Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Smoremaster posted:

Looks like tree planting may be in the next version:

Between this and the "warp to home" button I just want this patch out now. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I don't usually go all "my immersion!!!" but the "warp to home" button seems a bit off. How do you fluff-justify being able to warp to your one home planet for free but every other planet costs up to 200 fuel?

If they change it to towing a planet or at least small moon to your spaceship and lugging it around as you explore space, I'd be totally on board though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was anyone able to download this?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/stephen-j-fry-jacket.255/

The link has been broken for a week, but it's an attachment on their own site.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vanadium posted:

I don't usually go all "my immersion!!!" but the "warp to home" button seems a bit off. How do you fluff-justify being able to warp to your one home planet for free but every other planet costs up to 200 fuel?

If they change it to towing a planet or at least small moon to your spaceship and lugging it around as you explore space, I'd be totally on board though.

There's nothing gameplay-wise but you probably could just rationalize it as saying your character has a teleport beacon with an especially strong signal that tunes only to your personal ship's specific frequency, but you've only got one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

My hope is that eventually setting a home planet will mean placing some sort of teleport pad on the surface (the first one free, of course.)

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.
Copy taken!

krazysigmarite fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 22, 2013

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Iny posted:

Basically never. Guns are entirely terrible in all respects.

Oh man seriously? Jumping and diving around with pistols, chainguns, and shotguns like some sort of John Woo With A Pickaxe in Terraria was my favorite thing ever, I was hoping that since Starbound is more sci-fi there would be more emphasis on guns.

Well hopefully more gun stuff gets devved in later. Or I'll follow that gun mod.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There is a decent emphasis on guns, I don't think they suck on purpose right now, but they definitely do suck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh man seriously? Jumping and diving around with pistols, chainguns, and shotguns like some sort of John Woo With A Pickaxe in Terraria was my favorite thing ever, I was hoping that since Starbound is more sci-fi there would be more emphasis on guns.

Well hopefully more gun stuff gets devved in later. Or I'll follow that gun mod.

I think the biggest problem with guns is that they use energy, so they're really more like bows with a different pause cycle.

Side note: did you know that the Molten Core can be blown up by those little penguin guys? :argh:

e: Is there a faster way to make pixels besides killing monsters and digging for chests?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: Is there a faster way to make pixels besides killing monsters and digging for chests?

There's an ore processor thing that converts unsmelted ore to pixels. It's pretty neat!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Dig for ore and convert it to pixels. I think you get the ability to do this in Tier 3.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

TerminusEst13 posted:

There's an ore processor thing that converts unsmelted ore to pixels. It's pretty neat!

just to note you can also smelt bars for double the amount too :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's called the refinery and yeah it basically rules.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Totally appreciate the fact that it's still in beta, but my biggest let-down at this point is how mundane so many of the usable items are. My expectations were of a bunch of neat futuristic weapons, trinkets, and gadgets, but what is mostly there are just various tiers of melee weapons and body armor. Going from the matter manipulator to pickaxes and axes has been mentioned before as sort of underwhelming, but that's just another example. Game needs more future tech that you actually interact with, not just stuff like flickering background wall monitors that are just there for ambiance. Even starting me off as a new character with a 1 damage laser pistol rather than a broken sword would make me feel more like I just beamed down from a spaceship.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TerminusEst13 posted:

Pretty sure it converts smelted ore too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TehKeen posted:

just to note you can also smelt bars for double the amount too :)

When does this stop being a waste of time, by the way? I've never been past tier three.

I mean waste of time like, sure you can refine a copper bar for double the amount, but it took you two ore to make the bar, so...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

When does this stop being a waste of time, by the way? I've never been past tier three.

I mean waste of time like, sure you can refine a copper bar for double the amount, but it took you two ore to make the bar, so...
I'm pretty sure it's so that if you realize you want to get a bunch more pixels, but only have bars because you smelted all your ore, you can still refine them and make just as much money.
e: except with diamonds of course but I'm sure that'll be fixed.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 22, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Network Pesci posted:

Dig for ore and convert it to pixels. I think you get the ability to do this in Tier 3.

