Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
They're really trying to throw blitzkrieg in my face. I've gotten 1 and 2 for at least 4-5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GoldenNugget posted:

They're really trying to throw blitzkrieg in my face. I've gotten 1 and 2 for at least 4-5 times.

Listen to the voices and buy them - they are good games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

I like this new system better than the one they had at the start - it's nice knowing what game is an offer from the start. Plus, the reroll feature actually just gave me a game I didn't have at a big discount, which was rather nice.

What reroll feature? I can't see an option for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Deus Ex 2, Costume Quest, and Divinity II.

Divinity II is pretty great.

Deus Ex II is almost kinda fun but it's such a trainwreck it's hard to enjoy it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What reroll feature? I can't see an option for it.

It wasn't there at the start of the promotion, but every morning for the last 2 or 3 days there's been a button on the right side of the page to click that rerolls your daily deal possibilities and gives three new ones. It can only be used once per day and disappears afterwards, though.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

JustJeff88 posted:

It wasn't there at the start of the promotion, but every morning for the last 2 or 3 days there's been a button on the right side of the page to click that rerolls your daily deal possibilities and gives three new ones. It can only be used once per day and disappears afterwards, though.

I think it's only there if you already own all three of the game choices. Or at least that's the only time I've seen it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Deus Ex II is almost kinda fun but it's such a trainwreck it's hard to enjoy it.
Play it on easy or medium and just play it as a story game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eh! Frank posted:

I think it's only there if you already own all three of the game choices. Or at least that's the only time I've seen it.

I don't recall seeing it the first few days when I also had all 3 choices, but I could be wrong.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can never get Neverwinter Nights Diamond working on Windows 7, it just keeps starting before "NWN.exe has stopped responding" and closing down. Anyone know offhand what the issue is?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Are you running it as administrator, and in XP compatibility mode?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RentACop posted:

Are you running it as administrator, and in XP compatibility mode?

Ah yes, I forgot about compatability mode. Thanks for that reminder.

Speaking of NWN, were any of the premium modules actually finished? ShadowGuard/Witche's Wake end with "to be continued", which they never were, but I've never tried Wyvern Crown of Kingmaker despite them being bundled in because of how annoyed I was by the lack of closure on the first two.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 21, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Play it on easy or medium and just play it as a story game.

Get strength and speed implants and whack everything to death with a baton. Melee is crazy fun in IW.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I can never get Neverwinter Nights Diamond working on Windows 7, it just keeps starting before "NWN.exe has stopped responding" and closing down. Anyone know offhand what the issue is?

There are actually quite a few helpful articles in the support section for NWN. I also just bought it and had this problem. To fix it, rename nwnmain.exe to something different and use that to launch the game. If changing compatibility mode doesn't work, I mean.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Kingmaker is a short standalone module. I have never tried Wyvern Crown and I've heard it was terrible. Also I never could use the launcher to launch the game so I just run nwmain.exe instead.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Has Descent 3 shown up as a daily surprise for anyone yet?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This new week of deals has not been as exciting as the previous week. :(

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That, and I'm surprised they didn't add a new game to their catalog this week. Seems like since they're going to have more visitors than usual, there's a better chance of people impulse-buying a new release.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Darthemed posted:

That, and I'm surprised they didn't add a new game to their catalog this week. Seems like since they're going to have more visitors than usual, there's a better chance of people impulse-buying a new release.

I've gotten the impression in the past that the new release schedule gets trimmed down to almost nothing during the holiday sales.

I was thinking about it, and sometimes I wish that GOG would just flat-out tell people when they have the rights to games and they are in the release pipe, because I imagine that they lose a lot of sales to other distribution platforms. More often than not Steam, being the big fish, will get a game before GOG. Few people who buy on Steam are going to buy it in GOG also, and I think that if they told people "Hey, we're getting Shadowrun soon" people might hold off in order to support that site. Granted Shadowrun came out in Steam in late July and just hit GOG, so it's a bad example, but you see my point.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JustJeff88 posted:

I've gotten the impression in the past that the new release schedule gets trimmed down to almost nothing during the holiday sales.

This is the case. They rarely release anything in December.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Spelunky's keyboard controls do not feel comfortable to me at all, and I can't find any changes that make me happy. Does anyone have any layouts that they would suggest?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamesman posted:

This new week of deals has not been as exciting as the previous week. :(

I keep getting stuff I already own on Steam or old consoles :argh:. Dammit GoG, why won't you be telepathic and know I already own these games?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I keep getting stuff I already own on Steam or old consoles :argh:. Dammit GoG, why won't you be telepathic and know I already own these games?

There's an obvious solution to this problem. You know how you buy games on Steam that you already have a physical copy of just to "have it on Steam"? Well, buy something you already have on Steam on GOG so you can download it onto something and have physical copies all over again :buddy:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have about 50 modern games sitting in my backlog and here I am restarting Planescape: Torment in an effort to finally finish it. :shepface:

I already owned most games in it but that D&D collection from earlier was too good to pass up, probably a year's worth of great gaming for almost nothing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I found a trick with the sale that lets you essentially "reroll" for more personalized deals.

