Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly, that seems like a much broader problem than just tropers. I've heard/read reasoned arguments on why yaoi and yuri fanfiction (man/man and woman/woman, respectively) could actually be considered rather harmful to gays in the same way that a fanservice character is to feminism and women in general: it encourages objectifying them into fuckbuddies that happen to be of the same gender, and making that their sole defining trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Part of me really wants to go to that villain thread, and just give them a test. Disguise a villain from a slightly obscure classic they're not familiar with, or throw them one of my own characters that I know is decent by actually knowing poo poo about writing, and just... see how they do with it. See if they unintentionally trundle into some good ideas, or if their intended improvements end up ruining what makes the character work.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cleretic posted:

Part of me really wants to go to that villain thread, and just give them a test. Disguise a villain from a slightly obscure classic they're not familiar with, or throw them one of my own characters that I know is decent by actually knowing poo poo about writing, and just... see how they do with it. See if they unintentionally trundle into some good ideas, or if their intended improvements end up ruining what makes the character work.

It would be rather fascinating but just not possible for us to do.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

here's a hero:
[snip]
Personality: A rather bland person, easy to influence, tries hard to avoid making enemies (and eye contact), lacks the guts to make a stand, fearless (literally, but still feels quite uncomfortable about any conflict).
[/snip]

a hero needs a villain (because that's a trope)

How does this work? How can you be fearless, but still lack the guts to make a stand and avoid eyecontact? Though eyecontact avoidance doesn't have to do with a lack of guts, considering how it's both there it's probably related. Unless it's tropers writing what they "know", they're all :spergin: after all.

crowfeathers posted:

I like that they list and explain all the tropes they used. Because that's how you build a character, you see.

Case in point:
[snip]
Backstory: Cowgirl doesn't have much of a backstory. His past before joining the Second Wave is a mystery, and even much of his life during his time with the Second Wave isn't well documented. No one likes spending more time with him than absolutely necessary.
[/snip]

E: also, the thread degenerated into people just posting their stuff, even though the official line was that you had to critique first, to promote discussion and so people can improve as writers. gently caress that, here's my original character with a Badass Longcoat and a Deadpan Snark

Is this where we slot in the rape?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I bet if you asked one of these Tropers what their hero’s “fatal” flaw was, the one thing that could be exploited, their answer would just be a blank stare. Not only do these characters lack any strengths outside of “long coat and katana,” but there’s nothing there a bad guy could exploit to build up any sort of drama or tension in their stories…well, outside of a girlfriend or crush to be kidnapped and raped.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for writing was “when you come up with a main character, hero or villain, make sure they have a significant flaw.” It gives the character motivation or a reason to do what they do…or to NOT do anything, which could be just as dramatic in the right hands. In the book I’m trying to write (hey, thanks to this thread I'm actually halfway done with the first draft!), the male protagonist’s flaw is “too trusting; holds too much faith in the general goodness of humanity,” and the female protagonist’s flaw is “peace through superior firepower; Plan B is just twice as many bullets as Plan A.”

Both of them could hold some tension…but to Tropers, those flaws would just boil down to “Curse Your Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal” or “More Dakka.”

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wasn't that Zelos's arc in Tales of Symphonia?
And pretty much the entire plot of Elric, and the first half or so of Berserk.

MinistryofLard posted:

I dunno, the idea of a person, selected at random by an abstract Destiny, being basically forced to destroy something he has nothing to do with and has no desire to destroy, to the point of being unable to die until he does so could be an interesting story. An exploration of the ancient Greek conception of destiny as an abstract force that you can't escape from, no matter what you do, and as a pretty good parody (satire? lampooning? Not entirely sure whether that would count as satire) of the generic fantasy plot.

It could work as comedy, it could work as drama. Its not a bad idea, and in the hands of a decent writer it could be an amazing book.

Thing is, that describing the character as a pointless list like what that troper did ("Name: blah, strengths: blah, weaknesses: blah") removes anything that makes a story sound interesting and replaces it with a set of essentially superfluous attributes. The guy thinks that what makes his character interesting is that the guy has the perfect sword and can't die, not why he has the perfect sword and can't die, to the point of literally listing the personality as 'bland.' and writing as much about that as his weaknesses.

