Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Is it bad that I couldn't tell which one was the goon player?

Also these teams are bizarrely not ou-staple based, which is pretty cool.

vvv Anything you lose to is a noob strat, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OH MY GOD! This is the same guy who bitched me out about my 'noob strats' when I out called every single swap he did then 6-0 swept him with Belly Drum Pupcake.

I still don't entirely understand what constitutes a "noob strat" but okay, that makes more sense if he has a history.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

alcharagia posted:

I still don't entirely understand what constitutes a "noob strat" but okay, that makes more sense if he has a history.

Anything that isn't SMOGON APPROVED OU: THE TEAM. NO seriously. Saw him bitching in lobby once talking about how he hated playing all these 'noobs' who don't understand pokemon and keep playing with 'bad pokemon'. Best part was as he was bitching he lost 3 separate matches in a row.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Anything that isn't SMOGON APPROVED OU: THE TEAM.

This isn't even a thing unless you just pull 6 'mons out of like top 20 in usage stats or something. The tiers don't exist for Gen VI yet.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never really got why Eelektross was considered a bad Pokemon by most "competitive Pokemon authorities" I've spoken to.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71610090

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

alcharagia posted:

I've never really got why Eelektross was considered a bad Pokemon by most "competitive Pokemon authorities" I've spoken to.

Its biggest weakness is that it's pretty slow, and it doesn't really have any resistances to speak of, aside from Ground and Electric. So its mediocre defensive stats don't go as far as they could.

drat thing is a loving MONSTER in Tier Shift or Trick Room, though.

Edit Basically, not having any weaknesses isn't as big a benefit as it could be, since he doesn't have the bulk to properly wall, or the speed to properly sweep.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 23, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

alcharagia posted:

See, this is part of the reason I'm glad to stay out of competitive pokemoning. I loving love Eelecktross, and I used him to great effect all throughout Black and Black 2.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Its biggest weakness is that it's pretty slow, and it doesn't really have any resistances to speak of, aside from Ground and Electric. So its mediocre defensive stats don't go as far as they could.

Oh, okay. That makes pretty good sense.

Aw yeah, all of my favorites continue to be varying degrees of garbage. :cool:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I have no idea how good or bad it is but you DID baton pass quiver dance onto him. I'd be surprised if he didn't put on a good show after that.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zoness posted:

This isn't even a thing unless you just pull 6 'mons out of like top 20 in usage stats or something. The tiers don't exist for Gen VI yet.

Tiers aren't out but players in general (not exclusive to just Pokemon) will just gravitate to using whatever is popular at moment, and these will be considered the main players as of right now. Why go about finding that if I dunno Durant is secretly the best Pokemon this generation when you can just use things like Rotom-W, Aegislash, & Talonflame and get wins the easy way.

Velcro Crucifix
Oct 7, 2013

Annath posted:

I gotta ask, what's the quote from?

It's from the play Frogs by Aristophanes. The quote is from the titular frogs singing at Dionysus!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Shogunate posted:

Tiers aren't out but players in general (not exclusive to just Pokemon) will just gravitate to using whatever is popular at moment, and these will be considered the main players as of right now. Why go about finding that if I dunno Durant is secretly the best Pokemon this generation when you can just use things like Rotom-W, Aegislash, & Talonflame and get wins the easy way.

Because it's really easy to build teams to beat that common core. Granted, anti-[strategy] has always been my main teambuilding approach so v:shobon:v.

Also I blame Talonflame for making Rotom-W even more popular than it already would be. Also I find Aegislash to really not be threatening and actually somewhat uncommon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zoness posted:

Because it's really easy to build teams to beat that common core. Granted, anti-[strategy] has always been my main teambuilding approach so v:shobon:v.

Also I blame Talonflame for making Rotom-W even more popular than it already would be. Also I find Aegislash to really not be threatening and actually somewhat uncommon.

The good thing is, come pokebank I'll never have to deal with them again. Enjoy OU Bird and Sword. I'll be down in UU having the real fun :getin:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The good thing is, come pokebank I'll never have to deal with them again. Enjoy OU Bird and Sword. I'll be down in UU having the real fun :getin:

I really hope Ninetales doesn't drop. I don't want to have to deal with a Victini V-Create that 2HKOes Slowbro and Suicune after Stealth Rock.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

I really hope Ninetales doesn't drop. I don't want to have to deal with a Victini V-Create that 2HKOes Slowbro and Suicune after Stealth Rock.

