Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

The difference between the dashed lines for Western Sahara and Abyei is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Some tech genius is trying to get this on the CA ballot.

This is a terrible idea for many, many reasons, but this article seems to do a good job of it and includes the proposal. Jesus.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 21, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Some tech genius is trying to get this on the CA ballot.

http://www.sixcalifornias.info/

This is a terrible idea for many, many reasons, but this article seems to do a good job of it and includes the proposal. Jesus.

I don't have the ability to do the math but often these ideas also include embedded within them an attempt to tilt Electoral College math in favour of Republicans. If you split California into smaller states some of which will probably end up going red, it's essentially the same gambit as the GOP pushing for proportional allotment of EC but only within blue states.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I count 4 red states and two blue states coming out of that clusterfuck.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Okay so that's probably one Florida's worth of electors that go from guaranteed blue to swing or red.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Similarly, here's a map I found about proposed Texas divisions:

I'm pretty sure the capital of Plainland would be Lubbock and it would have under a million people.

e: here's a slightly different map but with more commentary:

quote:

Plainland

The plains of west Texas are conservative. So conservative that Plainland would be the most conservative state in the United States giving Barack Obama a mere 24% of the vote to John McCain's 75%. If you are not familiar with Texas do not let the geographic size fool you, it is the least populated of the new states. If a Liberal, Progressive or Democrat gets off on getting crushed in elections and wants to put on a token campaign Plainland is the place.

Population: 2,547,860
Demographics: 71% White, 4% Black, 23% Hispanic, 2% Asian
2008 Vote: McCain 75% Obama 24% Other 1%
Major Cities: Lubbock, Amarillo, Witchita Falls
Congressional Seats: 3

East Texas

East Texas is slightly more populated that Plainland. The small population increase may be enough to give East Texas an additional congressional seat. The partisan difference between Plainland and East Texas is minimal. Giving Barack Obama 29% of the vote compared to John McCain's 70%. Don't expect much love for Liberals, Progressives or Democrats here since Plainland would be the second most conservative state in the United States based on 2008 Presidential Election results. East Texas expands down into the greater Houston Metro area and is home, like Plainland, to several of the lesser populated DFW Metro area counties.

Population: 2,775,191
Demographics: 75% White, 13% Black, 10% Hispanic, 2% Asian
2008 Vote: McCain 70% Obama 29%, Other 1%
Major Cities: Tyler, Longview, College Station-Byran
Congressional Seats: 4

Trinity

Names after the trio of major cities which comprise the majority of the states population, Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington. The four county conglomeration comprises the overwhelming majority of the population with the most of the remainder along I-35 running south including the cities of Waco, Killeen-Temple, Georgetown and Round Rock. Dallas and Fort Worth would run the show and I suspect a death match of monumental proportions would ensue to see who gets the title of "State Capitol." At last we have a state where there is a county which voted for Barack Obama. Dallas County gave Barack Obama a respectable 57% of the vote in 2008, also Dallas County has by itself has a population roughly equal to Plainland. However in Trinity Dallas County was the only county to vote for Obama. Based on the 2008 results Trinity would essentially be a smaller version of old Texas mirroring the 55%-44% McCain-Obama results. Given the large population Trinity would be home to 11 congressional seats.

Population: 7,620,736
Demographics: 62% White, 13% Black, 20% Hispanic, 5% Asian
2008 Vote: McCain 55% Obama 44%, Other 1%
Major Cities: Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Waco
Congressional Seats: 11

Gulf Land

With a population of 9,142,795 Gulfland is the most populous of the new states. Austin would remain as the state Capital and the largest city is Houston. Barack Obama would have won Gulf Land in by a slim 3% margin, roughly 73,000 votes. As a slightly GOP leaning swing state Democrats would have to rely on serious get out the vote efforts in Travis, Harris and Hidalgo Counties to pull off wins. One item I have neglected to speak about up to this point is demographics. As seen in Plainland and East Texas they are rather bland, very white, Trinity is a bit more diverse. However Gulfland would join the rank of majority-minority states at 44% white, 38% hispanic, 13% black and 5% asian.

Population: 9,142,795
Demographics: 44% White, 13% Black, 38% Hispanic, 5% Asian
2008 Vote: Obama 51% McCain 48% Other 1%
Major Cities: Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi, McAllen-Edinburg
Congressional Seats: 13

El Norte

This would be a Democratic strong hold. Obama would have won El Norte with a 13% margin, larger than Pennsylvania. The cities of San Antonio and El Paso bring the majority of the population here. However El Norte is not that populous, in fact it's population is only about half a million larger than Plainland. However that may be enough to give El Norte 5 seats.

