Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oxford Comma, I just wanted to say I like the cut of your jib. You have a way with words.

Edit to add:

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malacept
Sep 18, 2006

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
Does anyone have any GSD breeder recommendations in the Pittsburgh area? Anything within 100 miles of Pittsburgh would be fine, actually. I've wanted a pair of Shepherds now for years, and we're almost ready for them. I'd like to start checking out breeders and talking about reserving puppies from a litter.

I'd prefer a dog from the working lines rather than the show lines. I'm far more interested in an adventure companion (with good hips & elbows) than any sloping back requirements.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I have littermates, and I don't recommend it. Its a lot, I mean a lot of work to raise them properly. Littermates that are raised together will bond extremely strongly. You will need to separate them a lot: feeding, kenneling, play, and walks should be separate. Of course you will need to train them separately. This will help them bond to their people.

Ideally, get the second one in a year. I would say 2 years based on how my dogs developed.

A matched pair of GSDs is very cool. People pull their cars over to compliment my two :3

Malacept
Sep 18, 2006

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I have littermates, and I don't recommend it. Its a lot, I mean a lot of work to raise them properly. Littermates that are raised together will bond extremely strongly. You will need to separate them a lot: feeding, kenneling, play, and walks should be separate. Of course you will need to train them separately. This will help them bond to their people.

Ideally, get the second one in a year. I would say 2 years based on how my dogs developed.

A matched pair of GSDs is very cool. People pull their cars over to compliment my two :3

Thanks! I hadn't even considered that the pair-bonding might interfere with the people-bonding. It will be at least a year before we've moved to a place with enough room for a GSD, so I'd like to learn as much as I can in that time.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Totally agreeing on the littermate thing. Raising one puppy is enough work on its own without adding to the frustration. Think about how much work it is for people who have twins. Much easier to have one, then add another in a couple years. :)

As far as breeder recommendations, I don't know anyone in your area, but a good place to start your search might be the forums at germanshepherds.com. Keep in mind, you'll have to take a lot of their suggestions with a grain of salt, because not everyone has the same standards for looking at breeders. But at the very least, you'll have a list of breeders to start looking in to. They'll give you some good things to think about, and you can always share the breeders you find here, and we'll be more than happy to give our 2 cents. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Just want to chime in and agree getting littermates is not the best idea. Not only are they less likely to bond with you, one or both may become really dependent on the other and not do well when separated. They can become really insecure and lack confidence when they're without the other.

House-training one puppy is a sleep-depriving pain in the rear end on its own, I couldn't imagine doing two at the same time. Not to mention all the other stuff like socialization (critical window for that is roughly 6-12 weeks), manners and basic training, etc. Plus double the cost for food/toys/veterinary stuff. Raising two puppies successfully involves doing everything separately with them, which of course means it takes twice as much of your time. Exhausting.

Sorry, I have no input for good breeders in your area. :/ But we can certainly help you look or at least let you know what to look for in a breeder. The only one I really know is Wildhaus up in Michigan. I haven't been looking into it much since chances are I'll just end up going for a rescue GSD.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I do want to say, because I believe I am the only person so far who has chimed in who HAS actually raised littermates more-or-less successfully:

If you and your spouse or a very responsible teenager are ready and willing to do this, raising 2 puppies is no worse than raising one. But you will each have YOUR dog and you cannot shirk responsibility. Yeah, it totally fine to let them play together and exercise them together a bunch, but you need to treat them as individuals and not like "the dogs," if that makes sense.

I find raising puppies fun and rewarding and not really too much work, and I got these guys in November in northern BC, with -20 weather and no yard to make housebreaking a really fun time :)

Malacept
Sep 18, 2006

I will definitely just be getting one puppy to start now. I found two breeders near pittsburgh:

http://www.kirchenwald.com/

http://www.wolfstraum.net/ (what is up with breeder websites looking straight out of the early 90's?)

