Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The whole thing is going to be published in English. Volume 11 of Dorohedoro comes out Tuesday.

There's a new chapter of Nobunaga's Chef. It's got some great dramatic panels. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212011/nobunaga-no-chef_v7_ch56_by_supreme-cream-scanlations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

coathat posted:

The whole thing is going to be published in English. Volume 11 of Dorohedoro comes out Tuesday.

There's a new chapter of Nobunaga's Chef. It's got some great dramatic panels. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212011/nobunaga-no-chef_v7_ch56_by_supreme-cream-scanlations

Dorohedoro is on Volume 19 though. It'll be years before the English release gets to it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

So what? iI's still worth buying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, I thought you meant we couldn't make a thread since it was in English.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah, reading the new AIKI-S chapter suddenly made me picture Joukyuu appearing in Liar Game.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aiki-S/Ch-004-Read-Online?id=181857

Anyone read Space Brothers/Uchuu Kyoudai? I've been giving it a try, I guess it's okay. Seems pretty light and forgettable, but I guess it is mainly intended as slice of life/comedy. It just doesn't feel like any real dramatic obstacles have actually been posted to be overcome and it's kind of lacking any tension or depth or reason to keep reading. I mean, yeah, the protagonist gets nervous sometimes but mostly it's just like YEAH YOU'RE AN ASTRONAUT NOW and YEAH WE'RE ON THE MOON NOW. Nothing interesting for the characters to overcome or deal with yet, but I guess I'll keep reading.
It would be good to find some solid space Seinen, Planetes was cool and I swear I remember another "astronauts in training" manga (with younger protagonists) being thrown around these parts but maybe it stopped being scanned and uploaded.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 16, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There is actually a Space Bros thread around here somewhere but personally I got bored of it when they just kept not going into space for reason n+1.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I didn't really get the ending :smith:

Racist bug manga translated another volume:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Terra-ForMars/Vol-007-Ch-053--MASTER--Men?id=181859

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yo seinen guys and gals, even if you aren't already following along with the Satoshi Mizukami Thread I strongly recommend checking out Spirit Circle. It's been crazy good so far and I partly worry that ironically it's been marooned in my own thread.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sakamoto-desu-ga-r8496

Sakamoto is that guy. The one who is ~so stylish~. You're probably picturing a stuck-up smug jerk archetype, but instead Sakamoto takes the character type to its absurd conclusion by just being this zen-like entity of pure :allears: :swoon: :allears:. Very entertaining so far.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Breaky posted:

I didn't really get the ending :smith:

agreed it's higher than David Lynch-level in ambiguousness, overall a bit disappointing series although it had a nice atmosphere

coathat
May 21, 2007

87 Clockers keeps getting better and better with each new chapter. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212309/87-clockers_v1_ch5_by_happyscans

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Nate RFB posted:

Yo seinen guys and gals, even if you aren't already following along with the Satoshi Mizukami Thread I strongly recommend checking out Spirit Circle. It's been crazy good so far and I partly worry that ironically it's been marooned in my own thread.

I read it and really liked it but for some reason it made me really mad???

I don't get it at all I was just so angry by the end of it.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
So I don't get Biomega's ending fully. The only part I didn't get is why was Mr.Badass Bear able to stop the second recreation, and why was his wish the one that got picked when the Earth got recreated the first time. Everything else I got a pretty good understanding...Well except the part where "Kozolov appeared on horse back in human form; as in was that just Eon Green's wishful thinking?

Well I actually liked Biomega a tiny bit more than Blame! Blame! was good but I felt it got dragged on a bit at the start, but once Blame got to the 3rd volume, things got pretty awesome.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 17, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gobbledygoat posted:

I read it and really liked it but for some reason it made me really mad???

I don't get it at all I was just so angry by the end of it.

You don't get Spirit Circle? The gist of it is all the main characters are constantly reincarnating for some unknown reason, all in relations to each other, but varying each time they reincarnate. They vaguely remember their past lives in dreams. I would say it's a pretty infuriating series in a good way, the Knight storyline was so incredibly good. Like seriously, blew my mind how solid that whole thing was. The current high school-era reincarnation is trying to understand what happened in the past, and hopefully save the girl from the crippling and all-consuming hatred she has felt throughout all of their histories. It can get pretty maddening thanks to really loving unjust scenarios, events, and characters, but that's half the reason it's so good. Spirit Circle is really fantastic and I wish it was a weekly series.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Oh Snapalope posted:

So I don't get Biomega's ending fully. The only part I didn't get is why was Mr.Badass Bear able to stop the second recreation, and why was his wish the one that got picked when the Earth got recreated the first time. Everything else I got a pretty good understanding...Well except the part where "Kozolov appeared on horse back in human form; as in was that just Eon Green's wishful thinking?

