Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grand Fromage posted:

Virtual particles. :argh:

I assume the change into two particles then the annihilation are the same amount of energy and balance out? Otherwise 10% of your mass constantly annihilating seems like you'd notice.

The energy all balances out, yep.

In fact, things balance out so well (net charge remains the same, as the particles have equal and opposite charge, so EM doesn't care. Not enough energy to do anything with the weak force, so that doesn't care. Amount of energy is the same, so gravity doesn't care. Strong force does care, but only to annihilate them again...) that the only way you can see all this poo poo happening inside the particle is to fire electrons at them really really really fast in a process called Deep Inelastic Scattering.

To the rest of the universe the proton may as well be three happy little quarks just sitting there, unless you manage to get inside you really can't tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That's actually kind of cool. Thanks for that technobabble.

My own uncertainty experience comes from spectroscopy. Shorter the excitation pulse, greater the bandwidth (wider range of wavelengths in the pulse). Turned out to be useful since we wanted to excite a bunch of transitions instead of just one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool, I have learned something today.

I think QM is my favorite area of science because it's so loving bizarre, it's totally understandable why even Einstein had his "gently caress this poo poo" attitude, but unlike some of the other bizarre hypotheses out there it's a demonstrably true theory.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

QM is arguably the most understood thing in human history. There's one number (to do with how the EM force works) that we can predict with a precision of knowing the distance between me and the moon to less than an inch.

In other news, McLaren (the sports car manufacturer) are developing a system similar to one used on some jet aircraft in order to replace your windscreen wipers. It vibrates the top layer of the windscreen at some resonant frequency, making water, snow, insects, whatever just bounce off the edge. A force field for your car!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

QM is arguably the most understood thing in human history. There's one number (to do with how the EM force works) that we can predict with a precision of knowing the distance between me and the moon to less than an inch.

That's why I love it. Most of it makes little to no intuitive sense but every time you turn on a computer, it reminds you that it's the way the universe works.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In other news, McLaren (the sports car manufacturer) are developing a system similar to one used on some jet aircraft in order to replace your windscreen wipers. It vibrates the top layer of the windscreen at some resonant frequency, making water, snow, insects, whatever just bounce off the edge. A force field for your car!

You mean a deflector for your car, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Windshield wipers stink, and thankfully, at long last, the technology is being improved upon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

The bridge is out! We need to pass an anti-polarised hyperwave beam through the windscreen!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's more like hull plating.

The percentages refer to the layer that is being harmonically vibrated :techno:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Amazingly, this can also happen when the gluon doesn't have enough energy to do this(!!!) if the particle is short lived, due to the uncertainty principle! (small uncertainty in time due to short lifespan = big uncertainty in energy)

Quantum Physics is really strange in ways you don't really anticipate.

:psyduck: :wtc:

Seriously, Quantum Physics is completely bonkers. I'm glad I went into atmospheric science, because that poo poo is bananas.

--But very interesting! Thanks for that thoroughly enlightening post!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Grand Fromage posted:

If you don't read physics books for fun you are without honor. :colbert:

Loving the particle physics talk. Star Trek thread has the best derails.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
All this physics talk just reminds me of why I chose an Engineering major instead of Physics.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Let's dumb this thread back down a bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

All this physics talk just reminds me of why I chose an Engineering major instead of Physics.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the warp core :colbert:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Vagabundo posted:

Careful what you wish for, Conquistador might come back.

Today on "It Came From TAS"

"The Infinite Vulcan"

I really need to watch TAS. It's the only series I haven't seen.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Science talk is cool but unfortunately you're all in the wrong thread, Star Trek has not ever been nor will it ever be about science.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

It's more like hull plating.

The percentages refer to the layer that is being harmonically vibrated :techno:

There's a hail storm coming Billy. Better polarize the windshield.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

1st AD posted:

Science talk is cool but unfortunately you're all in the wrong thread, Star Trek has not ever been nor will it ever be about science.

Star Trek isn't, but Star Trek fans are all about that poo poo. Were I at home I could check my Enterprise D technical manual, I'm pretty sure that's in there.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 22, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vagabundo posted:

The omega particles... they're self-stabilizing! :suicide:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This was a thing in an Arthur C. Clarke novel though, the one about the Titanic and Mandelbrot patterns.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can any of these gluons turn in to warp particles?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can any of these gluons turn in to warp particles?

Don't be silly, it's Z0 bosons that turn into warp particles

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress THAT poo poo

we don't understand it at all, but we can beam some aboard.... how do transporters work again? Oh, and the Borg suddenly have a collective nanoboner for perfection in particle form

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
O'Brien must suffer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trent posted:

we don't understand it at all, but we can beam some aboard.... how do transporters work again?

Look, on DS9 they once beamed a universe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

1st AD posted:

O'Brien must suffer

End O'Brien's suffrage now!

Nice chiefs don't want the vote.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:smith:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Beats the hell out of mind prison.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's more if you click through. It gets pretty dark at the end.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

hailthefish posted:

There's more if you click through. It gets pretty dark at the end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus :stare:

Well, good thing he ended up on DS9 where he never wants for people bugging him to do and fix mundane poo poo :buddy:

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I would love that.

Most people talk to her at Ten Forward, because she's constantly there knocking back beers and shots of whiskey. The drunker she is, the better her empathic abilities, but also the more likely she is to just tell it like she sees it. Around a burning cigarette, she slurs out that obviously, Ensign, you're a homosexual and you need to suck a dick on the holodeck and see where you go from there, it's no sense hiding it god I need a loving chocolate mousse GUINAN

"This appears to be a combination of several holodeck programs."

Pan shot: Inside the Orient Express, a medieval knight struggles to remain standing, a gunslinger helps a flapper put a puzzle together, ensign Steve "services" a long line of Klingon warriors.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why have a transporter room if you can transport anywhere?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

redshirt posted:

It was made specifically for O'Brien.

To suffer.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

redshirt posted:

They've got you beat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They do!

This is something called "pair production". Some exchange particle (ie a photon or a gluon or whatnot) has enough energy to turn into two actual particles (through E=mc2, there's a probability that it can turn into a particle and its antiparticle (the same reaction as the two annihilating eachother, but in reverse).

Amazingly, this can also happen when the gluon doesn't have enough energy to do this(!!!) if the particle is short lived, due to the uncertainty principle! (small uncertainty in time due to short lifespan = big uncertainty in energy)

So what's happening inside the proton is that a gluon is bobbing along with some energy, it turns into an antiparticle/particle pair with the same total energy as the original gluon and then they recombine back into a gluon with the original energy. The Feynman diagram for that is below (dodgily drawn in ms paint):

This is going on all the time, so while there's a load of antiquarks at any one time they will all be annihilated within a fraction of a second, and a load of new ones will have turned up instead.

Also, a gluon can only turn into quarks and not things like electrons because gluons carry colour and that colour has to go somewhere (electrons don't carry colour, but quarks do). Colour being another charge like + or - electrical charge, but there's 6 kinds - red, green, blue, antired, antigreen, antiblue.

Quantum Physics is really strange in ways you don't really anticipate.

[edit]

Pair production is also involved in the coolest thing I've heard of from astrophysics, a pair instability supernova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_instability_supernova

Yep, that's a star going from 250 solar masses to nothing left behind in a few seconds.

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You soured the milk, laddie!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

The machine itself has to be somewhere, and maybe using the pads for embarking/disembarking became a kind of naval tradition; even if the technology made it obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Transporting site-to-site takes at least double the power, per the TNG Tech Manual. It also limits the capacity of the system and is more prone to errors.

• Locked thread