Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Anatharon posted:

If they didn't do that it'd just have been a gun free zone again, that's pretty nitpicky.

Other games--including the first Deus Ex--managed to find more options. That's actually a great example of failing to account for player autonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Also, the Omar in Trier spawns endless multi-tools if you purchase some while your inventory is full.
Correction - they looks like multi-tools as he drops them in the game world, but they turn into star shaped Lovecraftian beings with no purpose in your inventory.

Siiiiiiiigh.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Weirdly, I have fond memories from the one time I played IW all the way through. I tried it again last year and got through I think three loading zones before I gave up. Young me had a much higher tolerance I guess.

I just wanted to play the story supporting the other coffee shop this time :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

Other games--including the first Deus Ex--managed to find more options. That's actually a great example of failing to account for player autonomy.

I'm not saying IW is a good game,I'm saying that's a dumb thing to complain about specifically.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Since I'm pretty sure that Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex 2: Invisible War are on the same engine, I maintain that if someone remade those on a modern (read: not rubbish) engine they would make a mountain of dosh. I'd pay a healthy sum to have those games remade by someone who isn't a deranged orangutang.

I don't really have any feelings about IW, but Thief 3 is my favourite of the trilogy (and I'm well aware that I am in the vast minority there) and even I will unabashedly admit that it has serious issues.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Let me amend and correct that last bit - the SECOND time you meet the same character, standing behind the same wall, there's an elite soldier next to him. The sort of elite soldier that explodes into a cloud of deadly gas when killed.

I'm thinking to myself "could it be that the game designers were actually clever? You can't hurt regular humans with the wall hack gun, but you can kill augmented soldiers like that guy. I wonder..."

You can, in fact, dispatch that guy (though it takes forever, even with a damage upgrade on the gun). And he does, in fact, explode into a cloud of deadly gas that envelopes the plot-important character... leaving him completely and utterly unharmed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Since I'm pretty sure that Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex 2: Invisible War are on the same engine, I maintain that if someone remade those on a modern (read: not rubbish) engine they would make a mountain of dosh. I'd pay a healthy sum to have those games remade by someone who isn't a deranged orangutang.

I don't really have any feelings about IW, but Thief 3 is my favourite of the trilogy (and I'm well aware that I am in the vast minority there) and even I will unabashedly admit that it has serious issues.

I think the key difference is that Thief 3 was a pretty good game and had some good ideas even with the engine troubles, while IW has some really stupid design decisions that a new engine wouldn't entirely eliminate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So when NG resonance's manager goes "you haven't heard the last of me", that's basically the last you hear of her?

Last but not least - everyone knows that IW has two different types of multi-tools that look and work the same but don't stack, right? Well, if you have 20 of one type and 1 of the other, you can't open things that require 2 multi-tools until you dump the 1.

Oh well. Biomod or Shifter for a Deus Ex 1 playthrough?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Man, I have so many complaints about TDS that the engine doesn't even make it onto the list.

On the other hand, you're probably right about it making a mountain of dosh, and then maybe we could get remakes of TDP and TMA. :getin:

Xander77 posted:

Oh well. Biomod or Shifter for a Deus Ex 1 playthrough?

Biomod. Shifter is mostly just balance changes, Biomod is Shifter + a whole shitload of QoL improvements like passive augs and rebindable aug keys.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh hey, Fraps gets an error message every time the game loads something (because the game restarts itself). That's great.

Welp:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, Fraps gets an error message every time the game loads something (because the game restarts itself). That's great.

Welp:

I'm assuming you're throwing it upwards? Otherwise I have no idea what's going on

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

double nine posted:

I'm assuming you're throwing it upwards? Otherwise I have no idea what's going on

Leaning against a wall like one of the cool kids, casually tossing a body. Dark and brooding, everyone will wonder who you are.

(I think I got the line wrong)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Among other things:

The small levels were occasionally nice. It made for some very annoying hub areas, granted, but going through a mission area that was literally three rooms and half a dozen enemies was fun at times. By the time we got to Antarctica, I feel like the team managed to get the most out of the engine, building levels that were reasonably large. By contrast, most levels in HR could stand to be reduced by about a third with nothing of value lost, and I think the same is probably true of the original. I dread the prospect of exploring the vast emptiness of Vanderberg, for instance.

