Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If you didn't know it you may not have bent anything just twisted up the forks in the triples. Loosen everything up and retighten it and if it was twisted it will go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That stinks, dude. Glad you made it out OK. Did you pour salt on your elbow?

Koruthaiolos posted:

I know I was thinking more about what I had to do when I got to work instead of focusing on riding.

I think we've all been there before. I ran a four-way stop sign a few years ago because I was all wrapped up in trying to guess if my bike was running lean once -- luckily the oncoming driver saw me. You gotta ride in the moment.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

kenny powerzzz posted:

If you didn't know it you may not have bent anything just twisted up the forks in the triples. Loosen everything up and retighten it and if it was twisted it will go back.

Oh yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I just went out and looked at it in better light and I think all that happened was the handlebars got rotated forward when the handguards hit the pavement. The best I can tell the forks look straight but I didn't have time to look at it too closely right now.

Safety Dance posted:

That stinks, dude. Glad you made it out OK. Did you pour salt on your elbow?
Oh poo poo, I knew I forgot something, brb

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Bullshit. Everyone knows the only ways you can crash a sumo are looping or endoing.

Glad you're okay. Also glad you're still riding. I'm wearing long underwear just sitting here in my house. What gloves were you wearing? I'm thinking I need to get some with palm sliders.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I picked up some Rukka Lobster gloves when it started getting cold. I was a bit dubious about their protective qualities - they don't have any kind of protection on the back and just leather on the palm, plus the plastic slider on the heel of the hand. But for the type of riding I'd use them for - commuting around the city - that level of protection works out pretty good. Looking at them now the only part that shows any wear is the plastic sliders so I'm pretty happy with them.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat man sorry to hear about the fall. Glad you're okay. Out of curiosity what kind of gloves do you use in the other 3 seasons? This is making me think about how my $10 Icons would probably shred the second they touch the ground.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

An older version of the Rev'it Sand gloves. They have padding on the palm but it doesn't look super resilient. I think in the same or slightly faster accident they would protect my hand almost as well but would probably need to be replaced whereas the Rukkas just have scratches on the plastic and I have no problem using them immediately.

I rode home and the bike felt fine. All the controls just felt a little further away so I rotated the handlebars back some and it feels good now. The right footpeg is pretty mangled so I'm replacing that. It's still rideable but not comfortable to stand on the peg at all. $25 for a lesson in not being an absentminded moron on a bike. I'm really happy with how the bike stood up to the drop, sumos 4ever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
motorcycles need wheels on the sides out like wings so instead of dropping it you can still ride on but look like you just meant to be badass for a little bit.

gently caress yeah. Rolling frame sliders, who's with me? :woop:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/twist-of-the-wrist-no-slide-bike1.jpeg

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That looks cool, if you were my GRANDMA. :smuggo:

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

Crossing a mini roundabout with complete right of way and a girl pulls out from the left turning, came across me and I ploughed into her door at about 30. Took out her window, made her airbags go off and my head cracked her windscreen! Definitely need a new lid after this.

This was on monday and the tissue damage to my legs (the only injury I really sustained) still makes it hard to walk without crutches but I'm otherwise unhurt. Got some wicked black bruises though.

Atleast I'm completely in the right and I'll get everything reimbursed, I'm going to need it after paying £250 just to get the bike out of storage!

Hasn't made me want to stop riding at all, infact this is a perfect opportunity to take my A2 test and get that KTM duke 390 I've had my eye on since it came out!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Looks like you came out pretty well in that one, all things considered. Get well.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ouch dude, but at least you came out with nothing broken (besides the bike :v:)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus that sucks. I hope she cried.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh. People who don't know how to use roundabouts. :mad:

Pretty much the one thing that still gives me the fear because it's one of the hardest things to mitigate. Glad you're OK mate.

Slavvy posted:

I hope she cried.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I hope she was charged.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know how to use roundabouts. I crashed my GL145 today at the heady speed of 30km/h while racing a BMW 630i. I entered the roundabout (in a low-traffic industrial area) too quickly and the 20 year old front tyre said NOPE. Bike slid for a few meters, the only visible damage that wasn't already there is a scraped up foot peg. Only damage to me is some slight scuffing on my jacket shoulder and a friction burn on my elbow the size of a beer bottle cap.

I learned that lovely old bias ply tyres really are lovely, that lovely old bikes really are lovely, and that there's no point in thrashing the bike equivalent of a Daihatsu mira.

This was also the first crash I've had that didn't involve enormous psychological trauma and "OH poo poo I JUST hosed MY NICE BIKE I'M AN IDIOT!". The first thing through my mind was "I hope I haven't hurt myself!" followed by "I hope this turd starts up and gets me to work."