Malazan Book of the Fallen has a few characters that fall under this general idea, Erickson is a decent writer so he can pull it off. The tropes page for that book series is, uh, real fuckin bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Darth TNT posted:

Is this where we slot in the rape?

Probably! But the reason that part in particular is stupid is that this isn't a thread for critiquing writing; it's to explain a character and ask for improvements. So being all mysterious with the character's back story makes no sense unless the writer literally hasn't thought of one yet. How is anyone supposed to know if a character makes sense and is interesting if there's nothing to go on?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen has a few characters that fall under this general idea, Erickson is a decent writer so he can pull it off. The tropes page for that book series is, uh, real fuckin bad.

Holy gently caress, you aren't kidding.

edit: It's painful to see Beak used as a shining example of a trope so loving trite as "Friendship is Magic"

SodomyGoat101 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 20, 2013

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

crowfeathers posted:

Probably! But the reason that part in particular is stupid is that this isn't a thread for critiquing writing; it's to explain a character and ask for improvements. So being all mysterious with the character's back story makes no sense unless the writer literally hasn't thought of one yet. How is anyone supposed to know if a character makes sense and is interesting if there's nothing to go on?

It is literally just a flimsy copout. They can't come up with a backstory that would lead to someone not wanting to do anything besides shoot people all the time without stopping. So when faced with the question "Why is he like that?" all they have is "Because, he's a....um...it's a...buh...it's a mystery! Nobody knows!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I just discovered that TvTropes didn't even come up with the stupid Nightmare Fuel name. They just stole it from old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes and drove the loving joke into the ground. I shouldn't even be surprised at this point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I just discovered that TvTropes didn't even come up with the stupid Nightmare Fuel name. They just stole it from old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes and drove the loving joke into the ground. I shouldn't even be surprised at this point.

Literally none of the vaguely clever "trope" names are original. They are 99% references to nerd poo poo, which makes it hilarious when tropers assume that people are referencing them and not the original work.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

quote:

I thought the whole "Regular Show has many female fans" was too offensive. Mainly because I'm a male fan of the show and felt it was a little stereotypical. There are plenty of guys who watch the show too.

He goes on to edit that bit from the "Estrogen Bait" page (basically, lots of females watch something because there's a hot guy in it) four more times before he's finally banned. Behold.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

No, see, lots of girls watch that show because girls always love slash pairings (even if it's between a cartoon bluejay and a cartoon raccoon). Always. ALWAYS. :tvtropes:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Mazed posted:

No, see, lots of girls watch that show because girls always love slash pairings (even if it's between a cartoon bluejay and a cartoon raccoon). Always. ALWAYS. :tvtropes:

Well that explains the inexplicable popularity of the Hetalia series.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mazed posted:

To be fair, shippers are loving weird and do watch shows just for that reason instead of watching because they like the show or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Testekill posted:

To be fair, shippers are loving weird and do watch shows just for that reason instead of watching because they like the show or something.

Then again, you've kinda gotta love at least some aspects of a show if you're writing about two directly related incompatibly sexually oriented characters boning loving each other.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I would love to see all these completely motivation-less characters in an existentialist adventure. It would be amazing. A huge, sweeping fantasy setting with these characters trudging listlessly across it, defeated and affectless postures, all the dialogue out of Waiting for Godot or something.

"I need to defeat the dragon because I'm the guy who..."

He trails off into a sigh of utter desolation. After a silence of several minutes, and with a visible effort, he continues:

"does that."

"OK." Responds K'rtzz of the Seven Blades. "Fine."

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I always get a laugh whenever they make a point of not giving "spoilers" for their stories.

As if they were ever going to be finished/read anyway.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Morkyz posted:

I always get a laugh whenever they make a point of not giving "spoilers" for their stories.

As if they were ever going to be finished/read/not completely predictable anyway.

