Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Edward_Lapine posted:

I found this aggravating coming from a piano playing/music theory background. I wish there was more info regarding actual notes and traditional music theory rather than just tabs. I feel it would be another much needed facet in learning how to play not just a guitar/bass but any instrument. But this is really nitpicking.

Unfortunately tabs is what the vast majority of people picking up guitar think learning music is. Theory is a dull mind-breaking diversion from doing what they want to do. Which is fine, because it's pretty motivating to be able to play one's favorite songs.

Rocksmith is just a stepping stone.. it gets people past the "I could never play" hump and thinking that maybe it's not as hard as they thought it was. If they stick with it the desire to learn actual theory will eventually show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

I played rocksmith for the first time yesterday after working with justinguitar for a few days. They dont seeem to lend to working together very well initially. Justin teaches you chords and has you play songs with them. Rocmsmith at least initially has you flying all over the fretboard to pick individual strings. I am presuming they are probably the root notes for chords that will be added later or cherrypicked lines from a riff that makes up a variation of a scale.

I ended up just continuing my justin exercises and using the game as a 60$ amp emulator. Does it even out eventually? While I understand what the game is trying to get you to do it seems like justin has a much better pedagogy than rocksmith in that songs are made up of chords and scales (with the former being made up of the later) so it makes more sense to me to practice that than trying to figure out what fret I am on to pluck a single string.

I played trumpet (at a mediocre level) for 7 years (havent touched it in 5) so I might be jaded from my experience with a more classically minded musical education.

If you just started doing Justin Guitar you're gonna be learning the A, E, and D chords. Check out the rhythm section of 'Rebel, Rebel' and 'Can't get no satisfaction'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Justin is really providing a structured guitar course - it starts from the basics, gives you the initial building blocks to work with and some different exercises to get those things down, and when you're ready the next sections will build on what you've already learned. He's covering technique and focusing on areas you might have trouble with, so you develop good habits from the beginning. Same with his ear-training lessons that are mixed in - you start early and develop a broad skillset, and you don't run into the harder stuff before you have the fundamentals down. It's like any good training course, basically.

The flipside of this is that you... start off with basic stuff. You don't have to play baa baa black sheep necessarily, but a lot of people want to skip ahead to the fun stuff, and that's what Rocksmith is. They're really two different approaches, and you can get where you want to be with both, but one focuses more on immediate gratification and results, and the other focuses on getting good all-round.

My advice would be to follow Justin for actual practice time - practice is sitting down and focusing on doing things correctly, like playing a scale over and over or switching chords with perfect timing. Spending a little time working your hands and brain, building muscle memory and developing accurate technique. It's like any physical or mental training, you practice the core activities and then you put them into use doing stuff later.

So Justin for practice time, and Rocksmith for fun playing time. Gradually the two will start to mesh as things overlap, and ideally your technique practice will be at the point where you can correct the issues you developed from just diving in. I learned from tabs, so I've been there

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Edward_Lapine posted:

I found this aggravating coming from a piano playing/music theory background. I wish there was more info regarding actual notes and traditional music theory rather than just tabs. I feel it would be another much needed facet in learning how to play not just a guitar/bass but any instrument. But this is really nitpicking.

Learn and Master Guitar gives you sheet music to play from lesson two and onwards. Personally, I like having several different approaches to mix and match from.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So uhh, the game is not accepting my CD key ever since the update. I login to uplay from within the game and paste the code and it declines. I can still play in offline mode but what the hell? Anyone else have the same problem?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
It never asked me for the CD key, I just logged in with the same uPlay account I used with the old launcher and I was good to go.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

keyframe posted:

So uhh, the game is not accepting my CD key ever since the update. I login to uplay from within the game and paste the code and it declines. I can still play in offline mode but what the hell? Anyone else have the same problem?

Yep, i have the same problem. I even tried typing it in manually, in case Steam accidentally pasted in a space or something, but it keeps saying it's invalid.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I just played London Calling's rhythm track for the first time and whoever charted the lower difficulty versions of that is a loving idiot. I was struggling for 20 minutes trying to move my hands around to level it up, went "gently caress this", set it to max, and it's just a couple of barre chords. Bluh.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Titty Hero posted:

Yep, i have the same problem. I even tried typing it in manually, in case Steam accidentally pasted in a space or something, but it keeps saying it's invalid.

I was gonna say c/p the CD Key cause Steam did add a space (for me anyways), but if that doesn't work, have you tried emailing support?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
No DLC till January 7th

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 21, 2013

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.

Nocheez posted:

The new update is nice. I think note detection is better, as I'm getting more consistent credit for playing notes/chords properly.

Also, Six AM Salvation is my new anthem. I love this song, and can play everything except the solo flawlessly. I've only been playing for a couple of months, so I'm really proud of this.