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
BT45s are pretty good tires and fit a lot of old poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The profiles on this thing are 2.75-18 and 3.25-18, I don't know if BT45's come in that size. Ultimately the bike has hosed suspension anyway and isn't really intended for beating on; normally I don't do it but because of the holidays there was no traffic coming into work. I just need to get out on my zx10 more often.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

Looks like they'd work.

Edit:
You can unfuck at least the shocks fairly cheaply with a set of Hagons.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The BT45's are a good tire but the ones I had tended to get a bit hard in the cold. Avon sells the "roadrider" and Pirelli sells the "sport demons". I've had better luck with both those when it starts dipping below 45*f.

I put a set of Hagons on my GS450 and I like em. An alternative if you don't like Hagon is Gazi ( http://www.gazisuspension.com/ )

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 24, 2013

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Went riding today and ended up dumping the bike. I came onto a straight and opened the throttle, noticing the stop sign halfway down too late. With 120ish feet to go, I DID see the car turning onto the road from the stop. I emergency braked as hard as I could, but 10 feet from the car I was still going too fast and braked harder. The rear locked up and I went down 6 inches from the rear of the car. Left side of the bike took all the damage. If I hadn't fixated on the car I might have been able to find more stopping room.

My knee hit first, followed by the front of my helmet, then I rolled a bit. Bike stayed put. Speed when I went down was under ten, I believe. After laying there for a second adrenaline kicked in and I got up to walk towards the now stopped car I almost hit. Many profuse apologies were said by myself, and they said they never even saw me. Fortunately, I never hit them, though I think I was thrown onto their bumper for a second. It's such a good thing I didn't ruin their day with my overreaching my skills.

The frame sliders saved most of the bike, but I still have a list of things to repair. After sitting on the side of the road for 35 minutes, I resolved to just remove the shifter rearsets that were to bent to use and just start the bike moving down a hill in neutral before shifting into first. I rode home in first, never stopping, very creatively.

I'm still a little in shock, and resigned to whatever it's going to cost me to get back running. My knee is killing me, but I don't think it's broken. Advil, ice packs, and beer are helping. If I hadn't had full gear, I'd likely have broken toes, broken knee, and no face. I'll think twice before riding like that again. It's embarrassing and I hate that I bothered people with all this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could be worse - a new lever is $9 from Amazon and a folding shift lever is $45. Don't you have the SV with the R6 front calipers...? I think it's time for you to learn how to use the front brake properly.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Appreciate that. I agree, could be much worse. I have the SV with the 06 GSXR front brakes/shocks. It's much more bike than my skill level. The front never had problems. I locked the rear, but in retrospect I could have gone much harder on the front. Sucks. Fortunately I have a front lever I bought but didn't get around to putting on. The left rearset is toast because that lever is bent so far, and I guess I'll just hunt down another.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Post up a pic of your front end and the rearset that's broken - we'll get you part links. I really want to say that your bike has R6 front calipers (which are bomb as gently caress) since I remember seeing it for sale here.

This is going to sound crazy but if you've got a warm tire you're pretty much not going to lock the front unless you just rip the brake lever... when you're rideable get the front tire warm and find a parking lot where you can feel what actual full braking in the front feels like - don't touch the rear just get comfortable with being on the brakes hard enough that the rear starts getting very, very light.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wow, dude. I'm glad your gear worked as intended. I'm glad to hear you're OK and you're fixing the bike up. Shouldn't be super expensive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If only you had lived and breathed riding 24/7 you would've had the skill to stop in time. Unfortunately you're just a normal person and did all you could do :rolleyes:

In seriousness, I think you're pretty lucky in that you didn't hit their car. If you think this is an embarassing headache, imagine what life would be like if you had hit someone else's vehicle in the process.

Also this:

BlackMK4 posted:

Could be worse - a new lever is $9 from Amazon and a folding shift lever is $45. Don't you have the SV with the R6 front calipers...? I think it's time for you to learn how to use the front brake properly.

And to add to that, shift levers on an SV are like crumple zones on a car: seemingly intentionally made of cheese and bend when you breathe on them. Also that is sweet headlight replacement, I've never seen the like. Your gear certainly did the trick, too! Gloves are cheaper than fingers.

Worth adding that while you were giving it death down the street, the driver of the car completely failed to see you and turned on anyway. The situation would've been much worse if the timing was different and they pulled out six feet in front of you. This is just a really lucky crash to have in general, as far as crashes go.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

In seriousness, I think you're pretty lucky in that you didn't hit their car. If you think this is an embarassing headache, imagine what life would be like if you had hit someone else's vehicle in the process.

Hah, yeah, this. My big crash (rear ended a dude on the interstate) was made so much worse by the fact that my itty bitty bike put a dent in a Nissan's back bumper.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I entered the roundabout (in a low-traffic industrial area) too quickly and the 20 year old front tyre said NOPE. Bike slid for a few meters, the only visible damage that wasn't already there is a scraped up foot peg. Only damage to me is some slight scuffing on my jacket shoulder and a friction burn on my elbow the size of a beer bottle cap.