Well I actually liked Biomega a tiny bit more than Blame! Blame! was good but I felt it got dragged on a bit at the start, but once Blame got to the 3rd volume, things got pretty awesome.
It's been a while since I read Biomega but I vaguely recall the place he ended up being some kind of nano-goop cauldron that would obey the orders of (see also grant the wish of) the first person to climb on in. Beardude finds/is led to it and his overriding drive was to protect Yion and so it wipes away all the threats on the giant cylinder-earth.

Honestly don't think about it too hard, Biomega didn't make much sense near the end and I suspect was cancelled. Sidonia is way better, even though it doesn't have motorcycles (yet).

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ok seriously y'all need to read Kiichi right now. It's maybe the best manga being translated into English at the moment. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212364/kiichi_v2_ch16_by_gantz-waitingroom

Also everybody should be reading Kingdom. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kingdom-r642
Millions of years have passed since the times of legends, when the worlds of man and gods were still the same. In these times it was the desires of man that moved the world. It is the era of the 500 year war: The warring states period. Kingdom is the story of a young boy named Xin who grew into a great general and all the trials and bloodshed that lead him there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of Kingdom, based on the most recent chapters I'm lead to believe that ancient China worked a lot like the aliens from Invader Zim.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

coathat posted:

Ok seriously y'all need to read Kiichi right now. It's maybe the best manga being translated into English at the moment. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212364/kiichi_v2_ch16_by_gantz-waitingroom

I read the first few chapters of this last night and it seems kinda weird, but interesting. What's the reason for your opinion, I'm just curious?

coathat
May 21, 2007

The main reason is how he's able to portray such raw emotional out porings almost effortlessly. Also the openness of the scenes where he lets outside events momentarily override what's going along like in the first chapter when the mother conversation gets drowned out by a passing campaign van. It's a lot like a really good art film.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't get Spirit Circle? The gist of it is all the main characters are constantly reincarnating for some unknown reason, all in relations to each other, but varying each time they reincarnate. They vaguely remember their past lives in dreams. I would say it's a pretty infuriating series in a good way, the Knight storyline was so incredibly good. Like seriously, blew my mind how solid that whole thing was. The current high school-era reincarnation is trying to understand what happened in the past, and hopefully save the girl from the crippling and all-consuming hatred she has felt throughout all of their histories. It can get pretty maddening thanks to really loving unjust scenarios, events, and characters, but that's half the reason it's so good. Spirit Circle is really fantastic and I wish it was a weekly series.

No no I just don't get why it makes me so mad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Also apparently Dorohedoro is finished and just not scanlated? We should totally make a thread if we ever get the rest. I'm re-reading it and just got to the part where Risu is meeting the rest of the Cross-Eyes in the 'abandoned' house, complete with dramatic darkened faces and shadows. Then it turns out it's because they can't afford electricity and the first thing they do is rush to get to the scrappaper merchant. Such a great comic.

Where did find this out? Google can't seem to help me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Find out what? That it's finished? The translations were on a long hiatus for a while so it's pretty likely it's already finished.
The end of the recently scanlated Vol 18 also explicitly says "The story ends with the next volume". Or maybe the beginning of 19 said it was the last one, either or. The first few chapters of Vol 19 are already scanlated, so we're missing like a handful of chapters, tops.

/edit: Here, end of Vol. 18:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 19, 2013

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
The last chapter of Otto Carius is finally released, for us that prefer tank action with pigs rather than high school girls

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Find out what? That it's finished? The translations were on a long hiatus for a while so it's pretty likely it's already finished.
The end of the recently scanlated Vol 18 also explicitly says "The story ends with the next volume". Or maybe the beginning of 19 said it was the last one, either or. The first few chapters of Vol 19 are already scanlated, so we're missing like a handful of chapters, tops.

/edit: Here, end of Vol. 18:

Does anyone know of any other series by the same author? I'm really dreading the end of Dorohedoro; it's probably the best bizarre/fantasy manga I've ever read.

