Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Biggz posted:

I user AVPlayerHD you can start an FTP server within AVPlayer and copy files across. I've also created folders via FTP and they show up fine within the app.

It also plays just about any format, but i don't think i've specifically tried MKV.

It definitely plays MKV. Every time someone mentions some newer, supposedly great video app I give it a go and always come back to AVPlayer and AVPlayerHD. Nothing beats those two IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I used to use Goodplayer, I now use AirVideo HD, and I want to try nPlayer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The VLC App is the best I've used. Hands down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
NPlayer is nice and it plays AC3 audio!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Housh posted:

I got my old man an iPad Air for Christmas and I want to load it up with movies and tv shows that I have on my computer but I'm trying to find the best way to do this. Most of my video files are MKV format. I know with the VLC app I can get them on there but I don't like the lack of folders specially for TV shows.

Anyone recommend an app or should I bite the bullet and handbrake everything for him to just view in iTunes?

There's a program on Windows (not sure if it's out in Mac) called simply MKV to MP4. It takes your MKVs and just puts them into a different format without actually fully reencoding like Handbrake. It's what I've used for all my stuff to get it to play nice with my iTunes/iPad/iPhone/Apple TV.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

The VLC App is the best I've used. Hands down.

I wish the VLC app had gestures for volume and fast forward like their own desktop app. And the ac3 audio.

And over-volume. And background playback.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 22, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

I wish the VLC app had gestures for volume and fast forward like their own desktop app. And the ac3 audio.

Ac3 audio works if you change your iPad's timezone to something out of USA. I just found a Canadian city in my zone and voila.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

And over-volume. And background playback.
Well I don't know about VLC's desktop gestures, but by default nPlayer has swipe up/down for volume and left/right for moving the timeline marker. And all that can be customized to different stuff in prefs. And there's audio boost and background playback options. And AC3.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there not a single decent ipad IRC client? I've gone through like 5 of them and they either half work with a terrible interface or have no logging options. The one I've found that does have a logging option has no names in the logs for some reason.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Run a client on a shell and connect with an ssh client.

It's is way less annoying for everyone in the channel when your device drops the background connection.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Any suggestions on a keepass compatible app that can read the kdbx file? Mini keepass seems to be the only one so far on the App Store.

I've been using Kypass 3, works well enough and syncs via iCloud.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I've been using Colloquy + a ZNC bouncer for IRC. Works well, and there's a plugin so my ZNC server can push messages to my phone when it's backgrounded.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there not a single decent ipad IRC client? I've gone through like 5 of them and they either half work with a terrible interface or have no logging options. The one I've found that does have a logging option has no names in the logs for some reason.

Limewire doesn't have logging but it's the nicest looking IRC app I think.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Limewire doesn't have logging but it's the nicest looking IRC app I think.

Limechat*

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I wondered why Limewire looked wrong when I typed it. Yeah, Limechat.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Kazy posted:

I've been using Colloquy + a ZNC bouncer for IRC. Works well, and there's a plugin so my ZNC server can push messages to my phone when it's backgrounded.

You can also use proxy on an irssi session running in screen to have it act like a server. When you connect you get all the messages, and everything shows up on your shell even when you aren't connected to it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Kazy posted:

This sounds great, I'm going to try it. I've been IRCing since the mid 90's, but haven't really in the last few years because I don't really sit at a desktop when I'm internetting anymore. I think I got Colloquy for IOS when it came out. It was great except the losing connection issue so I just stopped using it.

With IRC it seems like it's either feast or famine and you really need it running in the background to enjoy it.

Now IMing, that's something that's dead to me. It's like text message/facebook has replaced it.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Palaver + Znc is a great combo for IRC, You can use the znc-push module to get notifications a bunch of ways.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Nask26 posted:

Palaver + Znc is a great combo for IRC, You can use the znc-push module to get notifications a bunch of ways.

I've been using ZNC for years but just discovered znc-push last week. I bought Pushover for iOS and it works great for receiving notifications that someone is talking to me on IRC when I'm detached.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone have any recommendations for games in the style of candy crush but without the obnoxious f2p mechanics? Apparently my mom enjoys it but hates waiting and refuses to buy up (yay!).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for games in the style of candy crush but without the obnoxious f2p mechanics? Apparently my mom enjoys it but hates waiting and refuses to buy up (yay!).

