Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

from E90post.......

whyyounevertakeyouroutofwarrantybmwtothedealer.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How many loving hours of labor is that? 1300 dollars of labor to replace gaskets?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Keyser S0ze posted:

from E90post.......

That repair bill is three times what I payed for my e34

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

That repair bill is three times what I payed for my e34

It's nearly 8 times what i paid for my E39, which i'm quickly learning that apart from the pile of common problems, is almost the perfect car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

This might be a longshot, but does anyone have a BMW Pin Removal Tool (p/n 61 1 132) that they'd be willing to sell or lend out? I'm looking to yank out the OEM iPod Interface from my E46 so that I can look into installing a different interface. It looks like a real loving pain in the rear end, but I think the cable is damaged and I really don't want to gamble $50 on a replacement when for a little bit more I could upgrade to a non-poo poo interface - but that requires rewiring the headunit back to the factory settings.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've got a bill from BMW for a 2k brake job on an e36 non-M. Front calipers came in at 500. Each.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I paid £60 for an E46 touring rear hatch wiper arm bush, can I join in this conversation?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

I've got a bill from BMW for a 2k brake job on an e36 non-M. Front calipers came in at 500. Each.

Time for a BBK.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Ignoarints posted:

19.8k. I don't look at most german cars because of the price of aftermarket parts - that's why this car is so appealing because there's nothing more I'd want to do. Yes, my cobalt will feel like a toy car after driving this one. I've been in plenty before but this one is going to blow me away when I directly compare it to the econobox I have as far as ride and interior quality. I imagine it will be a little faster too, but not too much.

You're looking at buying an asset that does nothing but drops like a rock in value which right now is worth HALF of your annual income. I just feel like someone needs to point that out, because when you say it like that it sinks in a bit more.

That said you seem to be financially in a good place, and you seem to be a car person, so I don't think it's really that far out of line. The only big question is since you are buying a "done" car, are you going to want to jump from this sooner since you don't have anything to upgrade/wrench on? Other than that, if the thing has a stack of maintenance records, which it hopefully should, I don't see any reason to not get it. The main thing that goes wrong with people buying BMWs is when they buy a poorly maintained one. It's incredibly easy to sink $2000-3000 into these things just to bring them back up to a good baseline before you even think about doing fun upgrade things to them.

That said, this is AI, not BFC. You should totally buy that car if it has decent maintenance records. It'll scream down the roads and in the twisties and put a huge poo poo-eating grin on your face.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It's nearly 8 times what i paid for my E39, which i'm quickly learning that apart from the pile of common problems, is almost the perfect car.

That's really the way to look at it. Think about how your car drove when it was brand new and especially compared to everything else on the road at the time in 2000. BMW was still way ahead of everyone else in providing a near perfect blend of driver focused performance/sport/luxury then. Regardless of where they've gone since, it's taken since the 70's for everyone else to catch up.

Here is the thread from E90post on that 2007 335 with 80k miles. Some are wisely saying once you need new turbos on an out of warranty car just pay an indy to install some aftermarket versions, some are predicting an even higher bill when associated parts next to what they are replacing fall apart once they get in there.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800927

This is another reason I went after a last year 2011 E90 N55 instead of an N54, they had most of the bugs worked out by then at least I think so, whatever .

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 20, 2013

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

I forgot about the HPFP. I considered the turbos but did not imagine it creating a bill that high. Both of those things I would replace on my own however. I'm concerned about things that I cannot. I'm glad to see that I don't see many catastrophic engine failures around the internet.

And it's not stock at all I wouldn't do anything to it likely. I've only bought stock cars in the past, but wouldn't mind getting one done right off the bat especially since the parts here cost $15,000 when to the rest of world it's maybe $3k in actual value ($1200 Corsa axle back ?? :lol:).

