Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Where are people getting free hulk from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Phenotype posted:

I don't understand how anyone without a strong Wolverine can have enough 3-stars to play in this tournament. I have a level 35 2/2/2 Spiderman, a couple two-skill heroes I haven't put any experience into, and a bunch of level 15 one-covers. I struggled my way to the 50 point reward with Spidey, 1/0 Ragnarok, and 1/1/0 Iron Man or 0/2/1 Grey Widow and it took me triple boosts and two tries to win any fights. Meanwhile, I need two yellow Wolverine covers to max him, and I've sold off probably 6-7 extra greens and reds.

I guess my bracket sucks compared to yours, because my 0/2/1 Spider-Man is all I needed to get the Original Black Widow reward at 325.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What do you think the cutoff is for 'gently caress attacking this team'? I've got a team of Level 40 IM40, Level 40 Ragnarok and Level 30 Spiderman. I have not been attacked or counterattacked a single time this entire 3 Star Tournament.

People aren't afraid of my L75 IM40 / L117 Grey Widow / L90 Ragnarok team; getting hit for 30 points a piece sure is fun.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Brutal tourney. The nail that sticks above 400 points shall get hammered down.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What do you think the cutoff is for 'gently caress attacking this team'? I've got a team of Level 40 IM40, Level 40 Ragnarok and Level 30 Spiderman. I have not been attacked or counterattacked a single time this entire 3 Star Tournament.

I have no idea. I'm attacking teams with a makeup like yours regularly.

I'm running a lv 71 Grey Widow (5/3/5); lv 103 IM 40 (5/4/1); lv 41 Doom (3/1) for reference.

Edit: This combo is actually fun to run.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 23, 2013

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Less than one minute left. I should end this 3 Star Tournament in first place. It's hilarious because it's obvious that the second, third and fourth place players in my bracket are getting completely hammered by attacks and counterattacks. First place was 200 points above me at one point, and keeps dropping.

EDIT: I got attacked/counterattacked a grand total of 3 times the entire tournament, and those 3 times were at the very end. Slacker brackets are nice, but slacker matchmaking is the best.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 23, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
went from 2nd to mystery in the final 45 seconds of the event, I'm gonna be pissed if I don't top 5. I probably could have taken 1st if I didn't have a 10+ hour road trip today

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Karnegal posted:

He's unlocked on the main Hulk mission. 25/25/25 DA team and he's the reward.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karnegal posted:

A NEW ALLY encounter on the Hulk world map gives a guaranteed Hulk green cover.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Yep, first place in the *** Tournament. What the hell am I supposed to do with this X-Force Wolverine?

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yep, first place in the *** Tournament. What the hell am I supposed to do with this X-Force Wolverine?

How many HP do you get from selling a four star cover?

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I could've been #1 in # star earlier if I cared to, but once the last hour hit it was like pulling teeth to stay above 400 points with a level 102 IM 30, level 99 Spider Man, and level 66 Doom. I ended up getting a Top 15 prize. Bastards.

I did learn that if you have to choose between going after an enemies' Spider-Man or classic Magneto, choose Magneto and hope you can finish him off before he one-shots someone with his purple attack.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

IAmUnaware posted:

How many HP do you get from selling a four star cover?

It's 200 ISO and 50 HP. Not really worth selling, and kinda useless without some more covers, too.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Okay so I have a 5/4/3 Wolverine. Should I go 5/5/3 or 5/4/4? I am thinking 5/5/3 because I love his super powerful Nuke slash.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So are you guys diving right into these new subevents or will you wait until the end? I waited a few hours to do the missions on the main event and almost every mission had tripled in points.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dammit, got knocked down from #27 to under #75, destroying my hopes of getting a Punisher that I'll never use.

I seriously love Hulk's Black Cover. It's a shame that I can't use it much during the event, since Ally Hulk only attacks on Black matches for me, since Wolverine outranks him on the Red and Green.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Okay so I have a 5/4/3 Wolverine. Should I go 5/5/3 or 5/4/4? I am thinking 5/5/3 because I love his super powerful Nuke slash.

Man, you hosed up. You do 5/3/5 so his heal always activates. Thor should be using up all that red anyway.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Deep Winter posted:

Man, you hosed up. You do 5/3/5 so his heal always activates. Thor should be using up all that red anyway.

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE ME DO!? FORSAKE MY WOLVERINE!? BURN IT ALL DOWN AND BEGIN ANEW!? MY GOD I CRY OUT TO YOU! ANSWER ME!!!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE ME DO!? FORSAKE MY WOLVERINE!? BURN IT ALL DOWN AND BEGIN ANEW!? MY GOD I CRY OUT TO YOU! ANSWER ME!!!