I love that tune. Love listening to it and god drat how much fun it is to play.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Varicelli posted:

where can I buy a goddamn guitar to magic machine cable in Australia? seems like the nationwide cable ban (they resemble snakes) has been reinstated or something cause I can't find poo poo

I'm pretty sure I've seen them at JB Hifi. They'll probably be mixed in with all the Xbox/PS accessories.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

Titty Hero posted:

Something to try is to launch the normal Uplay Launcher on it's own outside of Rocksmith, to make sure it's up to date. Exit out then try launching Rocksmith normally. The ingame login shouldn't be asking you for a CD key at all. I have had that happen before it was integrated into Rocksmith though. The Uplay servers were down and when I tried to login it asked for the cdkey, then said it was invalid or already in use. When that happened, I just had to wait until the servers came back up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Update on the Ashbory: The Trooper was unbelievably painful. 84% mastery after one go (generously boosted by riff repeater). My entire right arm feels like it's going to fall off. :gonk:

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
Someone needs to stop me from playing Good Times from Chic on the bass. Goddamn thats fun to play.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I bought the disturbed pack just now after watching the vids. I am not a fan of disturbed but those songs look fun as poo poo to play and I need more Drop Eb songs to play anyway.

edit: holy poo poo everybody but down with the sickness, it is the best song. \:pcgaming:/

keyframe fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 22, 2013

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I've got a spare Steam code for the original Rocksmith. Someone can have it: PECN3-M0HAP-ZKVMY

I ended up with two after the boxed copies of the game were sent out without codes :downs:

Hopefully it still works.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
Grabbed the code. Thanks! :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

After seeing what kind of DLC Bandfuse is getting I hope Rocksmith steps their game up.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

prom candy posted:

After seeing what kind of DLC Bandfuse is getting I hope Rocksmith steps their game up.

What kind of dlc is band fuse getting?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Run-Around Blues Traveler 2014-01-28 Single
Foreplay/Longtime Boston 2014-01-28 Single
Hey Man, Nice Shot Filter 2014-01-28 Single
Pardon Me Incubus 2014-01-28 Single
Fire The Jimi Hendrix Experience 2014-01-28 Single
Love or Confusion The Jimi Hendrix Experience 2014-01-28 Single
Simple Man Lynyrd Skynyrd 2014-01-28 Single
All I Want The Offspring 2014-01-28 Single
Cowboys from Hell (Live) Pantera 2014-01-28 Single
Roundabout Yes 2014-01-28 Single
Surrender Cheap Trick TBA TBA

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Run-Around Blues Traveler 2014-01-28 Single
Foreplay/Longtime Boston 2014-01-28 Single
Hey Man, Nice Shot Filter 2014-01-28 Single
Pardon Me Incubus 2014-01-28 Single
Fire The Jimi Hendrix Experience 2014-01-28 Single
Love or Confusion The Jimi Hendrix Experience 2014-01-28 Single
Simple Man Lynyrd Skynyrd 2014-01-28 Single
All I Want The Offspring 2014-01-28 Single
Cowboys from Hell (Live) Pantera 2014-01-28 Single
Roundabout Yes 2014-01-28 Single
Surrender Cheap Trick TBA TBA

Not much there I can say I couldn't live without. I already have Surrender, Hendrix is cool but a bit overly ambitious (there are custom tracks for those I think), and who the heck is still into Blues Traveler?

Both these games seem to suffer from Greatest Hits syndrome. I guess its fun to learn a song everyone knows, but a lot of the artist have some really good songs if you dig deeper.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I am not seeing whats so special about that list that RS has to "step their game up". RS has been consistently releasing awesome DLC on a regular basis.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

Not much there I can say I couldn't live without. I already have Surrender, Hendrix is cool but a bit overly ambitious (there are custom tracks for those I think), and who the heck is still into Blues Traveler?

Both these games seem to suffer from Greatest Hits syndrome. I guess its fun to learn a song everyone knows, but a lot of the artist have some really good songs if you dig deeper.

Greatest hits = more $$ though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
From Twitter hints it looks like Aerosmith is probably the next artist pack.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

keyframe posted:

Yea I am not seeing whats so special about that list that RS has to "step their game up". RS has been consistently releasing awesome DLC on a regular basis.

I think I'd rather get varied DLC than 3 or 5 packs. Although I guess if they released a 5-pack of a band I liked I'd be elated.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Am I so awesome at Plug In Baby that it no longer shows up in Score Attack for fear I might score too many points, or is it missing for everyone?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I had a no-name guitar I bought about 5-6 years ago that just gives me all sorts of note recognition problems on Rocksmith with three single-coil pick-ups, two tone controls and the whammy bar and some goofy as hell SD Card slot thing in it that never worked and killed an SD card the first time I tried it. I seem to recall it has always had a lot of problems with distortion and cracking when tried it in an amp so I'm guessing there's likely something internally wrong that would need fixed to solve these problems.