Kirchenwald might be my best bet. I'm looking for more of a working-line companion that can stay active and healthy. What do you guys think?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Malacept posted:

I will definitely just be getting one puppy to start now. I found two breeders near pittsburgh:

http://www.kirchenwald.com/

http://www.wolfstraum.net/ (what is up with breeder websites looking straight out of the early 90's?)

Kirchenwald might be my best bet. I'm looking for more of a working-line companion that can stay active and healthy. What do you guys think?

Well, I only did a glance over the two and haven't dug too deep, but from what I've seen, I personally prefer the second breeder. It looks like the first breeder deals with mostly West German Showline dogs, so that's a different "flavor" of GSD than the second, who is breeding working line dogs. For WGS dogs they do seem to have a decent structure and aren't ridiculous with the roached backs, but it really looks like their main focus is showing since that's how they got started in the breed in the first place.

I really like how the second breeder talks about temperament, and that's something really important if you're looking for a family companion that's going to be able to settle in the house:

Wolfstraum posted:

Solid Temperament and nerves - The ideal in temperament for the breed calls for a discerning intelligence. The ability to distinguish a threat, the ability to function in a social situation in an appropriate manner, to live as a devoted companion and a protector of family and home. The ideal personality combines confidence, both socially and environmentally, loyalty, sound nerves, strength of character and a dog who is at home on the couch, or on a working field!

Working Drives - The German Shepherd is first and foremost a working dog, too many breeders lose sight of the "whole dog" while attempting to "fix" characteristics of color and appearance or of some specific ability. DESIRE to work - to hunt, to discern between a threat and a neutral situation, to protect, to guard sheep or home and family.

Don't let a crappy website deter you from a breeder. Not everyone is able to make a good website or pay someone else to do it for them. The thing you need to look at is whether or not they're good with the DOGS, whether they're breeding for health and temperament, and whether they seem like they're actually accomplishing their breeding goals instead of haphazardly throwing two dogs together.

I'd say you're off to a good start in your search. Now is when you start digging a little deeper! :) You want to contact any breeders you're interested in and find out specifics of how they test and track health in their lines/puppies, how the puppies are raised, how they evaluate temperament to place the puppies in the best homes, etc.

Here's a great (long) guide to help you get started asking questions. It's definitely worth the read, as it's aimed at prospective GSD owners. Remember not to limit yourself to breeders right in your area, too. There are plenty of GSD breeders here near Chicago, but I'm personally more interested in the ones I've found in MI and WI, and driving for a day to get the perfect puppy for my family and my goals is worth it to me. There's also the option of shipping a puppy, too!

Pez Rattie
Jan 1, 2010
I'M A DUMB, SNEERY CUNT AND SO IS MY ROOM MATE
Puppy update - Frank just turned 5 months old and is now searching on cordite and, as soon as I get the rest of the ingredients, doing great in his explosive detection work. He picks up on new things very quickly and is incredibly fast and agile. He puts his nose to the task and loves to work but at home he settles in very nicely and is calm. I'm not sure if it's because he genetically has a nice off switch or if it's just how I raise dogs. Literally all my dogs, puppies, fosters and adopted adults have been calm in the house. Aside from his initial exuberance, he plays very well with other dogs, recognizing when he has pushed a dog too far and backing off. He walks well on a loose leash and gives me his attention when we encounter anything unusual or new. We weave in and out of sidewalk crowds and he'll bring me anything I drop on the sidewalk - paper, keys, wallet, etc. Fantastic German Shepherd from Zu Treuen Handen!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I'm so glad you posted more pictures! He sure is growing up handsome. It sounds like you guys are having a blast, I can't wait to start getting into all that fun stuff. It's awesome that you're doing real detection work, too, I just do not have the dedication for that serious commitment.