That's more like it.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Not to mention they're asking for critique. You can't go "sorry not spoiling my super secret character background"when the point of asking for critique is actually getting it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If it's super secret, it MUST be really original and mindblowing, and so good people would be helpless to want to steal the idea. :pseudo:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Here's an original character

quote:

Name: Odin / Gran Magus of the Northwestern Hemisphere Othinus Cyrhoden / Brunn Borson

Personality: This individual is one of numerous, odd inconsistencies - he alleges that his group is just trying to ensure that the world of men does not encroach upon the world of magic, and is constantly trying to ensure that the Masquerade does not fall disastrously. However, he has about as many scruples as Yhwach when it comes to things its acceptable to do in pursuit of the greater good. Very arrogant, he is the type that is very nonchalant in associating with known enemies, even when its common knowledge he's planning their deaths. He seems very sociopathic and unpleasant, but maintains that everything he did is for the greater good and that people around him are foolish for just so much as questioning his goal. He really, really hates fools, and has a tendency to lop off an arm after too many idiot remarks, due to the fact he knows he has one of the strongest medics nearby at all times. Has very poor impulse control, and a tendency to get violently displeased if a failure comes with no benefits - total failure is punished usually by him carving off half of your skull. While usually dead serious, he's sometimes a little too serious in certain situations, which results in really, really strange The Comically Serious moments, such as telling a treasonous agent who could shapeshift to "Be The Ball" while co-opting his powers to turn him into a toy ball to give to Walda for her birthday. He has a more compassionate side to his being - just one he hides zealously, believing one "must cut out his heart to rule his empire." To this end, he cut out his eye personally to maximize his connection to the mythology of Odin, and is currently forging Mjolnir. He disdains the idea of forcing a minion to do something he should be doing himself, thinking of it as deplorable laziness. He seems to have gathered numerous magicians to him based on fairy tales, parables and legends, holding their loyalty by a combination of fear and "the respect demanded by a god." He seems to have a grudge against Terumi Shin'ei, claiming the man damaged his Magic, and jeopardized what was already a very difficult operation.

Abilities:

As Gran Magus, he has taken a number of powers with the title, including a stern, powerful body, a naturally replenishing supply of Internal Mana that recuperates at an astounding amount per second, functionally making him unable to ever run out. There's a reason there are so many names for this person, and why his position is so highly desired.
Hlioskjalf: A relative power to Regalia, he achieved this power by sacrificing his right eye to finalize his connection to the mythology of Odin. This power allows him to change the Mana in a spell and make it different Mana and thus, change what spell he's using, functionally allowing him to cast one spell out of another.
Einherjar: He can revive the dead as mythically powered Einherjar, simply by slipping a golden coin into their mouth. This process, however, severely dampens their emotions and empathic capacities.
Blot: He can, at any time, demand a sacrifice from his men, mostly used as a You Have Failed Me or You Have Outlived Your Usefulness on mercenaries or such. He uses it much more sparingly on his Inner Circle.
Draupnir: A golden ring, the power bequeathed by this mythically forged item is a Sphere of Destruction fired from his hand. It multiplies and disperses over an area.
Skíðblaðnir: A power co-owned by Odin and Freyr, this allows the two of them to fold reality around them and traverse the planet. It has a battle form that allows Odin to bring in elements of a powerful Viking ship to fight.
Incomplete Gungnir: He's not quite done forging it yet, but the Gungnir Spear is currently capable of bending and extending to no matter what hit his foe, as well as channeling his magic through it.
Star Reader: Odin is a formidable star reader, being able to divine the course of actions within a certain margin of error.
Eye of Sight: By sacrificing his right eye, in addition to intensifying his connection to the mythology, he has also gained the ability to see attacks coming before they happen.

Weaknesses: All his stronger abilities require him to be connected one hundred percent to the Odin Mythology. This, since he hasn't finished forging his spear, means his devastating blasts and spells have a chance of not working at all or exploding on him. He also tends to get very ill if he fights too much without having his full connection to the mythology of Odin. Specifically, he has a very literal Hour of Power before his own Internal Mana starts killing him and requiring the Odin Sleep.

Goals:

Goal 1: Destroy all vestiges of the Anti-Magical Faction, including murdering all politicians who supported it, dealing an equivalent amount of damage to all countries who supported it to what the Faction did, and assassinating all former members.
Goal 2: Forge Gungnir
Goal 3: Drop La Radiant Laplace Castle on Hawaii and pin it on Russia, end the world war in nine days, and make it apparent who the top dog of the new world is.
Goal 4: Prevent Ragnarok. ANY MEANS NECESSARY.
Goal 5: Ensure Loki doesn't get out of his prison.