Tier 2, but that doesn't do me a lot of good if I don't have the pixels to make the Metalwork Station.

e: Holy balls, 450 pixels for the starmap? Is that a joke?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 22, 2013

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kersch posted:

Totally appreciate the fact that it's still in beta, but my biggest let-down at this point is how mundane so many of the usable items are. My expectations were of a bunch of neat futuristic weapons, trinkets, and gadgets, but what is mostly there are just various tiers of melee weapons and body armor. Going from the matter manipulator to pickaxes and axes has been mentioned before as sort of underwhelming, but that's just another example. Game needs more future tech that you actually interact with, not just stuff like flickering background wall monitors that are just there for ambiance. Even starting me off as a new character with a 1 damage laser pistol rather than a broken sword would make me feel more like I just beamed down from a spaceship.

Yeah, it's really awkward. Like, I totally get that Starbound is going for more of a retro-animu-sci-fantasy feel, and I super dig that, but right now it doesn't feel like you really ever get to the 'sci' part of that.

What I'm saying is the game needs a bit more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's a pretty good idea, actually. Mantizi starting gear might be a weaksauce pistol and a weaksauce 1h sword instead of a 2h, now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TerminusEst13 posted:

And since that's one of the best ways to get money, ore kinda obviates the need for the pixel processor. If you keep your cash in the form of gold bullion, you don't have to suffer that 40% decompression fee.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yeah, it's really awkward. Like, I totally get that Starbound is going for more of a retro-animu-sci-fantasy feel, and I super dig that, but right now it doesn't feel like you really ever get to the 'sci' part of that.

Well, yeah, you start with basic tools, and you have to work your way up. You may be surprised to learn that you can't build a laser with medieval crafting tools. As you get access to higher-tier technology, like the robotic crafting table, you start to be able to craft more advanced tech like like drilling machines and wiring tools and titanium doors. There are already some assets in the game for a "mining laser" but it's not buildable yet. Only the first few tech levels are in the game right now.

And if we're also including things you can find, there are laser guns and giant robots and plasma grenades and poo poo.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 22, 2013

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Go to dungeons, clear them out. Dungeon enemies drop way more pixels than normal ones for whatever reason.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Currently the monster capture stuff is pretty pointless right?

Only small creatures, so not the larger walking ones which look cooler or anything.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

That's a pretty good idea, actually. Mantizi starting gear might be a weaksauce pistol and a weaksauce 1h sword instead of a 2h, now.

I like the idea of "into the wilderness with matter manipulator and laser pistol in hand," personally. I never found a single gun until after I'd already found the butterfly boost and now I will never use one, because anything that diverts energy from butterfly farts is unwelcome at best.

Honestly I'd even prefer terraria's ammo system to this weird multipurpose energy pool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This is a good start for a great game but it definitely suffers a bit from :flaccid:

That said, I'm glad I was able to play the beta with my friends. We're holding off for the most part until the inevitable patch that'll drop content into the game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ernie Muppari posted:

What I'm saying is the game needs a bit more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

That movie looks Italian as gently caress. I'd love there to be more pulp sci-fi stuff mixed in.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I also wish guns just used ammo. There could be different ammo types with different effects.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

omeg posted:

I also wish guns just used ammo. There could be different ammo types with different effects.

Bullet guns that hit harder but require ammo vs. lasers that take energy but do less damage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mokinokaro posted:

Bullet guns that hit harder but require ammo vs. lasers that take energy but do less damage.

I'd be up for that. I remember how big a part tooling up for a boss was in Terraria, just buying thousands of arrows/bullets at a time. I'd give me something to do with all the copper I end up with too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

I kind of prefer the regenerating ammo thing and not having to manage ammunition. It just needs to be balanced a whole lot better and feel a lot more fun than it is right now.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I'd be up for that. I remember how big a part tooling up for a boss was in Terraria, just buying thousands of arrows/bullets at a time. I'd give me something to do with all the copper I end up with too.

Ughh, I really hope not.

