Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

helno posted:

It can keep going without the grid but cant start. PHT pumps take more power than the standby generators can deliver. We need around 40 Mw to run up.

Very few power plants can darkstart. I worked at a hydro plant that could, they had a battery box with jumper cables you could hook directly to the brushgear and a mechanical governor.
How does the grid recover after a widespread blackout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
You only need a handful that can darkstart to get the grid going again. That and it would be extremely rare to have a complete failure of the grid with all generators offline.

Even in 2003 there were parts of the grid that islanded and were able to bootstrap the rest once they figured out what was wrong. This is where protection schemes need to be very well orchestrated.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

afen posted:

Why do you guys talk about motor power in HP? I've always used kW when talking about electric motors.

The kilo-watt (KW) is a unit of electrical energy in the US.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Groda posted:

The kilo-watt (KkW) is a unit of electrical energy power in the US.

Watts are a measure of power. Energy is power over a certain amount of time. Energy is measured in kWh (as in, one kilowatt for one hour), J, or BTU depending on the context.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Enilev posted:

Watts are a measure of power. Energy is power over a certain amount of time. Energy is measured in kWh (as in, one kilowatt for one hour), J, or BTU depending on the context.

No, I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Groda posted:

Do tell.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
edit: beaten

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 23, 2013

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
edit: nm, I want to see how this turns out

:munch:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Noctone posted:

Do tell.

It's a U.S. Customary unit: 1 kilowatt x 1 hour = 1 kilo-watt

Groda fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Groda posted:

So you're saying a kilowatt is a kilowatt / hour?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Even if what you're saying is true (which I highly doubt and can't find any reference to), it doesn't invalidate enilev's post.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Groda posted:

Groda, I'd love to see a source for this.

I need to call my electric company and tell them they're billing me in the wrong unit. :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kilowatt‐hours in general are kind of dumb when joules exist, but at least I’ve never seen someone misuse the “kilo‐watt” like that before.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I prefer calories.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
BTU is not in the SI and therefore unholy and shall never be used.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think Tons of Cooling has BTU beat as far as archaic units go.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

NihilismNow posted:

BTU is not in the SI and therefore unholy and shall never be used.

Also, having six definitions and being used as a unit of power in the US...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Guy Axlerod posted:

You need to tell me more about this amazing unit NOW.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Guy Axlerod posted:

Blasphemy! Tons is not only the first, but clearly the best unit for measuring heating and cooling. That's why every virtually AC unit you buy in the US today is marketed in "tons".

Two Finger: it represents cooling power associated with freezing (or melting) a ton of ice per day. BTU was created so that 12000 BTU/hr = 1 ton.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 24, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Two Finger posted:

You need to tell me more about this amazing unit NOW.

In ye olden days, if you wanted something cooled significantly below room temperature, your only option was ice.

For millennia, only kings could afford to have ice hauled from distant locales to chill their beverages, but in the nineteenth century harvesting, storing, and delivering ice year‐round became a major industry.

If you wanted your building cooled (generally because it was a warehouse storing perishable food), you could contract with the ice company to deliver x tons of ice to you every day. You just let the blocks of ice sit around and melt, cooling your stuff in the process.

That’s where ton comes from in refrigeration context: it’s the amount of cooling provided by one short ton of ice, delivered daily. When mechanical refrigeration came along and you decided to modernise your warehouse, you replaced daily deliveries of x tons of ice with an x‐ton refrigeration unit.

This makes it a unit of power. I have a 0.024‐ton computer.

If you think about it, it’s no weirder than bomb megatons. Only a few hundred tons of TNT have ever been gathered in the same place and detonated, but that doesn’t stop us from extrapolating to rate atomic bombs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Groda posted:

Groda don't take this the wrong way, but you are absolutely wrong here. Like red flag illuminated with flashing lights level wrong.

As mentioned before: power is measured in watts, watts integrated over time is energy (in joules, kwh, etceteras,)

Like on the power meter I use at work, there are charts for power and energy. The bus might show a constant load around 2MW, and over an eight hour period the energy chart is a upward line (y=2x+c) and starting at zero, after eight hours gets up to 16MWh.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 25, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

I also never understood why everything has HP ratings, contactors, breakers, etc.