Ninetales is probably going to get less and less popular as Charizard Y sees more usage. Also, smogon has weather set clauses so if they had to they could ban V-Create and drought on the same team or something.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If I have learned one thing from competitive Pokemon it's that proper usage of a Venomoth gets you places.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71621630

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

Ninetales is probably going to get less and less popular as Charizard Y sees more usage. Also, smogon has weather set clauses so if they had to they could ban V-Create and drought on the same team or something.

They wouldn't do that since Victini would be the only pokemon in the tier with V-Create so they would just ban Victini. This is assuming that Ninetales doesn't get banned, though, which is definitely a possibility depending on what else drops.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gallant is much too polite to resist enemy status ailments.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71620717

Goofus gives no fucks.

edit:I predicted the poo poo out of that close combat, too. I think I'm getting better at this!

It's nice to know that I have a method of [very slowly] countering the very bullshit strategy that I myself have been using today.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 23, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Everything being 3D is so hard to get used to.

If I'm playing X and I want the kickin' rad Y-shaped Bird instead of the dumb fairy Pokemon, how hard is it likely to be to get one?

Also are Black2/White2 worth playing?

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

If I'm playing X and I want the kickin' rad Y-shaped Bird instead of the dumb fairy Pokemon, how hard is it likely to be to get one?

If you don't care about IVs or nature people are always trading Xerneas for Yveltal on GTS (online trade). Otherwise you have to own a copy of Y.

BW2 are probably not worth it now unless you want the legendaries.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I just had a 65 round slog in ranked doubles.

GU6G-WWWW-WWW3-T8H7

Involving a Trick Room Meowstick, so Shuckle could Guard Swap to an Eviolite Chansey with Minimize/Soft Boiled/Seismic Toss/Toxic. :suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

It ended up with those moves against my Mega Gengar with Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Disable/Substitute. Dazzling Gleam did about 4%, assuming it hit through all the minimizes. We just mashed buttons to see who would Struggle first. I won, if you can call it winning. poo poo like this is why evasion boosting is usually banned.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So after about a dozen battles on wi-fi rating, i'm noticing a pattern: Chesnaught and Metagross are getting me slaughtered. Here's my team for context:

Naughty Charizard w/Charizardite X(tough claws)
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Earthquake

Jolly Gyarados w/Focus Band(Intimidate)
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Modest Hydreigon w/Leftovers(Levitate)
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Timid Heliolisk w/Zap Plate(Dry Skin)
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Surf
- Dark Pulse

Relaxed Chesnaught w/Rocky Helmet(Overgrow)
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw

Adamant Metagross w/Iron Plate(Clear Body)
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Hadbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

So what are good alternatives?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

TaurusOxford posted:

So after about a dozen battles on wi-fi rating, i'm noticing a pattern: Chesnaught and Metagross are getting me slaughtered. Here's my team for context:

Naughty Charizard w/Charizardite X(tough claws)
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Earthquake

Jolly Gyarados w/Focus Band(Intimidate)
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Modest Hydreigon w/Leftovers(Levitate)
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Timid Heliolisk w/Zap Plate(Dry Skin)
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Surf
- Dark Pulse

Relaxed Chesnaught w/Rocky Helmet(Overgrow)
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw

Adamant Metagross w/Iron Plate(Clear Body)
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Hadbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

So what are good alternatives?

Metagross has two new crippling weaknesses this generation. He was great before, but being weak to one of the two most common attacking types around right now, especially with only 3 Pokemon on your squad, is just a massive nerf. Also just pick Breloom instead of Chesnaught

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The nerf to steel really blows, idg why they removed two of its best resistances. Maybe they thought a super effective against fairy was enough to make up for it or something stupid. Either way, if anyone needs a sick mega its metagross. If he just got a good ability :smith:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Metagross is my favorite Pokemon but in teams of 3 he's actually a crippling liability. He can't boost his own stats, and people don't even really bother with stat-lowering moves much anyways. He has no recovery, and only one semi-good priority move.

