Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

The final of Strictly has been pretty good so far but Tess looks constantly terrified that Bruce is going to die right next to her. I'm not exaggerating, her face is twisted with genuine anguish anytime they share the screen.

I know. Poor Brucie, I think it's past time he was put out to pasture. It's painful to watch him try to cavort about and make jokes, and even more painful to watch the judges and contestants humour him through gritted teeth.

If they feel they need a male host (and frankly Tess does a grand job on her own) they should call up John Barrowman. He's cheesy, charming, all-dancing, all-singing, and doesn't wear a distracting and slightly terrifying wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Irisi posted:

I know. Poor Brucie, I think it's past time he was put out to pasture. It's painful to watch him try to cavort about and make jokes, and even more painful to watch the judges and contestants humour him through gritted teeth.

If they feel they need a male host (and frankly Tess does a grand job on her own) they should call up John Barrowman. He's cheesy, charming, all-dancing, all-singing, and doesn't wear a distracting and slightly terrifying wig.

I think the fairly sexist ageism at the BBC is finally biting them in the arse. All the old men that they have been keeping around like some sort of insane collector of antiquities are now getting so old that they no longer represent reality for the majority of people that are watching TV. I know that we're talking about Brucie at the moment but the fact that he didn't manage to get through a single loving link on an autocue tonight was more than enough to make me think that he should have been put out to pasture long ago. He's just not where he should be for a show that needs to be hitting its audience. I wouldn't be surprised if tonights episode was his last one. I like the guy, I really do, but Strictly is now the BBC's biggest earner (for realies, it displaced Top Gear a couple of years ago about the same time that Clarkson stopped being such a massive cock on TV COULD THESE THINGS BE LINKED [hint: they are] ) and they need someone that can actually read an autocue without having to start over twice before they get the tone of voice right for it to be anything other than a weirdly awkward event that happens far too regularly.

Huw Edwards (52), George Alagiah (58), Gavin Esler (60), Jeremy Paxman (63), John Humphrys (70), for example, will be the next/current generation of documentarians. Other than wheeling out John Barrowman (46) or Graham Norton (50) can you tell me who would fill this spot? The 'face of the channel' doesn't exist in any meaningful way anymore. Those that are considered to be 'yoof' presenters by the beeb are now too risky (Russell Brand [38 - is it a bit mental that 'youth' is now considered to be late 30s in TV land?] becoming Persona Non Grata, Jonathan Ross (53) loving off to ITV, Ant (38) and Dec (38)) for anything more staid and grown up than a loving talkshow on BBC3.

I guess Dick and Dom could take over?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

How about the undisputed voice of a generation, Nick Grimshaw?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Gorn Myson posted:

How about the undisputed voice of a generation, Nick Grimshaw?

Strictly Come Dancing On His Grave

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Irisi posted:

Damnit, now you've said that I can't think of anyone better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's over-the-top and camp as Christmas. Of course it's a perfect fit for John Barrowman.

Him or Louie Spence.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spence can be a little too over the top for a lot of the audience the beeb is going for, but I think Barrowman is palatable enough for the middle ground.

I think Graham Norton is about as camp as mainstream audiences will accept, whereas Louie quite often just comes off as annoying. Not because he's camp, but because he's outright annoying most the time.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 22, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Spence can be a little too over the top for a lot of the audience the beeb is going for, but I think Barrowman is palatable enough for the middle ground.

I think Graham Norton is about as camp as mainstream audiences will accept, whereas Louie quite often just comes off as annoying. Not because he's camp, but because he's outright annoying most the time.

I think Alan Carr is about as camp as mainstream audiences will accept. Barrowman is basically the British Neil Patrick Harris so probably would be perfect.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I watched Broadchuch, which was pretty good. Not incredible, but definitely a solid and entertaining show. I personally found the subplot regarding David Bradley's character and his eventually hounding by the press and town into suicide even a bit more compelling than the main whodunit mystery. The show definitely portrayed media media behavior and it's effects on an investigation and well being of victim's families and others involved really well.

Although, I'm left wondering exactly what the hell the point of the 2nd season is going to be. What exactly is left for all the characters? It all seems pretty much settled.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being proven wrong. Can we expect the 2nd series in 2014? I know David Tennant is going to film the likely poo poo and pointless US remake (why USA networks think they have to remake this show for american audiences I don't understand) so will that push the UK Series 2 further off?

Also, has there ever been a dude lead acting in an original series and it's remake for another country, which are being filmed and aired basically simultaneously? Seems kind of weird -- I can't remember it ever happening.

Damo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 22, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Damo posted:

Also, has there ever been a dude lead acting in an original series and it's remake for another country, which are being filmed and aired basically simultaneously? Seems kind of weird -- I can't remember it ever happening.

Robert Llewellyn was in the American Red Dwarf pilot.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Sod the male/female balance, just get Claudia Winkelman in fulltime. I'm sure there's some who find her annoying but I think she's great.

