Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Level Slide posted:

Why does uh... Ornac have Kouta's number registered on his phone?

I think the only team not on good terms with all the others is Baron. Friendly rivalry between teams and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cernunnos posted:

I think the only team not on good terms with all the others is Baron. Friendly rivalry between teams and all that.
I imagine they also have to exchange contact info if they want to schedule contests.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Everytime I see footage for the Gaim/Wizard movie I get more and more stoked. Although having all Riders in each movie is getting a bit old.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Perigryn posted:

I imagine they also have to exchange contact info if they want to schedule contests.
Nonsense. Contests happen when you walk directly onto their stage during a performance and pull out their MP3 card

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

When two Beat Riders lock eyes passing each other, the only option is an Invess game!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The writing and pacing has been top notch so far.

I'm just hoping this doesn't fall apart like Wizard did.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Race Realists posted:

The writing and pacing has been top notch so far.

I'm just hoping this doesn't fall apart like Wizard did.

Wizard didn't have to fall from very high. The first few episodes were promising but not particularly mindblowing.

That said, I definitely agree with you. I love this show so far, and I'm tired of having my heart broken. :sigh:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I refuse to believe Gaim could ever reach pacing as bad as Wizard having 8 episodes in a row that were all just one-offs to show off all 4 Dragon forms.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Brother Entropy posted:

I refuse to believe Gaim could ever reach pacing as bad as Wizard having 8 episodes in a row that were all just one-offs to show off all 4 Dragon forms.
I don't get it, because Double proved you can have a toy commercial and still move the plot along every single episode. In fact, I don't remember a single episode of Double that didn't move along the plot, even the fake movie episode went somewhere.

I guess the writers from Wizard just had this vague idea of "WIZARDS!" and not enough story telling to fill in the gaps

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flameingblack posted:

I don't get it, because Double proved you can have a toy commercial and still move the plot along every single episode. In fact, I don't remember a single episode of Double that didn't move along the plot, even the fake movie episode went somewhere.

I guess the writers from Wizard just had this vague idea of "WIZARDS!" and not enough story telling to fill in the gaps

How quickly we all forget HEAVEN'S TORNADO.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I will never understand the hate for heaven's tornado.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RBX posted:

I will never understand the hate for heaven's tornado.

It's an episode with bad side characters who can't act even for a Toku show and is basically 100% filler. It's just the weakest link in a really strong series. Plus the same general plot was done 10,000x better with the Liar Dopant episode and that bad singer. That beach scene :allears:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Flameingblack posted:

The biggest thing against Wizard is that, ultimately, nothing happens whatsoever - there are no stakes to be raised, and despite any showing of competence on part of the Phantoms, Haruto's only slip-ups in an otherwise perfect "save the victim of the week" record just outright save their own drat selves and become wizards too. There's absolutely no reason to care about the villains of the show, because for about 42 episodes they actually make negative progress. The closest thing we get is Legion, and even he serves as little more than an upgrade vehicle.

I wanted to like Wizard, but now I kind of cringe whenever I see Haruto; I wouldn't call the show neo-Heisei's Decade but it's by far the worst of the five we've gotten so far. Just so much wasted potential, for such a cool suit design and an absolutely amazing secondary Rider (who is incidentally the only reason to watch Wizard).

Gaim on the other hand is basically the opposite, for me: I had no idea how the hell the show would work with its own, incredibly scattered concept, and was convinced that it couldn't be even remotely serious (for god's sake we have a dude whose belt yells BANANA ARMS), but here we are, just getting better and better every week.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 23, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I watched the first two episodes for Wizard a while back and.....meh. Like there was a lot of fighting and gun play and magic but there was no reason to care. I want to say it's because they didn't even try to establish Haruto at the start. Like in the other series I watched (Fourze, OOO, Gaim) episode one is all about the hero before he gets his powers. Makes the hero relatable in some way so you want to follow his 50 something episode fight against evil. Wizard starts with Wizard. I'm sure it could work having pre established heroes, but the first episode gave me no reason to care for Haruto.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Double starts with Double. He's got all his powers and knows how to use them.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Potsticker posted:

Well then, I need to watch Double stat. And it just proves that it can be done. Wizard just.... I don't know. It's just kinda a wet fart of a start.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

Well then, I need to watch Double stat. And it just proves that it can be done. Wizard just.... I don't know. It's just kinda a wet fart of a start.
Double is the perfect series. There's no "How do I use abilities" episodes, because the series begins and ends as if this were an every-day thing for them (Which it is). It's detective too, so you get to play along with the episodes. The action's really good, and so is the comedy. Some people get really sick of the female lead, and the secondary rider takes some warming up to, but other than that, the plot progresses along better than any year-long drama series so far

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Gaim on the other hand is basically the opposite, for me: I had no idea how the hell the show would work with its own, incredibly scattered concept, and was convinced that it couldn't be even remotely serious (for god's sake we have a dude whose belt yells BANANA ARMS), but here we are, just getting better and better every week.