I learned that lovely old bias ply tyres really are lovely, that lovely old bikes really are lovely, and that there's no point in thrashing the bike equivalent of a Daihatsu mira."

Um, 20-year-old tires? Not sure what "lovely old bike" you had, but no bike should be running on tires that are 15 years past their shelf life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a bike that cost me $400 bucks and IDGAF. According to the law it is a roadworthy bike and that's all that matters for a commuter I'll only ever be using to filter through 30km's of motionless traffic.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
:ohdear: please get new tires slavvy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, I genuinely want to but they'll cost me more than the bike did. And I'd rather spend that money on new riding gear/helmet/boondoggles for my zx10. The cheapest tyres I can find are $300 a pair plus fitting which really isn't worth it for a glorified scooter that rarely sees more than 60km/h. If I stay within the bike's hilariously low limits I have no issue.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, I genuinely want to but they'll cost me more than the bike did. And I'd rather spend that money on new riding gear/helmet/boondoggles for my zx10. The cheapest tyres I can find are $300 a pair plus fitting which really isn't worth it for a glorified scooter that rarely sees more than 60km/h. If I stay within the bike's hilariously low limits I have no issue.

...except you've already crashed once? Dude!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Slavvy don't need no rubber on his wheels. Keep the faith Slavvy.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Tires are a ripoff when you consider how much salt one can purchase for that amount of money.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Tires are a ripoff when you consider how much salt one can purchase for that amount of money.

Wisdom

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

...except you've already crashed once? Dude!

...While giving it absolute death (needlessly) with the knowledge that I have a good chance of dropping it if I kept it up. I'm not bothered. If some decent tyres come up on special I'll get some.

edit: SA has just gone nuts for me and I can barely post at all, what the gently caress

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 28, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I went for a Christmas Day ride.

I found out late yesterday one of the guys from the group died on his way home. He left Campo CA (our destination) for home before me and took a different route.

I saw the CHP creating a traffic stop on the 94 very shortly after he wrecked. I didn't know at the time it was for him as I was going the opposite way.

He was 20 and not your stereotypical motorcycle navy guy. Very friendly and eager to learn. The opposite of macho and showy. I talked tires with him for 10 minutes before we began the ride. A few hours later he was gone.

I have pics of him and his bike on my phone. It's a weird feeling.

That's three people in 2013 I know (not close friends, but acquaintances) that have died on bikes. That just seems way over the top. They run the gamut in age and experience so this is not a case of "kids on bikes" (although in this specific case, he was a 20 year old on a 2013 Ducati).

Here's the news story: http://www.cbs8.com/story/24304528/fatal-motorcycle-crash-on-sr-94

I don't know how I feel about the whole thing. I know accidents happen every day but three in a year is hard to digest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
God drat dude that sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that and it honestly never really gets any easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's awful Stugazi. I'm really sorry you have to be so familiar with that.

After that my crash and requests seem so pedestrian. For some reason I really want to get back out on the bike and am trying to bite the bullet on online parts and gear replacements today. All of your feedback and observation made me feel a lot less bad about my drop. It could have easily been much worse. Practice is needed for sure, though.

Looking at my clutch lever, does it look like a normal stock sv lever? Where can I find a REALLY cheap replacement that looks the same as that one? I have some of those china spiffy shorty levers, but I don't like how they look and don't really want to use them. Plus, my brake lever is part of some special tien mechanism and I don't think stock levers fit it. Before the crash I was thinking of stocking out that lever.

I need that front silver ring that goes on the stock headlamp bucket. What is that called? I really like that OSRAM projector HID and am glad it was spared.

My rearsets are silver CFMotorsports Woodcraft and the lever and peg on the left side are bent. I can't see that they sell parts piecemeal for these. Furthermore, it looks like I can only get them in L/R pairs. Anywhere I can get a good price on just the shifter side?

My bar end mirror and bar end on the left side is toast. That's not such a bad thing as I wanted to replace them. What's a good black bar end weight? Will any one do? On the mirror side of things, I'd really like to run Tuono mirrors for a narrower profile. Problem is those screw into things on fairings. What's a good thing that I can put on my handlebars to screw those into?

My tank has a dent in it, but replacements online are 250+, so I'm going to hold off and wait for a cheaper one. My tail handle is rashed up from when the bike was...upside down?! All I know is it kept my tail plastics from taking damage so it did a good thing. Those look like they are 40+, and I don't know if I should wait on that or not.

My frame slider is still serviceable. Should I replace it? I hear there are bad ones. What is a good one? I'm very impressed with how well it saved my frame and engine parts.

A fall like mine wouldn't mess up the rear suspension/swingarm, wheel, etc right? I don't see any scuffs anywhere back there on those parts, and riding home in first I didn't feel any oddness. The chain didn't come off which I would expect if I bent something back there.

• Locked thread