Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I down my pint at the club pub and vote

3) Increase the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
(Assertively) That's a serious uptick in the amount of money that we're spending, I expect to see commensurate results. Increase the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k)

Loggie
Apr 29, 2009
We need to basically rebuild the team from scratch at the end of the year due to loaners. The only viable solution is to Increase the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
:catholic: These boys are not young enough, what is the going rate on younger boys? Take that. :pedo:

You started this line of joking.

Edit: But serious, I don't wanna stretch our budget too thin, so I'm only going with the 50k option.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(Assertively) I'll back you on increasing both the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k). I believe the increased funding if we get a promotion will be worth the expenditures right now. Then, we can improve the youth facilities and everything else.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Is there a possible 50k/3k option? Also make sure you pay off all loans etc immediately.

kag3man3
Jan 25, 2004

Increase transfer budget by 100k!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Current Voting
No Increase: 3
50k Increase: 4
100k Increase: 8

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Keep it safe, go with 50,000 increase

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I say Increase by $50,000

We've got some dough, and you gotta spend money to make money!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Decrease by 50,000. This is a goon LP and he hasn't been saddled with a playing field littered with bricks and hubcaps and as far as I know all the players have all their limbs and that's all your faults. The board needs to start acting like actual sports owners and milk this team for everything it's worth and then some.

BTW, it's time to threaten to move unless the community buys us a new stadium and let's us keep all the profits, and pays us for being there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Increase of 100k it is.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Goddamnit guys. What kind of board are we? Giving money to a new coach for some stupid reason like "all our good players aren't actually ours". How are we supposed to line our pockets when we blow all our money on stupid poo poo like this? Get it together lads.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Goddamnit guys. What kind of board are we? Giving money to a new coach for some stupid reason like "all our good players aren't actually ours". How are we supposed to line our pockets when we blow all our money on stupid poo poo like this? Get it together lads.

Its a fan owned trust, we are unable to get at the assets or cash on hand in any way, except as a honarium at board meetings.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

We must get better players. When we do, we win more. When we win more, we get more money. (How you think Steinbrenner and the Yankees are some wealthy?)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

KDavisJr posted:

We must get better players. When we do, we win more. When we win more, we get more money. (How you think Steinbrenner and the Yankees are some wealthy?)

So you're saying we need to get contract with Satan?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bunnyofdoom posted:

Now, now, I don't think Roman Abramovich would be willing to finance another British club. We already got rid of one multi-millionaire Russian sugar-daddy too.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Its a fan owned trust, we are unable to get at the assets or cash on hand in any way, except as a honarium at board meetings.

Good sir, that has never stopped embezzlement before, and it drat won't stop me here.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

KDavisJr posted:

(How you think Steinbrenner and the Yankees are some wealthy?)

By being the most popular team in the largest city in the world, which includes vast profits from merchandising and team-owned television revenues, among other unique streams other teams don't have.

Move the team to London and establish our own network and demand that the BBC pay us per every subscriber.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I put forward that we sign this Satan fellow who will give us more money for alcohol and drugs.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or Fernando Ronaldo. Whoever's available :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TheFlyingLlama posted:

(Calmly) We're playing a long game. Why embezzle from a tin-pot nonleague outfit when we can spend a few years fattening it up, sending it through the divisions up to the promised land of hilk and money, and then embezzle the gently caress out its soulless, multibillion pound corporate husk, selling the pitiful remainder to some clueless dodgy chancer or foreign oligarch who wants to move it halfway across the country, change its name and recolour the kit?

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
(Passionately) Rebranding to the Wrexham Bluebirds will make us more marketable abroad, we should start this process immediately.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arquebus posted:

(Passionately) Rebranding to the Wrexham Bluebirds will make us more marketable abroad, we should start this process immediately.

(Assertively) gently caress off, Red Dragons are awesome.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Eighth: A rough trail roughly traveled.
November 29, 2014-December 31, 2014

Oooh, prize money!

Our victory is seen as a surprise by the media, which irritates me. We deserved to win that game, and we certainly weren't “dominated.”

The Cannon is out for two weeks, which means we won't have our best striker available for our next three games.

This is the best possible draw we could have gotten. Gate receipts are split 50/50 between home and away teams for the first three rounds of the FA Cup. Season ticket holders do not get tickets to FA Cup matches, so everyone pays for a ticket on FA Cup match days. Old Trafford holds over 75,000 people, and the average ticket price is 40 pounds. That means gate receipts are likely to be somewhere around two or three million pounds, of which we'll get a 50/50 split. I'd let Man U slaughter Nic Bull in a pagan ritual to restore Sir Alex Ferguson's health for as much money as we're going to get. I certainly don't expect a win, but then our fans and board won't either, so this is a no lose scenario barring the aforementioned human sacrifice.