Making sure you have ammo is another tedious limit, like it was in terraria.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I kind of prefer the regenerating ammo thing and not having to manage ammunition. It just needs to be balanced a whole lot better and feel a lot more fun than it is right now.

Then maybe craftable items to help with energy use? So you might pick up a hard hitting gun that also takes a ton of energy, but be able to mitigate that through crafting?

Or heck, maybe even gun mods?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mokinokaro posted:

Then maybe craftable items to help with energy use? So you might pick up a hard hitting gun that also takes a ton of energy, but be able to mitigate that through crafting?

Or heck, maybe even gun mods?

Gun mods with durability might actually be a pretty good middle ground.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Is there anywhere that has a general roadmap of how the tech tiers advance?

I made the beacon and got to tier 2 thru the ingame missions, but I guess thats as far as ingame missions have been implemented because now its just nothing.

Im assuming I need to make a robot because thats the only thing craftable I havent made yet, but I cant figure out how I get a superior brain, I just have dozens of inferior brains.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Hi posted:

Is there anywhere that has a general roadmap of how the tech tiers advance?

I made the beacon and got to tier 2 thru the ingame missions, but I guess thats as far as ingame missions have been implemented because now its just nothing.

Im assuming I need to make a robot because thats the only thing craftable I havent made yet, but I cant figure out how I get a superior brain, I just have dozens of inferior brains.

You get the superior brain the same way you get the inferior ones, just add luck!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Geokinesis posted:

Ughh, I really hope not.

Making sure you have ammo is another tedious limit, like it was in terraria.

You really need something to balance ranged weapons against melee weapons in a game that wants to use both. The way it was implemented in Terraria wasn't great, but I'd be all for adding some kind of ammo to Starbound. Then we could actually have guns that are fun to use and superior to melee weapons without invalidating melee weapons completely. Hell, maybe even have ranged weapons automatically deduct from your pixel count instead of using a separate ammo item. Say your matter manipulator automatically generates ammo on demand or something. This way ranged weapons still incur a resource cost without actually requiring any management.

Edit- I actually wish pixels were used as a currency like this more in general, instead of just being another thing you have to spend on top of all the other things. Like, give me the option to just fabricate some ore with pixels. Make the cost really high so that it's still preferable to go out and explore and mine, but at least give me the option to turn a metric fuckton of common poo poo into one piece of really good ore or something.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 22, 2013

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Starbound - Keep murdering until you get a better brain

On that note.
People who keep posting only X:Y coordinates in this thread:
Stop doing that. You're not posting the full coordinates. Everyone won't be able to figure out where the hell your planet is. If you're going to post coordinates add in the system name as well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

One thing I would like, which would help a bit with the bow being so lovely, is a subset of monsters that are just, like, critters. This would be easier once monster parts start getting their own stats and abilities.

What I mean is, say, you have a "Deer" kind of monster, which is the new Critter, and a "Dragon" kind of monster, which is the old types. Deer would be faster and skittish, but they wouldn't attack you in most circumstances (unless you got too close to their little family unit or whatever if there's more than one) and they'd have low damage and really low health, but that's what you'd get basic meat and basic leather from. Dragon would, instead of giving you the base materials, give you Special Leather and Special Meat. Or other drops.

Basically I want this to happen so I can boost over to a higher level planet (once the new Space Map hits, if it ever does) and be Mountain Man, hunting and laying traps for Deer while avoiding Dragons, survival style.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

XboxPants posted:

And if we're also including things you can find, there are laser guns and giant robots and plasma grenades and poo poo.
Unfortunately, them not being craftable means you don't have guaranteed okay guns, just random chance of dropping guns that are usually lovely. I really don't get why we can't craft guns, hoping it's planned at some point.

Also I think the bow is lovely to incentivize you to move away from cooked meat to better sources of food, ie farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If I were to upload my mod somewhere that isn't the Starbound forums, where would you guys recommend it? I might share it in a bit when I finish tidying up the codexes.

I usually use Dropbox for this sort of thing but I don't know how much traffic I could get to this link.

• Locked thread