Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is this stupid bullshit is going to ruin so many peoples' Christmas. God drat it GQ, couldn't you have published this in January when nobody gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

pacerhimself posted:

All I know is this stupid bullshit is going to ruin so many peoples' Christmas. God drat it GQ, couldn't you have published this in January when nobody gives a poo poo.

Don't get between a companies desire to make money. Likewise, similar criticism to people saying that A&E should suspend Phil.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The timing was intentional to maximize the merch-sale bump.

In Sarah Palin's book doesn't she talk about buying Todd a handgun for Christmas last year as a response to Newtown? This is the target demographic.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ErIog posted:

This Duck Dynasty poo poo is a loving PR bloodbath right now, it's not surprising people would want to avoid getting caught in the crossfire.

Except Cracker Barrel, who apparently caved when the wingnuts started screaming.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I am loving losing my mind at the people cannot understand how this incident was not an issue of freedom of speech. Is there any good breakdown that explains freedom speech in relation to this incident that doesn't address the content of Phil's comments? I've been trying to explain this and people just cannot get past the idea that this was a an assault on his conservative views by liberals at A&E. Somehow the decision to put him back in episodes was not motivated at all by the bottom line.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt that anyone whining about A&E's decision actually cares about free speech, or at least about this guy's free speech in the abstract. It's 100% "we don't like gay people and support anyone who's homophobic."

That being said, you could mention right to work laws, or ask them if what they would do if they owned a business and had an employee who kept insulting customers. Free speech doesn't protect a waiter who calls every customer a dumbass from being sent home, right?

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

ReidRansom posted:

Except Cracker Barrel, who apparently caved when the wingnuts started screaming.

Was just gonna post this.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

That being said, you could mention right to work laws, or ask them if what they would do if they owned a business and had an employee who kept insulting customers. Free speech doesn't protect a waiter who calls every customer a dumbass from being sent home, right?

Then they can point out the waiter wasn't doing his job (since they could be considered hospitality staff) - make it about unionization instead - by their logic someone trying to organize a collective bargaining structure should be immune from employer reprisal. I would love to see the Tea Party wind up making this possible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RetroHelix posted:

I thought Cracker Barrel hated gays anyway?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"We respect all individuals right(s) to express their beliefs" says the store that discriminates against gay people and once issued a memo that employees must demonstrate "normal heterosexual values" or be fired.

McDowell posted:

Then they can point out the waiter wasn't doing his job (since they could be considered hospitality staff) - make it about unionization instead - by their logic someone trying to organize a collective bargaining structure should be immune from employer reprisal. I would love to see the Tea Party wind up making this possible.

Ha, good point.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

RetroHelix posted:

"We apologize for offending you." :suicide:

Also I don't think anyone mentioned how that nationalreview article said:

quote:

“We believe the next step is to use this as an opportunity for Phil to sit down with gay families in Louisiana and learn about their lives and the values they share,” the spokesman said.

Actually, “the next step” is for you thugs to push off and stop targeting, threatening and making demands of those who happen to disagree with you. Personally, I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for the GLAAD executive board to sit down with half-a-dozen firebreathing imams and learn about their values, but, unlike the Commissars of the Bureau of Conformity Enforcement, I accord even condescending little ticks like the one above the freedom to arrange his own social calendar. Unfortunately, GLAAD has had some success with this strategy, prevailing upon, for example, the Hollywood director Brett Ratner to submit to GLAAD re-education camp until he had eaten sufficient gay crow to be formally rehabilitated with a GLAAD “Ally” award.

I know it was meant as a comparison of how gay people were so astronomically offensive to the christians, much like militant islamists to normal americans :shrug: but I couldnt help but draw a humourous unintentional comparison of psychotic right-winters to islamic fundamentalists.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 23, 2013

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
If you're the kind of person that honestly enjoys eating at cracker barrel you are 100% an rear end in a top hat. Cracker Barrel is a restaurant that specializes in home cooked style meals. There are loving people that enjoy going OUT to a restaurant so they can eat food like they were still at home. Cracker Barrel's menu has a section called "Fancy Fixins" and the first thing on that menu is meatloaf and macaroni and cheese.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

^^^ I've been once for I don't recall what reason, and it was bland and bad. Southern home style cooking can be really good, but Cracker Barrel is not.

