Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

The secret level is always off map 15.

At least in vanilla Doom/Boom map sets. Secret exit slots are always MAP15-->MAP31 and MAP31-->MAP32. In stuff made for ZDoom, it can be anywhere.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the fact that the levels are just too long to really do without saves (unless you want it to be an absolute grind) is my least favorite thing about Hellbound.

Really nice looking, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, gotten to level 13 and Hellbound's a lot more visually interesting - it just feels like a slog, and I really hate how iffy the communication between button > thing opening is. I keep catching myself wandering around, back and forth, trying to find which thing slid open after thumping its switch on the opposite side of the map.

I guess the closer to a "realistic" design these maps get the more infuriating the idiosyncrasies are. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cat Mattress posted:

At least in vanilla Doom/Boom map sets. Secret exit slots are always MAP15-->MAP31 and MAP31-->MAP15. In stuff made for ZDoom, it can be anywhere.

I wish mapmakers would at least mention in the readme which map has the secret exit - I like secret levels and I'm awful at finding them!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody know of a way to get Anaglyph (Red/Cyan) 3D working in OpenGL for ATI hardware?

Reason: I'm really jonesing to try some 3D Descent/Descent 2, but DXX-Rebirth doesn't support it natively, and iZ3D is DirectX-only.

D2X-XL supports Anaglyph 3D natively, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a stupendously buggy engine where the dev favors new features instead of poo poo that works.

I know that nVidia has their own 3D driver, but what does ATI/AMD have?

:edit: Alright I've actually spent the last two hours working hard at making D2X-XL behave itself. Somehow the developer mastered the art of making Descent "feel" wrong if you don't throw in all this guy's shader effects, bloom lighting, particle effects, HUD upgrades, updated models/textures/anims/etc. I'll get some comparison shots in a minute.

DXX-Rebirth (The way it's supposed to look, only at a higher res)

D2X-XL

D2X-XL Anaglyph Red/Cyan

Oh, what the hey - seeing that I'm gushing about Descent again:

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 22, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

D2X-XL was always a pain in the rear end to get working for me because even with the stuff in the right folders it would still screw up somehow.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
For anyone who enjoyed the Doom map drawing GIFs I posted earlier, now there are GIFs of the Doom 64 maps, thanks to the WAD extraction tool from doom64ex and its associated technical document.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Now I want to see someone replace the Illusive Man's default model with Rodney Dangerfield.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who's played through Doom II the Way id Did? How in the living hell do I get to the secret exit in the first secret level?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Mak0rz posted:

Who's played through Doom II the Way id Did? How in the living hell do I get to the secret exit in the first secret level?

In one of the mini-zones you might have noticed a teddy bear pickup on an unreachable ledge. I think you have to shoot the block it's resting on. I think that opens up the door in the secret area in the pogo stick mini-zone which should get you the switch that raises the bridge to the secret exit. I say "I think" because it was literally the last thing on the map I did and if you need any of the other secrets to exit I couldn't be sure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The secret exit is hidden away in the first "city" (the smallest one, with a pogo stick atop a pyramid). If you find the secret area within this "city", you will discover a place with fires and darkness. Also, a switch is behind a panel, it'll raise up a bridge to get to the secret exit.

Now the panel is tagged 666, so to open it and access the switch, you need to kill all the Commander Keens -- that is to say, stun all the Yorps. It's something you may want to do anyway just to get 100% stats. Once all the Yorps are stunned, go back to the secret area, hit the switch, cross the bridge, and dive into the Well of Wishes.

Hey, remember "Doom: But On The Amiga"? Well, guess what I found...

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 23, 2013

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Cat Mattress posted:

Now the panel is tagged 666, so to open it and access the switch, you need to kill all the Commander Keens -- that is to say, stun all the Yorps. It's something you may want to do anyway just to get 100% stats. Once all the Yorps are stunned, go back to the secret area, hit the switch, cross the bridge, and dive into the Well of Wishes.