Well that's not true, I'd probably put in a quaife LSD I'm pretty amazed it has an open dif. It begins

Do not buy that car. It has a bunch of performance mods (the fact that the ad claims that it has 15k in mods should be an immediate red flag) and has probably had the poo poo beat out of it. I don't know if you're in the US, but for that same price if you're willing to travel, you can find a car with half the miles that has not had stupid things added to it. Then you can mod it exactly how you want. If you go look at it, make sure they let you look over the maintenance logs. BMW only recommends 15k mile oil changes but they should be done every 5-7.5k in modded ones. On top of that, at that mileage, it will desperately need a valve cleaning if it hasn't been done in the last 5-10k miles. Depending on how aggressive they've set the tune, it could be due for new turbos in the next 10-20k miles. Also if the suspension hasn't been changed or replaced, that will likely need to be done as well. Also look at the last time the clutch was replaced, as it is probably on its second and will be due for changing in a year or so. Then there's the incidentals like fuel injectors and whatnot that like to break on these cars.

Oh, and I just noticed that they added a blow off valve to it as well. Run away.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

Do not buy that car. It has a bunch of performance mods (the fact that the ad claims that it has 15k in mods should be an immediate red flag) and has probably had the poo poo beat out of it. I don't know if you're in the US, but for that same price if you're willing to travel, you can find a car with half the miles that has not had stupid things added to it. Then you can mod it exactly how you want. If you go look at it, make sure they let you look over the maintenance logs. BMW only recommends 15k mile oil changes but they should be done every 5-7.5k in modded ones. On top of that, at that mileage, it will desperately need a valve cleaning if it hasn't been done in the last 5-10k miles. Depending on how aggressive they've set the tune, it could be due for new turbos in the next 10-20k miles. Also if the suspension hasn't been changed or replaced, that will likely need to be done as well. Also look at the last time the clutch was replaced, as it is probably on its second and will be due for changing in a year or so. Then there's the incidentals like fuel injectors and whatnot that like to break on these cars.

Oh, and I just noticed that they added a blow off valve to it as well. Run away.

I know this a common reaction to any car that lists mods and sometimes it is applicable. But this isn't some 19 year old kids Honda Civic that he duct taped his own CAI to. The mods that have been listed sound reasonable and if like Ignoarints said are quality parts it could be a very well tuned car for the money. Of course you should have a PPI done on the car and a thorough test drive. But there is no reason to count the mods against the car in every case. It looks for the most part tastefully done, and if everything checks out it could end up being a good deal. Listing the price of mods is usually a bad indicator but in this case it's probably not that far fetched. It doesn't sound like they are trying to use the mod price as tacked onto the sticker price, which is something you'll see shady Craigslist sellers do.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

I know this a common reaction to any car that lists mods and sometimes it is applicable. But this isn't some 19 year old kids Honda Civic that he duct taped his own CAI to. The mods that have been listed sound reasonable and if like Ignoarints said are quality parts it could be a very well tuned car for the money. Of course you should have a PPI done on the car and a thorough test drive. But there is no reason to count the mods against the car in every case. It looks for the most part tastefully done, and if everything checks out it could end up being a good deal. Listing the price of mods is usually a bad indicator but in this case it's probably not that far fetched. It doesn't sound like they are trying to use the mod price as tacked onto the sticker price, which is something you'll see shady Craigslist sellers do.

But it's been driven a lot. I wouldn't buy this thing unless it was specifically to rebuild into a track car.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Popete posted:

They are adding a good 5-6k to the price based on those mods. Like I said, you can find unmodified ones for that same price with half the miles. Go read the BMS forums for these cars. A lot of them are driven really hard, and a car with that many performance mods and especially the blow off valve is a huge red flag, in addition to the aforementioned ad claiming outrageous mod values. The owner probably dumped it because it's getting to the mileage where a LOT of stuff is going to need to be replaced. I don't even mean stuff breaking, I just mean routine stuff that will need to be done. This sounds like a total impulse purchase and it is a bad one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

They are adding a good 5-6k to the price based on those mods. Like I said, you can find unmodified ones for that same price with half the miles. Go read the BMS forums for these cars. A lot of them are driven really hard, and a car with that many performance mods and especially the blow off valve is a huge red flag, in addition to the aforementioned ad claiming outrageous mod values. The owner probably dumped it because it's getting to the mileage where a LOT of stuff is going to need to be replaced. I don't even mean stuff breaking, I just mean routine stuff that will need to be done. This sounds like a total impulse purchase and it is a bad one.