RetroHelix posted:

The whole thing is still hilarious because as I understand it the crazy people are all avoiding Duck Dynasty branded stuff anyhow as it's owned by A&E.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 23, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The thing that kills me is how so many right wingers around me who are not culturally redneck in any way, not particularly homophobic so far as I can tell and not really Bible thumpers (graduate educated six figure earners) have also latched onto the Duck Dynasty crap (and the Chick-Fil-A crap before it), seemingly not so much in support of what "Phil" had to say but supporting someone on their tribe or team.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Zwabu posted:

The thing that kills me is how so many right wingers around me who are not culturally redneck in any way, not particularly homophobic so far as I can tell and not really Bible thumpers (graduate educated six figure earners) have also latched onto the Duck Dynasty crap (and the Chick-Fil-A crap before it), seemingly not so much in support of what "Phil" had to say but supporting someone on their tribe or team.

It's because that's the point. There's no substance to any of this noise. It's simply a dog-whistle meant to drive you into a rage if you identify as a white, Christian patriot. And if you are what you claim to be, surely you disagree with that black, Muslim African in the White House and must do everything in your power to stop him and the countless tentacles of his agenda that threaten to strangle YOUR heritage, culture, ideals, etc.

It's designed to feed on fear and anger. It almost has to be nonsense by design.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

If you're the kind of person that honestly enjoys eating at cracker barrel you are 100% an rear end in a top hat. Cracker Barrel is a restaurant that specializes in home cooked style meals. There are loving people that enjoy going OUT to a restaurant so they can eat food like they were still at home. Cracker Barrel's menu has a section called "Fancy Fixins" and the first thing on that menu is meatloaf and macaroni and cheese.

In defense of Cracker Barrel, my dad travels on the road, and he gave me three restaurants in regards to eating at places that won't upset your stomach:

-McDonalds
-Bob Evans
-Cracker Barrel

He said he's yet to get sick after eating at any of those places (He's been a traveling sales rep for 29 years). So it's a good place to go in the event you don't trust any other place to eat, and you have to travel a lot.

I also see nothing wrong with enjoying a "home cooked" style meal, if, IF..you've been on the road for quite a long time/don't have time to prepare a meal for yourself.

(their anti-gay policies, and this turnabout are inexcusable though)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FuzzySkinner posted:

In defense of Cracker Barrel, my dad travels on the road, and he gave me three restaurants in regards to eating at places that won't upset your stomach:

-McDonalds
-Bob Evans
-Cracker Barrel

He said he's yet to get sick after eating at any of those places (He's been a traveling sales rep for 29 years). So it's a good place to go in the event you don't trust any other place to eat, and you have to travel a lot.

I also see nothing wrong with enjoying a "home cooked" style meal, if, IF..you've been on the road for quite a long time/don't have time to prepare a meal for yourself.

(their anti-gay policies, and this turnabout are inexcusable though)

Similarly, in the past my family and I did a bunch of cross-country drives and when you have a whole family in the car and your stop for the night is Podunk, Nowhere you may end up settling for one just because it's a known quantity. That said, we had no idea that they were such shitheads at the time.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm a pretty liberal dude living in Michigan but that doesn't mean I won't destroy me a country fried steak when given the chance.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Cracker Barrel's clientele is 99% traveling seniors half-way through their 18 hour drive to see the grandkids. The Cracker Barrel in my city is right next to the interstate where it shares a parking lot with a motel. That's why you have to squeeze past shelves of candies and cheap vintage toys to get to the hostess. It's a tourist trap for old people.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Cracker Barrel is Southern poverty food without pride, clever innovation, or the secret arts of the redneck mystery cults.

Most of their money comes from rocking chairs bought by German tourists.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wish there were more figures within churches across the country that would be willing to stand up against people like Phil Robertson and his supporters.

It wouldn't certainly shut up quite a few of the bible thumpers to be told they're focusing their efforts on trivial bullshit, and told that Jesus wouldn't be accepting of their behavior.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FuzzySkinner posted:

-McDonalds
-Bob Evans
-Cracker Barrel

I'll give him McDonalds. Food in developing countries can lead to GI distress. Hell, if you aren't used to them, foreign spices can cause trouble.

But I've never seen a Bob Evans or a Cracker Barrel outside of the US. I travel a lot for a living and the kind of people who like Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel like that kind of white people food. That's cool, that is part of their appeal. But let's not pretend it is anything other than that.

I mean, lemme guess, he's the kinda guy who is super-stoked about Fogo de Chao, right? I don't mean that in a bad way, just "Larry the Cable Guy" calling it like it is.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Hey, NY just got it's first Fogo de Chao like this week. Give us a chance!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I'll give him McDonalds. Food in developing countries can lead to GI distress. Hell, if you aren't used to them, foreign spices can cause trouble.