Motivation: He apparently has a rivalry with his "father" Bors, and his temporary substitute Ollerus, and wants to achieve the greatest power among the Gran Magi of the hemispheres to prove that they are "behind him".

Role in the story: Bigger Bad / Outside-Context Villain / Eviler Counterpart to the Anti-Magical Faction

Backstory: He wasn't always, apparently, the angry sociopath he is right now, and some evidence suggests that is just a front he projects "for someone else's good." He appears to have a bitter relationship with previous Gran Magus Bors. Whatever happened in his past, its a long time ago and very few except Wolfang "The Prophet", Vicelogia, and some others know what his secrets are.

Relevant Tropes:
A God Am I: So much. He is actually accurate, being one that the Magical Faction assigns to the position of "All Father of his Pantheon." Though he is not the only one to hold this position.
Arch-Enemy: The Anti-Magical Faction in its entirety, and any who supported it, to the extent of trying to assassinate the Prime Minister of England who is certainly not David Cameron.
Badass: So, Odin's heard a field full of fifty thousand men are the same guy and he's Fighting a Shadow. Response? Nuke the field so hard it plunges in altitude. By the end of it, the guy who bragged Odin was fighting a shadow was left barely able to recover.

Badass Boast: "So, Sir Rinkaku, you don't know who I am. You lead an intelligence division of the New Ephas Abjuration, and you do not know who your enemy is. Rebuild your pitiful group from the ground up. Fire or execute the sewage occupying the lower level jobs, and replace the drivel in the high positions. I myself cannot bother to destroy you. I'd rather fight a rival god than crush a worm under my boot."
Badass Finger Snap: Uses Hlioskjalf on those guards with this motion, blasting them with unusual types of Mana to prevent any of them from getting a lock on what he's doing.
Badass Long Coat: Aside from short shorts, this is his main worn item, in his "young androgyne" appearance.
Handicapped Badass: One eye lost doesn't seem to affect his battle performance much at all.

The list of tropes goes on for pages and pages, these are just the first couple. Badass Longcoat :allears:

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

Hlioskjalf: A relative power to Regalia, he achieved this power by sacrificing his right eye to finalize his connection to the mythology of Odin. This power allows him to change the Mana in a spell and make it different Mana and thus, change what spell he's using, functionally allowing him to cast one spell out of another.

What does this even mean? In fact, what does any of that even mean?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
The weird "anti-retaker" fucker is back again. For a bit of context, this is the guy who really, really, really, REALLY loved the Mass Effect 3 original ending, and went to spamming pages and some of the forum with how the Extended Cut ruined it all.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

crowfeathers posted:

Here's an original character

The list of tropes goes on for pages and pages, these are just the first couple. Badass Longcoat :allears:

God, these people sure know how to drain the life out of a character. I only got about halfway through the laundry list of Abilities before dozing off.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And, of course, he looks no older than seventeen.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm glad he mentioned this character gets a lot of mana back per second. I may want to use this character in a World of Warcraft raid and I want to make sure he never runs out. :shepface:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

TV Tropes Writer's Block > A Tie In Poker

Handsomerob posted:

I was reading this page on Tie breakers in Poker, because I considered that I might want to write a poker game one day.

I was wondering what was the best way to write a tie in poker where both sides loses (like say Strip Poker)?

How would I go about portraying that while staying true to the rules?

quote:

If you look at what you linked, it's not possible to have a tie in most cases.

Handsomerob posted:

Yeah. I thought as much.

I guess I can't do it unless I Play it as a massive joke.

Like managing to set water on fire or something.

quote:

Even under the rules in your link, a tie is possible. It's unlikely, because it would require each player to have identical value hands (the same values in individual cards, but in different suits), but it is possible, and that's enough for a story.

Handsomerob posted:

Oh.

Okay then. Either way, I got something to work with.

Edit: For shits and giggles, what would be an example of hands with identical values?

I don't know enough about Poker to know what they would look like.

Neither read the page he linked nor understands poker but by god he's going to write about it.