Isn't it basically Bejeweled?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How do you unsubscribe from a podcast in Downcast?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Easiest way I can think of is to swipe (left?) across it on the podcast list.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ah that's it! Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's also an Edit button on the top left in the Podcasts list.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

withak posted:

Isn't it basically Bejeweled?

I'll admit I didn't look at the gameplay too closely but it sure seems like it. Holy hell how is this game so popular/cash generating if it's just a knockoff of a popcap game?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Scanner Pro is on sale right now for $2.99! It's a phenomenal app even at full price, so if you handle any documents that you want digitized I highly recommend it. I'll see if I can whip up a quick demo.

edit:

Basically you just take a photo of your document in the app, and it does a good job of figuring out the edges of the page and performing the appropriate perspective and contrast corrections:

So the end result is a nice, readable document:

Apparently some folks have figured out a way to get OCR by running the PDFs through Google Drive or Google Docs or something like that, but I haven't tried it. There's no native OCR support. For 3 bucks it's extremely convenient, though. The iCloud syncing is quite nice, too. I generally scan on my iPhone 5S for the better camera, and then open the app on my iPad and it's already been synced via iCloud. It also supports uploading to Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, and WebDAV.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 24, 2013

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
Nice, I could use a good scanner app. Thanks for the heads up.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Yeah, Scanner Pro is fantastic. Everyone should buy this.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yep, it's awesome. I got it when I saw it on http://appsanta.co/ and it's definitely worth the money.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scanner Pro is on sale right now for $2.99! It's a phenomenal app even at full price, so if you handle any documents that you want digitized I highly recommend it. I'll see if I can whip up a quick demo.

edit:

Basically you just take a photo of your document in the app, and it does a good job of figuring out the edges of the page and performing the appropriate perspective and contrast corrections:

So the end result is a nice, readable document:

Apparently some folks have figured out a way to get OCR by running the PDFs through Google Drive or Google Docs or something like that, but I haven't tried it. There's no native OCR support. For 3 bucks it's extremely convenient, though. The iCloud syncing is quite nice, too. I generally scan on my iPhone 5S for the better camera, and then open the app on my iPad and it's already been synced via iCloud. It also supports uploading to Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, and WebDAV.

That's pretty cool, I mean I tend to do that manually anyways because I don't often scan documents, but I'm glad someone figured out that having a high resolution camera means that you can at the very least come up with a passable photocopy-looking scanner.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Scanner Pro fans: how do I quickly set document size? I'd like to scan receipts without the app assuming they're all 8.5x11.

I bought the app on rec from this thread when I asked for a scanner with that feature, but the only thing I see is a default doc size down in the settings menu and no way to change it once a photo has been taken.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

MrBond posted:

I'll admit I didn't look at the gameplay too closely but it sure seems like it. Holy hell how is this game so popular/cash generating if it's just a knockoff of a popcap game?

It's more than just a knockoff. There are some good articles on how the developers have basically made a digital drug using psychology.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

eddiewalker posted:

Scanner Pro fans: how do I quickly set document size? I'd like to scan receipts without the app assuming they're all 8.5x11.

I bought the app on rec from this thread when I asked for a scanner with that feature, but the only thing I see is a default doc size down in the settings menu and no way to change it once a photo has been taken.

You set this in the camera mode as you scan. Top middle of the view.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
How does it compare to Genius Scan (which is free)? I'm more than willing to drop the dough if it's significantly better.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
One of the things I use my poo poo Android for most often is PCM recorder. Being able to record a good quality uncompressed WAV and grabbing it via USB is huge for me.

Even if I must pay is there an iOS recording program that won't be bullshit to dump recordings from the phone without needing jailbreak or something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrBond posted:

It's incredibly luck based.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ACID POLICE posted:

One of the things I use my poo poo Android for most often is PCM recorder. Being able to record a good quality uncompressed WAV and grabbing it via USB is huge for me.

Even if I must pay is there an iOS recording program that won't be bullshit to dump recordings from the phone without needing jailbreak or something?

You can email Voice Memos from the apple app, not sure which format they're in though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
They're in m4a, probably compressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hokusai is the best sampler I know of on iOS. It does everything in wav and has dropbox and "open in" functionality.

Not sure if it exposes samples via iTunes but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

• Locked thread