Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Black August posted:

What about drinking alone. In my room. With the door locked and the lights off. Because that's pretty much the only way I drink if it's not out with friends. Surely they'd accept that.

You left out sobbing quietly and whispering "how did it end up like this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Open letter to physical therapists:

You can manipulate my spine all day :smug:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Turkeybone posted:

* One mount rent + one mouth deposit to move in "

Pr0k's mum is going to be your landlord?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

:stonk: Well, at least I didn't find out day of. Anywhere else downtown you care to recommend?

I think I PMed you last night, but if you read this sometime today, get me your room number and I'll send you some wine and cheese and such.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Put my truck in a ditch on the way in Thrusday night. Yay ice storm. Worked through and finished my baking, then went rear end over teakettle in a customer's lot on the ice. Today, I hurt like a bastard, but just clocked off after only 9 hours.

So glad Christmas is Wednesday.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Curious what the standard rule here is.

If I order a drink on the menu and don't like it, is it normally comped or not?

Reason I ask is because last week I was at a restaurant and my wife ordered a cocktail from their menu that neither of us were sure of, and it was way to boozy for her. I told the waitress and we got something else instead. The drink she didn't like never showed up on the bill.

However, if I recall right, there was another time where she didn't like a drink and it was left on the bill and we never contested it.

So what's standard practice? They can't re-sell the drink, so I see their side of it maybe being buyer beware, but if the server wants a good tip, maybe they would be on the side of trying to make the customer happy?

I tipped the waitress last week extra well because of the fact that the drink was comped.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Curious what the standard rule here is.

If I order a drink on the menu and don't like it, is it normally comped or not?

Reason I ask is because last week I was at a restaurant and my wife ordered a cocktail from their menu that neither of us were sure of, and it was way to boozy for her. I told the waitress and we got something else instead. The drink she didn't like never showed up on the bill.

However, if I recall right, there was another time where she didn't like a drink and it was left on the bill and we never contested it.

So what's standard practice? They can't re-sell the drink, so I see their side of it maybe being buyer beware, but if the server wants a good tip, maybe they would be on the side of trying to make the customer happy?

I tipped the waitress last week extra well because of the fact that the drink was comped.

Completely depends on the place. The higher up you go, the more likely it'll be comped (though most bottles of wine can't be comped). Most places realize that you'll get a lot more repeat business (and revenue) for comping some food or drink here and there. I would take it as a pretty negative experience if I had a legit issue with a drink (even just 'too boozy' is pretty legit... "I don't like cranberries and this cranberry breeze tastes bad" might not be) and they didn't do anything about it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Naelyan posted:

Completely depends on the place. The higher up you go, the more likely it'll be comped (though most bottles of wine can't be comped). Most places realize that you'll get a lot more repeat business (and revenue) for comping some food or drink here and there. I would take it as a pretty negative experience if I had a legit issue with a drink (even just 'too boozy' is pretty legit... "I don't like cranberries and this cranberry breeze tastes bad" might not be) and they didn't do anything about it.

That makes sense. I wouldn't expect a bottle of wine to be comped. In the drink that was too boozy, it was a cocktail that was made up at that place and we had no idea about the stuff in it, but it sounded interesting, so we gave it a shot. I liked it, but I was driving, so I couldn't drink it, and it tasted way too strong for her, so luckily it was comped.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil is a totally awesome dude and brought us some Glenlivet Tomintoul! We all had a glass at the end of the party, and it seemed like everything went well. Cooked for 2000 with only 12 cooks, and I never want to see sliders or tacos ever again in my life.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

nwin posted:

That makes sense. I wouldn't expect a bottle of wine to be comped. In the drink that was too boozy, it was a cocktail that was made up at that place and we had no idea about the stuff in it, but it sounded interesting, so we gave it a shot. I liked it, but I was driving, so I couldn't drink it, and it tasted way too strong for her, so luckily it was comped.

My rule of thumb is that a guest never pays for something they don't enjoy. Bottles of wine being the sometimes exception, but if it's refused when the waiter pours a taste for the guest right after opening the bottle (i.e. the customer never touches it,) the wine goes behind the bar to be sold by the glass (unless it's corked, obv.) People who have "enjoyed" their entire entree or drink and then complain get offered a free dessert and a concerned "oh! I wish you had said something sooner, I would have happily gotten you something else!"