The red is only good right now because it is boosted to the moon, the low cost of thor's red nuke is more useful. That said Wolverine's should probably hit harder per AP than Thor's because it doesn't have the secondary effect of creating greens (but you probably want those greens for wolverine to chew on anyway)

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

It's not that bad, as long as you max green Wolverine still "works". Spew out strike tiles, end games fast. So you miss out on the occasional heal.

At least that's what I tell myself, all the while socking away covers for a second Wolverine...

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

Gallow posted:

I could've been #1 in # star earlier if I cared to, but once the last hour hit it was like pulling teeth to stay above 400 points with a level 102 IM 30, level 99 Spider Man, and level 66 Doom. I ended up getting a Top 15 prize. Bastards.

I did learn that if you have to choose between going after an enemies' Spider-Man or classic Magneto, choose Magneto and hope you can finish him off before he one-shots someone with his purple attack.

I started the last hour in second place for my bracket. I ended at top 45. I was getting attacked down 20-35 points a hit while everyone I could see to attack or retaliate against would only give me 10-15. I thought my team would deter people as well or at least the massive hits at the end - 115 IM40 (5/4/3), 89 Ragnarok (3/5), 60 Doom (5/3). Oh well, I have the Green and Black abilities for the Punisher now. Just need to get some more covers so I can actually use him. I think he's going to be the next step in the logical progression: Iron Man > Thor > Wolverine > Punisher.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I made top 75 with a 3/1 lvl 30 Doom and a 1/1/0 lvl 18 Grey Widow.

Lotta skips and frantic black matching. Summon Demons does work.

E: and a terrific slacker bracket. I would have made top 45 if it weren't for constant attacks. I must have lost 90 some points in the last second.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I know the OP gives 2* Magneto an option of 5/x/x but is the blue really viable? The whole board is great, but how often do you actually get off a 13AP 4 Turn countdown ability?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Verno5x posted:

I started the last hour in second place for my bracket. I ended at top 45. I was getting attacked down 20-35 points a hit while everyone I could see to attack or retaliate against would only give me 10-15. I thought my team would deter people as well or at least the massive hits at the end - 115 IM40 (5/4/3), 89 Ragnarok (3/5), 60 Doom (5/3). Oh well, I have the Green and Black abilities for the Punisher now. Just need to get some more covers so I can actually use him. I think he's going to be the next step in the logical progression: Iron Man > Thor > Wolverine > Punisher.

I'm not sure the Punisher is really a tank worthy of surpassing Wolverine. Seems more like a harasser/support, either 5/3/5 throwing out niggling attack tiles (similar to Storm's Hailstorm, quantity over quality) or 3/5/5 for strike tiles (if not using Wolverine). A rank 5 Retribution will kill anything below 40% life no matter how much damage it does, so that's not something you have to level the guy for to pick folks off.

That said he's got a good HP pool, which is the only thing a guy like Thor has to make him a tank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got in the top 2, then had to go christmas shopping and spend quality time with the family and deal with coming in 50th. :qq:

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
I'm pretty torn as to what I should aim for in this hulk event. On one hand I could probably get 2/1/1 hulk but on the other I could get my original widow to 3/2/3. What's better to go for? I'm leaning widow because who knows if I'll ever get more hulk covers.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Jehuti posted:

I'm pretty torn as to what I should aim for in this hulk event. On one hand I could probably get 2/1/1 hulk but on the other I could get my original widow to 3/2/3. What's better to go for? I'm leaning widow because who knows if I'll ever get more hulk covers.

Hulk because they will have a pvp event buffing him and the fact they are most likely going to be throwing some cover for him to people like IM40 to keep people playing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jehuti posted:

I'd love wolverine, but I think it's unrealistic. Really 3 hulk covers is where it's at. I'm sure he's going to figure into a bunch of boosted stuff in the near future. I'm 46th right now, but there are so many days left that I have no clue if I'll just get to a point where I can't do all the missions. My highest character is a 57 spiderman, and some of these have been tough. Also, the fact that points are ramping up means it's totally unclear how much now matter vs a late push in the last couple days.

VVVVVVVVV EDIT: I got top 5 with spiderman 57/ rags 25 / widow 30. It pretty much continues to prove that spiderman is busted as poo poo. Spiderman's heal is so crazy for keeping your down time limited. However, I did get a decent amount of respect for widow's snipe. I can imagine it being decent at level 5 where you could do some decent damage to a whole team.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 23, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how did people find the three star tournament? It just made me realise how much I depend on Thor and Wolverine to quickly smash down opponents before they can do any damage. Thankfully with Spidey levelled up a fair bit now, I can afford slightly slower matches while healing up damage. Grey Widow and Dr Doom turned out to be my most reliable hitters, though it does leave the team a bit on the fragile side.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

SynthOrange posted:

So how did people find the three star tournament?

Rags + Grey Widow allowed me to finish most rounds without making a single match v:v:v

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SynthOrange posted:

I have a newfound appreciation for Grey Widow, who was probably responsible for 50% of my damage output despite never directly attacking via matches and being the lowest level of my three star team (41 Doom / 30 Spidey / 28 Widow).