Even though most of the big mysteries have been resolved, it's still hard to believe that it'll come to a satisfying end in just one more volume. But I guess it's better to end while it's still good than for it to drag on.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone know of any other series by the same author?

Maken X should be next on your list.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blog Free or Die posted:

Maken X should be next on your list.

Ah, thanks!

One thing that I find interesting about Dorohedoro is that it somehow manages to create a huge cast of characters that are simultaneously both likable and completely awful people*. I have no clue who to root for in the various conflicts that show up in the series. Probably the best examples of this are Shin and Noi. They're seriously terrible people who do incredibly bad things, but you still grow attached to them.

*Seriously. Pretty much the only characters I can think of who don't either actively commit various atrocities or hold abhorrent opinions are Thirteen and the doctor's assistant guy with the weird facial tattoos.

edit: Maybe also the people who work at the meat pie shop in the magic world, they seemed alright.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that I find interesting about Dorohedoro is that it somehow manages to create a huge cast of characters that are simultaneously both likable and completely awful people*. I have no clue who to root for in the various conflicts that show up in the series. Probably the best examples of this are Shin and Noi. They're seriously terrible people who do incredibly bad things, but you still grow attached to them.

You put it pretty well. I think the only actively loathsome character is the Cross Eye's boss.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Honestly Punpun hit way too close to home.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll say that one thing I love about Kiichi is that it actually depicts people that look like people. Full of interesting quirks and all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Apparently Black Lagoon started back up again this year. I thought the guy had quit two years ago.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finished Rock'n'Roll Ricky last night. Thought it was OK. The main threads of boxing and fatherhood work well, yet I didn't get much of a feel for most of the other characters aside from Ricky himself. It was nice to actually finish a manga rather than read up until a translated point and then have to wait indefinitely, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Tarezax posted:

Apparently Black Lagoon started back up again this year. I thought the guy had quit two years ago.

Start is a bit of a misnomer. A better way to put it might be that it woke up from the coma it was in, but it's paralyzed from the waist down and can only communicate in blinks.

What I mean is that it only updates every two months with a chapter shorter than most of Weekly Shounen Jump's offerings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Chas McGill posted:

Finished Rock'n'Roll Ricky last night. Thought it was OK. The main threads of boxing and fatherhood work well, yet I didn't get much of a feel for most of the other characters aside from Ricky himself. It was nice to actually finish a manga rather than read up until a translated point and then have to wait indefinitely, though.
I kinda wished it had lasted longer since I dig boxing but after looking at what's happened to Ippo it's probably for the best.

It also has a more upbeat ending than say, Ashita No Joe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Most things not the Holocaust have a happier ending than Ashita no Joe.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah. The artist had to rush the ending because it was getting cancelled. Shame really, I thought they did a good job with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Boogaleeboo posted:

Most things not the Holocaust have a happier ending than Ashita no Joe.

Ashita no Joe is very cheerful when you compare it to things like Saikano and Grave of the Fireflies. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading this series Yamikin Ushijima-kun about a loan shark (yamikin) named Ushijima. It's incredibly dark/depressing but also pretty good and worth reading. I definitely recommend it, but only if you're okay with reading something that isn't even remotely uplifting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading this series Yamikin Ushijima-kun about a loan shark (yamikin) named Ushijima. It's incredibly dark/depressing but also pretty good and worth reading. I definitely recommend it, but only if you're okay with reading something that isn't even remotely uplifting.

Seconding this. Ushijima-kun will make you rethink your life choices, but it's really good. Also it does get a bit lighter later on, though I don't think scanlations are even close to reaching that point. And by lighter I just mean "the schlubs Ushijima goes after don't end their arc strapped naked to a tree in the woods."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Very good, just read all that's been scanlated. Sucks that the scans end so abruptly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Seconding this. Ushijima-kun will make you rethink your life choices, but it's really good. Also it does get a bit lighter later on, though I don't think scanlations are even close to reaching that point. And by lighter I just mean "the schlubs Ushijima goes after don't end their arc strapped naked to a tree in the woods."

Some of the content hits a little close to home for me, and I can say that it does a really good job of presenting the motivations that drive someone to go to a payday/title loan place and their emotional state during/after.

I'm assuming that it will go into Ushijima's past at some point. From what we've seen, I'm guessing that he had parents who he hated (either because they abused him or some other reason) who were themselves the victims of loan sharks, leading him to project his feelings for his parents onto all of his debtors. I'm also curious about all the rabbits in his apartment.