I was always pretty heavy-handed with the comps, but I also had a great record for guest service. My various bosses over the years never complained.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Wroughtirony posted:

My rule of thumb is that a guest never pays for something they don't enjoy. Bottles of wine being the sometimes exception, but if it's refused when the waiter pours a taste for the guest right after opening the bottle (i.e. the customer never touches it,) the wine goes behind the bar to be sold by the glass (unless it's corked, obv.) People who have "enjoyed" their entire entree or drink and then complain get offered a free dessert and a concerned "oh! I wish you had said something sooner, I would have happily gotten you something else!"

I was always pretty heavy-handed with the comps, but I also had a great record for guest service. My various bosses over the years never complained.

This is my policy and I can't believe it isn't just the standard across the industry. A sign that the majority of people in this business are incompetent I guess.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I dont think I have ever sent anything, food or drink, back. I either just never comeback or if it is somewhere that is usually good I just chalk it up to being an off day or whatever.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
GOOFUS shows up to work with a hangover.

GALLANT drinks howevermuch, sleeps for three hours, pounds a beer right after waking and stumbles into work hollering most of Open Road Song by Eve 6 before pulling a double and change. Hangover averted.

I no longer fear death, having lived through this week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Death holds no fear for me.

Doubles on Christmas Eve, however...

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

I dont think I have ever sent anything, food or drink, back. I either just never comeback or if it is somewhere that is usually good I just chalk it up to being an off day or whatever.

While I'll admit to sometimes doing the same, it really sucks to do this. Any good manager would much rather you say something so that they can attempt to fix the problem (or at least be made aware of it). I've got a couple local restaurants that I frequent where they hosed up the first plate they sent to me, but I said something and they fixed it and now I go back all the time because the food is awesome (but I wouldn't have known that if I'd just eaten my overcooked whatever and never come back).

Edit: Basically, if the manager is any good at all, they'll appreciate you saying something and giving them the opportunity to fix it. If they brush you off, then at least you know for sure that you never want to go back.

edit edit:

Liquid Communism posted:

Death holds no fear for me.

Doubles on Christmas Eve, however...

My bakery is closed Christmas Eve. And Christmas. And Boxing Day. I don't have to go back in until 10pm on the 26th to get ready for the 27th. Ahahahahahaah, what sorcery is this.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 22, 2013

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I get 4 days off, today through christmas because my manager is tired of paying me a bunch of money in overtime. I'm gonna get drunk and make poor online gift purchasing decisions.

Also I love me some overtime money right before christmas.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

While I'll admit to sometimes doing the same, it really sucks to do this. Any good manager would much rather you say something so that they can attempt to fix the problem (or at least be made aware of it). I've got a couple local restaurants that I frequent where they hosed up the first plate they sent to me, but I said something and they fixed it and now I go back all the time because the food is awesome (but I wouldn't have known that if I'd just eaten my overcooked whatever and never come back).

Edit: Basically, if the manager is any good at all, they'll appreciate you saying something and giving them the opportunity to fix it. If they brush you off, then at least you know for sure that you never want to go back.

Yeah, I know but my threshold for "never come back" is pretty high and usually not something that can be fixed short of burning the place to the ground. It takes 2-3 bad meals in a row ususally and at that point signs point to an overall slip in quality that complaining about isn't going to help. The saddest example of this is a formerly decent Mexican place near by. They went from "decent cheese-bomb Mexican w/ huge, cheap margaritas" to watery and more expensive drinks and food that seems like it was made the day before. I gave them like three try's before I gave up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of sending stuff back/being disgruntled in restaurants

and I don't mean to bring up tipping chat, but

is there an acceptable way to let a waiter/waitress know they've done a horribly lovely job?

I tip 20% across the board, even with mediocre service - and closer to 30% if I think someone has really gone above and beyond. but, I feel like I really don't know how to leave a 'poor' tip - like if I just leave 15%, I feel like that might be in the realm of what an average patron would leave - so it might not get the message across. I feel like a huge dick leaving 10% or below, so that leaves me sort of in the 12% range for 'sending a message'? but I'm not really sure that's even effective. I mean, I've never even worked front of house, I don't know how much attention waiters even pay to individual table's tips. I could just say something, but I'm actually a really nice and non-confrontational guy in real life, and hate doing that.

dunno. thoughts?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

dunno. thoughts?