At Tamworth, December 2, 2014
Skrill Premier

This was a hard fought battle, and one where bottom half side Tamworth caught us napping. Danny Hopkins was excellent filling in for the injured Cannon, scoring both of our goals. But we can't keep things tight at the back, letting Tamworth score twice in the first and then again five minutes into the second. As time slips away I resign myself to my first loss as a Wrexham coach.

Tamworth 3-2 Wrexham

At Luton Town, December 6, 2014
Skrill Premier

We get no luck in this game, while fellow promotion contenders Luton Town catch all the breaks. They are clinical in front of the goal, while we're wasteful with our shots, and we're now actively giving back the hard fought points we'd gained on the promotion race. Part of the problem is that we're vulnerable to good counter-attacking teams, as our left backs are not very good at defense and our centerbacks need to play carefully to not allow the other side easy runs at goal. At the same time, we're offsides way too much as our players don't yet have the skill and mental composure to time their runs quite right.

Luton 4-1 Wrexham

We have a press conference after the Luton match, where I make my disappointment known. I don't do this often as it can make the team unhappy at my lack of support, but when they've been this bad they'll know some stiff medicine is coming.

At least our young players are developing well. Baker has been our first team right winger, while Simpson gets the lion's share of our defensive midfielder playing time.

At Colwyn Bay, December 13, 2014
FA Trophy, 2nd Round

Colwyn Bay is a fellow Welsh team that makes it's home on the northern coast of Wales. Together with Wrexham, Swansea, Cardiff City, Newport Town, and Merthyr Town, Colwyn Bay comprises the sum total of Welsh teams playing in the English Football Association. They're also the only team other than Wrexham to play in North Wales, so this is essentially the battle for Northern Welsh supremacy. Which is fine by me since we assert our dominance against Colwyn on a chilly, gusty day before 760 hardy supporters.

Colwyn Bay 1-3 Wrexham

vs. FC Halifax, December 16, 2014
Skrill Premier

We're down by two at halftime despite having arguably played better than Halifax. Damian King knocks in two of our own to equalize by the 66th minute, but despite pressing hard for the winner in the waning moments of the match we're unable to grab the three points. In our last three league matches we've gotten just one point, and we've fallen from 9th place back to 13th.

Wrexham 2-2 FC Halifax

You realize you're still not going to get any playing time, right?

At Braintree, December 26, 2014
Skrill Premier

This isn't a “must win,” but it comes close. Braintree is a top of the table side, and we need to be winning these types of away matches if we're going to have any hope of promotion this year. So I'm pleased when we frustrate them on our way to a victory in a very evenly matched game. Now instead of only one point in our last three fixtures, I can cherry pick the data to say that we've gotten four points against two top half clubs.

Braintree 0-1 Wrexham

The victory comes at some cost, however, as our best central midfielder is now out for the next two months with a fractured wrist. Can't he just get a cast? An amputation? It's football, not handball!

We have the majority of our contracts running out in June, and once we're into January our players can be signed away on pre-contracts that will begin next season by foreign teams. I definitely want to keep our best prospective talents, and negotiate contract extensions with Hopkins, O'Hanlon, Bull, and Nsangou. I'm going to wait and see on players like the just injured Bailey, the Cannon, our captain Alan Tierney, and Darrian King as they're already near their maximum potential and if we can force our way into the promotion race might not be worth keeping next year.

On the other hand, none of these kids are staying. I'd have released them all, but that would cost 5k.

I also order the Director of Football to try and offload our useless players. We have wage budget room, but not having to pay these guys would be good for our finances.

Oh, hey, it's just like how we ended last year. Maybe we can make this a tradition, get the ultras to break onto the ground the night before the match and turn on the watering system.

We had a minor hiccup, but appear to be back on track. Our next match is against Manchester United on January 3rd, and while I'm not going to even think about an upset I would like to put up a respectable performance. We've also got to do our new years shopping, at the very least we're going to want another centerback, preferably with some pace, a left back who can actually mark and tackle, and a creative (or rather, creative for our level) midfielder. I'll also be raiding our parent team, Norwich City, for some loan players.

