particularly since Muslims get no-tyranny imprisonment and execution for people of their own dynasty.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Finally managing to get the hang of this game. Started in TOG start date as one of the Croatian Counts and now I have a pretty hefty Kingdom after a couple hundred years. Was finally able to beat the Byzantines in a defensive war.

I do have one thing I want to quickly check though. As King/Queen of Croatia I've kept the Duchy of Croatia for myself as well as the two counties that make up Dalmatia. My question is, would it be worth making the Duchy and keeping it for myself or would just owning the two counties separately be enough? I haven't created the Duchy to avoid the 'Desires ___' malus.

Another thing, after conquering the Kingdom of Bulgaria I destroyed the title so that the only King level title is the one I own. I assume this was the right thing to do since it would prevent others attempting to force a claim on it/faction for the title?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chevalier Cat posted:

Decadence is an incredibly easy mechanic to deal with, particularly since Muslims get no-tyranny imprisonment and execution for people of their own dynasty.

That's not "dealing with" Decadence, it's doing the exact opposite of the mechanic to the point where the game shits itself and gives up.

It's like saying the pre 2.0 100% Archbishop vassal realms "dealt with" the mechanic of vassal satisfaction.

e: All in my opinion, of course. If you enjoy playing Muslims that way, more power to you.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

alcaras posted:

Err what?

Turns out any Christian ruler can borrow money from the Templars and since it was my title it was my pocket they were fishing out of :(.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Excelzior posted:

and grow

and grow

Or you rightly realise that jailing every male family member aside from sons easily keeps decadence in check and you use the bonus cash and troop moral to romp over everyone.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Or maybe you don't want to *have* to murder every male family member just to make decadence not be a huge hassle. Decadence is, to me, an unfun mechanic because it forces you to play in one of two ways: a homicidal maniac bent on murdering every man in your family or constantly fighting off decadence invasions. Well, three ways if you count "not a Muslim" as an alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pakled posted:

Or maybe you don't want to *have* to murder every male family member just to make decadence not be a huge hassle.

Or maybe that's how Muslims historically dealt with brothers and uncles once they inherited.

• Locked thread