Good golly holly was I off. Good luck finding all the yorps.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like the first potential Cacoward of 2014 is taking shape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAWSjOuwIg
Mario X Doom, Due out on New Years.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

What the gently caress I haven't even played it and I'm already addicted to collecting those coins. :psyduck:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Oh man, work's resuming on that project? I must've played the demo like three times.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I don't think work ever stopped. It's just a pretty big and ambitious project for one person.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

CyRaptor posted:

(I promise this is gonna be the last time I post about this)

My :siren: 20TH ANNIVERSARY LIVESTREAM OF THE ULTIMATE DOOM :siren: is going live in just a few minutes! The show itself will start at 6pm EST (or maybe a little after, depending on how many people show up by then).

HERE'S THE VERY IMPORTANT LINK I SERIOUSLY ALMOST JUST FORGOT TO PUT IN THIS POST:
https://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor

Hey, I wanted to leave some positive feedback and thank you for doing that thing. I've watched the VODs for episode 1 and 2 and found it very entertaining, your endless bitching about Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen was pretty funny. I'm not that acquainted with who did which maps and found your insight informative. The early versions were also a little cool to see. I'll probably check back to see the rest later.

For everyone else who missed it, you can watch everything under http://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor/profile/pastBroadcasts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LvK posted:

Oh man, work's resuming on that project? I must've played the demo like three times.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't even remember when I played that wad last.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

The secret exit is hidden away in the first "city" (the smallest one, with a pogo stick atop a pyramid). If you find the secret area within this "city", you will discover a place with fires and darkness. Also, a switch is behind a panel, it'll raise up a bridge to get to the secret exit.

Awesome, thanks!

:sigh: Here goes nothing...

EDIT: Ah, I only have two enemies left. I don't know how many of those two are Yorps and Gargs, though, but presumably at least one of them is the former.

EDIT 2: Boy am I glad I went through the trouble to get that :stare:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 23, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yorps are the little harmless cyclops dudes. Gargs are the big bastards.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Map09 of Going Down has been kicking my rear end, it seems fiendish in the amount of enemies and weapon availability even compared to the previous levels. Never thought I'd find myself wanting after getting an ssg and rocket launcher right off the bat.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's not so bad once you know what to expect. You can pick up the rocket launcher, ssg and plenty of ammo before waking any of the imps. Make sure you press the mega armour switch first and walk all the way around the edges around to the soulsphere switch. If you do this you'll have plenty of space to drop down and fight the archvile that appears on the little spiral staircase in the corner. As long as you stay on the upper walkway and keep moving you should be able to instigate enough infighting with the cacodemons to thin out the revenants and knights. Dropping or trying to cut across the map is what will get you cornered and killed. Just make sure you conserve some rockets for the red key trap. There should be a few boxes in the room anyway.

Only real problem I came across was with the floor switches not triggering the main door sometimes. No clue why it would happen and no amount of walking back and forth over them would fix it.

Going down is a really entertaining wad, does anybody know if there are going to be further episodes? I really prefer the smaller maps with challenging pin situations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Korendian Leader posted:

Going down is a really entertaining wad, does anybody know if there are going to be further episodes?

Cyriak is working on the rest, although no idea when it'll be finished. He's been getting a lot of animation work lately.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Oenis posted:

Hey, I wanted to leave some positive feedback and thank you for doing that thing. I've watched the VODs for episode 1 and 2 and found it very entertaining, your endless bitching about Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen was pretty funny. I'm not that acquainted with who did which maps and found your insight informative. The early versions were also a little cool to see. I'll probably check back to see the rest later.

For everyone else who missed it, you can watch everything under http://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor/profile/pastBroadcasts
The start of Episode 4 is magical, I'll just leave it at that. :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Yorps are the little harmless cyclops dudes. Gargs are the big bastards.

Yeah, I just didn't know how many of the last two monsters in the level were Yorps. I found two of the buggers hiding behind a wall.