(Note, that table is actually from January 10th, I forgot to take the screenshot at the end of the year. We played one more game in the league since then.)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 24, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
A typo there on the Braintree game, reading them as the winners.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sorry, fixed.

Triamcinolone
Oct 18, 2009
Please don't get rid of James Joyce. I mean, he's James Joyce.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Triamcinolone posted:

I'll consider it, but you'll have to explain why he's a human after writing Finnegan's Wake. That poo poo was written for aliens. Do love me some Dubliners.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Triamcinolone posted:

In that same vein, don't get rid of Justin Bailey; he's a cheat code.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll consider it, but you'll have to explain why he's a human after writing Finnegan's Wake. That poo poo was written for aliens. Do love me some Dubliners.

I can give you an excellent reason to get rid of him.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Those sound like excellent reasons to kick him up to the Premier League.

Loggie
Apr 29, 2009
habeasdorkus would you mind posting a link to your FM 2012 lets play? I just got caught up on this one and I would like to read the other one.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
First of all, I know nothing about soccer(football, sorry), but this LP is very informative, and even though I can't keep up with the more technical bits of the game, I'm enjoying this so very much.

Second of all, I just saw that there is a 50% sale on Steam, and I'm debating whether or not I should get it.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Llab posted:

First of all, I know nothing about soccer(football, sorry), but this LP is very informative, and even though I can't keep up with the more technical bits of the game, I'm enjoying this so very much.

Second of all, I just saw that there is a 50% sale on Steam, and I'm debating whether or not I should get it.

I'm trying to resist pulling the trigger on it. I've put thousands of hours into saves in FM11 & 12. Debating whether or not 14 is a big enough upgrade from them to really warrant a purchase.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Loggie posted:

habeasdorkus would you mind posting a link to your FM 2012 lets play? I just got caught up on this one and I would like to read the other one.

This is my first Let's Play but the FM Let's Play I mentioned previously was by Brian Phillips, a feature writer for Grantland. It's right here, and it's much better than mine. If I can get to even 50% the awesomeness of his Vercelli series I'm going to be very pleased with myself. Of course, he's a professional writer, which gives him an advantage. The recipies his wife makes to celebrate promotions and big events are also fantastic, the brasato di manzo al vino rosso is both simple as heck and friggin fantastic.

rizzen posted:

I'm trying to resist pulling the trigger on it. I've put thousands of hours into saves in FM11 & 12. Debating whether or not 14 is a big enough upgrade from them to really warrant a purchase.

I'd say so. It's a fairly large upgrade in 12, and there's enough improvements that I think most people will view it as worthwhile at 50% off.

Llab posted:

First of all, I know nothing about soccer(football, sorry), but this LP is very informative, and even though I can't keep up with the more technical bits of the game, I'm enjoying this so very much

I learned a ton about the technical aspects of soccer from FM. Prior to playing FM12 in 2011 I didn't know a whole lot about the sport and mainly only paid close attention during the World Cup. FM really helped me understand the game a lot better, just like Madden has helped players understand football better. If you want to get into the sport more I highly recommend picking up a copy.

Also, if you're American, just call it soccer. It's not our fault the rest of the world stubbornly resists our naming conventions :)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 25, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just a heads up, if anyone was thinking of picking this game up it's on sale on Steam for half-off for the next 36 hours or so.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Vote for the £50,000 increase in transfer budget. Need to save something for youth development and coached and so forth.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yay Boxing Day! I've been nursing my hangover with soccer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, as an American I knew practically nothing about soccer before the 2010 World Cup, where I made an effort to watch as many matches as I could. I started delving into it, and became pretty fascinated with the connectivity of the whole system- the only sporting system we have in America that comes close is college athletics. But in soccer, in theory, a team of nobodies from the lower reaches of England could, in theory, win the FA Cup and match up against the best of Europe, and eventually work their way up to the Premier League and fight for the Champions League. America has no such system, not even in our own soccer system (I've read this is an unfortunate necessity of the franchise system and just the way sports works).

So pretty much I just find it incredible that a group of people could found a club at the bottom of the soccer world, and they're in the exact same system as teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United. If they earned it they'd be able to reach the highest of the highs, and that's pretty cool.

It's what I love about FM, taking a team (my recent favorite is Blyth, but due to them getting demoted out of Conference North a few years ago I think with this game I'll take a created team), worrying about which crappy player will step up, and a few months later I'm fighting for Champions League contention and winning the FA and League Cups- all with the same team.

• Locked thread