Population: 3,155,854
Demographics: 28% White, 5% Black, 64% Hispanic, 4% Asian
2008 Vote: Obama 56% McCain 43% Other 1%
Major Cities: San Antonio, El Paso
Congressional Seats: 4 or 5

The congressional seat estimates were done in an incredibly rough manner.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 21, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

The difference between the dashed lines for Western Sahara and Abyei is pretty funny.

Does anyone actually think that Western Sahara is ever going receive independence? (I don't)

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

computer parts posted:

Similarly, here's a map I found about proposed Texas divisions:

I'm pretty sure the capital of Plainland would be Lubbock and it would have under a million people.

e: here's a slightly different map but with more commentary:

Yeah I was going to say, I did the math (roughly) on the first map, and while Lubbock is probably the capital, that batch of counties works out to over two and a half million people, which is about twice what I was expecting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Map of countries by cannabis use by percentage of the population.

Guessing there's ritual significance for the high rates in Papua New Guinea and Ghana?

Found it somewhat amusing at least :P

I know I've seen really different numbers for this. Several years ago I thought the numbers were a few Caribbean nations at the top.

After some googling I can't find anything so maybe I'm full of poo poo. But I have a really hard time believing that a higher percentage of the US population smokes pot than Canada or freaking Jamacia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The concept of dividing Texas originated in the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States, signed in 1 March 1845. Under Article II, Texas may be divided into "new States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution." The provision was included to calm fears that Texas would undo the fragile Missouri Compromise. If either the Free and Slave states threatened to overpower the other, Texas could always be divided until balance was reached again.

Article IV Section 3 of The United States Constitution expressly prohibits Texas, or any other state, from dividing up and forming smaller states without Congressional approval. Modern Texas divisionists argue that Congress already granted Texas approval by ratifying the Texas Annexation Treaty and that the state would not need to petition Congress if it wanted to divide itself in the future. As unlikely as it is that Texas would divide itself, it is an interesting possibility to imagine. In addition to the maps above, there were a few pre-21st century proposals.

QuoProQuid posted:

Both during Texas' admittance to the Union and after the Civil War there were numerous proposals to divide Texas. Although most these suggestions were not taken seriously, the following proposals were the most popular:

This map was proposed during the Texan Constitutional Convention of 1866. Eastern Texas was densely populated compared to its western counterpart. The suggestion to divide the state was meant to ensure the interests of Eastern settlers who had little in common culturally, economically and politically with their rural counterparts. It also would have sold the largely empty basin and range region to the United States. This proposal was rejected and countered with the suggestion below.

At the same Constitutional Convention, Elisha Pease proposed that a much larger chunk of western Texas be sold to the federal government, but the rest of Texas remain a united state. The proposal received some mild support and was sent to committee. However, the committee degenerated into fights and when the delegates tried to divide Texas into North, East, South, and West Texas. Further attempts to break the territory down led to the committee's disintegration.

In 1869, Radical Republicans proposed breaking Texas down into two states: Texas and Lincoln. Southern Texas was perceived as far more Unionist and was an attractive destination for northern settlers after the Civil War. This suggestion died in committee.

In 1870, another proposal was made for parts of Texas to be made territories and later admitted as States according to Reconstruction plans. The plan reached the House floor but was voted down by southern Republicans. The plan saw a brief resurgence in popularity in 1914 in a dispute over utilities.

West Texas was constantly neglected for state-level government attention during the early part of the 1900s and its influence minimized because of gerrymandering. After the revival of the 1870 plan, West Texan politicians proposed different solution. It was popularly received by West Texan residents and received significant national coverage. However, state lawmakers negotiated a settlement and the issue died around 1915. It was the last serious proposal to divide Texas.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 21, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ecureuilmatrix posted:

It's not all ex-French colonies, but it does look link most of them (AOF+AEF). What the heck is going on here?

Doesn't seem to be a religious thing. Mali/Sénégal VS Congo/Zambia.

I think it's just because there's no law explicitly against it. It doesn't say "marriage" just "consensual relationships".

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I think it's just because there's no law explicitly against it. It doesn't say "marriage" just "consensual relationships".

Oui, bien sûr, mais là n'est pas la question.

My question is why? Why do those states have legal homosexuality while others don't? It doesn't look like a random distribution, there is a near-complete (SA.za, Bissau) geographic continuity.

