Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've only gotten to the gamma sector, but when if ever do guns that are actually worthwhile pop up? I have melee weapons that hit for 90 and obliterate anything but a miniboss, yet the best guns I can seem to find barely reach 10 dmg, and that's not even necessarily with a very flattering firing rate.

Basically never. Guns are entirely terrible in all respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Iny posted:

Basically never. Guns are entirely terrible in all respects.

Guns do less DPS than melee weapons but the safety of range is invaluable. I prefer a twohand rifle in my loadout and use a one-hand melee for cleanup.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I wish guns were craftable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, basically. Would make plenty of sense with the robotic crafting table.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I wasn't thrilled with this until I started over yesterday and landed right next to a box that had a 2-handed sword that fired a ball of lightning with every swing.

Also, I realize that it's the starting item and it is supposed to be crappy, but using the matter manipulator is so slow it is downright painful.

unemployedartist
Mar 31, 2011
Is there some way to keep an area loaded, like a world anchor from Minecraft? I wish that my crops would grow while I am out exploring.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

It seems like crops on your ship will grow while you are out, might not be so helpful if you don't have a big modded ship though.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Also, I realize that it's the starting item and it is supposed to be crappy, but using the matter manipulator is so slow it is downright painful.

At this point I'm amazed the matter manipulator was even put in the game. It's really just the equivalent of bashing a tree or rock with your bare hands in Minecraft and useless to even keep on your action bar three minutes into the game, yet the game goes out of its way to introduce it and prevent you from losing it.

I hope at higher tech levels we will be able to charge the matter manipulator with uranium/plutonium/solarium ore like you 'charge' the pickaxes/drills with copper ore, with an associated power boost, but even then it seems silly to have to stash it for half the game.

I hope they come up with a niche where its a useful tool next to the pickaxe throughout the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vanadium posted:

At this point I'm amazed the matter manipulator was even put in the game. It's really just the equivalent of bashing a tree or rock with your bare hands in Minecraft and useless to even keep on your action bar three minutes into the game, yet the game goes out of its way to introduce it and prevent you from losing it.

I hope at higher tech levels we will be able to charge the matter manipulator with uranium/plutonium/solarium ore like you 'charge' the pickaxes/drills with copper ore, with an associated power boost, but even then it seems silly to have to stash it for half the game.

I hope they come up with a niche where its a useful tool next to the pickaxe throughout the game.

Your character automatically uses the matter manipulator when they're placing objects. It's not really meant to be a destructive tool.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Was it really worth programming the thing into the game just to avoid people complaining about being able to magically place torches five meters away through a wall? Not that placing objects physically stops working if you destroy your matter manipulator of course. v:shobon:v

Also apparently it's called beamaxe internally, not beamobjectplacer. :colbert:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Starhawk64 posted:

I wish guns were craftable.

There's a mod in progress that's making a gun of each type for each of the tiers for each race craftable. The creator asked for assistance coming up with names for all of them. Apex is mostly filled out, other races need some love, racial tabs are along the bottom: http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

They made the matter manipulator as an ingame reason on why your character is able to place blocks and objects from a distance. Of course, you can still use it even when it's not in your inventory, they should fix it so that you only place items next to you Terraria style if you don't have it in your inventory. I do agree that it should be able to mine faster and it should have the ability to be upgraded, but balance it so that while it's not as effective as a pickaxe or drill is still can be used as a multipurpose tool for when you left your axe or hoe back at base, or if your pickaxe has worn out and you don't have the ore to fix it.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 22, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Starhawk64 posted:

They made the matter manipulator as an ingame reason on why your character is able to place blocks and objects from a distance. Of course, you can still use it even when it's not in your inventory, they should fix it so that you only place items next to you Terraria style if you don't have it in your inventory.
No. Forget immersion. Why would they do this.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Jackard posted:

No. Forget immersion. Why would they do this.

To justify having it in your inventory? :v:

I still carry mine around in case I want to take a decorative item but don't want to accidentally nuke the place and mine the stuff around it as well.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 22, 2013

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

I still carry mine around in case I want to take a decorative item but don't want to accidentally nuke the place and mine the stuff around it as well.

