Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

"WAIT, HOW OLD AM I NOW?"

I love this manga.

It's very very good. I'm both proud and loving sad I started it when it had like 3 chapters out cuz gently caress it'd be nice to have a monsterous complete series to read instead of chapter by chapter for 5 + years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

It's very very good. I'm both proud and loving sad I started it when it had like 3 chapters out cuz gently caress it'd be nice to have a monsterous complete series to read instead of chapter by chapter for 5 + years

I recently found the first volume at the library (hardcover, it's really nice), because apparently VS actually got licensed at some point, and read a bit of that. MAN you forget after years and years of serialization how some of that early stuff really comes around, like how the whole "a true warrior needs no swords" thing was something Thors said.

Or this little gem.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

"WAIT, HOW OLD AM I NOW?"

I love this manga.

In all seriousness, how old is Thorfinn now?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I recently found the first volume at the library (hardcover, it's really nice), because apparently VS actually got licensed at some point, and read a bit of that. MAN you forget after years and years of serialization how some of that early stuff really comes around, like how the whole "a true warrior needs no swords" thing was something Thors said.

Or this little gem.

Looks like the licensing was only recent, with the first volume released in October. I've been waiting for a way to get my hands on a physical copy of this for some time, this is welcome news!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Or this little gem.

Yeah, I just read back through it last month or so. It really incredible. Monthly the farm arc feels long but it passes like a flash.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JosephWongKS posted:

In all seriousness, how old is Thorfinn now?

He said he was 6 when he left in 1002, so 22ish.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Rodyle posted:

Yeah the series did an exemplary job of establishing its premise and sticking to it. For anyone who forgot what Vinland Saga is about, go back and read chapter 4.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just caught up with volume 27 of Kingdom.

Where did Chu manage to find an 8 foot Romulan?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Would you say he's the.... Peak o' Chu?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

Would you say he's the.... Peak o' Chu?

He? :what:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kigndom has taught me that ancient Chinese militaries selected their leadership like the aliens from Invader Zim.

AceofOpus
Dec 18, 2013
With the money I got from the holidays I will be picking up the first volume Vinland Saga and A Bride's Story. I am really excited as between my friends and scrolling through this thread I know I will probably enjoy both of these and probably continue to buy new volumes for a long while.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just marathoned Vinland Saga, totally owns. This current Thorfinn is so much better than anime knives Thorfinn. It's a very interesting take the difficulties of actual, put yourself in the line of fire pacifism instead of Kira Yamato/Ruroni Kenshin style break everyone else's guns and swords first pacifism.

One thing I've heard mentioned is, it's difficult to make an anti-war movie, as the action scenes are always going to gee whiz awesome. So the solution is to make the pacifism scenes even more badass.

One thing I've noticed, is that the mangaka really loves using giant sparkly anime eyes as a metaphor for inner peace. And it was specifically mentioned this last chapter. Knives Thorfinn has the same eyes as Macbeth Canute, while Slave Thorfinn has the same eyes as Canute the Kind.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Someone posted this in another thread and it's pretty cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Just marathoned Vinland Saga, totally owns. This current Thorfinn is so much better than anime knives Thorfinn. It's a very interesting take the difficulties of actual, put yourself in the line of fire pacifism instead of Kira Yamato/Ruroni Kenshin style break everyone else's guns and swords first pacifism.

The funny thing about Kenshin's pacifism is that his reversed sword would still kill the gently caress out of people; he's hitting people with a long metal bar.

As others have mentioned, I hope that they don't present his current style of pacifism as the best option and they he ends up having to take an approach similar to his father, where he still fights if necessary but tries to avoid doing so.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Stratocracy of Altair, this time introducing Transwitzerlania. I really like the tiny details that make each of the countries so unique.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

pentyne posted:

The Russians are arming some tribes and encouraging them to wage war on others and wipe them out. Obviously the Russians will then come in armed with much better weapons and wipe out the scattered remainders.
What if there is a suprise twist, and the current war turns out to be the 10th or 12th Russian/Ottoman war, instead of the 11th? Then western Europe supports Russia. Would that switch your sympathies?