Enemies fighting each other is always fun, and the fairly generous number of times a level spawned two (or three) different factions (and the fact that unlike HR the AI wasn't doing an invisible wall mime act) for you to lead to each other was appreciated.

Reliable meelee that wasn't takedown based - loved it. Batoning someone right in the face was always fun, and I certainly don't look forward to trying to hit the sweet spot at the base of someone's neck / tailbone.

Didn't see any fire greasels in this playthrough. Maybe my spiderbots dealt with them, maybe I didn't explore the base (the one place they appear?) thoroughly enough. I did keep getting alarm barks from one guy even though I thought I checked every room, so perhaps he was keeping that greasel as a pet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I was thinking about this a while ago but:

Thief 3 was pretty cool relatively speaking. The engine was terrible and the missions were inferior to the ones in 2 (except shalebridge) but at least the story and setting were good, so a remake sans the loading screens and context-sensitive horseshit would be great.

IW on the other hand was just a boring piece of poo poo. Can anyone remember anything beyond vague outlines from that game? You had the Bland JC Denton faction, the token bad guy anti-tech guys and then some more generic cyborg groups. I remember that it had a corrupt hologram of a dancer or something and at some point you went to Cairo. In the first game you uncovered plot twists and you had a great sense of intrigue which was completely missing from that game, it was just a series of idiotic !MORAL CHOICES! in a universe that didn't make me care.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Omar's were pretty cool. You could help this coffee shop or the other coffee shop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I liked their weird-rear end scuba suits, and killing all the faction leaders was kind of fun.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ah, the only sin related to the large levels in Deus Ex is the fact that you could lock yourself out of the speed enhancement aug.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Shibawanko posted:

Can anyone remember anything beyond vague outlines from that game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTDZxwEipQ&t=383s

Also finding JC again frozen in his fortress of solitude base in Antarctica and talking a bunch of philosophy with him, then going through his memories or something and getting the Dragon's Tooth from a facsimile of Maggie Chow's apartment? That game was loving weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

The Omar's were pretty cool. You could help this coffee shop or the other coffee shop.

But they were both the same coffee shop all along!

Agreed on the Omar.

It's kind of sad, really. The ultracapitalist Russian Borg are the least hateful faction in pretty much every way.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

But they were both the same coffee shop all along!

Agreed on the Omar.

It's kind of sad, really. The ultracapitalist Russian Borg are the least hateful faction in pretty much every way.

You know you did a poo poo writing job when the faceless gasmask cyborg men with Russian accents that only exist to sell you items are a more compelling faction to work with than the "real" factions that you work with for 98% of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

You know you did a poo poo writing job when the faceless gasmask cyborg men with Russian accents that only exist to sell you items are a more compelling faction to work with than the "real" factions that you work with for 98% of the game.
I only figured out they were supposed to be Russian when I read some files - the second time I played through the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I seriously can't tell if the New Vision mod is working or if I failed to install it somehow:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

It's mostly environment textures that are upgraded in New Vision, there is a mod for character models but I think it was abandoned with only a few finished. I remember Gunther got an overhaul but not much else.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Xander77 posted:

I seriously can't tell if the New Vision mod is working or if I failed to install it somehow:

It seems broken:

I never got the NV installer properly working so I did it manually by extracting all the files to folder and using the Deus exe configurator: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/#deusexe

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rosoboronexport posted:

I never got the NV installer properly working so I did it manually by extracting all the files to folder and using the Deus exe configurator: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/#deusexe

How do I extract anything? All I can find is the installer itself.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
drat, no more manual installing. It should work if you install it with installer and then use Deus exe and make sure new vision foldrers are ticked in the data directories.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Done. Is that how things are supposed to look:

?

I have no idea how to bind augmentations to keys - it doesn't seem to be in the standard rebind menu. F12 for Light is annoying as hell on steam.

Still not sure how to knock people out with meelee - once or twice I managed to two-shot guys with baton swings, but the rest of the time they just turn around and start shooting.

Edit - Oh yeah, and everything on my computer minimizes itself to the size of that screenshot when I go into Deus Ex. Quite annoying - how do I fix that?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 26, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's how mine looks:

One thing to note is I have HDTP installed as well, and I use HDTP.exe to start my game. I wish I could give you more details but I created this installation back when they first released New Vision. It also appears you have 16 bit colors.

I did use this wonderful guide to get me up and running though. Using that launcher should allow you to max out your graphics.