Gaim is probably a complete 180 of Wizard in almost every aspect. Gaim's gimmicks seem completely all over the place (Sengoku, fruits, locks) while Wizard's is pretty straight and narrow yet Wizard seems to falter with plot and pacing and utterly squanders the potential of the powers it shows off while Gaim make relatively creative use of everything it shows off and keeps everything going at a decent clip.

Gaim is the Anti-Wizard

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's an episode with bad side characters who can't act even for a Toku show and is basically 100% filler. It's just the weakest link in a really strong series. Plus the same general plot was done 10,000x better with the Liar Dopant episode and that bad singer. That beach scene :allears:
Never mind the fact that someone got hit with a flying manhole cover and they didn't get a broken leg.

At least the Cockroach Dopant was kind of cool...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess this is then end of the first Act and poo poo is continuing to ramp up. The mass production suits on on their way and the Energy Seeds will make their premier I guess all those repeat locks won't necessarily be going to waste.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

That's not QUITE true.

It starts right before Double becomes Double, and then we get a time skip.

Also, Wade, watch Kuuga before I loving shiv you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

That's not QUITE true.

It starts right before Double becomes Double, and then we get a time skip.

Also, Wade, watch Kuuga before I loving shiv you.

Unless you count that very first scene as a flashback--

Either way, the majority of the first episode is when Double has been Double for some time. I'll admit on my first viewing, I was confused which one was asking the question. I had assumed it was Shotaro asking Phillip, but either way didn't make a lot of sense to me.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
11's out.

Pierre remains the best character.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dordreff posted:

11's out.

Pierre remains the best character.

Ahahaha, amazing. :allears: ~*~Can love bloom on a battlefield?~*~

Also wondering how things will go down now that some of the riders know that Yggdrasill is manipulating everyone from behind the scenes, will they tell the other riders? Try to do something to Yggdrasill? Also looks like our lockseed dealer might be taking a more active role?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Holy crap, Kouta has a black Santa sweater.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 11 was great, things really seem to be ramping up now.

What's a good place to start watching other Kamen Rider shows, this is the first I've seen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

What's a good place to start watching other Kamen Rider shows, this is the first I've seen.

I'm watching Double(W) right now and it's awesome. It has a sense of humor that reminds me of Gaim and so far I like the villains better, a real bunch of mustache twirlers.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

You can basically jump in to any of them, they're almost entirely self-contained apart from a few of the earliest series. Personally, I'd recommend W, Fourze, OOO, Kuuga and Ryuki, and I'd suggest avoiding Wizard, Decade and Kabuto.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Sakurazuka posted:

For more recent stuff, starting from W and going through the shows that follow is good (though you won't miss much skipping Wizard), but it'll be a little different. W's still really good, but it does the more formulaic two-episode arc thing that everyone keeps mentioning is absent in Gaim. It's fine there, but both OOO and Fourze after it also do the same thing, to varying success. I'd say the format was most showing it's flaws in Wizard, however.

If you want to go back further, Kuuga kicked off the revival of Kamen Rider in the heisei era back in 2000. It's dated and a bit dry at times, but still good I think. From there you can go to Agito, Ryuki, or whatever else if you want, but the heisei shows pre-W vary in tone wildly and are all pretty much totally different. Kuuga's got police elements, Faiz is apparently more like a j-drama, Kabuto is theoretically good but goes off the rails in the last half, Den-O is very comical. It's worth noting that I'm pretty sure the writer for Gaim has said he's a fan of Ryuki.

Wayyy back is the campier stuff. The original Kamen Rider isn't fully subbed yet, but V3 after it is, Amazon is, and Stronger's nearly there. Black is one of the last shows of showa (I think heisei began during Black RX?) and is supposed to be good, but obviously the further back you go the further removed you're getting from the sort of thing you're seeing in Gaim. If you want to get a taste of the standard fare of older Rider without any of the investment, Kamen Rider ZO is a movie from the 90s that pretty effectively encapsulates the themes of the series as a whole.

e: In spite of what dordreff said and what I said about Kabuto going off the rails, I think it's still very worth watching if you keep in mind that it gets dumber as it goes. The suits are still some of the best in the series with good action and some pretty entertaining characters, you just have to not take it as seriously as it tries to get you to in it's first half. I'm sure it's harder to like for anybody who went in without knowing how much it changes. That said, it's probably not a great thing to watch early. I'd still stick with W, Kuuga, ZO, or Black as good places depending on the era you're looking for.