Aren't we beyond that by now? Code says everything must be HP rated, but it seems like there are instances where that's not sufficient to size things properly. I usually size things based on nameplate FLA, and even that's flawed since your inrush curve is different for different motors.

Seems to me that the HP or kW rating are missing gobs of important information on the electrical side.

HP is voltage-independent, which allows mechanical engineers to just specify a HP and then feign ignorance to this crazy concept called "voltage" and wipe their hands clean.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Three-Phase posted:

Groda don't take this the wrong way, but you are absolutely wrong here. Like red flag illuminated with flashing lights level wrong.
Okay, no more playing it straight--I'm just joking about how much people say "kilowatt" as shorthand for "kilowatt-hours" in the US, even in the industry. As an EE, you probably don't hear it as much at work, I'd assume...

Papercut posted:

HP is voltage-independent, which allows mechanical engineers to just specify a HP and then feign ignorance to this crazy concept called "voltage" and wipe their hands clean.
At the US coal plant I interned at while an undergraduate student in Sweden, the only power unit on our GE turbine's nameplate was "134 100 hp." The generator was labeled in metric, at least.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Platystemon posted:

....Tons of refrigeration...
Huh! I will admit I was not aware of the stored natural ice origination of the unit, and that is very cool, pun intended.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

All that talk about using PPE a few pages ago is making me wonder if it's safe to flip the house breaker at all.

At a summer job, I got to flip a 600VAC switch for a plug for a pressure washer. I had my doubts about it when I was doing it, but turned out ok. I later learned I should have been using a wooden stick to throw the switch.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

All that talk about using PPE a few pages ago is making me wonder if it's safe to flip the house breaker at all.

At a summer job, I got to flip a 600VAC switch for a plug for a pressure washer. I had my doubts about it when I was doing it, but turned out ok. I later learned I should have been using a wooden stick to throw the switch.

Depends on a lot of things, and the problem is most things aren't labeled properly right now. Calculations and labeling for arc flash hazards are relatively new, and very few places label equipment properly. I've only been to one job site that bothered to do a proper study and label things, and that was in Canada at a site that was for a huge multi-national oil company.

I don't have a copy of NFPA 70E handy, but I'm 90% sure it's perfectly safe to flip anything in your house. Don't quote me on this, but I think that anything 240VAC single phase or less doesn't require PPE as long as there are no exposed terminals (which is a shock hazard, not an arc flash hazard). I think one of the requirements is that it's on the isolated secondary of a transformer, which is what your house is probably supplied by. Transformers do a pretty good job of limiting fault current, so if a fault happens it's not going to provide enough energy for things to explode in your face, especially at lower voltages.

The 600VAC was probably not entirely safe to switch without some degree of PPE, the minimum being safety glasses, hearing protection, long-sleeve cotton shirt (non-melting material), long pants (non-melting material), cotton underwear/socks (non-melting material), and leather gloves.

But that's the minimum required. It all depends on the amount of energy that the circuit can deliver in the event of a fault (e.g. short circuit). A typical household circuit breaker can withstand 10,000 amps before failing destructively (i.e. exploding in your face). This may sound like a lot, but in an industrial or commercial setting it isn't (though in a home it's more than enough). Most power sources can supply a lot more than that in the event of a short circuit.

One thing to remember is that the PPE is only calculated to ensure that you survive an arc flash with nothing worse than 2nd degree burns. You're still going to get hurt, but you'll live without too much permanent damage.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just make sure all panel covers are installed, and figure out why it's tripping.

I would like to note however, that all entrance cable which is before your main breaker, is protected only by your utility and is EXTREMELY hazardous. Say you've got a 4/0 service coming out of a 100 kva underground transformer to your house (common in a subdivision). It will take a massive amount of fault current to trip the utility protection. Probably enough to burn the fault in the clear before it trips.