Yeah I can't say I know much about the newer cars. I was in a similar situation this past year. I was making a little more money, no debt fresh out of college and I really wanted a car. I was looking at dropping around $20k on a nice e46 M3 when I only had around 12k cash. I ended up going with a good condition stock e36 M3 for $7500 and 89k miles, I think it ended up being the right choice. Granted I've dropped around $3k more on mods and maintenance to get it ready for track but it's been fun learning about the car and I still spent only about half the money.

If I were in Ignoriants position I wouldn't take on the debt even if it's not a huge sum. There are plenty of great older BMWs around, especially M3s that can be upgraded for far less. But again the car could end up being just fine and a great buy.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a 2 liter bottle of coke zero explode in the back seat of the M3. Bought it, carried it out to the car, put it in the back seat, drove off, and the whole bottle exploded and drained the entire contents into the seat. Almost all of it drained down the seatbelt opening and under the seat. No idea what that's going to do, but I cleaned up the surfaces.

God drat it.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!
The back seat should just pop right out, man, clean that poo poo up

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LudwigVon Lugnuts posted:

The back seat should just pop right out, man, clean that poo poo up

I guess I need to pull harder.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Not sure what kind of M3 it is, but normally the back just pulls out and there's a couple of 12mm bolts holding down the seat bottom.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Soda probably welded the bolts down.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!
True, what year M3 is this?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LudwigVon Lugnuts posted:

True, what year M3 is this?

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
My '09 335xi just started sputtering under WOT yesterday. Drives fine if I don't push it, but once I give it a little juice the SES light comes on and it runs really rough. It goes back to normal once I granny it for a few minutes, and the light goes off. It's had the HPFP replaced and from what I've read if it goes, it'll display a different warning light — I'm guessing it's something with injectors/coils/plugs? It's stock except for a BMS intake, 65K on the odometer.

It's under warranty and has the maintenance program so I'm hoping it's something routine that simply takes my $50 and gets me a loaner for a day or two, but it's giving me serious stress every time I drive it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The acid in the coke can do nasty things to unprotected bolts.

PXJ800 posted:

My '09 335xi just started sputtering under WOT yesterday. Drives fine if I don't push it, but once I give it a little juice the SES light comes on and it runs really rough. It goes back to normal once I granny it for a few minutes, and the light goes off. It's had the HPFP replaced and from what I've read if it goes, it'll display a different warning light — I'm guessing it's something with injectors/coils/plugs? It's stock except for a BMS intake, 65K on the odometer.

It's under warranty and has the maintenance program so I'm hoping it's something routine that simply takes my $50 and gets me a loaner for a day or two, but it's giving me serious stress every time I drive it.

If the light came on, there will be a code stored. Your first step should always be check the codes.

From what you've described, it sounds like fuel starvation, and would either be the fuel pump or fuel filter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

How does the E60 compare to the E39? I am beginning my car search again (currently in an E39) and I'm trying to decide on a 2000-2004 E39 or 2005 E60. It's really hard to find bad press about the E39. The E60 seems about as exciting as a Ford Taurus, but is about a dozen years more modern platform.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I owned both. 03 E39 540i auto and a 06 E60 550i.

Find the cleanest 03 E39 you can buy, its more connected driving experience than the e60 could be. Generally speaking, it was about as quick as an E39 M5 (I was only off in 30 HP with the same weight), but there was annoyances, and the computer was a bit annoying. At times it felt a little disconnected, until you really laid into it then it became more lively. Plus the interior on the E39 seems cleaner, and not as "show off" as the E60.

So if this tells you anything, I sold my E60 and I am on the hunt for a clean E39.

Though if you do, go for an 08 or newer E60, the iDrive is updated, few more nicetys, etc. Also get a 535i or the 550i. The 528i/525i is absolutely pathetic. No need to get the X-drive, they handle just fine in the snow with some proper tires. Once the snow gets above the front valance, both cars become equally worthless.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the 5 serious chat, I'm disappointed in the space in my E46 wagon coming from a string of Volvos, as I'm poor the E61 is out, how roomy are the E39 wagons?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not very - the rear suspension just isn't particularly compact and the rear glass is relatively steep compared to more practical wagons

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Really? Poo. Where's that 7er touring when you need it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
e39

I dunno, it's not volvo levels of space but I think e39s have plenty. Just wish I could find a loving 528iT manual.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 22, 2013

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Did the Powerflex FCABS in my e46 touring Wednesday. Holy poo poo, what a difference. Just be ready to have a pickle fork and a 5lb sledge and 2 hours to beat the steel outer sleeves out of the aluminum lollipops. Using an actual arbor press to push the new ones helps a lot, too.
Used the opportunity to throw some fresh synchromax into the trans. Fluid looked factory (122k miles) and it stopped spitting me out of third gear for no reason so I have that going for me I suppose.

