Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
No definitely not. As more people take a critical look at this clusterfuck who knows what private data is silently being sent elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

What about this, has it been confirmed or debunked?

https://twitter.com/hackl0us/status/414835565524422656

Going to be a while before confirmation either way of all the specifics, but it's safe to assume that your information is not secure if you've ran the jailbreak.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

spongeworthy posted:

Going to be a while before confirmation either way of all the specifics, but it's safe to assume that your information is not secure if you've ran the jailbreak.

I haven't, I always wait a while to make sure nothing is broken. I'm just wondering if there's any truth to this because if there is, drat...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I am glad I did not start updating to os7 because of this. Maybe this will get the other JBs out soon, with good results.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Completely new to the iPhone here, I use android. I have an iPhone 5 running i)S 7 and I see you can jailbreak it but not SIM unlock it yet. How about hardware SIM unlocks? I see them all over the place. Not sure how they work.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DarkJC posted:

I find their story so unbelievable. How naive do you have to be to think that there will be no piracy in a Chinese corporate sponsored App Store? How stupid to just assume they're on the up and up (when their process gets full access to the entire system) that you don't even look at what it does before you release? I guess $1,000,000 causes a lot of blind spots.

Their credibility is damaged but I fear it doesn't matter -- if they're the group releasing the only jailbreak then stupid people who don't understand the real consequences of jail breaking and how it undermines the security of the system will use it regardless.

/g/ claims the jailbreakers doing this are barely older than high schoolers so I can imagine some of it might come down to being naieve rather than malicious.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

I haven't, I always wait a while to make sure nothing is broken. I'm just wondering if there's any truth to this because if there is, drat...

Honestly, a lot of these accusations look like fear-mongering to me. The Chinese piracy store is bad enough plus the fact the evad3rs never mentioned any partnership prior to this discovery pretty much destroyed the credibility they built up over the past several years. However, it looks like people are making up stuff about 'evil Chinese/foreign hackers' to scare people even more.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
It'd be hilarious if Samsung were behind this using some Chinese as cutouts.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

IncendiaC posted:

Honestly, a lot of these accusations look like fear-mongering to me. The Chinese piracy store is bad enough plus the fact the evad3rs never mentioned any partnership prior to this discovery pretty much destroyed the credibility they built up over the past several years. However, it looks like people are making up stuff about 'evil Chinese/foreign hackers' to scare people even more.
Yes the possibility of malicious Chinese hackers being involved in paying $1m to access tons of iphone users' data is so far fetched how could anyone believe it? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they just paid $1m to be nice.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there any proof of any damage or malicious activity or is it mostly just heavy suspicion at this point?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
There are zero malware / exploitative properties in this iOS JB. Just rumors that gained traction somehow.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hunter x az posted:

There are zero malware / exploitative properties in this iOS JB. Just rumors that gained traction somehow.

Do you have first-hand knowledge?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Yes I'm jailbroken 7.0.4 on a 5S and have been monitoring network activity. Nothing unusual when doing typical phone tasks.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

You would have to be pretty simple to run this jailbreak at this point.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hunter x az posted:

Yes I'm jailbroken 7.0.4 on a 5S and have been monitoring network activity. Nothing unusual when doing typical phone tasks.

I'm glad you've settled it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you're going to make a claim about some malicious activity happening, the burden of proof is yours.

So far, there's no proof that anything bad is happening.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
If they took a million dollars from a Chinese company they should just go back & recompile a new version with all their "paid" stuff removed and then re-release it. Chinese do it all the time to American companies.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hunter x az posted:

The Chinese jailbreak IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

You're dead, buddy. You just don't realize it yet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

suddenlyissoon posted:

If they took a million dollars from a Chinese company they should just go back & recompile a new version with all their "paid" stuff removed and then re-release it. Chinese do it all the time to American companies.

That would be perfect. So perfect.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

If you're going to make a claim about some malicious activity happening, the burden of proof is yours.

So far, there's no proof that anything bad is happening.
Go right ahead and install that shady poo poo until someone proves something nefarious. No one's stopping you.

Most non idiots will hold out, I'd bet.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

randyest posted:

Go right ahead and install that shady poo poo until someone proves something nefarious. No one's stopping you.

Most non idiots will hold out, I'd bet.

Not sure I understand the urgency, especially when most jb apps/libraries probably need to be updated for ios7 compatibility anyway? Why not wait a few more days to see how it plays out?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hunter x az posted:

Are you monitoring it on your phone, or on your network?

If the former, who's to say it's not hiding what it's doing?

If the latter, how would you know if it's sending anything out over cellular data?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The only thing I use a JB for any more is tethering, I can wait.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For those that need more info, Reddit (I know...) has a very detailed discussion going with twitter posts/screenshots and other going on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tgoce/official_chinese_version_of_evasi0n_comes_bundled/

Turns out a company called '360' is the one that partnered with evasion. 360 is apparently a big security firm over in China much like Norton or McCafe.

The evasion installer communicates with the 360 servers during the initial jailbreak if what the redditors are saying is true.

Will be interesting to see what this develops into. One thing is for sure, I'm loving glad that I didn't update or jailbreak anything. For those of you that did, it may be a good idea to change all your passwords on your computers and iPhones.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just out of curiosity, is the Chinese "app store" included in this jailbreak the one I read about that Chinese people have been using to download apps illegally for free? I remember reading a few months back that there was such an app store in China, and that it was essentially the apple app store with every app for free

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hamburlgar posted:

For those that need more info, Reddit (I know...) has a very detailed discussion going with twitter posts/screenshots and other going on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tgoce/official_chinese_version_of_evasi0n_comes_bundled/

Turns out a company called '360' is the one that partnered with evasion. 360 is apparently a big security firm over in China much like Norton or McCafe.