But I've never seen a Bob Evans or a Cracker Barrel outside of the US. I travel a lot for a living and the kind of people who like Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel like that kind of white people food. That's cool, that is part of their appeal. But let's not pretend it is anything other than that.

I mean, lemme guess, he's the kinda guy who is super-stoked about Fogo de Chao, right? I don't mean that in a bad way, just "Larry the Cable Guy" calling it like it is.

Actually no.

He's been to France, Romania, Germany, England, Mexico, Japan and tried native dishes at every place (with help from his clients/friends of course). I've also ate Indian food with him and his Indian friend (cool guy).

He'll be conservative sometimes, other times he'll brag about trying some new dish at a place at a non-chain restaurant. That's just the advice he gave me re: traveling the interstate.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, he claims to have eaten at Bob Evans and Cracker Barrels outside of the US?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Where are you seeing the stuff about Cracker Barrel outside the States?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Listerine posted:

I am loving losing my mind at the people cannot understand how this incident was not an issue of freedom of speech. Is there any good breakdown that explains freedom speech in relation to this incident that doesn't address the content of Phil's comments? I've been trying to explain this and people just cannot get past the idea that this was a an assault on his conservative views by liberals at A&E. Somehow the decision to put him back in episodes was not motivated at all by the bottom line.

It's not a freedom of speech issue, they're just mad that people who disagree with them are allowed to voice their views publicly and have majority support. They just won't admit it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

joeburz posted:

"We apologize for offending you." :suicide:

You'd think that, at least one of the times like these, someone would have the personal integrity to admit that they don't actually care about having offended someone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Who is Steve Deace, and why did he tag this article "Palin" when she isn't referred to once?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/12/19/duck-dynasty-bible-religion-palin-robertson-column/4124181/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

I agree this is a super pressing issue.

(He never said 'outside the US', you're sperging).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shbobdb posted:

"my dad travels on the road" means that he is traveling within the US on the road. One of the big problems (particularly before yelp) is finding somewhere to eat, particularly if you're on the move so getting the trots is an even bigger problem.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

And worst of all they use frozen okra. I mean for gently caress's sake have at least a shred of dignity.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
See his reply :smug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
People eat garbage, surprise. But I feel as though any business that gets embroiled in these controversies one way or the other is bound to be full of shitheads. If Cracker Barrel says "man, we didn't mean to offend the shitheads that are a huge part of our customer base" they're giving me some very welcome advance notice that I don't need to be in there.

It's as though white conservatives do nothing but purchase housewares and craft materials and eat bland food. I'm frightened by this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

See his reply :smug:

This reply?

I was helpful and bolded the important part.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Actually no.

He's been to France, Romania, Germany, England, Mexico, Japan and tried native dishes at every place (with help from his clients/friends of course). I've also ate Indian food with him and his Indian friend (cool guy).

He'll be conservative sometimes, other times he'll brag about trying some new dish at a place at a non-chain restaurant. That's just the advice he gave me re: traveling the interstate.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Meh, I'll admit I didn't bother reading after I got the whole, "He has black friends" defense. But thanks for bolding the buried lede.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Meh, I'll admit I didn't bother reading after I got the whole, "He has black friends" defense. But thanks for bolding the buried lede.

What in the gently caress are you talking about? You're being a giant dipshit and completely misreading everything. Quit while you're behind.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Nah man, my daddy totally eats good food too!"

He is trying to defend his shitlord dad who eats literal garbage and says that it is the only thing that doesn't make him sick. Have you ever eaten at a Bob Evans or a Cracker Barrel? That poo poo is a culinary holocaust.

But no, keep defending the dude who is trying to say those places are the kinds of places that won't get you sick. It's cool.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I was visiting some college friends and we went to cracker barrel spontaneously. Sorry that I'm an rear end in a top hat I guess :shrug:

Shbobdb posted:

But no, keep defending the dude who is trying to say those places are the kinds of places that won't get you sick. It's cool.
The dude said that the food wont make you violently ill. This is what you're angry about.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not siding with Shbobdb or anything because he's being kind of an rear end in a top hat about it, but you can definitely get sick from eating McDonald's? Maybe it's just because I live in godless Portland but due to the availability of so many other, better options I only eat at fast food chains anywhere between weeks and months apart. I noticed if I go too long my body will actively reject that poo poo, and I can actually become somewhat nauseous when eating it.

Because, you know, I want to perpetuate another classic D&D food detail :shobon: