Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HenessyHero posted:

I hope this series learns a few moves from Dawn of War II and realizes The Hat is the most powerful office of the inquisitor.

I have sentenced worlds to death with my hat!

Thinking about it, it'd be drat cool if you got a decent squad combat/story simulator thing with an actual inquisitor from warhammer 40,000. Of course you'd have to do it with absolutely no romance options whatsoever just to gently caress with (hahaha) the people who would demand that you can and totally should sleep with a deamonette.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Thinking about it, it'd be drat cool if you got a decent squad combat/story simulator thing with an actual inquisitor from warhammer 40,000. Of course you'd have to do it with absolutely no romance options whatsoever just to gently caress with (hahaha) the people who would demand that you can and totally should sleep with a deamonette.

I think I'm just going to have to play DAI declaring everything to be heretics, killing everyone, and building only temples to the glory of the emperor and military installations. Screw the daemonette, farseers are where its at.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I remember back when ME2 was fresh people thought a Bioware-made 40K Inquisition RPG would be completely fantastic but I doubt many still think that.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Screw the daemonette, farseers are where its at.

Fallen Vindicare account spotted.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HenessyHero posted:

I remember back when ME2 was fresh people thought a Bioware-made 40K Inquisition RPG would be completely fantastic but I doubt many still think that.

At this point I think Bioware is incapable of making a game with aliens that you don't have an option of loving.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Internet Kraken posted:

At this point I think Bioware is incapable of making a game with aliens that you don't have an option of loving.

Bioware writers would discover Slaanesh and force the players to become devotees thereof. For no loving reason.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

HenessyHero posted:

Bioware, warts and all, would probably thrive writing in that universe. It has a lot of conceptual similarities and familiar archetypes that they like to explore. Also, it's usually accompanied by terribly written fiction.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Dan Didio posted:

Bioware, warts and all, would probably thrive writing in that universe. It has a lot of conceptual similarities and familiar archetypes that they like to explore. Also, it's usually accompanied by terribly written fiction.

I'm okay with Bioware making a dark heresy inquisition game as long as Obsidian does the rogue trader followup.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

drgnvale posted:

I'm okay with Bioware making a dark heresy inquisition game as long as Obsidian does the rogue trader followup.

That would be ideal.

I always thought Gearbox circa the Brothers in Arms series would do a mean Gaunt's Ghost-style shooter.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I would prefer both the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader games to be made by Obsidian.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

CIAPHAS CAIN: THE GAME! Buy now or be executed as a traitor to Humanity!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Frankenmom was worth 5 dollars, I've never laughed as hard at a game as I did when she toddled onto the screen.

It was her dancing in the background that really made it special.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I think I'm just going to have to play DAI declaring everything to be heretics, killing everyone, and building only temples to the glory of the emperor and military installations. Screw the daemonette, farseers are where its at.

With a name like Dragon Age Inquisition, surely they must allow you to play like that? I mean, what's the point if you can't torture everyone you meet to death for being/possibly having met someone who once was corrupted by demons?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

With a name like Dragon Age Inquisition, surely they must allow you to play like that? I mean, what's the point if you can't torture everyone you meet to death for being/possibly having met someone who once was corrupted by demons?

After completely fumbling the ball with an unconventional narrative in DA2 it looks like the 'Inquisition' is just a safe return to the Grey Wardens/Jedi/Spectre Office of plot convenient authority. It allows them to write situations like 'and then you burned down the village/sold the children/etc' without there having to be a follow-up where the local authorities arrest you for being a psychopathic videogame character and it makes the player feel more like a badass when they can make wide-reaching decisions on a whim without any of the checks and balances of a real political position. I'm sure there'll be a few nods to historical real-world parallels but I'll be surprised if they feature heavily in the plot or decision-making.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I bet we get another Holocaust reference

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

jerichojx posted:

I still can't believe they did that.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Do we know if there were any key Bioware writers that left after Baldur's Gate 2?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

jerichojx posted:

Templars will use the dreaded cyclone bees to root out the Magry.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

edit: Found this site with some screenshots I hadn't seen elsewhere.