The evasion installer communicates with the 360 servers during the initial jailbreak if what the redditors are saying is true.

Will be interesting to see what this develops into. One thing is for sure, I'm loving glad that I didn't update or jailbreak anything. For those of you that did, it may be a good idea to change all your passwords on your computers and iPhones.
360 is pretty shady. They got kicked off itunes, and even the Chinese government has issued warnings to them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/06/qihoo_security_world_beater/

wouldn't touch that poo poo with a 10 foot data cable

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

hunter x az posted:

Whew, I was worried for a while there.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

Whew, I was worried for a while there.

No problem. What kind of weird poo poo do you guys have on your phones that you're so concerned about privacy for? :tinfoil:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hunter x az posted:

No problem. What kind of weird poo poo do you guys have on your phones that you're so concerned about privacy for? :tinfoil:
This is a joke, right?

edit: in case not -- email, both personal and work, banking info, credit card info from shopping via phone, contact lists, passwords to tons of websites...

Gotta be a joke.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hunter is a terrible troll that unironically defended Dexter up until the very end, I wouldn't trust anything he says.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

:reddit: link but Saurik doesn't seem too opposed to whether you should use this jailbreak or not.

I've yet to see any proof beyond a single tweet by someone posing as Hackulous of any information being sent out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
There's no evidence that the jailbreak is harmful.

By now, the foremost security experts for iOS have had all day to hack it apart. They've found nothing.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Kazy posted:

someone posing as Hackulous of any information being sent out.

https://twitter.com/i0n1c has some interesting info.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hmmm, what to do.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
This whole debacle really seems overblown to me. I'm not saying it's impossible that this app doesn't do anything shady, but:
a) there's been absolutely no proof so far that the jailbreak does anything malicious, and
b) it would be really easy for the majority of people following jailbreaking news to be trolled by unsubstantiated claims of the jailbreak being malicious, because so far they've taken absolutely every piece of news at face value with pretty much no skepticism. I mean jesus, look at what a shitstorm there is in jailbreaking subreddit right now.

I do hope the jailbreak isn't malicious, and I do understand and appreciate some people's reluctance to install it -- better safe than sorry does make sense. But that said, so far the deal seems to be that this shady Chinese app-store is only installed if your device's language is set to Chinese, otherwise it's just a jailbreak. I'm not going to take part in flagrant speculation based on internet rumors from a community as thoughtlessly reactionary and drama prone as this one.

The only thing I want this jailbreak for is being able to disable the lock screen on an iPhone 4S. So far, the two tweaks I'm aware of for doing that don't work in iOS 7, and I don't know if it's because they only work in earlier versions of iOS or if it's because substrate isn't updated yet. That's what's got me frustrated.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

GuyGizmo posted:

This whole debacle really seems overblown to me. I'm not saying it's impossible that this app doesn't do anything shady, but:
a) there's been absolutely no proof so far that the jailbreak does anything malicious, and
b) it would be really easy for the majority of people following jailbreaking news to be trolled by unsubstantiated claims of the jailbreak being malicious, because so far they've taken absolutely every piece of news at face value with pretty much no skepticism. I mean jesus, look at what a shitstorm there is in jailbreaking subreddit right now.

I do hope the jailbreak isn't malicious, and I do understand and appreciate some people's reluctance to install it -- better safe than sorry does make sense. But that said, so far the deal seems to be that this shady Chinese app-store is only installed if your device's language is set to Chinese, otherwise it's just a jailbreak. I'm not going to take part in flagrant speculation based on internet rumors from a community as thoughtlessly reactionary and drama prone as this one.

The only thing I want this jailbreak for is being able to disable the lock screen on an iPhone 4S. So far, the two tweaks I'm aware of for doing that don't work in iOS 7, and I don't know if it's because they only work in earlier versions of iOS or if it's because substrate isn't updated yet. That's what's got me frustrated.

This makes me want to jailbreak now.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

This makes me want to jailbreak now.

If you've (and everyone else) waited this long for a jailbreak it's not going to hurt to wait a few more days until the dust settles. Not a great deal of tweaks are going to be iOS 7 compatible out of the gate anyhow.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
I have CONFIRMED PROOF that this jailbreak turns your phone into a HFA HACKING NODE that CAN connect to AND take over ANY computer within twenty yards!

This proof is REAL and CONFIRMED IN THE WILD! I CANNOT post it here because doing so would reveal TRUSTED SOURCES to a DEFINED ENEMY!!

(*) High Frequency Audio hacking is CONFIRMED PROVEN to be REAL and a DEFINED THREAT!

UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT INFORMATION is ENCOURAGED!!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

If you've (and everyone else) waited this long for a jailbreak it's not going to hurt to wait a few more days until the dust settles. Not a great deal of tweaks are going to be iOS 7 compatible out of the gate anyhow.

This is also true. How does the signing thing work? Will I be able to just upgrade to 7.0 when the jailbreak is good or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

GuyGizmo posted:

Yeah just set your locale to the right language and it totally wont install the super shady, completely unannounced and unvetted pirated app store. Just because this jailbreak is bundled with obfuscated code written by literal criminals who paid a massive amount of money to have their mysterious poo poo included doesn't mean you shouldn't trust it or anything. You paranoid goons have it all wrong.

• Locked thread