Raizor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 25, 2013

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dordreff posted:

You can basically jump in to any of them, they're almost entirely self-contained apart from a few of the earliest series. Personally, I'd recommend W, Fourze, OOO, Kuuga and Ryuki, and I'd suggest avoiding Wizard, Decade and Kabuto.

This is good advice, follow it. Let me add to it, though, you'll want to watch W, OOO and Fourze in order, due to their movie crossovers (which aren't absolutely needed for the storyline but Megamax is so drat good). Evade Wizard and Decade unless you're really bored and have watched everything else and want to see how bad Kamen Rider can be, the former is dull as hell and the latter has no story. Kabuto isn't that bad, I'd put it above Faiz, but it's a total trainwreck later on, so you might want to leave it for later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Heisei Era started during the tail end of RX, yeah. The original Rider series are very different compared to how it works nowadays, if only because the majority were made in the early 70s. But, I'd still try to watch one of the better ones, at least. V3 is just fantastic all around, the original is a roller coaster of WTF as it tries to find its footing and figure out what it wants to be...and has to replace the lead actor due to him shattering his leg. Stronger is one of the most fun Kamen Riders of all time forever-just really skim past the first 7 episodes. It only hits its stride 8 episodes in.

EDIT: Aw gently caress it, SHOWA THOUGHTS!

ZO is a good movie, and ISN'T A loving SHOWA RIDER TOEI, but it more so captures the style of Black and RX, rather than the whole Showa Era. For that you'd want ZX, the other Z Rider, which actually has all of the Riders made before Black in the same outing.

The original, like I said, is very interesting, but it's pretty much got like a dozen different eras within it. The first 13 episodes are their own thing, and even then the show was evolving during those 13 episodes. You'll notice a sharp difference when Ichigo, the first Rider, stops being pragmatic and starts posing and calling out RIDER every other minute during his fights. After the first 13, Niigo, the second, takes over and well the show rarely holds still for long.

V3 is just really fantastic all the way around. It's constantly changing up the villains in a good way, giving each just enough time for something cool to go down. My favorite Rider series, bar none.

X is sadly mostly unsubbed, but it's monsters alone, when it does get subbed, justify watching. ANT CAPONE. STARFISH HITLER.

Amazon is amazing, especially if you want to see two monster men tear into each other and lots of fake blood and foam everygoddamnwhere.

Stronger, as said, piss poor first 7 episodes, the rest is golden.

Sky Rider is actually really slow, and part of that is because it's not technically part of the original era. Stronger was the effective end for the Showa Riders, as the show went on hiatus for a few years, before they brought it back with the quasi-remake Sky Rider, which eventually became a straight up continuation. As such, the action is a lot slower, possibly due to just not having practice. It's also got more crossovers than anything else, and I'm counting Decade.

Super-1 is ProtoFourze only, when you get to the second half, sillier. He fights a goddamn umbrella cyborg. I'm not sure if I need to say more. Sadly, mostly unsubbed.

Kamen Rider Black is a weird show. It's not like the Showa Riders that came before, but it's not like what would come later, either. The closest comparison is with Kuuga, but even there they were both trying to do very different things with the action. Where Kuuga wanted a very gritty, realistic action, Black wanted super heroic, hot blooded action. I personally love Black, it's tied with Kuuga as my second favorite, but it is also episodic as hell. Partly because the main guy in charge of the show quit after episode two and the production team was in shambles. Whoops.

Kamen Rider Black RX is, quality of the show itself, a lovely sequel. I don't think anyone would ever disagree with that. Even if you think RX is better than Black, it's still not a good sequel. As far as the show itself goes, it's less Kamen Rider and more Metal Hero...sort of. See, you may have never seen a Metal Hero series, which is fine. Heisei Rider takes more than a few elements from Metal Heroes now and again, and RX was the start of the trend, effectively being a Metal Hero with bug eyes. RX is really and truly a proto-Heisei Rider, down to form changes and a useless bike, which is fitting since he's technically the first Heisei Rider.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 25, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I finished Kamen Rider Black a couple months back and I loved it. I'd highly recommend it.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Raizor posted:

e: In spite of what dordreff said and what I said about Kabuto going off the rails, I think it's still very worth watching if you keep in mind that it gets dumber as it goes. The suits are still some of the best in the series with good action and some pretty entertaining characters, you just have to not take it as seriously as it tries to get you to in it's first half. I'm sure it's harder to like for anybody who went in without knowing how much it changes. That said, it's probably not a great thing to watch early. I'd still stick with W, Kuuga, ZO, or Black as good places depending on the era you're looking for.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kabuto isn't that bad, I'd put it above Faiz, but it's a total trainwreck later on, so you might want to leave it for later.