TV Tropes Writer's Block > Share your first lines!

quote:

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night, 50 years later in a place with no weather nor nights yet another day began. This was Sano's 8000th day and he had no recollection of day #7999. He didn't know that yet, nor did he know that someone had colored his hair pink and a matching miniskirt was hanging from the ceiling fan. He was still sleeping, dreaming about Earth and a dark stormy night just like those he had seen in the movies, just like the ones in the beginning of poorly written stories with run-on sentences, stories with stuff like haunted houses, screaming maids, slamming doors, pirate ships and a child that might or might not be growing up in Kansas anymore, possibly due to the weather.
No, see, it's meta, which means it's good.

quote:

"Let’s see here…if I arrange the regents like this…wait, did I do it wrong? Oh, I think I made a mistake here. I think I might be able to save it. Hmm…"

Hanna scratched her strawberry blond hair, perusing a particular page of a moldy book for God knew how many times. On the outside, the book lost its color and replaced by a thin sheet of dust that would easily be considered as every housemaid’s nightmare. On the inside, most people would only see archaic and incomprehensible words occupying every space. It was not the kind of book anyone would want to read centuries ago, never the less the current age. The sheer effort that the teenaged girl put in deciphering the message, however, might suggest otherwise. Nobody covers the floor of her attic with countless crumpled discarded notes out of boredom. What mysterious secrets did the book hold? Secret to immortality? A love potion? Philosopher’s stone? The answer to the dichotomy of good and evil? A sports almanac from the future?

No such thing was in her mind, but only a cheerful humming dancing on her pink lips. She took another handful of dirt she got from a local cemetery and sprinkle them on the floor. She had a basic understanding of the words, and the pages were clearly pointing to a certain direction, including the shape and the material for the circle with three feet radius that was needed for the ritual. That was really the only reason she needed. Granted, that would not be enough to convince concerned parents that let their child spend hours and hours in a dark and dusty attic every day was perfectly fine. Not that they would have been able to stop her, of course. It wasn’t as if she was neglecting her studies or other perceived duties as a girl her age, after all. There was no reason why anyone should interfere with her and her perfectly normal hobby.

quote:

• end of a bad day*
"Right now, all i want to do is beet the poo poo out of someone."
  • Walks into a room with six men waiting top surround him*
"Gentlemen... today is a very good day."

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
After all that prose and meandering and mana scores, I'm hella fond of that last one. The guy knows what he wants to write and by god he's going to write it. :allears:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
TVTropes Pleads The Fifth: Gentlemen... today is a very good day

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Djeser posted:

TV Tropes Writer's Block > Share your first lines!

No, see, it's meta, which means it's good.

To a casual observer those entries would seem to be longer than one line.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Morkyz posted:

It means he can change the element of a Fireball spell into Ice or Thunder elemental, depending on his enemy's weakness. Come on man, this is like the first thing you learn when you take a level in Archmage.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Morkyz posted:

The mention of mana made me think of MTG, so the impression I got was that instead of burning with red mana you could convert it to green mana to pump up something.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Heath posted:

It means he can change the element of a Fireball spell into Ice or Thunder elemental, depending on his enemy's weakness. Come on man, this is like the first thing you learn when you take a level in Archmage.

I took it to mean that he could rapidly cast different elemental spells one after another....why are we trying to make sense of this?

Morkyz posted:

But we know btter. *wink wink nudge nudge*

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
My favorite part of all that is how Draupnir shoots fireballs.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Morkyz posted:

To any regular reader, editor, or author they are more than one line.

However, since these are Tropers we're discussing, the standard Rules Need Not Apply.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Badass Boast: "So, Sir Rinkaku, you don't know who I am. You lead an intelligence division of the New Ephas Abjuration, and you do not know who your enemy is. Rebuild your pitiful group from the ground up. Fire or execute the sewage occupying the lower level jobs, and replace the drivel in the high positions. I myself cannot bother to destroy you. I'd rather fight a rival god than crush a worm under my boot."

Wow such a badass line how incredible I'm compelled and interested in this exciting new character

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That line reads kinda like an anime fansub.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

That line reads kinda like an anime fansub.

Honestly? It doesn't. Anime, even lovely anime, is typically written by someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing. This line reads like someone's idiotic idea of what would sound badass in an anime. It is levels removed from actual anime, that's how loving bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
I'm more interested in that villain. Seriously, that is an incredibly open-minded hiring policy, hiring actual sewage (also I think the badass misused the word "drivel").

Also did anyone else picture that "badass" quote being said by a fat teenager? That's honestly all I could picture.

• Locked thread