Also, two of the most popular/best Fairies around right now, Mawile and Klefi, absolutely own Metagross one-on-one. Hell, even MKhangaskhan with Sucker Punch demolishes the poor guy.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

alcharagia posted:

If I have learned one thing from competitive Pokemon it's that proper usage of a Venomoth gets you places.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71621630

To be fair your opponent had no idea what he was doing. That wobbuffet could have done so much more than spam mirror coat against a barnacle.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The nerf to steel really blows, idg why they removed two of its best resistances. Maybe they thought a super effective against fairy was enough to make up for it or something stupid. Either way, if anyone needs a sick mega its metagross. If he just got a good ability :smith:

At least the best steel type still resists ghost and dark (it's bisharp)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Nihilarian posted:

I have no idea how good or bad it is but you DID baton pass quiver dance onto him. I'd be surprised if he didn't put on a good show after that.

Psssh Baton Passing Quiver Dance? The real pro move is Baton Passing Geomancies.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-71649964

Also the Scald on the Gyarados was a misclick.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2013

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Anatharon posted:

Somebody gave me a Xerneas for the 5IV Timid Protean Froakie I put up on the GTS today. The Froakie was a bit of a pain to obtain but at least it was something I can get more than one of if I put in the effort. So, a Yeveltal is probably within your reach if you do some a lot of breeding.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm kinda terrible at pokemon but Exeggutor and Sigilyph is pretty awesome.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-71649841

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The worst thing about Metagross is that on top of gaining two new weaknesses Meteor Mash got nerfed. It now only has 90 power to go along with its bad accuracy.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm kinda terrible at pokemon but Exeggutor and Sigilyph is pretty awesome.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-71649841

One time on the first turn of a battle, someone swapped whatever they had for an Exeggutor while I had my Galvantula out. I thought some sort of crazy new meta strategy was about to explode to life before my eyes, but no it just got OHKO'd by Bug Buzz. For some reason I was really, really sad to find out that the guy was just bad at Pokemon and did not, in fact, intend to blow my mind.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Steel was way too good though, making is resist fairy on top of its old resists would of been absurd. Its still a great type, steel/psychic just got hit particularly hard by the nerf since it picked up two weakness from it.

PSWII60 posted:

I just had a 65 round slog in ranked doubles.

GU6G-WWWW-WWW3-T8H7

Involving a Trick Room Meowstick, so Shuckle could Guard Swap to an Eviolite Chansey with Minimize/Soft Boiled/Seismic Toss/Toxic. :suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

It ended up with those moves against my Mega Gengar with Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Disable/Substitute. Dazzling Gleam did about 4%, assuming it hit through all the minimizes. We just mashed buttons to see who would Struggle first. I won, if you can call it winning. poo poo like this is why evasion boosting is usually banned.

Really don't get how people can run stuff like this and have fun. Even if you win it sounds miserable to play.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
It's not terribly reliable, but Unburden Slurpuff has to be my favorite sweeper ever.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-71663482

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The biggest problem I've encountered with using that Slurpuff set is anyone who knows what it's about to do just won't let it set up. You don't actually have to OHKO it because if you hit it hard enough it just does the rest for you, and even if you don't quite get it you probably still put it in range of a priority move once it belly drums. Plus any steel type that isn't 4x weak to fire and/or has Bullet Punch just ends it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay follow-up question about Ability Capsules. If a Pokemon already has a hidden ability can you use them to change.it to one of the normal ones? And is there any way to pick which one?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Okay follow-up question about Ability Capsules. If a Pokemon already has a hidden ability can you use them to change.it to one of the normal ones? And is there any way to pick which one?

No.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Taser Gator posted:

If you don't care about IVs or nature people are always trading Xerneas for Yveltal on GTS (online trade). Otherwise you have to own a copy of Y.

BW2 are probably not worth it now unless you want the legendaries.

Awesome. If I really deeply cared about natures frankly I'd just use a save editor. Yveltal I just like for looking cool. It's how I picked my Pokemon in Blue, its how I pick 'em now. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm gonna go against the grain here, and say that B2/W2 are definitely still worth playing. If you don't mind that the plot is garbage, they're the best Pokemon game in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yeah B2/W2 have the largest variety of pre-E4 pokemon and the biggest post-game, if you don't mind a dumb plot in your Videogame For Children they're really good.

• Locked thread