Sorry for pulling this out from a while back but I just wanted to point out that this is set during the time of the Great Game. That's one of the reasons I was rather interested to see the latest developments. It has already been hinted at pretty strongly that Mr Smith is one of the English agents in the area and now we're seeing some of the moves the Russians are making.

People have been talking about favourite bits of history and the Great Game and the areas it happened in is one of mine. It is also very nice to see it handled from the viewpoint of the local people involved rather than most books which tend to focus more on the accounts of the people from the great powers involved.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

People have been talking about favourite bits of history and the Great Game and the areas it happened in is one of mine. It is also very nice to see it handled from the viewpoint of the local people involved rather than most books which tend to focus more on the accounts of the people from the great powers involved.

Fascinating! I'm not very educated about this era. Could you tell us more about what was happening in Central Asia at the time?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 4, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Fascinating! I'm not very educated about this era. Could you tell us more about what was happening in Central Asia at the time?

The Great Game is kind of a cluster gently caress and impossible to tell in brief. It was a very complex and unusual proxy war / imperialist race that lasted eighty plus years and involved all of Central Asia at once point or another.

Here's a decent book on the subject, though I have to point out that it has a very heavy UK-lean to its story; pretty much all Great Game works have a political lean one way or another, though it's not helped by the fact that it basically ended with the Russian Revolution meaning a lot of the Russian's side simply got lost in the upheaval.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zorak posted:

The Great Game is kind of a cluster gently caress and impossible to tell in brief. It was a very complex and unusual proxy war / imperialist race that lasted eighty plus years and involved all of Central Asia at once point or another.

Here's a decent book on the subject, though I have to point out that it has a very heavy UK-lean to its story; pretty much all Great Game works have a political lean one way or another, though it's not helped by the fact that it basically ended with the Russian Revolution meaning a lot of the Russian's side simply got lost in the upheaval.

Yeah, that's the best quick summation to give. I also really need to re-read that book...

What I would add though is what was seen to be at play. The British took the Russian moves in that area very seriously as they saw Russian expansion there as a possible threat to India.

The other thing I'd add is that in the area we seem to be covering in the manga (near the Caspian) the Russians are definitely the dominant force. Most of the states around there end up as Russian puppets. On that note, that's just going by my impressions. Have we got any more solid location detail?

Anyway, I'd be more than happy if it doesn't go into the Great Game too much and we keep getting the slice of life stuff and beautiful detailing that got me hooked on this manga but I am glad that the setting and the background to it is another one of these really interesting places and periods.

Munin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 5, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing about Kenshin's pacifism is that his reversed sword would still kill the gently caress out of people; he's hitting people with a long metal bar.

Yeah, I think the Kenshin prequel OVA "Trust & Betrayal" was the first anime I ever saw and remains in my opinion the best. I saw the actual series later and was like :what:
The original manga was pretty good despite that though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
New Otoyome: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/217929/otoyomegatari_v6_ch35_by_duralumin

Don't gently caress with grandma.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyome 35 and Gunka no Balzer 19

Well, looks like we're through with this bit in Otoyome. Too bad Father got chumped too, but I guess it's in line with the rest of how things went. No more bad guys, nice and tidy, and all our precious little babes and dreamboats are a-ok! Bring on the mushy stuff I guess

Munin posted:

It has already been hinted at pretty strongly that Mr Smith is one of the English agents in the area and now we're seeing some of the moves the Russians are making.

He was held under suspicion, but I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that he's just here for research? At least, that's what he said, I guess you'd have to take his word for it but I don't think I saw much pointing to him being anything but some nerd.

Munin posted:

Have we got any more solid location detail?

I don't think we have anything from the author's mouth, but this guy has a neat blog comparing Mori's artwork to lots of real life references, the majority of which (for Amir and company, at least) seem to come out of Uzbek regions.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

He was held under suspicion, but I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that he's just here for research? At least, that's what he said, I guess you'd have to take his word for it but I don't think I saw much pointing to him being anything but some nerd.

