Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shura
Jul 3, 2005
How do I get eekeeper to work with the Steam version of Baldur's Gate 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Iggles posted:

Yes and no.

Don't do it too early because if you're low-level the guy who drops it as loot doesn't spawn. Unfortunately I don't know the cut off point for this.

I just did the first level with a level 9/11 fighter/illusionist (6-man party), and got the foebane drop.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Is there a way to lose aggro in IWD2? I used my sorcerer to cast an aoe from distance and draw the group to the party but none of them would stop chasing the caster, even when they took damage from other characters. Same thing happened when we entered a cave and a troll was right in the doorway and he decided to go for the caster and just would never change target, I had to keep manually moving her around kiting him while my party swiped and shot at him. Seems odd that the so called combat IE games have a worse enemy target choice.

Also, maybe because it's early in the game but I've heard repeatedly that the 'encounter design' is better in the IWD games but imho putting orc archers behind barrels and ledges is just annoying, maybe if they had improved the pathing or something but navigating with any precision was never one of the infinity engines strengths.

The items are weird too, I can't tell at a glance, the difference between chain and splint or studded and regular leather. How did they make this worse than Baldur's Gate 1 which came out before it :psyduck:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Shura posted:

How do I get eekeeper to work with the Steam version of Baldur's Gate 2?
Go Settings, Installation Directory and then enter probably this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

The items are weird too, I can't tell at a glance, the difference between chain and splint or studded and regular leather. How did they make this worse than Baldur's Gate 1 which came out before it :psyduck:

Your lore skill in real life is terrible! :mmmhmm:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've played and beaten every Infinity Engine game multiple times. I still play time to time for nostalgia. I suspect the answer is no, but are there any actually good content mods for the games?

Neverwinter Nights spawned wonderful community created content, but it was designed to. Are the Infinity Engine games doomed to creepy crap?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've played and beaten every Infinity Engine game multiple times. I still play time to time for nostalgia. I suspect the answer is no, but are there any actually good content mods for the games?

Neverwinter Nights spawned wonderful community created content, but it was designed to. Are the Infinity Engine games doomed to creepy crap?

Unfinished Business isn't bad, and not all the NPC mods are creepy. If you just want to mix it up, stuff like Divine Remix, Spell Revisions, and Item Randomization make it feel like a different game, even if the story stuff is identical.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I don't think there's any content mods I'd call outstanding but there's a few that aren't creepy and terrible. As to custom content ... DA came with modding tools and look how that turned out. And WeiDU may not have been released with the game but a proper patching tool to let mods become compatible is a million miles beyond what most PC games can get you.

That aside, let me look through my mod list:
The IWD1 NPCs I remember being alright to party with when I last went through it, though IWD being what it is they could really have done with better optimisation.

Assassinations for BG2 is generally highly regarded. About ... what it says on the tin. Good characters shouldn't really get involved but Evil and Neutral characters get plenty of decisions to make about whom to spare, whom to risk reporting on you, whom to backstab and so on. Seemed decent.

Ascension doesn't add that much content vs outright fighting but what's there tends to be well thought of. Holding out for an update to modern modding practices alongisde its BG2EE compatibility, like the one Item Upgrade has already had.

The Interaction Expansion Pack and its individual spin offs for Mazzy, Yoshimo, Viconia and Imoen are fine. They get a bonus to dodging creepiness by being mods directed explicitly at friendship rather than sex.

Unfinished Business is 90% good. And much improved since they cut down the hell of Minsc's Boo quest.

Along the same lines, goon mod Almateria' Restoration Project, giving you back bits and pieces.

I won't vouch for everything in Wheels of Prophecy because I've just not wanted to go along its alternate path, but extra stone head dialogue is cool at least.

BG1wise, you have the BG1 version of Unfinished Business which I've seen people here praise more highly than the original.

Possibly just because I've played it more recently, I can actually recommend some NPC mods for BGI without too many reservations. Valerie's a Cowled Wizard Sorceror sent to investigate Nashkel, Indira is a Fighter/Mage found trapped and close to death in the Firewine Ruins and Isra's a Paladin sent to protect Prism. I've been pretty happy with all of them so far.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so I have a question on behalf of my boyfriend who is playing BG2 for the first time. He killed Valygar in the Umar Hills and I'd guess now has his body. (I've never killed poor Valygar, hence not being sure.)

If he goes and turns Valygar's body into the Cowled Wizards, can he still get into the Planar Sphere somehow or will he lock himself out forever?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arivia posted:

Okay so I have a question on behalf of my boyfriend who is playing BG2 for the first time. He killed Valygar in the Umar Hills and I'd guess now has his body. (I've never killed poor Valygar, hence not being sure.)

If he goes and turns Valygar's body into the Cowled Wizards, can he still get into the Planar Sphere somehow or will he lock himself out forever?