Before you load GOG for the day (thus tieing the deals to your account) load up a private browsing window and load GOG up. If none of the games are to your liking, close the window. Open a new private browsing window and go back to GOG and you'll have a new selection to choose from.

They only become tied to your account if you log in.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

macnbc posted:

So I found a trick with the sale that lets you essentially "reroll" for more personalized deals.

Before you load GOG for the day (thus tieing the deals to your account) load up a private browsing window and load GOG up. If none of the games are to your liking, close the window. Open a new private browsing window and go back to GOG and you'll have a new selection to choose from.

They only become tied to your account if you log in.

Nice! I should have thought of that.

Also I got Nox today in my Timeless category for $1.79. I have fond memories of it, but is there anything I should know before I buy?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hah, I got a Startopia surprise. Who wants a free copy?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Breadallelogram posted:

Nice! I should have thought of that.

Also I got Nox today in my Timeless category for $1.79. I have fond memories of it, but is there anything I should know before I buy?

Not really, it's a pretty decent hack 'n slash but obviously lacks some of the luxuries we're used to these days such as inventory sorting. Make sure you've done everything in a chapter before even talking to the guy you're supposed to talk to or whatever your objective is because you can't always go back afterwards. From what I hear all the classes are pretty fun, although it's the usual deal of warriors getting ten times fewer abilities compared to wizards. Different classes also have different chapters and objectives but you probably knew that already.

Oh, and each chapter has a unique game over speech and there are different screens as well which is one of those features that entertains me more than it should. :v:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

scamtank posted:

Hah, I got a Startopia surprise. Who wants a free copy?

I will take a free copy!

I don't know how that works though. Do you need my GOG name? It's MinionOfCthulhu.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I will take a free copy!

I don't know how that works though. Do you need my GOG name? It's MinionOfCthulhu.

Nah, the system is worthless. I can't message you unless you have an actual post on the GOG forums that I can view and click the PM button on.

Grab it while it's still there, I guess. M3MS-78HM-BEMK-KZW4

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I rolled costume quest on my new games roll. Is it any good?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

I rolled costume quest on my new games roll. Is it any good?

It's Baby's First RPG. I don't really mean that insultingly but it is very simple. You won't ever need to use any sort of strategy in combat except on bosses. If you aren't 10 years old your enjoyment of it will come purely on its other merits. The animations and effects in the fights are neat (though limited and repetitive if you stick with the same costumes, there's only a few attacks for each), I found the overworld sections fun enough to explore and solve simple puzzles and minigames (if a bit grindy trying to find all the macguffins), and the characters charming enough for kids (and evil wizards). The combat doesn't ever get in the way but its not the reason you'll play the game. According to Steam it took me 8 hours to beat both of the stories.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

It's Baby's First RPG. I don't really mean that insultingly but it is very simple. You won't ever need to use any sort of strategy in combat except on bosses. If you aren't 10 years old your enjoyment of it will come purely on its other merits. The animations and effects in the fights are neat (though limited and repetitive if you stick with the same costumes, there's only a few attacks for each), I found the overworld sections fun enough to explore and solve simple puzzles and minigames (if a bit grindy trying to find all the macguffins), and the characters charming enough for kids (and evil wizards). The combat doesn't ever get in the way but its not the reason you'll play the game. According to Steam it took me 8 hours to beat both of the stories.

is there any writing in it and is it any good?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

is there any writing in it and is it any good?

It's a children's story told through text speech, I'm not really sure if I could assign a label of "good" or "bad" or something to it. There's not a huge depth of dialogue here at all, much like the combat it is very simple (everyone gets along, there's no conflict, its a feel good story). Your twin brother/sister is kidnapped by an evil wizard and you have to save him/her with the help of your friends, other kids you meet along the way, and your magically transforming Halloween costumes (for example, cardboard giant robot, bedsheet State of Liberty).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

It's a children's story told through text speech, I'm not really sure if I could assign a label of "good" or "bad" or something to it. There's not a huge depth of dialogue here at all, much like the combat it is very simple (everyone gets along, there's no conflict, its a feel good story). Your twin brother/sister is kidnapped by an evil wizard and you have to save him/her with the help of your friends, other kids you meet along the way, and your magically transforming Halloween costumes (for example, cardboard giant robot, bedsheet State of Liberty).

I think i'll give it a miss then.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
I got Avadon 2 for 40% off from the random magic section. Anyone tried it? I've played the first, of course, but I haven't heard anything about the new one.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So unbelievably mad I missed out on free fallout.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

So unbelievably mad I missed out on free fallout.

I may or may not have gifted 10,000 copies of it to myself... (check your PMs)

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I've been getting a 500 Internal Error whenever trying to log in, has anyone else encountered this?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Any thoughts on the Descent series? I want to fly around and shoot stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

liquid courage posted:

Any thoughts on the Descent series? I want to fly around and shoot stuff.

If you also like massive, sprawling levels where its incredibly easy to get lost or turned around then you certainly get to fly around and shoot stuff in Descent. Though thats really the only mark I have against it, besides the unfair difficulty on harder modes.