She's done wonders for Film 201X too, a programme that was atrocious when Jonathan Ross did it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Damo posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmjpk4_the-it-crowd-us-pilot_fun

Go to 3:30 and then turn it off and forget it happened.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Damo posted:

If I remember correctly, the same thing is supposed to happen with the US version of Bad Education, which is also going to star Jack Whitehall.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hugh Jackman. You know it'd be amazing.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

DominoDancing posted:

If I remember correctly, the same thing is supposed to happen with the US version of Bad Education, which is also going to star Jack Whitehall.

The US can keep him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nevett posted:

The US can keep him.

But then Fresh Meat :smith:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nevett posted:

The US can keep him.

I don't know if Whitehall can find success in the states, do his parents have good contacts there?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Damo posted:

I think Wilfred done that, with the guy playing the dog doing the American remake, then going back and doing the second series of the Australian one. Mind I didn't even know the version with Elijah wood was a remake until I watched the original on Lovefilm by accident.

Edit: Oh, just checked wiki and the US one was a year later.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Christmas Eastenders! Looks like our Dot has a story of her own! In Eastenders an old person with a story of their own is either up to some hilarious mischief or is going soap-mad. Probably the latter here, since it's Christmas and Eastenders has its misery quota to fill. Also she's right now alone, locked in her laundrette, staring into space and ringing a bell. I imagine this is going to end with something like the shock therapy scene in Requiem for a Dream.

I wonder what Brookside would be showing if it were still on the go. I'll bet they'd have long ago introduced a food bank set as a staple of the show. That's what I liked about Brookside. Brookside loving went there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Honestly, I thought the woman who played Dot Cotton was dead.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rarity posted:

I actually saw her autobiography in a WHSmith in the airport the other day alongside Nelson Mandela's and I wondered the same thing :/

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rarity posted:

She was on Graham Norton a couple weeks ago and seems to have gone senile IRL, whatever about the show

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

She was on Graham Norton a couple weeks ago and seems to have gone senile IRL, whatever about the show

Although, weirdly, there was palpable sexual tension between her and Lady Gaga.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
She was smashed off her face it was brilliant. Dot Cotton that is not Gaga.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The acting bar on EastEnders is pretty low. I'm not sure death would be a barrier to continued appearances.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest reality shock was seeing Barry off Eastenders on Pointless Celebrities and he's loving clever, got like 5 pointlesses. I'm still not convinced that Shane Ritchie acts however, just exudes his usual brand of titishness. They probably don't even give him a script.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Profanity posted:

I think the biggest reality shock was seeing Barry off Eastenders on Pointless Celebrities and he's loving clever, got like 5 pointlesses. I'm still not convinced that Shane Ritchie acts however, just exudes his usual brand of titishness. They probably don't even give him a script.

He was great in that Warwick thing with Les Dennis and all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Profanity posted:

I think the biggest reality shock was seeing Barry off Eastenders on Pointless Celebrities and he's loving clever, got like 5 pointlesses.
Name five pointless television shows? East Enders, Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, and Home & Away. Actually, that's not fair; Hollyoaks has the purpose of fap fodder for teenage boys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pablo Bluth posted:

Name five pointless television shows? East Enders, Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, and Home & Away. Actually, that's not fair; Hollyoaks has the purpose of fap fodder for teenage boys.

Eastenders is fap fodder for manic depressives

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have a confession to make: I sit though Countryfile because of Elle Harrison.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can we swap out Hollyoaks for Pointless? :v:

Pointless owns by the way.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have a confession to make: I sit though Countryfile because of Elle Harrison.

That's the only reason I watch it too. She's close to the perfect woman in my opinion.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Didnt enjoy Limmys Show christmas special to be honest.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I did.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Damo posted:

I watched Broadchuch, which was pretty good. Not incredible, but definitely a solid and entertaining show. I personally found the subplot regarding David Bradley's character and his eventually hounding by the press and town into suicide even a bit more compelling than the main whodunit mystery. The show definitely portrayed media media behavior and it's effects on an investigation and well being of victim's families and others involved really well.

I just finished watching it, and the final half of the last episode I had to bite back tears several times. The photography and soundtrack elevate the great acting to a height that I haven't seen since Sherlock. I don't know if it needs a second season, but considering the first season, I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll make it work.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Broadchurch was good, but Olivia Coleman's husband being the killer was too obvious. There was no reason at all to suspect him so by the rules of tv detective shows that made him the most likely suspect.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Flicking through channels I found some bizarre photo-collage cartoon thing on CITV that seems to be the TV version of AxeCop. Kids write in with stories, and they animate and show them.

The story I caught was called The Grumpy Pizza. It was about a pizza who was extremely grumpy, and extremely rich. Neither of these facts are relevant to the story again. One day, the Grumpy Pizza was relaxing in his oven, when the heat went off. He had no money to pay his heating bill! And no matter how many extra toppings he put on he was still cold.

So he becomes a landlord and starts renting out his oven. Now he can pay his heating bill.

The End.

:psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He had no money to pay his heating bill!

But he was extremely rich!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there anything decent on TV tonight/tomorrow? Scrooged and the Christmas Come Dine With Me special were on yesterday but it doesn't feel excessively Christmasy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

But he was extremely rich!

Maybe he was just rich in flavour?