Pez Rattie
Jan 1, 2010

Malacept posted:

Does anyone have any GSD breeder recommendations in the Pittsburgh area? Anything within 100 miles of Pittsburgh would be fine, actually. I've wanted a pair of Shepherds now for years, and we're almost ready for them. I'd like to start checking out breeders and talking about reserving puppies from a litter.

I'd prefer a dog from the working lines rather than the show lines. I'm far more interested in an adventure companion (with good hips & elbows) than any sloping back requirements.

Do not get two at the same time. GSDs are pretty special dogs and it's important to create a good foundation with them in your relationship, training and socialization for the first couple of years. Working lines have higher drives, which makes them difficult for some people but wonderful for others. That being said, I have a friend with a Wolfstraum dog and she has had a good experience with the breeder and the dog.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Pez Rattie posted:

Do not get two at the same time. GSDs are pretty special dogs and it's important to create a good foundation with them in your relationship, training and socialization for the first couple of years.

Malacept already said they were going to get one for now :confused:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
All of these GSDs seems so much smarter than mine. I love her to bits and it's not like she misbehaves but she definitely gets by on her looks, so to speak. Unfortunately I don't really have any pictures with me since I moved away, but I'll get some while I'm home for Xmas. She's pedigree but we've not done shows or anything like that, just obedience classes which she did pretty well at. Her back doesn't slope at all, which as I understand it is a good thing. I did find this video I took a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQN07bAfSQU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She's awful cute. :3: Also my border collie was VERY intrigued by the ocarina noises.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Holy crap is she pretty!!! :3:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Good news, I found some recent photos on my phone. That video is from a few months after we got her. I came home from uni one day and a puppy rounded the corner. She was kinda fat cos the breeder had fed her porridge. She's changed quite a bit since then.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Ohhhh she looks so soft :3:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Ohhhh she looks so soft :3:

She is indeed extremely floofy. It's not terribly visible but in the third picture she's got her tail tucked in to protect her modesty. She'll generally assume that position if you stay near her for any length of time.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh, that's a lovely dog :) I love landsharks, they're beautiful animals and all sorts of smart. I really want one but right now I live alone in a teeny-tiny apartment and tend to spend half a day at work, no way can i look after a puppy.. so I just live vicariously through PI :3:

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
Have a Shepard question for you, thread.

My guy is a year and four months old and has a mystery ailment of sorts that I'm wondering about before I get antsy and take him to the vet.

Yesterday, he was outside playing for a bit and came up a little lame after a fetch. No visible limping or favouring of limbs at the time, but he's now giving off a little pained whine when he goes to push off his back left leg when he's trying to elevate (Think stairs, hopping onto couches, propelling to standing positions, trotting type running) but he's still able to do all his normal energetic dog things and is comfortable sitting and laying, albeit rising a bit awkwardly. He went for a normal walk today and was his normal self, sniffing around and being a ball of late-puppy type energy. Eating fine, sleeping normally otherwise.

My googling skills have heavily suggested that he pulled a muscle and I should really be worried if it persists longer than 48 hours or if he starts to visible try to remove weight from it consistently or noticeably begins to avoid putting any pressure on. I'm mostly trying to confirm I'm not overlooking anything obvious here. He exhibits no pain effects when touched anywhere on the leg, so I'm also wondering if there's anything I could be doing to treat if it is just a passing ache for him. Are dog strains treated the same as human strains?

Thanks much for any thoughts on the matter, everyone! I promise adorable dog shots when he's ready to be cute on couches again, hopefully soon.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

If it's a temporary limp, I'd not think much of it. Dogs do dumb stuff sometimes, and normally it works out just fine. If it persists more than a day, I'd restrict exercise for a week or two to let it heal up. If it continues longer 1+ week, or persistently reemerges I'd probably take the dog to a vet for an exam.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ok, so seriously.... how does The German Shepherd Dog Club of America manage to have This:

GSDCA posted:

Topline-- The withers are higher than and sloping into the level back. The back is straight, very strongly developed without sag or roach, and relatively short.The whole structure of the body gives an impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness.