More related to Doom in general: Are *.DEH files only needed when playing using some source ports or vanilla? I just realized I was playing D2TWID without its packaged patch, but I opened the script up and found everything it coded for working regardless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Playing through Doom II properly, having a pretty good time. It reminds me of different parts of Doom, and there's some cool new poo poo here (new enemies are very well done). But it also feels like a total mishmash of styles, where I could kinda see Doom as "phobos techbase" and then "deimos labs/demon invasion buildings" and then "hell itself", this just feels all over the place, although the variety is fun too.

MAP01 Entryway of course is a classic, although that one I already knew well. I like its secrets, this one really feels similar to E1M1 to me, a great opening for some Doom action, techbase style. I love the courtyard secret with the imps and the shotgun.

02 Underhalls is pretty straightforward, but also some really cool architecture, techbase style. Short but sweet.

03 The Gauntlet is another one I remembered, I like its layout a whole lot. The way you come in the main room and then you explore the sides with the teleporters, pretty good. Also short n sweet.

04 The Focus is pretty cool, I think in my memory I combined it with 02? Nothing too fancy.
05 The Waste Tunnels was also pretty good, pretty short though and nothing hugely memorable.

06 The Crusher. Now we're talking. This map was insane. From the first seconds, you have to fight a revenant and several other enemies in very, very close quarters. The opening elevator ride down into a spiderdemon was extremely dramatic. This one was hard, but I like it.

07 Dead Simple This one I want to like on paper, I like big open arena maps, but it just seemed kinda frustrating and lame. Who wants a Mancubus?

08 Tricks and Traps probably my favorite map so far. Its gimmicky as all get out, but I totally dig it. You spawn in the middle, and play a game of "what's behind door number 1?". Some pretty crazy "oh poo poo" moments, but nothing unreasonable.

09 The Pit Holy loving Hell, who designed this map? This is nuts. Its labyrinthine and yet somehow manageable, it goes all over the place and folds back on itself and there's a ton of switches and keys but it makes sense. The opening "pit" is pretty rough, and its also where the map ends.

10 Refueling Base I liked this one, pretty big and sprawling. It had more of a 'real world' feel than most of the other maps, (which makes sense as doom wikia tells me it was originally designed for Doom 1 and not finished in time). Feels like something from Alien. Decent bit of back-tracking.

11 O of Destruction this was pretty brutal, with a cyberdemon shooting at you over nukage pits from the very start. :(

12 The Factory I really loved this one, reminded me of maps like E3M6 Erebus from Doom 1, the really huge sprawling open maps. I like it a lot. Lots of different rooms to explore, some pretty cool / nasty poo poo.

13 Downtown AHA, here's the urban style maps everybody was saying Doom II had, I was starting to think those techbase levels were it. This is pretty different, again I love the big open arena with different buildings to discover thing.

I'm almost halfway through, gonna keep playing. Pretty tough stuff, pretty cool though. Some of it is kinda what I expected, although some of these are surprising me, especially the gimmickier maps like The Crusher, The Pit, and Tricks and Traps.

Still Doom never does Urban nearly as good as Duke Nukem did, gotta say.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 23, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

07 Dead Simple This one I want to like on paper, I like big open arena maps, but it just seemed kinda frustrating and lame. Who wants a Mancubus?

Aw, I liked Dead Simple. It was a pretty good concept for a boss map in its day. Doom 64 had a "sequel" called Even Simpler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4U_urCSbo

Zaphod42 posted:

09 The Pit Holy loving Hell, who designed this map?

That would be Sandy Peterson, who was probably the most inconsistent person on the team. He made my least and most favorite maps in Doom 1 and 2, and I think many others in this thread share the sentiment. You're almost at my personal favorite in that game (second to Tricks and Traps). Hope you enjoy it!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zaphod42 posted:

05 The Waste Tunnels was also pretty good, pretty short though and nothing hugely memorable.

I really don't like The Waste Tunnels. I don't know, just something about the way it's put together irritates me. I need to get back to it, going to skip Suburbs because I really don't like the city levels and I've already gone through most of them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

More related to Doom in general: Are *.DEH files only needed when playing using some source ports or vanilla?