I'd love to do the tournament again, only with 4 more red Ragnarok covers and 4 more blue Spidey covers.

That's all I ask for, really.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I think I was placed in a more competitive bracket because everyone with a score over 400 would immediately get crabbed the gently caress down. I was running IM40, Spidey, and Doom (all around lv. 60-80). A good advantage with this team is that it does reliably powerful damage near the end and you can usually finish a match with full health. But the lack of immediate damage-dealers (Ragnarok, Grey Suit?) on my team meant that each game took wayyyyyyy too long to finish. At the end I got crabbed down to 11th.

I really need a high level Rag or Grey Suit :(

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

So how did people find the three star tournament?.

Pretty awful, Went in with 53 Ironman, 77 Spidey (3/3/2) and 15 Grey Widow (1/2/3) and ended up with level 40 Grey Widow but all the matches I got even with massive amounts of skipping were super arduous - Ironman was my main heavy hitter which is pretty ridiculous so all I could do was plink away at the teams with a ~4k hp IM and two level 15s that I could find and still taking risky damage because matches would often go long enough for them to get a Unibeam or some level 15 attacks off. Got to around 90 points (4 wins and some being attacked) and gave up - my matchmaking was too hard for the team I could field I think.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I found out just how wonderful Classic Magneto and Grey Widow can be together. A few AP boosts at the start, a bit of luck, and I can just do what I want with the board until everything is dead. Takes a long time but it's good fun. Then Sniper Rifles and Unibeams added in to deal with the more chunky enemies. And that's with not many levels. Bit more Iso and it'll be even better next time.

Seriously, Grey Widow's Purple power is just ridiculous. Six Green tiles whereever. If there's enough greens already you can blow up half the board, then Sniper Rifle is charged and you can blow up another quarter of the board.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Phenotype posted:

I don't understand how anyone without a strong Wolverine can have enough 3-stars to play in this tournament. I have a level 35 2/2/2 Spiderman, a couple two-skill heroes I haven't put any experience into, and a bunch of level 15 one-covers. I struggled my way to the 50 point reward with Spidey, 1/0 Ragnarok, and 1/1/0 Iron Man or 0/2/1 Grey Widow and it took me triple boosts and two tries to win any fights. Meanwhile, I need two yellow Wolverine covers to max him, and I've sold off probably 6-7 extra greens and reds.

I finished 150th and got 2 Wolverine covers with my super lovely 1-cover level 15 Loki, Grey Widow and Ragnarok team :v: . I just cycled through opponents until I got someone with only two guys or one with level 15-20 guys with only 1 cover. Got 400 points around in total.

Started playing two days ago and doing pretty nicely.

Been decently lucky with my free pulls. Haven't spent a dime yet (and probably won't because how the cover system works).

Fun little game.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 23, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

HUMAN FISH posted:

I finished 150th and got 2 Wolverine covers with my super lovely 1-cover level 15 Loki, Grey Widow and Ragnarok team :v: . I just cycled through opponents until I got someone with only two guys or one with level 15-20 guys with only 1 cover. Got 400 points around in total.

Started playing two days ago and doing pretty nicely.

Been decently lucky with my free pulls. Haven't spent a dime yet (and probably won't because how the cover system works).

Fun little game.

Just don't gently caress up your Wolverine and you'll be just fine.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Currently 574th in Canada and none of the missions give any points. :iiam:

e: 1st has almost 3 times as many points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As long as I can finish in top 600 for the hulk missions, I'm happy. The powered up lottery is pretty good and has a nice narrow character set. I've been blowing my daily deals on them as well and have bulked up Spidey, Cap, Punisher already.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 23, 2013

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Largepotato posted:

Currently 574th in Canada and none of the missions give any points. :iiam:

e: 1st has almost 3 times as many points.

It's a great design for an event eh? Random chance dictates how you will finish. As long as you keep rolling badly and get *20* iso rewards you can keep earning points. Get a bad set of rolls and get all 4 rewards right in a row? Whoops! Enjoy that consolation prize.

e: VVVV I think there are two types of missions, "one and done" and then limited repeats. The missions that unlock another area seem to be you complete it once, get one of the four rewards and then it locks. The other ones seem to be repeatable until you run out of prizes to be awarded but then they lock.

On top of all that is a changing number of shields you can earn. Checking back at different times to the same mission without running it has had the shield rewards vary wildly. The only thing that seems constant there is every time you run the mission the reward value decreases, if it's low and you run it it will drop to nothing. I've also worked one down to 6 and then gone away and come back to have it be 35. Also it will drop mid-mission as well making me think it's dependent on other players behaviors.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
^^ That's not even the way it works. I've had 4 prizes in a row and still been able to score shields, but I've also had the shields run out before getting all prizes.