If you press shift while pickaxing/drilling, you only mine a single block instead of a 3x3 block, isn't that good enough?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Alternate answer: remove the pickaxes, just make the matter manipulator upgradable. It's pretty weird when I'm zooming around in my forest-spaceship running on uranium packing a laser gun and a sword that shoots more lasers in a techno-pyramid...dinking at things with a pickaxe.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'd like to see upgraded axes. I can craft a vibroaxe, but it doesn't work as good on trees as the stone axe I made two minutes into the game. Give us some 40k-style chainswords or something, please!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've only gotten to the gamma sector, but when if ever do guns that are actually worthwhile pop up? I have melee weapons that hit for 90 and obliterate anything but a miniboss, yet the best guns I can seem to find barely reach 10 dmg, and that's not even necessarily with a very flattering firing rate.

I've had good luck with Avian pirates and human/ape bases. A gun is "good" if it has half the DPS of whatever melee weapon you're using at the moment.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Reiley posted:

Guns do less DPS than melee weapons but the safety of range is invaluable.
Not when the AI is set to "constantly ram into player".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not when the AI is set to "constantly ram into player".
Shotguns and explosives knock enemies backwards.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I like keeping the matter manipulator around just because the improved range is useful on occasion. Sometimes I want to grab a decoration or single ore piece or something that's way overhead without having to platform up to it first.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Of all the names I've put in that spreadsheet my favorite is 'All-baller'

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I'm pretty sure knockback is based on damage dealt in proportion to the enemy's max health with a single hit*, not weapon type. If you're not knocking things back enough, it's because you're not hitting them hard enough.

*multiple simultaneous hits such as with shotguns or dual-wielding might be added together to determine this, but I'm not positive.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

Weapons with strong enough impact power do that (the best weapons to do so are hammers).

It just so happens that shotguns and explosives have high impact damage when they have speeds of 0.3-0.5, which isn't always the case.

You also have a delay before being able to fire ranged weapons after switching to them, and it's equal to (1/rate of fire) * 2 seconds, so it can take up to over 6 seconds after switching your weapon before you can fire a shot. If the delay wasn't there, ranged weapons would be somewhat useful. As they are in the base game, they're plainly poo poo.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I really wish the damage on shotguns and guns with double/triple split shot were ramped up to compensate for that every signle bullet does a fraction of the damage listed.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like the matter manipulator because it lights up dark places outside of your view. If you're running around on the surface or spelunking you can aim it at the ground below you, or just any place obscured by FoW and use it as an (4 block wide, I think?) x-ray to see if there are any ore groups around, instead of placing torches every 5 feet

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Toffile posted:

Your character automatically uses the matter manipulator when they're placing objects. It's not really meant to be a destructive tool.
That's just a purely visual effect though; you don't actually need it in your inventory to place poo poo around your character just magics one up when you select a placeable object.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Alternate answer: remove the pickaxes, just make the matter manipulator upgradable. It's pretty weird when I'm zooming around in my forest-spaceship running on uranium packing a laser gun and a sword that shoots more lasers in a techno-pyramid...dinking at things with a pickaxe.
Well I mean you do get drills which you should have access to if you're running your ship on Uranium, but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the matter manipulator being upgradable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Insert name here posted:

Well I mean you do get drills which you should have access to if you're running your ship on Uranium
I don't understand this logic. Your ship has a uranium reactor, that's why it can take uranium. That doesn't implicitly mean it has like a drill-manufacturer.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vib Rib posted:

I don't understand this logic. Your ship has a uranium reactor, that's why it can take uranium. That doesn't implicitly mean it has like a drill-manufacturer.
I meant that in a literal sense, since having access to uranium in-game means you have gotten to the tier that unlocks drills.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Commissar Kip posted:

This thing is so cool.

I tried installing it (putting BeowulfStandard in my mods folder) and creating a new character but every time the game freezes when I want to load up the character. I've deleted the modded character and the modfiles and made a new vanilla character and there is no problem there - so somehow the mod freezes Starbound for me. What could the problem be?

FYI, I don't have any other mods. Just this one.

EDIT: I have just tried it with adding BeowulfBackgrounds alongside BeowulfStandard but no cigar. Same freeze.

EDIT2: I've made it work using the guide for existing characters. But still, whenever I use the guide for a new character it freezes.