I'm pretty sure if you give his body to the Cowled Wizards that ends the quest. You can, however, use his dead body to open the door to the Sphere yourself.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Havent played BG1 in years and years so I'm redoing it now for the BG2:EE import. God drat is the city of BG terrible. Once you get there its just non stop quests being thrown at you with no real way to tell what to do or where to go. Even the "enhanced journal" they added doesn't make it much easier. I have no idea how to finish even do half these quests.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The uh, upshot to this, is that unless you're running a full party you'll easily hit the level cap before you beat Sarevok even skipping several quests and most of them either don't have non-XP rewards or the items you get don't transfer into BG2.

So if a quest is hard to solve or you can't figure it out you can just skip it!

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The uh, upshot to this, is that unless you're running a full party you'll easily hit the level cap before you beat Sarevok even skipping several quests and most of them either don't have non-XP rewards or the items you get don't transfer into BG2.

So if a quest is hard to solve or you can't figure it out you can just skip it!

Yeah I was kinda tempted to just skip over all the Baldurs Gate city side quests. Are there any "must haves" there though? Like a great item or something?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Havent played BG1 in years and years so I'm redoing it now for the BG2:EE import. God drat is the city of BG terrible. Once you get there its just non stop quests being thrown at you with no real way to tell what to do or where to go. Even the "enhanced journal" they added doesn't make it much easier. I have no idea how to finish even do half these quests.

I have about ten quests that have duplicate entries, too. Oh well.

What is max level for BG? What level do you do the Durlags Tower stuff?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Yeah I was kinda tempted to just skip over all the Baldurs Gate city side quests. Are there any "must haves" there though? Like a great item or something?
There are a couple of permanent stat-boosting tomes around the city. Intelligence is in the top-floor library of one of the city mages, I think a wisdom tome is afforded for an Umberlee temple quest, and the dexterity tome is in a container at the thieves' guild

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are a couple of permanent stat-boosting tomes around the city. Intelligence is in the top-floor library of one of the city mages, I think a wisdom tome is afforded for an Umberlee temple quest, and the dexterity tome is in a container at the thieves' guild

Good items (which are good for BG but do not carry over into BG2) come from the Umberlee quest in the quote above, a mage's house in the southwest portion of the city, the boat brothel in the south center of the city, an inn in the northwest of the city, and another brothel behind an inn in the northeast of the city.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
So, I've been planning on getting BG2 EE during this steam sale, hopefully it gets a daily deal. I've got the non-enhanced one on GOG. Is the shapeshift into Mindflayer, killing something and not getting any xp bug fixed in EE? Also, I seem to recall that hitting things during Timestop should always have a 100% chance to hit, but I remember that not being the case for my sorcerer. Is that fixed too?

Invis fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 22, 2013

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Invis posted:

So, I've been planning on getting BG2 EE during this steam sale, hopefully it gets a daily deal. I've got the non-enhanced one on GOG. Is the shapeshift into Mindflayer, killing something and not getting any xp bug fixed in EE? Also, I seem to recall that hitting things during Timestop should always have a 100% chance to hit, but I remember that not being the case for my sorcerer. Is that fixed too?

I think both of those got fixed in the tweak pack.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Invis posted:

So, I've been planning on getting BG2 EE during this steam sale, hopefully it gets a daily deal.

Same here. I'm genuinely surprised that it went on special at all, but in the rather silly nature of these sales we have to wait until a moment of weakness and pounce, or something like that. I bet that Steam does a lot of sales on the last day when people realise that Game X that they've been watching for weeks isn't going to get any cheaper and they finally break down and buy the bloody thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just picked up BGEE on the iPad and played through the tutorial. Am I missing where the abilities and spells names are listed? I just see runes with icons that I don't know what they are.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are protection items bugged in IWD2 or something? Neither my Cloaks nor Amulets of Protection add to AC that I can see, tried stripping all my characters and none of them gain any AC from putting them on. My only mod is the bonus merchant one, too. Well, and the tweak pack, can't see anything potentially related in the readme though.

E: Weapons with + to AC don't seem to be doing anything either. How annoying.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 22, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JustJeff88 posted:

Same here. I'm genuinely surprised that it went on special at all, but in the rather silly nature of these sales we have to wait until a moment of weakness and pounce, or something like that. I bet that Steam does a lot of sales on the last day when people realise that Game X that they've been watching for weeks isn't going to get any cheaper and they finally break down and buy the bloody thing.

Gamefly has it for $16, if you use code GFDDEC20 you get another discount to $13

Code GFDDEC20UK if you're in the UK.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-baldur%27s-gate-ii-enhanced-edition/5007089

Steam key, activates on steam, etc.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

TraderStav posted:

I just picked up BGEE on the iPad and played through the tutorial. Am I missing where the abilities and spells names are listed? I just see runes with icons that I don't know what they are.

On the main screen, use the question mark icon towards the bottom left, by the quick save and camp icons. If you're in the spell books, unfortunately you need to fill up the memorized spells for that level and then press, hold, and release on an icon to get the spell description.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm thinking about doing an evil play through with a berserker/druid main character (playing like some kind of shadow druid since 2e forbids evil druids). Are there any low reputation drawbacks for druids or the druid stronghold?

edit: for BGII, obviously.

deadking fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 22, 2013

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Wild mages own. I didn't realize that Nahal's Reckless Dweomer lets you cast any spell you know rather than any spell you can cast. So now my 14th level wizard is shooting off Metor Storms all over the place.