If it was clearly AEF+AOF, we might conclude it has to do with the Code Civil. But it's not: the gay-"friendly" zone includes Bel.Congo, Guinee-Bissau and Guinea Equatorial and excludes Cameroun, Togo, Guinée, Sénégambie and Mauritanie. It's similar enough to the french colonial domain to attract notice but not identical enough to conclude with confidence.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Where women wear hijab, according to Wikipedia:

Not sure of the sources, or why "quite common" means less prevalent than "common". The meaning of "legal restrictions" also varies between countries.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Oui, bien sûr, mais là n'est pas la question.

My question is why? Why do those states have legal homosexuality while others don't? It doesn't look like a random distribution, there is a near-complete (SA.za, Bissau) geographic continuity.

If it was clearly AEF+AOF, we might conclude it has to do with the Code Civil. But it's not: the gay-"friendly" zone includes Bel.Congo, Guinee-Bissau and Guinea Equatorial and excludes Cameroun, Togo, Guinée, Sénégambie and Mauritanie. It's similar enough to the french colonial domain to attract notice but not identical enough to conclude with confidence.

Why isn't it illegal for a chicken to cross a road in Minnesota? Because no one cares.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Where women wear hijab, according to Wikipedia:

Not sure of the sources, or why "quite common" means less prevalent than "common". The meaning of "legal restrictions" also varies between countries.

I think because it has two definitions that mean almost exact opposite things.

So quite common = somewhat/slightly common, not completely/utterly common. It's really a bad word to pick for something like that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Was discussing American school shootings with a friend, he asked why Colorado has the most shootings and I said it didn't, and found this map to back myself up.

That is... a depressing map. Also interesting in that it's such a ~mostly~ even spread; California's had a lot more school shootings than I would've guessed, but for the most part there's an equal distribution of massacres everywhere. :sigh:

Link here, with a lot more information. http://www.squidoo.com/school-shooting-statistics-by-state#module92720441

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Minrad posted:

Was discussing American school shootings with a friend, he asked why Colorado has the most shootings and I said it didn't, and found this map to back myself up.

That is... a depressing map. Also interesting in that it's such a ~mostly~ even spread; California's had a lot more school shootings than I would've guessed, but for the most part there's an equal distribution of massacres everywhere. :sigh:

Link here, with a lot more information. http://www.squidoo.com/school-shooting-statistics-by-state#module92720441

It's not really related to gun ownership either:

e: example states for percentages (in ascending order) because the colors are weird:

- New Jersey
- New York
- Ohio
- Michigan
- Missouri
- Kentucky
- West Virginia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Minrad posted:

That map is wrong because Indiana is listed with 0 even though it's had 7, five since 1960.

edit: or is this just counting widespread Columbine-like shootings? All of them in Indiana have resulted in around 8 deaths total.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

That map is wrong because Indiana is listed with 0 even though it's had 7, five since 1960.

edit: or is this just counting widespread Columbine-like shootings? All of them in Indiana have resulted in around 8 deaths total.

Yeah Maryland has had at least one too. I'm not sure where they are pulling those numbers from.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's not really related to gun ownership either:

e: example states for percentages (in ascending order) because the colors are weird:

- New Jersey
- New York
- Ohio
- Michigan
- Missouri
- Kentucky
- West Virginia

Well, the shootings map seems to relate to population density, and this gun ownership maps shows percentage so it's not really comparable. More people = more schools = larger chance for a shooting, simple as that.

E: I don't know that much about population density in America (except that most people live in the northeast and southwest), but is it possible that the person who said CO has had the most shootings, meant most shootings per capita?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 23, 2013

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ecureuilmatrix posted:

That might be a coincidence, but there are some Christian groups in America influencing anti-gay movements in some parts of Africa, most notably Uganda. Perhaps their influence reflects the continuity?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Carbon dioxide posted:

E: I don't know that much about population density in America (except that most people live in the northeast and southwest),

You probably mean midwest by the way:

(California is traditionally not considered the "Southwest", it's the the West; the SW is usually Arizona, New Mexico, and maybe Nevada/Utah)

e: as a fun side note, compare the above map with this map of land owned by the Federal Government (i.e., National Parks and the like):

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 23, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

:psyduck:

So wait are there things in Nevada besides federally owned parks and military installations, or have I been lied to all this time?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

:psyduck:

So wait are there things in Nevada besides federally owned parks and military installations, or have I been lied to all this time?

Vegas mostly, it seems.

also, that weird wavy pattern in the north of the state (and elsewhere like in Southern California) is apparently due to the Checkerboarding grants that the feds gave out back when the Transcontinental Railroad was being built:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

You probably mean midwest by the way:

That map shows the midwest as being the least populated area though? Or does midwest mean something different from what I think it means? (Which is western part of the middle).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

That map shows the midwest as being the least populated area though? Or does midwest mean something different from what I think it means? (Which is western part of the middle).