He said that but the thing is: everyone in that area during that time was involved in the Game somehow.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
A new chapter of Otoyomegatari is up!

http://mangafox.me/manga/otoyomegatari/v06/c035/1.html

Let me just say, that I am goddamn satisfied with this one. :allears:

DUMB EDIT: Wow, I was late.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyome 35 and Gunka no Balzer 19

Well, looks like we're through with this bit in Otoyome. Too bad Father got chumped too, but I guess it's in line with the rest of how things went. No more bad guys, nice and tidy, and all our precious little babes and dreamboats are a-ok! Bring on the mushy stuff I guess

The end note points very firmly to a mushy stuff return.

I can't not add: Best Grandma

I liked the action sequences in the last few chapters but I agree that they were not pulled off with the same flair as the slice of life segments. There were several excellent set pieces but the overall battle doesn't quite hang together. It doesn't feel as if it is happening in the village but in a space the properties of which adjust to the need of the panel at hand. Where did all the artillery the villagers have come from anyway...

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Even if he was "just here for research" I am sure his dispatches are being read with interest by some people back home. There is his sudden popularity just as things start to heat up too (though that falls squarely under speculation). Anyway, even if he isn't explicitly involved right now he will be whether he wants to or not in short order I imagine.

In that area you didn't have too many British troops traipsing around ever but plenty of individual spies and diplomats. Several of whom met sticky ends.

As an aside, I have been re-reading the chapter's around the departure of Mr Smith and it was nice seeing the excellent embroidery section (along with the family history) in chapter 10.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I don't think we have anything from the author's mouth, but this guy has a neat blog comparing Mori's artwork to lots of real life references, the majority of which (for Amir and company, at least) seem to come out of Uzbek regions.

That's a nifty blog. Thank you very much for linking it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Munin posted:

There were several excellent set pieces but the overall battle doesn't quite hang together. It doesn't feel as if it is happening in the village but in a space the properties of which adjust to the need of the panel at hand. Where did all the artillery the villagers have come from anyway...
I was honestly surprised government troops? or whatever they were actually showed up, even if they were sorta late for it (not by much though). Didn't seem like the sort of setting where you could depend on some sort of more centralized outside backup showing up in uniforms to save you.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

I really wish the releases for this series weren't basically "eh, whenever we feel like it" since they're going off of tankobon scans. Also because stuff keeps picking up with each chapter and it gets frustrating having to wait like three or four months inbetween releases.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

drat right.

So, is it Amir or Amira? Did I miss some kind of actual name change or is it just a translator thing?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

drat right.

So, is it Amir or Amira? Did I miss some kind of actual name change or is it just a translator thing?

Translator thing. When it was licensed the official translation used "Amir" so the fan translations changed to follow suit.

"Amir" is the more correct translation, but it's usually a guy's name, so I think whoever worked on it before might have just gotten confused.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Both are equivalent, just that Amira is technically the feminine form. Except the masculine form is sometimes used for women too so :iiam:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Well, at least now I know it's not a deliberate name change as part of a plot point. It's just odd to me because I definitely read Amir as masculine, so every time I see her name now I twitch just a little bit, heh.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Starting reading Kingdom where I left it off at chapter 293.

I think I must have missed something earlier, or just forgotten, when did Qi betray the alliance?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Charlz Guybon posted:

Starting reading Kingdom where I left it off at chapter 293.

I think I must have missed something earlier, or just forgotten, when did Qi betray the alliance?
Before the armies even arrived. They got bought off to go home.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
The raw for the latest Vinland is out, now we just have to wait for hox the '4chan' scanlator to do his thing.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Is there a single (good) manga about European history that isn't Farmland saga. Thanks in advance.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

swamp izzo posted:

Is there a single (good) manga about European history that isn't Farmland saga. Thanks in advance.
Historie mostly takes place in Europe, if classical Macedonia is of interest at all. Cesare is also quite good (though I fell behind a year or so ago).

... So basically the thread title minus Otoyomegatari, now that I think about it.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Emma is by the same author as Otoyomegatari and is set in Victorian England. It's a romance manga. A maid and a member of the upper class fall in love, but the social mores of the time stand in their way. It has the same sort of slice-of-life style as Otoyomegatari.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Gunka no Baltzar's great if you don't mind the fact it uses fictional countries (while still being explicitly set in Europe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I just marathon'd both volumes of Thermae Romae that is released and holy crap it's amazing. Got the third volume pre-ordered already. Also would anyone suggest Wolfsmund?