Sure, he's flipped gender a time or two. And occasionally he summons a pile of squirrels instead of a magic missile. All part of the fun. The random gender-bending confuses the hell out of the relationship stuff too -- he's currently got Hexxat macking on him because the line got started when he was a she...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Neera is so goddamn broken late game too because of all the bonuses they give her through her quest. There's definitely some pet character nonsense going on there when they designed her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rascyc posted:

Neera is so goddamn broken late game too because of all the bonuses they give her through her quest. There's definitely some pet character nonsense going on there when they designed her.

Like all the other EE NPCs, you mean? They all get pretty ridiculous.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What unique stuff do the other two get?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Like all the other EE NPCs, you mean? They all get pretty ridiculous.

Is there a list of all the rewards/bonuses from quests anywhere? I know Dorn quest gives best BG1 bard armor.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Is there a list of all the rewards/bonuses from quests anywhere? I know Dorn quest gives best BG1 bard armor.

I don't remember Neera's quest in BGEE giving anything that special, but in the Dark Moon temple you can find a "cursed" belt that increases str to 19, but lowers int to 6. Can't say that's a huge problem for melee character in BG1 where there ain't even any mindflayers.

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loving loved baldurs gate 2. I got to the final battle (at least I'm pretty sure it was) against the mage that imprisons you at the beginning of the game and my computer basically shat out (not because of baldurs gate II however). I need to get this game back on my computer and go through it again.

I went with a fighter type, specializing in blunt weaponry.

Compactuss
Mar 21, 2005
take that, enlgish langauge
So, with the BG2: enhanced edition, do I still need to get the latest patch, or is it included like on GOG?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Draile posted:

On the main screen, use the question mark icon towards the bottom left, by the quick save and camp icons. If you're in the spell books, unfortunately you need to fill up the memorized spells for that level and then press, hold, and release on an icon to get the spell description.

Ahh thank, didn't realize it was dynamic. I just spent an hour looking over the classes and reading everything. Such a hard decision! I went with a half Orc fighter specialized in th swords and th style. Haven't played a d&d game since NWN and before that the really old school ones from the late 80s. This looks fantastic.

Anything game breaking that I need to consider before playing or just dive in and don't sweat micro managing?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Just use Keldorn.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

deadking posted:

I'm thinking about doing an evil play through with a berserker/druid main character (playing like some kind of shadow druid since 2e forbids evil druids). Are there any low reputation drawbacks for druids or the druid stronghold?

edit: for BGII, obviously.

Probably not. I would avoid getting extreme rep levels though just in case. No 1, 2, or 19, 20. I know NPC druids always complain when you have 20 rep, although I don't think they ever flat out leave the party because of it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Probably not. I would avoid getting extreme rep levels though just in case. No 1, 2, or 19, 20. I know NPC druids always complain when you have 20 rep, although I don't think they ever flat out leave the party because of it.

Neutral NPCs chafe at 19 and 20 but won't leave. You'd probably want to avoid 1 or 2 simply because it spawns guards everywhere you go, and you might not get a chance to talk to the people you need to kick off the quests. The only requirement I know of for the Druid thing is having your Druid level be 14 to challenge for leadership, because that's a tip that pops up on loading screens.

And, obviously, you can't poison the grove if you want it as your stronghold.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Playing through BG2 EE really makes me wish they would have added a monk, barbarian, and separate sorcerer strong hold. It's such a huge missed opportunity with the source code.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MegaGatts posted:

Playing through BG2 EE really makes me wish they would have added a monk, barbarian, and separate sorcerer strong hold. It's such a huge missed opportunity with the source code.

I wish they would have updated some of the existing strong hold quests too. I'm playing a Kensai/Mage and all three of my junior wizards died attempting to make whatever it was I had picked, and then the Cowled Wizard NPC shows up and basically says "welp they all died I'm not sure what the point of this was" and then he just teleports off.

I have no idea what the point of all this was either. You gave me three apprentices and all I got was bloody chunks all over my laboratory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

homeless poster posted:

I wish they would have updated some of the existing strong hold quests too. I'm playing a Kensai/Mage and all three of my junior wizards died attempting to make whatever it was I had picked, and then the Cowled Wizard NPC shows up and basically says "welp they all died I'm not sure what the point of this was" and then he just teleports off.

I have no idea what the point of all this was either. You gave me three apprentices and all I got was bloody chunks all over my laboratory.

It turns out that letting junior mages gently caress around with stuff that's out of their league is a bad idea and you are a bad mentor.

No moral. If you pick wiser dialogue options they all survive and there's a cute graduation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

homeless poster posted:

All of the stronghold quests involve making decisions that can lead to your stronghold essentially becoming useless. The Paladin and Cleric ones are the most brutal in this regard.

In the case of the mage one you should usually go for the conservative choices, otherwise your apprentices die. If all three apprentices survive you get a bunch of XP then one of them offers to make you a steady stream of potions for free - I guess that would be considered a success in the mage stronghold.