Midwest is traditionally these states:

As defined by the Census anyway. (I guess it's more the Great Lakes region I'm thinking of but you get the idea)

Anywhere west of the Texas Panhandle is traditionally considered just the West.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 23, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

Midwest is traditionally these states:

As defined by the Census anyway.

Anywhere west of the Texas Panhandle is traditionally considered just the West.

:psyduck: That's almost entirely in the eastern half of the country though! I'm assuming the term has just stuck around from before the US expanded westward?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah pretty much, in fact you could add parts of Pennsylvania and upstate New York / anything west of the Appalachians and north of West Virginia, to that definition if you wanted, and remove the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas.

In fact, the eastern half of that red chunk was/is sometimes called the Old Northwest because it was the northwest corner of the country before the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.

edit: Here you go, stolen straight from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Territory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_region

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2013

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It's the Mid-West because it's in between 'us' (the Northeast) and the West. Same as the Middle East. At least that's how it was explained to me.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

made of bees posted:

It's the Mid-West because it's in between 'us' (the Northeast) and the West. Same as the Middle East. At least that's how it was explained to me.

So, if I live in California, I will call it Mid-East? And regarding Middle East, some Europeans (maybe all?) call it Near East.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

:psyduck: That's almost entirely in the eastern half of the country though! I'm assuming the term has just stuck around from before the US expanded westward?

It's partially that and partially that it's (The West I mean) not really all that populated. Like, in the 2010 census the West as I defined it had a population of ~69 million. That's about 22.5% of the population, but with about 1.2 million out of 3.2 million square miles (or 37.5%). Take out California and you have about 31 million people (~10%) but with 1.03 million sq miles (or 32.2% of the area).

(this is excluding Alaska and Hawaii but those only add ~2 million people).

e2: the 3.2 million square miles refers to the contiguous United states area only as well.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 23, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah the area between California/Oregon and Iowa/Minnesota is basically mountainous wasteland and/or extremely flat wasteland. The states I outlined in this picture have slightly less than 20 million people combined, while Illinois on its own has almost 13 million

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

marktheando posted:

Yep, same reason Northwestern University is in Illinois

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Vegas mostly, it seems.

also, that weird wavy pattern in the north of the state (and elsewhere like in Southern California) is apparently due to the Checkerboarding grants that the feds gave out back when the Transcontinental Railroad was being built:

Very neat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Disco Infiva posted:

So, if I live in California, I will call it Mid-East? And regarding Middle East, some Europeans (maybe all?) call it Near East.
As an East Coaster, I believe the world is a long narrow strip of inhabitable land traversed by I-95. To the East is the Ocean, to the West are mountains, beyond the mountains there is only an infinite mystery. What is California?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Riptor posted:

:eng101: The Big Ten Conference it is a founding member of was in its earliest years colloquially referred to as the "Western Conference" (since the official name at the time was "Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives"), even though its westernmost member was in Minneapolis.

(Never mind that conferences in the Mountain and Pacific regions would be founded within ten years... :eng99:)

Disco Infiva posted:

And regarding Middle East, some Europeans (maybe all?) call it Near East.

The Near East/Middle East/Far East distinction apparently fell out of favor around the time the Ottoman Empire (which was by that point effectively synonymous with "Near East") was dissolved. By the '50s the State Department viewed "Near East" and "Middle East" as referring to the same area.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 23, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Disco Infiva posted:

So, if I live in California, I will call it Mid-East?

No because naming conventions in the United States don't start with you or really any other specific person today.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

A map of America at the time of Northwestern's founding in 1851:

Northwestern was named after (and created to serve) the states of the former Northwest territory, which stopped existing in 1803.

Northwestern's history is really cool and I would do an effortpost on it if it was interesting to people other than me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basil Hayden posted:

:eng101: The Big Ten Conference it is a founding member of was in its earliest years colloquially referred to as the "Western Conference" (since the official name at the time was "Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives"), even though its westernmost member was in Minneapolis.

(Never mind that conferences in the Mountain and Pacific regions would be founded within ten years... :eng99:)

And that led to one of the :smug:-est fight songs in all of College Football (which I love ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgw3gtzWfaA

quote:

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
The champions of the West!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah the area between California/Oregon and Iowa/Minnesota is basically mountainous wasteland and/or extremely flat wasteland. The states I outlined in this picture have slightly less than 20 million people combined, while Illinois on its own has almost 13 million

Not to mention that the Upper Midwest is distinct from the rest of the Midwest, and the Northern Plains from the Southern Plains.