Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a thriller, disaster or monster-of-the-week movie that can hold my interest. Fishing around blind, most movies I try end up feeling pointless or boring right away. Then there are the rare few that look good and promise a good last act, but blow it and end up being annoying bullshit.

Overall quality isn't a big concern (poor acting/effects won't hurt the movie in my mind), but story and presentation are king.

VVV Excellent, I'll check those out, thanks!
E2: The Signal was great

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a thriller, disaster or monster-of-the-week movie that can hold my interest. Fishing around blind, most movies I try end up feeling pointless or boring right away. Then there are the rare few that look good and promise a good last act, but blow it and end up being annoying bullshit.

Overall quality isn't a big concern (poor acting/effects won't hurt the movie in my mind), but story and presentation are king.

The Conversation, The Yellow Sea, The Host, Pontypool, The Signal, Troll Hunter and....Konga Thrillers, Monsters, Disaster movies. Uncommon choices. Oh and Konga.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The Yellow Srea is possibly the tensest movie I've ever seen. So good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Evilreaver posted:

For a thriller/disaster movie you might look into The Andromeda Strain. And it isn't on Netflix, but The Mist (2007) would probably be right up your alley.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Anonymous Robot posted:

For a thriller/disaster movie you might look into The Andromeda Strain. And it isn't on Netflix, but The Mist (2007) would probably be right up your alley.

Andromeda was ok, but The Mist was fantastic!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

The Host (Korean not the twilight movie).

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Chichevache posted:

The Yellow Sea is possibly the tensest movie I've ever seen. So good.

I definitely liked it a lot but I liked The Chaser (also on Netflix and by the same director and with some of the same actors but in wildly different roles) even more.

Both very good thrillers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Palooka posted:

I definitely liked it a lot but I liked The Chaser (also on Netflix and by the same director and with some of the same actors but in wildly different roles) even more.

Both very good thrillers.

Both terrible choices however if your sitting around the fireplace with your folks this season.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I just watched Christmas Vacation with my dad, as part of our yearly Christmas tradition, and it's got me in a Christmas spirit. I'd like to keep in the spirit, and have some holiday fun.

Are there any other good Christmas or Holiday movies on Netflix that I should watch? I'm planning on watching Rare Exports later tonight, and probably Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, so I'm open to anything festive.

There is a movie simply called, "Santa Claus" on Netflix. This movie is so bizarre you're sure to be entertained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3cfQ2oOQc

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChineseConnection posted:

There is a movie simply called, "Santa Claus" on Netflix. This movie is so bizarre you're sure to be entertained.

I thought they had the MST3K version of it on Netflix...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ChineseConnection posted:

Perhaps it's because I grew up with a lot of bizarre Mexican movies (A movie about a luchador transforming in to a werewolf in the middle of a fight against our luchador hero, mummies against a little child,etc,etc)that I don't seen anything weird in it :allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Both terrible choices however if your sitting around the fireplace with your folks this season.

You can apply to this to basically almost all of the great Korean dramas/thrillers.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Guys, Fireplace for your home season 1 is up. I don't want to spoil it, just go in blind.

What a masterpiece.

A few pages back, but a few of the reviews are pretty funny:

quote:

I found the performances to be rather wooden. But there was no denying the heat between the characters. There's no doubt a certain audience will love this, some people just want to watch the world burn.

quote:

WTF NETFLIX WHERE IS EPISODE 3?!! why do you guys always pull this crap just get the rights to the whole series agghhh.

:haw:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chocolate is back up on streaming, I seem to remember it was gone for a while. I'm not into martial arts movies that much but this one was pretty impressive, tons of real world stunts and all out fight scenes without shaky cam or choppy editing. The story sounds ridiculous but is actually better than the description reads, and like a lot of martial arts movies, it's all about the action scenes anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spalec posted:

A few pages back, but a few of the reviews are pretty funny:

:haw:

Posted in the other Netflix thread, but I laughed heartily at this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcyfa7SXQb0

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Junkie Disease posted:

... The Yellow Sea and The Chaser ...

True, my dad thought both sounded terrible and my mom said she prefered Irreversible.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Palooka posted:

my mom said she prefered Irreversible.

Was this said before or after seeing it? Because the later is something you never want to hear from your mother.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
TV talk, but what are some good white noise television shows I can put on while doing some more menial work on the computer? I tried comedies, but looked away from my computer too often watching them. Back during my cable days, I usually had something random from History/Food Network/Discovery/etc. on, if that's a good example. The Anthony Bourdain shows that used to be on Instant were perfect and I'm going through Top Gear right now. Anything non-fiction along those lines would work because I have an unfortunately high tolerance threshold for them and they don't really demand continued fixation to get the gist of what's happening, but are still entertaining/interesting enough. Would the derivative procedurals from TNT/USA work? I've seen a few people recommend them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wizardryo posted:

TV talk, but what are some good white noise television shows I can put on while doing some more menial work on the computer? I tried comedies, but looked away from my computer too often watching them. Back during my cable days, I usually had something random from History/Food Network/Discovery/etc. on, if that's a good example. The Anthony Bourdain shows that used to be on Instant were perfect and I'm going through Top Gear right now. Anything non-fiction along those lines would work because I have an unfortunately high tolerance threshold for them and they don't really demand continued fixation to get the gist of what's happening, but are still entertaining/interesting enough. Would the derivative procedurals from TNT/USA work? I've seen a few people recommend them.