This game and Pillars of Eternity herald a new age of boss hats.
I'm not too into the game, to be honest. Mass Effect 3 really burned up all the goodwill for me, but that hat is great. It's about time Bioware followed Obsidian's footsteps by including extravagant hats in their games. It's not good fantasy until you include flamboyant hats.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Dan Didio posted:

Bioware, warts and all, would probably thrive writing in that universe. It has a lot of conceptual similarities and familiar archetypes that they like to explore.

I remember people used to talk about how the Radical/Puritan split was a good analogue for the Renegade/Paragon split but I'm not sure how else Bioware would be at home in this universe. Bioware tends to lean on having ubermenche PCs who can potentially do no wrong and their one attempt at straying away from that was not very well-received at all. Bioware's attempt at resolving a large scale plot involving initially unstoppable space eldrich monsters didn't pan out to the satisfaction of fans either.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 23, 2013

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Jimbot posted:

I'm not too into the game, to be honest. Mass Effect 3 really burned up all the goodwill for me, but that hat is great. It's about time Bioware followed Obsidian's footsteps by including extravagant hats in their games. It's not good fantasy until you include flamboyant hats.

I can't empty quote in here, can I?

While looking for more screenshots of goofy hats that I would love to put on my wardenchampion inquisitor, I found a screenshot of a nug! I want a pet one.

I don't know how I feel about this hat,

She's one of the companions, though, so it doesn't really matter.
Edit: There's already fanart for the companions in inquisition.

Edit2: This things pretty cool.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 22, 2013

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
If that's the same mage woman from the preview, she's actually toned down the ridiculousness of her headgear from the gigantic white horns she was wearing before. Also, that creepy eyeless thing looks good too. I'm guessing it's one of those new demons that they talked about.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bored posted:

She's one of the companions, though, so it doesn't really matter.

That's a character from The Witcher 2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bored posted:

That Sile De Tansaville from The Witcher 2, definitely not one of the new companions.

e: ^^ beaten

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That Sile De Tansaville from The Witcher 2, definitely not one of the new companions.

e: ^^ beaten

Kibayasu posted:

That's a character from The Witcher 2.

Sorry. My bad.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

prometheusbound2 posted:

Do we know if there were any key Bioware writers that left after Baldur's Gate 2?

I don't think so. They've gained plenty of new writers, both good and bad, but many of the old ones are still with them. It's not like the Baldur's Gate games were very well written to begin with, but standards for game writing were even lower back then so it didn't draw as much attention.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bored posted:

Edit2: This things pretty cool.
Gotta say that I'm approving of the direction that Bioware is taking with the demons in DA:I. Hell, that thing is basically a Cenobite and that jumps it up a few notches in my eyes, at least.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Varam posted:

I don't think so. They've gained plenty of new writers, both good and bad, but many of the old ones are still with them. It's not like the Baldur's Gate games were very well written to begin with, but standards for game writing were even lower back then so it didn't draw as much attention.

Eh, it depends what you want. Personally I found the ending of ME3 to be bad, the rest of it was good space blasting fun and I think the idea of building up forces is a pretty much vital one for any game that is going to be consuming a lot of time.

I do think that a few things might need changing however. Say the whole "gathering forces" make it so that there are appreciable set backs for being too diplomatic to people, or that you end up actually loving up and it is your fault instead of plot mandated bull-crap you can't stop.

Though I dunno, how would you have it so that people aren't playing a badass, do you think that'd be a popular game? The last time that happened (in D2) it didn't work out so well though for different reasons than might seem obvious to a marketing person.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Josef bugman posted:

Eh, it depends what you want. Personally I found the ending of ME3 to be bad, the rest of it was good space blasting fun and I think the idea of building up forces is a pretty much vital one for any game that is going to be consuming a lot of time.

I do think that a few things might need changing however. Say the whole "gathering forces" make it so that there are appreciable set backs for being too diplomatic to people, or that you end up actually loving up and it is your fault instead of plot mandated bull-crap you can't stop.

Though I dunno, how would you have it so that people aren't playing a badass, do you think that'd be a popular game? The last time that happened (in D2) it didn't work out so well though for different reasons than might seem obvious to a marketing person.
I don't know if it'd be popular, but I'd enjoy it at least. I actually did enjoy DA2, though, repeated areas and over-stylized combat animations notwithstanding.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't know if it'd be popular, but I'd enjoy it at least. I actually did enjoy DA2, though, repeated areas and over-stylized combat animations notwithstanding.