In newer houses, they usually install a combination meterbase that has a main breaker. So, this dangerous current potential is limited to this one box outside and everything past the breaker is protected. But in slightly older homes, they would sometimes just have a meterbase outside, feeding a main panel somewhere in the house. The entrance cable from the meterbase to the main is a serious hazard, and in some cases is stretched all across the house depending on where they decided to locate the main panel.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Groda posted:

Okay, no more playing it straight--I'm just joking about how much people say "kilowatt" as shorthand for "kilowatt-hours" in the US, even in the industry. As an EE, you probably don't hear it as much at work, I'd assume...

More "megawatt" and "megawatt-hours". Also "megaVAR" and "megaVAR-hours" (with leading/lagging direction). But we also do horsepower but only for motors (tens of horsepower to thousands of horsepower).

DaveSauce posted:

Depends on a lot of things, and the problem is most things aren't labeled properly right now. Calculations and labeling for arc flash hazards are relatively new, and very few places label equipment properly. I've only been to one job site that bothered to do a proper study and label things, and that was in Canada at a site that was for a huge multi-national oil company.

The problem with labels is that they must be accurate. Like if I have a newly installed bus servicing six motors, those motors plus the feed will contribute to the fault current during an electrical faults (the motors can act like generators at the instant of the fault). So you have your labels. In five years you upgrade the transformer going into the bus from 500kVA with 6%Z to 750kVA with 5%Z, and add four new motors. Now the calculations need to be re-run and new labels applied.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

The risk of an arc flash would only be present with a switch under load, would it not? In an industrial/commercial environment, the load could never be assumed. In a residential environment, there's control over the load, especially if you're doing your own work. How much of it is thinking of every eventuality and how much of it is for the sake of protocol?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What if the switch is faulty?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Or your work. :P

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One example I saw was a story about this guy who couldn't open a fairly big 600V disconnect after it was installed. He pulled pretty hard on the lever, but no dice. Eventually they decided to have an outage. They kill power feeding the panel, bypass the switch interlock, and remove the cover. It turns out the switch mechanism was in the path of one of the cables, blocking it from operating. It was even starting to dig through the insulation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note to self: don’t pull too hard. :stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had a trouble call on a sewage lift station one Saturday morning, electrician said one phase is out. It's a big platform bank, 480 corner ground delta. Their switchgear and breaker panel are inside a fence directly under the platform structure. It is a relatively confined space for them, in front of the panel.

I check voltage ok up top, but they still have bad phase to phase on one leg, on the load side of one of their breakers. They decide to reset the breaker. I ask them to let me get set up to pull the fuses up top just in case. He throws it off, then back on, and it starts sizzling like bacon in a pan.

He throws it off again, and as I say "I don't think that's a go..." he goes on with it and the back of the panel lights up like an arc welder. I ran out and snatched the fuses as quick as I could. Fortunately no one was hurt, which was luck given their proximity, and the cover plates they had already removed which exposed them further. As I recall, they said the breaker had an internal fault.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm surprised the fuses didn't stop the fault... :stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you mean the high side fuses, they're at least 150% of kva, maybe more on that bank, and there is a delay curve on all our fuses. Everything in utility protection assumes a fault is temporary and gives time to clear it.

Why their fuses didn't clear it, well that's a good question. I didn't get to look at it afterwards, maybe the fault path limited the current somehow.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If it was an arc fault, that would have less current than a bolted fault. Which would result in longer clearing times.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Groda posted:

At the US coal plant I interned at while an undergraduate student in Sweden, the only power unit on our GE turbine's nameplate was "134 100 hp." The generator was labeled in metric, at least.

You know, those could have been metric horsepower.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

Per google unit calculator:
1 metric horsepower =
735.49875 watts

This. This is why we cannot have nice things. :argh:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

angryrobots posted:

He throws it off again, and as I say "I don't think that's a go..." he goes on with it and the back of the panel lights up like an arc welder. I ran out and snatched the fuses as quick as I could. Fortunately no one was hurt, which was luck given their proximity, and the cover plates they had already removed which exposed them further. As I recall, they said the breaker had an internal fault.

Stupid question! Why didn't pulling fuses on a faulted circuit cause another arc fault in your face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It does, unless you break the circuit faster than the arc can catch up with the retreating contact. At least that's how I understand it.

How fast you need to move depends entirely on the current flowing and the reactivity of the load.

• Locked thread