RIGHT next to this picture:

:psyduck:

I mean, it's like they've never even read it.

Pez Rattie
Jan 1, 2010

WolfensteinBag posted:

Ok, so seriously.... how does The German Shepherd Dog Club of America manage to have This:

RIGHT next to this picture:

:psyduck:

I mean, it's like they've never even read it.

Honestly, "stacking" them exaggerates the topline, though the picture of this dog, which is obviously American lines does look to have a sloped back in the first place. Here is a video showing a straight-backed dog being stacked to elongate and stretch them, giving the dog more slope then it appears to have. If we looked at that dog in only the stacked position we would think he was more slope-backed then as you can see, he really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGX0G-KTlAE

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

GSD people, what do you think about Black Lion Kennels? When I was training my little mutt dog, it was with Don Evans Training. I really liked Don (and he liked me, he said if he needed an employee I had the raw talent to help him train dogs :3: )and I really liked his dogs, which would have been the foundation of Black Lion.

Their website doesn't discuss their dogs much, but from what they have: what do you think?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I really
REALLY
REALLY
like the way this guy talks about dogs. He sounds like he approaches temperament in the same way Wildhaus does that made me really want one of their dogs. In general, someone breeding for WORK is going to breed for a better temperament, because the dog needs really solid nerve. I know exactly what that guy is talking about in relation to kennels that focus on sport, and that's exactly the reason I'm going to end up going two states over for a dog when I could easily get a sport dog that's only about an hour away.

I'm really interested to read more on the site. I'd say as long as there's health testing to back it up, on paper the guy knows what he's doing in terms of temperament.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Awesome! I got a great impression from their website. Thanks WBag, I know you have done so much research. Your opinion matters to me :h: and I'm really glad you like them too.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aww, thanks! :blush: Good to know the gobs of over researching is coming in handy, haha.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pez Rattie posted:

Honestly, "stacking" them exaggerates the topline, though the picture of this dog, which is obviously American lines does look to have a sloped back in the first place. Here is a video showing a straight-backed dog being stacked to elongate and stretch them, giving the dog more slope then it appears to have. If we looked at that dog in only the stacked position we would think he was more slope-backed then as you can see, he really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGX0G-KTlAE

I meant to say thanks for posting that video! I always wondered why show stacked dogs always looked like they were going to fall sideways when stacked. I still maintain that dog has too much slope, though. :colbert:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo had a switch in his brain at about 1 year and a bit where he went from being a holy terror to this sweet soft well behaved house dog I don't know how it happened. Dog magic.

And you can tell Mo and Maggie apart pretty easily now

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mo and Maggie. :kimchi:

WolfensteinBag posted:

I still maintain that dog has too much slope, though. :colbert:

Agreed. :colbert: Otherwise he's very handsome.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Saw this on Facebook, I'll just leave it here...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Merry Christmas to me! :dance:

So excited to read this, finally! Really starting to gear up for possible new puppy.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Merry Christmas

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 26, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard: Yay Xmas bitey faces!!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Thought it would be nice to do an update collage

tiggeril
Feb 19, 2004

You are all aware of the price of failure.
Mo still sitting like a doof makes me happier than it should.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

tiggeril posted:

Mo still sitting like a doof makes me happier than it should.

He is LAZY. He always tries to lean back against something when he sits. He keeps knocking our closet doors off the rails by being a big butt.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

GUYS. I guess I've spilled enough on Facebook, I might as well talk about it here. Depending on how our tax return shakes out with paying a bunch of stuff off, we might be ready for a dog sooner rather than later. Just in case we're ready in time for the Wildhaus P litter, we're penciled in for wanting a pup, and yesterday I finished up and send over a questionnaire that ended up being, I think, 12 pages. I'm totally on edge here, guys. :ohdear:

http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
GONNA LIVE SO GODDAMN loving VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU.

Just fyi. :allears:

• Locked thread