When I was hooked on Star Wars: The Old Republic and wanted something playing in the background, I'd burn through episodes of Highlander and Quantum Leap. I'd already seen them, so didn't require total concentration, but were good enough to re-watch in down time.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Wizardryo posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, then Stargate SG1 is what I use as background noise. It's not on netflix though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Star Trek the next generation is bland by design: characters, stories, music, lighting, and sets. Just chill out to endless conferences in the Beige Room where they politely discuss the definition of life, or the proper amount of respect to give space barnacles draining the engines.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Chocolate is back up on streaming, I seem to remember it was gone for a while. I'm not into martial arts movies that much but this one was pretty impressive, tons of real world stunts and all out fight scenes without shaky cam or choppy editing. The story sounds ridiculous but is actually better than the description reads, and like a lot of martial arts movies, it's all about the action scenes anyway.

I'll back this up, great movie.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I watched "The Wall" (Die Wand) which is an Austrian movie about a woman who is trapped inside an invisible dome in the Austrian countryside. It's not a ripoff of Under the Dome as it's based on a novel from 1963. Although the premise sounds like it's science fiction, the invisible wall eventually has little to do with the story. Also, this movie has very little action advancing the plot, it's a woman (and her dog) dealing with isolation in a realistic fashion.

It's certainly not for anyone that can't handle an incredibly slow burn but it still is very memorable when it's all through. Finally, holy gently caress if the Austrian countryside is really as beautiful as it is in this movie I know where I want to retire and die someday.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

No Longer Flaky posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, then Stargate SG1 is what I use as background noise. It's not on netflix though.

Ha ha, sucker. It's on Canadian Netflix. Also, I usually use David Attenborough nature specials as my white noise.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wizardryo posted:

Mythbusters is pretty perfect got this. It's a fun show but it's also a show you can get the general idea of while only paying attention from time to time. Hell, I have it on the in the background right now.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wizardryo posted:

TV talk, but what are some good white noise television shows I can put on while doing some more menial work on the computer?
Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares seems like it would be good for that, you can look up every few minutes and see Ramsay telling someone their food is loving ghastly and they need to stop taking the piss, and you don't have to pay much attention to follow along. The UK version is also a lot more reasonable, Ramsay is a very direct guy but they avoid a lot of the crazy histrionics of the US reality shows.

Also I know you said comedies didn't seem to work, but Psych is a good light comedy you don't have to pay much attention to. You can look up every few minutes and see the two goofy leads doing something goofy and laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The music is too nervewracking to just keep US Kitchen Nightmares on in the background.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Wizardryo posted:

TV talk, but what are some good white noise television shows I can put on while doing some more menial work on the computer?

If you don't want to watch the TV why don't you just listen to a podcast/audiobook/music?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The music is too nervewracking to just keep US Kitchen Nightmares on in the background.
Yeah the original UK version is very subdued and actually pretty low key all around, they don't seem to do a lot of the annoying reality TV music stings and stuff. It's up on Netflix as "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares", which is definitely the one I was recommending over the US one. I love the show so much but never get around to watching it as much as I want.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 23, 2013

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Paper Kaiju posted:

Was this said before or after seeing it? Because the later is something you never want to hear from your mother.

She thought it had a few more laughs than A Serbian Film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah the original UK version is very subdued and actually pretty low key all around, they don't seem to do a lot of the annoying reality TV music stings and stuff. It's up on Netflix as "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares", which is definitely the one I was recommending over the US one. I love the show so much but never get around to watching it as much as I want.

I hate how the final series has two episodes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hercules Is up on Netflix, put that on and once every ten minutes or so take a moment and chuckle at Kevin Sorbo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm looking for a good comedy right now. I like the Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, and Ben Stiller stuff, but I've seen Zac and Miri and Zoolander. What are some good options?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Four Lions.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

Four Lions.

Already have. It was good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chichevache posted:

I'm looking for a good comedy right now. I like the Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, and Ben Stiller stuff, but I've seen Zac and Miri and Zoolander. What are some good options?

Klown

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Worf trying to teach his brat about the importance of being honorable in school or Klingons eat worms is a great background tv that will keep you focused on your work.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I've seen that too. Decent film, but the ending was phenomenal.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I probably like Klown a lot more because I saw it in a crowded local independent theater with a great audience. (On a double feature with Miami Connection of all things). The Audience reactions were loving amazing in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, put Klown on a tv with your Roku or PS3 or whatever and have a watching party with some friends.

• Locked thread