Uhhh, I'm not sure. Were you trying to create characters only a single species? I just swapped in the Standard (you use it alone) and was able to make a character just fine.

[edit] Was it a Floran? I just noticed I misspelled the race "Florian" in the Dropship.structure file for
code:
   "treasurePools" : [ "floranStarterTreasure" ]," 
So I'm guessing on Florans it would try to find a set of treasure that doesn't exist and hang.

[edit] Just tested and yup, Florans hang on character creation. I'll fix that up immediately.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 22, 2013

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

What self-respecting spaceship doesn't carry the capability to seed a complete copy of all its civilization's knowledge and technology? :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You also have a delay before being able to fire ranged weapons after switching to them, and it's equal to (1/rate of fire) * 2 seconds, so it can take up to over 6 seconds after switching your weapon before you can fire a shot. If the delay wasn't there, ranged weapons would be somewhat useful. As they are in the base game, they're plainly poo poo.
In some situations versus powerful NPCs that'll wreck your poo poo even with t10 armor if you bumrush them, you can deal with them by picking them off from a distance, or by using explosive shots to hurt them through walls/floors, or bouncing shots around corners, etc. And it'll always take time to approach and use melee, even with butterfly boost/energy dash, so not having a gun equipped first to shoot them while you close in is a wasted opportunity.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Found a pretty decent starting system.

X-55580767 Y21788820

Three forest moons around a snow planet. The forest moon farthest to the left has an Energy Dash and a Pulse Jump to the right of the spawn and an Apex town to the left. Middle forest moon has a large sewer system and an outhouse with a poo monster. The right forest moon has a large Apex lab. The snow planet has a large glitch castle, a few avian houses, and what looks like a small USCM base.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Insert name here posted:

I meant that in a literal sense, since having access to uranium in-game means you have gotten to the tier that unlocks drills.
Oh. Boy do I look like an idiot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, my Beowulf is all fixed.

Floran, Florian (a race from Traveller ironically, though they're not plant people), close enough IMO. :argh:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Looks like tree planting may be in the next version:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like the matter manipulator because it lights up dark places outside of your view. If you're running around on the surface or spelunking you can aim it at the ground below you, or just any place obscured by FoW and use it as an (4 block wide, I think?) x-ray to see if there are any ore groups around, instead of placing torches every 5 feet

That reminds me...wasn't there a way to tweak the MM to light up the whole screen so you could find ores?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

In some situations versus powerful NPCs that'll wreck your poo poo even with t10 armor if you bumrush them, you can deal with them by picking them off from a distance, or by using explosive shots to hurt them through walls/floors, or bouncing shots around corners, etc. And it'll always take time to approach and use melee, even with butterfly boost/energy dash, so not having a gun equipped first to shoot them while you close in is a wasted opportunity.
Such powerful NPCs aren't in the game yet, and they get barely scratched by guns as is. With too high of an energy consumption rate and a hard limit of 650 DPS (assuming t10 armor), guns right now don't have a solid combat purpose, save for using explosives to hit multiple enemies from afar (which you could do better with a broadsword) and exploiting terrain.

And with energy dash/bubble boost, the time to close in melee / dodge attacks is far, far less than over 6 seconds with an ideal ranged weapon, unless you are not adept at controlling your character.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 22, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I asked a little while ago but I'll ask again, how does adding mods work with existing saves? I.E what happens if you have a ship with a bunch of stuff on it, and then you add a mod that changes your spaceship and load that character up?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

I asked a little while ago but I'll ask again, how does adding mods work with existing saves? I.E what happens if you have a ship with a bunch of stuff on it, and then you add a mod that changes your spaceship and load that character up?
Your ship stays the same as is -- your ship's shape and form is generated from the start of the game and saved in its own file. New ships are changed, however.

Dynamically generated content (such as biomes, random item drops) that is modified won't have the updated stats until another item is made from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

And with energy dash/bubble boost, the time to close in melee / dodge attacks is far, far less than over 6 seconds with an ideal ranged weapon, unless you are not adept at controlling your character.
The idea is to have your gun out first, not have a melee out, then switch.

And I know I've ran across NPCs that have wrecked me in basically a few seconds while wearing t10 armor, so I dunno what to tell you.

• Locked thread