Xander77 posted:

Still not sure how to knock people out with meelee - once or twice I managed to two-shot guys with baton swings, but the rest of the time they just turn around and start shooting.

How to use the baton:

Strike from behind. There are two spots that will result in an instant drop. The first is right at the base of the skull, where the neck meets the skull. The other is around where the spine meets the rear end, about the spot you would place a tramp stamp if you were, indeed, a tramp.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 26, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How to use the baton:

Strike from behind. There are two spots that will result in an instant drop. The first is right at the base of the skull, where the neck meets the skull. The other is around where the spine meets the rear end, about the spot you would place a tramp stamp if you were, indeed, a tramp.

On almost all enemy models its right where the belt is for a quick baton takedown, yeah. Don't try that on commandos or MIB/WIB though, the suits explode and the commandos can't be brought down that way from what I recall.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Men in Black can be tranquilized with some effort and repetition. They won't explode and you can loot them for quite a lot of gear/credits/etc they carry around.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pretty sure I've knocked out commandos with the stun prod. And MIBs don't explode if you do a nonlethal takedown.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yes, the stun prod. Sometimes you've got to make a non-lethal takedown.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea how to bind augmentations to keys - it doesn't seem to be in the standard rebind menu. F12 for Light is annoying as hell on steam.

Go to options ->keyboard/mouse. Scroll all the way to the bottom of keybinds, there you can "rebind" the aug slot key.

quote:

Edit - Oh yeah, and everything on my computer minimizes itself to the size of that screenshot when I go into Deus Ex. Quite annoying - how do I fix that?

Which renderer are you using and are you running windowed or fullscreen?

edit: For WinXP use the latest OpenGL renderer, Vista/Newer Windows use the DX10 renderer.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 26, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tarezax posted:

Pretty sure I've knocked out commandos with the stun prod. And MIBs don't explode if you do a nonlethal takedown.

Use prods for everything. Buy as many prod charges as possible.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

On almost all enemy models its right where the belt is for a quick baton takedown, yeah. Don't try that on commandos or MIB/WIB though, the suits explode and the commandos can't be brought down that way from what I recall.

The baton doesn't work on the Commandos' belt, but the prod does. The prod owns.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can also baton MJ12 commandos but you need some low tech upgrades. You hit them in the small of their back.

I personally always baton or prod MIBs since some of them carry keys to bonus safes and stuff like that. I then pile them up in the toilet, which is what this game is really about.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rosoboronexport posted:

Go to options ->keyboard/mouse. Scroll all the way to the bottom of keybinds, there you can "rebind" the aug slot key.
Err:

Edit - Wait, you mean F3 F4 etc each corresponds to an augmentation? Welp.

quote:

Which renderer are you using and are you running windowed or fullscreen?

edit: For WinXP use the latest OpenGL renderer, Vista/Newer Windows use the DX10 renderer.
Direct3D 10 Support (it came with DSFIX, I think), Full screen.

In other news, any ideas about the New Vision install? At least, what should I post to make sure it does / doesn't work?

(I thought I posted this before, but the post went off into the aether)

Edit x 2 - Oh, blowing up the NSF warehouse fails the non-lethal challenge unless I knock everyone out and move them out of the way? That's just super.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 27, 2013

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Wait, you mean F3 F4 etc each corresponds to an augmentation? Welp.

You should only need to bind F7 (leg aug) and F12(light) to some other keys as at least in my playthroughs with biomod most of the augs are passive, you can leave 'em on.

quote:

Direct3D 10 Support (it came with DSFIX, I think), Full screen.
No idea then, I run the game on same resolution as the desktop and it just works.

quote:

In other news, any ideas about the New Vision install? At least, what should I post to make sure it does / doesn't work?

If you are using Deus Exe, untick the new vision folders and run the game. If the textures look the same then I have no idea. 32-bit + detail textures must be enabled also I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rosoboronexport posted:

If you are using Deus Exe, untick the new vision folders and run the game. If the textures look the same then I have no idea. 32-bit + detail textures must be enabled also I guess.
You can't reload a saved game that started with different textures (so I guess it's being tracked at least) and I can't quite tell the difference as the game starts.

One thing that I suppose was changed with the texture pack - the waterways in Hong Kong are now so dark that I can't find stuff in the collapsed tunnel even with light on - it's all pitch black at the edges.