Also, GOD drat OIL PLUGS in e36s are hollow. I was just glad this happened to my buddy's car and not mine. :gibs:

Bonus picture of touring doing touringy stuff, hauling 12 Columbia 26 sails out of storage. :clint:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SuperDucky posted:

Bonus picture of touring doing touringy stuff, hauling 12 Columbia 26 sails out of storage. :clint:

Those wheels look great on a touring.

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I owned both. 03 E39 540i auto and a 06 E60 550i.

Find the cleanest 03 E39 you can buy, its more connected driving experience than the e60 could be. Generally speaking, it was about as quick as an E39 M5 (I was only off in 30 HP with the same weight), but there was annoyances, and the computer was a bit annoying. At times it felt a little disconnected, until you really laid into it then it became more lively. Plus the interior on the E39 seems cleaner, and not as "show off" as the E60.

So if this tells you anything, I sold my E60 and I am on the hunt for a clean E39.

Though if you do, go for an 08 or newer E60, the iDrive is updated, few more nicetys, etc. Also get a 535i or the 550i. The 528i/525i is absolutely pathetic. No need to get the X-drive, they handle just fine in the snow with some proper tires. Once the snow gets above the front valance, both cars become equally worthless.

E60 interior was a serious downgrade from the E39. Everything in that car feels cheap and flimsy. Exterior is questionable as well, but looks are subjective.

If I was in the market for an e39 I would seriously consider the 530i over the 540i. 300lbs lighter with an engine that is virtually unkillable. Also gets you rack and pinion steering instead of recirculating ball(used in all V8 E39s) for loads of delicious feel. Plenty of examples out there that are well over 400,000 miles and still going strong. Clearly get the manual.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I could probably ride out my days with an E39 540i, 528/530i touring and then maybe an X5 on the side for snow days. And that's what, 15k total and a pallet of radiators and waterpumps on standby? Koolaid status: swilled.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

Those wheels look great on a touring.

:getin:
I just wish it could tow the Flying Tiger 10meter.

Can you imagine that colors matching death machine rolling down 85 behind you? :yarr:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TheStig posted:

If I was in the market for an e39 I would seriously consider the 530i over the 540i. 300lbs lighter with an engine that is virtually unkillable. Also gets you rack and pinion steering instead of recirculating ball(used in all V8 E39s) for loads of delicious feel. Plenty of examples out there that are well over 400,000 miles and still going strong. Clearly get the manual.

Do V8 M5s have rack and pinion?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ziploc posted:

Nopeee

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I could probably ride out my days with an E39 540i, 528/530i touring and then maybe an X5 on the side for snow days. And that's what, 15k total and a pallet of radiators and waterpumps on standby? Koolaid status: swilled.

Don't forget the pallet of transmissions and suspensions for the X5.

Ziploc posted:

Yes they do. And as a former owner, it is a significant step down.

Wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheStig posted:

Yes they do. And as a former owner, it is a significant step down.

Wrong.

You're confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You're confused.

Not so much. I know what I owned.

"How does the steering system of the E39 M5 differ from that of other E39 5 Series models?
Like all V8-powered E39 5 Series models, the E39 M5 is equipped with a recirculating-ball steering system."
http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18

"Like all V8-powered E39 models, the E39 M5 was fitted with a recirculating ball steering system"
http://m5e39.net/about

"the E39 M5 was equipped with a recirculating-ball steering system"
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/m5-e39-ar1378.html

"the E39 M5 was equipped with a recirculating ball steering system. Overall steering ratio was reduced to 14.7 from 17.9"
http://bmwmcars.net/specs/bmw-e39-m5/