Admittedly, I know they're probably low end, but a store had some First Act on sale for $30 right now that I'm thinking about to use with Rocksmith to see if it sounds/feels any better.

One has 3 single coil/2 tone controls and another with the humbucker pickup and volume control only. Would one be preferable to another?

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Am I so awesome at Plug In Baby that it no longer shows up in Score Attack for fear I might score too many points, or is it missing for everyone?

The former seems to be the more likely case, actually. (pc/win, if it makes a difference)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

prom candy posted:

I think I'd rather get varied DLC than 3 or 5 packs. Although I guess if they released a 5-pack of a band I liked I'd be elated.

I don't know I am fine with what they are doing now. They are releasing some pretty well known songs which is awesome.

One thing I would like from Bandfuse is the ability to mute the guitar track so your guitar is the only one audible. It would be awesome to play like that once you master a song.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Quick question since I'm hopefully getting this game in a couple of days. Will I be able to run it with an AMD Radeon 7520G? I would assume the required specs on this are pretty low though since they want as many people as possible to be able to play.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I am eyeing some of the old rocksmith DLC since its on steam sale. How well does it import into new rocksmith? I am brand spanking new to this rocksmith thing and guitar but have been having a lot of fun and don't want to miss this but only want to do it if it integrates well and caters to my baby nature as well as the native rocksmith songs seem to.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

JetGrind posted:

Quick question since I'm hopefully getting this game in a couple of days. Will I be able to run it with an AMD Radeon 7520G? I would assume the required specs on this are pretty low though since they want as many people as possible to be able to play.

Yes you can. You can even run it fine on an intel onboard gfx chip, it's not gfx intensive at all.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I am eyeing some of the old rocksmith DLC since its on steam sale. How well does it import into new rocksmith? I am brand spanking new to this rocksmith thing and guitar but have been having a lot of fun and don't want to miss this but only want to do it if it integrates well and caters to my baby nature as well as the native rocksmith songs seem to.

It imports fine and the songs are all updated with RS2014 features and they sound better since the last patch. You need to own RS1 on steam to be able to buy those songs though.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 23, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

keyframe posted:

Yes you can. You can even run it fine on an intel onboard gfx chip, it's not gfx intensive at all.

Good to know! Can't wait to start learning some tunes!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'd suggest that everyone buys and imports the first Rocksmith game. It's easy to look at the list and say that nothing interests you on the setlist but most of my favorite songs from the first Rocksmith were songs I'd never even heard before. Plus it seemed to me like the game had more newbie friendly songs compared to 2014.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Fina posted:

I'd suggest that everyone buys and imports the first Rocksmith game. It's easy to look at the list and say that nothing interests you on the setlist but most of my favorite songs from the first Rocksmith were songs I'd never even heard before. Plus it seemed to me like the game had more newbie friendly songs compared to 2014.

I just want to empty quote this as there's nothing I can add to it. RS1 had an amazing and underrated tracklist. You can' t judge it by what it looks like on paper. If you think there is nothing there to interest you, then you are wrong. Great songs, great to play, and yes many more newbie level songs.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Next time there is a song sale, keep it to your loving selves. I just dropped another 30$ on the game. :colbert:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

keyframe posted:

One thing I would like from Bandfuse is the ability to mute the guitar track so your guitar is the only one audible. It would be awesome to play like that once you master a song.

Seems quite unlikely to happen for old DLC. I guess it's a possibility for a next version, though, but it will limit their licensing possibilities.

I adjust my guitar volume a bit over the normal track and it doesn't bother me a bit, but I'm at best intermediate so what do I know.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

keyframe posted:

Next time there is a song sale, keep it to your loving selves. I just dropped another 30$ on the game. :colbert:

I have $65 sitting in my shopping cart :colbert:

Granted that's including the original Rocksmith and the import tool but still. I'm going to wait to see if the original Rocksmith becomes a daily deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had a no-name guitar I bought about 5-6 years ago that just gives me all sorts of note recognition problems on Rocksmith with three single-coil pick-ups, two tone controls and the whammy bar and some goofy as hell SD Card slot thing in it that never worked and killed an SD card the first time I tried it. I seem to recall it has always had a lot of problems with distortion and cracking when tried it in an amp so I'm guessing there's likely something internally wrong that would need fixed to solve these problems.

Admittedly, I know they're probably low end, but a store had some First Act on sale for $30 right now that I'm thinking about to use with Rocksmith to see if it sounds/feels any better.

One has 3 single coil/2 tone controls and another with the humbucker pickup and volume control only. Would one be preferable to another?

If it's super-cheap I'd probably just go with the humbucker, less to go wrong and less likely to run into problems with electrical interference. More pickups are more versatile, but I'd probably pick the robust workhorse option in this case