See I disliked it because it didn't have the same build up and a lot of the more mechanical problems bled through into storyline problems.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The reason that Mass Effect worked was that Bioware was just cribbing off of Star Control. The game really shines when it's doing this and celebrating being a goofy not-Star Trek, but the writers occasionally decide they need to write super serious space drama and everything goes to poo poo with star childs and no-gently caress-you-dad companion backstories. Bioware's strength is that they're not bad at rehashing stories better writers have already told.

I wouldn't hold out for Witcher-style choice-and-consequence though. Bioware has yet to make a game that recognizes player choices beyond the cosmetic level. If their 3D modelers wants you to fight a stupid boss, you're fighting that stupid boss.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Microcline posted:

The reason that Mass Effect worked was that Bioware was just cribbing off of Star Control. The game really shines when it's doing this and celebrating being a goofy not-Star Trek, but the writers occasionally decide they need to write super serious space drama and everything goes to poo poo with star childs and no-gently caress-you-dad companion backstories. Bioware's strength is that they're not bad at rehashing stories better writers have already told.

I wouldn't hold out for Witcher-style choice-and-consequence though. Bioware has yet to make a game that recognizes player choices beyond the cosmetic level. If their 3D modelers wants you to fight a stupid boss, you're fighting that stupid boss.

Eh "gently caress you dad" is kind of a plot motivation for Oedipus and a lot of tragic figures, just needs a bit more of a deft touch than what Bioware tends to do. I still can't call it horrifically bad when you compare it to the average "butch deadlift" story.

See I don't really like the witcher much because... well its kind of loving grim. I don't mind it being grim and gritty I'd just sooner not play it if its "back these racists or murder these townspeople" level of moral choice.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Eh "gently caress you dad" is kind of a plot motivation for Oedipus and a lot of tragic figures, just needs a bit more of a deft touch than what Bioware tends to do. I still can't call it horrifically bad when you compare it to the average "butch deadlift" story.

See I don't really like the witcher much because... well its kind of loving grim. I don't mind it being grim and gritty I'd just sooner not play it if its "back these racists or murder these townspeople" level of moral choice.

I think another problem is just that they used they daddy issues too much in ME 2. A good chunk of the loyalty missions had something to do with someone being a lovely dad.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Here's Vivienne, the mage companion, by the way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Countdown to a white Vivienne mod...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Lotish posted:

Countdown to a white Vivienne mod...
White pants-less Vivienne

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kissekatt posted:

White pants-less Vivienne

White, pants-less, "You call that a boob window? THIS is a boob window" mod.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Then months after those kind of mods someone makes a "less sexualized mage robes" mod and is booed off the modding site forever.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So Steam put DA Origins on sale again and so I bought it and gave it a try.

I am still really early into the game and I started off as a Dwarf Casteless. I have to say, compared to DA2, DA Origins start seems like a goddamn masterpiece.

The dialogue and setting for the Dwarf Casteless is really good. You actually feel sorry for Rica and contempt for your boss and warmth for your lovable scamp of a friend.

Are the DLC expansions any good and should I consider getting them? Will they be cheaper on Origins or do I only have to buy them on Bioware Social?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you like Origins and the Warden, you might look into getting Awakening. Everything else you can skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

jerichojx posted:

So Steam put DA Origins on sale again and so I bought it and gave it a try.

I am still really early into the game and I started off as a Dwarf Casteless. I have to say, compared to DA2, DA Origins start seems like a goddamn masterpiece.

The dialogue and setting for the Dwarf Casteless is really good. You actually feel sorry for Rica and contempt for your boss and warmth for your lovable scamp of a friend.

Are the DLC expansions any good and should I consider getting them? Will they be cheaper on Origins or do I only have to buy them on Bioware Social?

Awakening is fine. Did you get the Ultimate Edition or the regular? Ultimate comes with everything, including Awakening.

Really though, I can take or leave Awakening. You got Shale and Warden's Keep in the base game, which are, other than Return to Oastagar, the best addon content. Return to Ostagar is pretty good, but it's by no means necessary.

• Locked thread