Yeah, I guess Kabuto isn't really a "completely avoid" kind of series like Decade and Wizard are, but how much you enjoy it depends on how much you can tolerate a flawless god-king protagonist with no development at all and the boring-rear end girl he follows around everywhere, and on whether or not you can just ignore the story and go along for the fights and suits. Probably also depends on how hungry you are.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dordreff posted:

Yeah, I guess Kabuto isn't really a "completely avoid" kind of series like Decade and Wizard are, but how much you enjoy it depends on how much you can tolerate a flawless god-king protagonist with no development at all and the boring-rear end girl he follows around everywhere, and on whether or not you can just ignore the story and go along for the fights and suits. Probably also depends on how hungry you are.

I'm sorry If you can't get on the Tendou train, but the episode where he shows up disguised as the priest at a wedding cemented him in my mind as basically one of the best riders.

"God Said This..."

He's 'perfect' but he's so drat entertaining to watch which is something true of all of Kabuto. It's plot falls to shambles and it gets goofy as gently caress but the individual characters and riders are so interesting and fun that you don't really care. It even has one of the best rider deaths in the franchise and they play it off really well. Side characters you thought were done with the plot return in new and interesting ways and in the end it becomes a really lovable cast, 'Perfect' Lead and boring Girl aside.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 25, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

Don't "completely avoid" Decade. Tsukasa is one of the most entertaining Main Riders there is. He's like Tendou (of Kabuto) if he occasionally got his comeuppance once in a while. Sure, the AR worlds are mostly terrible and/or forgettable, but that's no reason to not even give it a chance. Just, don't expect the plot to ever make sense, the movies to have any sort of continuity, or the AR worlds to have any respect for the series they represent.

Wizard had Nitou to keep me entertained, but honestly, Wizard is probably the only Rider series I've seen where I could classify it as "absolutely skippable." Everything else has enough redeeming value to make a watch worthwhile. Even though Kabuto has the worst protagonist, it has amazing suits, Kagami and Tsurugi. Even though Fourze drags on in the beginning and falls apart in the end it has an amazing protagonist and some great stuntwork. Even though OOOs protagonist is forgettable, it has an amazing supporting cast, villains, and one of the best endings I've seen in a Rider series. Faiz falls apart completely in the end, crashing and burning, but it has an interesting plot and my favorite belt. Den-O also takes some time to get started and really has no real plot, but there's great acting all around. W stands above all at having the least flaws.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Someone should just compile a list of the Beast episodes of Wizard so I can watch those.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Even though they are Beast episodes, skip 32 & 33. It's one of the worst arcs in the show. The monster suit moves horribly making the fights awkward to watch and Nitou's friend and doesn't learn his lesson at all, making him very, very annoying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for the suggestions, grabbed a few series, probably gonna start with W.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
One of the best parts of this thread is watching the people on the edge of their seats, biting their nails, pleading to heaven that Gaim will not suddenly start sucking. Wizard has made us pretty wary, hasn't it? Friggin' Wizard.

I'm surprised to hear no love for Blade in the recommending of other shows to watch. I'm about a third of the way through, and really enjoy how it's different from the newer stuff (OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim) that I've been watching. It has a lot less completely silly comic relief, the special effects aren't nearly as flashy, and it feels so drat relentlessly paced (thus far) in comparison to that two episode format thing. The Riders are all at each other's throats for various reasons, and something is always happening.

It's only subbed by TV-Nihon, sadly, and the quality of both the video and the subs are pretty crap... but there are good raws out there and NDA Subs should have episode 4 out tomorrow. I'm really hoping they'll keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Blade is a show I keep really meaning to watch. I really do. I just, for some reason, can't get past the suit. I really do not like Blade's design.

I have no idea why that's stopping me-my least favorite Kamen Rider design, bar none?

V3. And he's my favorite Rider.

Maybe the new subs will help kick my rear end into watching it.

• Locked thread