Comment cards if they have them, would probably be the 'nicest' way to do it. For me, if I think they might be new or just don't know stuff, I'll mention that I'm in the industry and a couple things for them to work on. If it's that they're just lovely at their job because they're lazy/aggressive/whatever, and it made my dining experience that bad, I'll catch a manager on my way out. If the server was that loving horrid that I don't want to tip them, then I'll definitely catch a manager on the way out and ask that they distribute my tip to the kitchen.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you really want to send a message don't tip. If I wasn't getting tips I'd probably start wondering why.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

mindphlux posted:

is there an acceptable way to let a waiter/waitress know they've done a horribly lovely job?

I tip 20% across the board, even with mediocre service - and closer to 30% if I think someone has really gone above and beyond. but, I feel like I really don't know how to leave a 'poor' tip - like if I just leave 15%, I feel like that might be in the realm of what an average patron would leave - so it might not get the message across. I feel like a huge dick leaving 10% or below, so that leaves me sort of in the 12% range for 'sending a message'? but I'm not really sure that's even effective. I mean, I've never even worked front of house, I don't know how much attention waiters even pay to individual table's tips. I could just say something, but I'm actually a really nice and non-confrontational guy in real life, and hate doing that.

dunno. thoughts?

I'm the same way. I was out with some friends and it took me a hour and a half to get three drinks when we were one of her three tables. It got so bad that my manager friend who was with us ended up cashing us out. I couldn't bring myself to tip under 10% :smith:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Cuts:

Knife (almost never happens)
Another actual blade (robo coupe blade, etc.)
Random sharp edge on a thing that should not have sharp edges (happens all the time)
Mandoline (eveyone does it once)
Slicer
Cardboard
Aluminum foil*cringe*

I know this is from way earlier in the thread, but another chef was using a mandoline without the safety handle thing at work tonight. I'm scared enough of them even while using that (though the one we have doesn't sit in line so that doesn't help at all). I nearly flat out refuse to use one unless I have no choice at all, because of some scrapes and some very very scary near misses.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

dunno. thoughts?

Tip 10%, using exact change.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sir Spaniard posted:

I know this is from way earlier in the thread, but another chef was using a mandoline without the safety handle thing at work tonight. I'm scared enough of them even while using that (though the one we have doesn't sit in line so that doesn't help at all). I nearly flat out refuse to use one unless I have no choice at all, because of some scrapes and some very very scary near misses.

Do you mean the plastic bit that goes between your hand and the carrot, on the other side of the blade?

Because those things are stupid and just get in the way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sir Spaniard posted:

It is well worth getting over this phobia. The mandoline is a very useful tool, especially without the safety guard (which I've never seen anyone use in a restaurant or even cooking school).

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

mindphlux posted:

You could always write on the receipt. Leave your 15% and write "this would've been more if you had managed to ever bring me a drink refill." You don't need to write anything if you're tipping ~10%, though.

It's more direct, but it isn't like a waiter is going to stop you on your way out the door and say something.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

No Wave posted:

It is well worth getting over this phobia. The mandoline is a very useful tool, especially without the safety guard (which I've never seen anyone use in a restaurant or even cooking school).

I'd be a lot less wary if the one we have at work wasn't super flimsy and with a plastic resting base that doesn't lock in properly. And I wouldn't be surprised if the safety/food/carrot holder, whatever you call it, was actually from a previous one. It doesn't seem to fit exactly, and never slides exactly right.

If it was actually stable I'd use it, albeit still warily. I much prefer using my knives, which I can use just as quickly for most anything that would go through a mandoline, really. Only time I've actually used it at my current place was to get carrot the right thinness to cut into julienne.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 23, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tell your boss to get a real Bron mandoline, sounds like you've got some cheap piece of crap.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bowmore posted:

If you really want to send a message don't tip. If I wasn't getting tips I'd probably start wondering why.
I think the average lovely server would just think you're a dick rather than getting all introspective about their faults as a server.

As for writing things on receipts, I mean, I guess, but that seems a lot more passive aggressive than just pulling aside a manager.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sir Spaniard posted:

I much prefer using my knives, which I can use just as quickly for most anything that would go through a mandoline, really.

Then you either need a better mandolin or you're a knife-skill god. A month ago I did an event for 4400 people, and asian slaw was a side for the fish app. I did 5 cases of diakon julienne, and if I had to do that poo poo by hand it would have taken me days.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sir Spaniard posted:

I'd be a lot less wary if the one we have at work wasn't super flimsy and with a plastic resting base that doesn't lock in properly. And I wouldn't be surprised if the safety/food/carrot holder, whatever you call it, was actually from a previous one. It doesn't seem to fit exactly, and never slides exactly right.