Nowadays, a copy of dehacked patch is generally embedded in the wad, so that ports that autoload embedded dehacked lumps (MBF, ZDoom, Doomsday, and anything derived from one of those such as PrBoom[+], Eternity, Risen3D, GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.; which should cover just about everything people in this thread use except for Chocolate Doom) will load it automatically. The external patch (.deh file) is provided as a convenience for people who use Chocolate Doom or the vanilla exe.

For old stuff, however (like Batman Doom, All Hell is Breaking Loose, or whatever), embedded dehacked isn't provided, so you have to load the patch in the old fashioned way. You can check by opening wad files in SLADE 3, or by just running the game and seeing if it doesn't look like things are completely broken.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 23, 2013

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Zaphod42 posted:

Playing through Doom II properly, having a pretty good time. It reminds me of different parts of Doom, and there's some cool new poo poo here (new enemies are very well done). But it also feels like a total mishmash of styles, where I could kinda see Doom as "phobos techbase" and then "deimos labs/demon invasion buildings" and then "hell itself", this just feels all over the place, although the variety is fun too.

11 O of Destruction this was pretty brutal, with a cyberdemon shooting at you over nukage pits from the very start. :(

What? There shouldn't be a Cyberdemon in MAP11, at least not in normal single-player UV.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

Nowadays, a copy of dehacked patch is generally embedded in the wad, so that ports that autoload embedded dehacked lumps (MBF, ZDoom, Doomsday, and anything derived from one of those such as PrBoom[+], Eternity, Risen3D, GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.; which should cover just about everything people in this thread use except for Chocolate Doom) will load it automatically.

Ah that explains it!

kmxexii posted:

What? There shouldn't be a Cyberdemon in MAP11, at least not in normal single-player UV.

IIRC the cyberdemon only shows up in multiplayer. I know it made an appearance when I last played through the game on co-op.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kmxexii posted:

Mak0rz posted:

IIRC the cyberdemon only shows up in multiplayer. I know it made an appearance when I last played through the game on co-op.

You're totally right; I played about half of these co-op with a buddy. I'm going to have to start over and make sure I play all of them on single player too then...

On the bright side that probably means the balance was way off and explains some things :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Every time I see this I have to wonder why more games don't have O/Us. So much fun to use.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Claustrophobia 1024 is so much fun. Because they're so tiny, few maps ever overstay their welcome and mappers get really creative with the constraints in place. Here's one map as example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJ1za8bMEs

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I thought I was King Badass for beating Scythe map29, but then I started playing map30. :stare: This is horrifying.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
ZDCMP2 started off pretty well, but it's become a bit of a slog. The hell area is very frustrating and I never feel like I have enough ammo. I much prefer the bunch of maps as opposed to one large interconnected map of a bunch of areas. The visuals are great, but it's become rather tedious and I'm not sure if I'll complete it. Some of the custom enemies are an absolute nuisance, and the homing shots from revenants as well as one of the custom enemies seem like they home a lot more accurately. I might revisit it once I'm a more experienced doomer.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Started playing through Hellbound and MAP06 made me bust out laughing near the end.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A new version of ECWolf is available for the holidays. It's just a bugfix release, so there's nothing really new about it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That Resident Evil Mercenaries wad is getting pretty ridiculous. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of new versions for the holidays, Pirate Doom! has been fairly regularly updated - the latest patch giving the piratical demons more appropriate attacks, so Imp pirates throw flaming daggers and Hell knights Sailors throw poison axes. Some new maps, too.

The whole thing is far better and smarter than a Monkey Island/Doom crossover has any right to be, bringing it up 16 levels total.