If it was actually stable I'd use it, albeit still warily. I much prefer using my knives, which I can use just as quickly for most anything that would go through a mandoline, really. Only time I've actually used it at my current place was to get carrot the right thinness to cut into julienne.
Mandolines are used by everyone everywhere at pretty much every level of cooking. I can guarantee you'd find some use for it (as you already have), but if you're getting by fine without it, whatever.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tell your boss to get a real Bron mandoline, sounds like you've got some cheap piece of crap.

Yeah, that's what I think I'll do. Even if I end up getting it myself and throwing it in my kit, for occasional use until I am better at it.

E: looked at one on Amazon. "customers who purchased one of these also purchased: protective gloves". Can't say I blame them.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 23, 2013

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Pro-tip for Benriner use: place it angled longways in a third pan or widthways in a half pan and it'll hold it very steady for you at a comfortable angle. Also, if you don't have a cut glove and are scared, hold the produce with a side towel to protect yourself. People like to brag about being all macho and poo poo with mandolines and how they don't need protection because they know how to use one but believe me, simply from an efficiency standpoint you can prep poo poo so much faster if you've got that glove and can go balls-to-the-wall on it without any concern. Trust the prep guys at my old job who'd bang out literally entire bus tubs of fine julienne carrot/daikon on the daily.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 23, 2013

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If a doctor says I've got the flu that's not really something I can just try and work through, is it? I need the money this week'd yield badly enough that I'm half tempted to "lose" the doctor's note, but I'm pretty sure the flu is hella contagious. IANAD, though.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Thoht posted:

Pro-tip

Yeah, back when I was using an actual good mandy at a previous job, I had a reinforced glove. I'll look at the combo buy soon.

Knocking out a tub of julienne with that was super quick and easy aside from the occasional cat scratches it gave me.

Any suggestions on what brand of gloves are good? I don't need one of the full steel mesh ones, just the reinforced type as I've used before.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My bakery is closed Christmas Eve. And Christmas. And Boxing Day. I don't have to go back in until 10pm on the 26th to get ready for the 27th. Ahahahahahaah, what sorcery is this.

Jealousy.

We're closing at 2pm Christmas Eve, although I have to deliver some 1700 Christmas cookies tomorrow morning then come back and help out kicking out the rest of our orders for pickup. We're closed Christmas Day, and the coffee places are mostly all closing for it, so it's the one holiday this year I don't have to do breakfast production for. Gotta be in at midnight the 26th to get back to normal schedule, though.

Somehow we have two weddings scheduled for NYE this year. I don't even know how the hell that happened.

Trebuchet King posted:

If a doctor says I've got the flu that's not really something I can just try and work through, is it? I need the money this week'd yield badly enough that I'm half tempted to "lose" the doctor's note, but I'm pretty sure the flu is hella contagious. IANAD, though.

Stay the gently caress home and don't get the rest of your kitchen sick. :argh:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2013

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Stay the gently caress home and don't get the rest of your kitchen sick. :argh:

This a thousand times. Someone got a bad stomach bug a few weeks ago. He got over it and worked the last days of the week... Only for it to have lingered and rip through 3 other people.. And then once they were ok, I got it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Place we sell desserts to gave me the ur-example of this a while back. One of their cooks went down with what he thought was food poisoning. He took a day off, then went right back to work because they had a 75 person wedding party to cater for. Ended up plating the salads.

While sweating norovirus.

70 guests, the bride and groom, and half the staff down within a week. Several hospitalizations. The restaurant settled out of court to the tune of fat sacks of cash.

Don't gently caress around with contagious diseases.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Place we sell desserts to gave me the ur-example of this a while back. One of their cooks went down with what he thought was food poisoning. He took a day off, then went right back to work because they had a 75 person wedding party to cater for. Ended up plating the salads.

While sweating norovirus.

70 guests, the bride and groom, and half the staff down within a week. Several hospitalizations. The restaurant settled out of court to the tune of fat sacks of cash.

Don't gently caress around with contagious diseases.

Now if only employers would let employees take sick days without repercussions. Most chefs I worked for expected me to be at work unless I was unconscious or bleeding from an artery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We got loving hit tonight. Huge Christmas Eve. No one was expecting that. Probably did like 15k-18k in sales at dinner. I'm so tired.

Merry Christmas everybody.

• Locked thread