Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So I ended up watching The Details starring Toby McGuire. It features the most amazing and hilarious deconstruction of the magical negro character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Chichevache posted:

I'm looking for a good comedy right now. I like the Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, and Ben Stiller stuff, but I've seen Zac and Miri and Zoolander. What are some good options?

The Catechism Cataclysm, Barry Munday,

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you haven't already seen Always Sunny In Philadelphia I can't think of a show that has made me laugh so much and so consistently despite running for nearly a decade.

Also Hot Rod, since I am that movie's cheerleader and if its dumb sense of humor clicks with you then you will get endless re-watches out of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For some reason I decided to stay up till 3:00 mainlining Top of the Lake in a single day. Very hypnotic with all the wide shots of nature set to dreamy music. It was extremely good, but man, every character has issues and half of them are flat-out horrible human beings. It, uh, doesn't exactly put you in the holiday spirit... The ending might have had a twist too many, and I was kind of disappointed that the main character didn't figure it out earlier. Other than that - holy poo poo TV is good nowadays.

I have to agree 100% with the poster earlier who was complaining about comparisons to Twin Peaks. This show might have a couple of broad plot points in common, but I wonder if anybody who immediately compares it to Twin Peaks has seen it in the last decade (or ever).

I was going to ask if that old greasy bastard Matt's accent was common in NZ since it sounded more like Scottish to me, but then I looked it up and the actor's Scottish :cheeky: Faramir and some of the others could have mumbled a bit less; I probably missed 10% of the dialog due to that.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Ramsay shows are exactly what I'm looking for, although I'm disappointed that there aren't more of them on there. A long Ramsay series like Masterchef, which I think has something absurd like 80 episodes for their ridiculously popular Australian seasons, would have been great. Alas. I'll also look into some of the procedural sci-fi/comedy suggestions.

Cast No Engine posted:

If you don't want to watch the TV why don't you just listen to a podcast/audiobook/music?

I usually go for music when working but for more monotonous work I like having another form of external visual stimulation I can look at every now and then so I don't errantly click on a website to "take a break" that ends up lasting for a half hour. Works for me, I guess.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What're good animal documentaries to be found on netflix. Or nature stuff in general. I devour that stuff. I've seen all of the David Attenborough "Life of..." and his other specials.

Any recommendations?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Blackfish is about animals, among other things.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Walking with Dinosaurs.

Alien Planet.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Tromeo and Juliet: more boobs than your average Shakespeare adaptation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Monkeyseesaw posted:

To be fair, Shakespeare needed more penis monsters, lesbian sex and mutant cow transformations.

drat I love Tromeo and Juliet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Aw yeah, this is up on Netflix? Hell yes.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Wizardryo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Ramsay shows are exactly what I'm looking for, although I'm disappointed that there aren't more of them on there. A long Ramsay series like Masterchef, which I think has something absurd like 80 episodes for their ridiculously popular Australian seasons, would have been great. Alas. I'll also look into some of the procedural sci-fi/comedy suggestions.

Weird, I thought the UK version had like 5 seasons on there. I love Ramsey and Masterchef would be awesome to add, although they probably don't because the winner would be known by the time it got on Netflix.

For comedies you could always burn through The Office or Family Guy or something, or Top Gear would be great even if you're not a car person.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

To be fair, Shakespeare needed more penis monsters, lesbian sex and mutant cow transformations.

drat I love Tromeo and Juliet.

I'm not complaining.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I was going to post about this in the animation thread but it seems like that'd Disney chat.

People should check out this animated French film:

Unique animation and a satisfying setup. It drags a little towards the end but it's very much worth a watch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Chichevache posted:

I'm looking for a good comedy right now. I like the Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, and Ben Stiller stuff, but I've seen Zac and Miri and Zoolander. What are some good options?

Mystery Men. Ignore the Smash Mouth, but Mystery Men.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Seconding this. Pretty much every character in this film was fantastic. And that includes the hero with the fart power played by Paul Rubens, which is like #1 on the list of 'Characters Which Will Likely Be Terrible' (it helps that he only uses his power only twice in the film, and only once in actual combat).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Chichevache posted:

Freaks and Geeks. Now.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Bung Harmer posted:

Freaks and Geeks. Now.

And then Undeclared.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I thought Burke and Hare with Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis was funny :shobon:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Holy Motors is where it's at tonight fellas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bung Harmer posted:

Freaks and Geeks. Now.

Saw it already. Mystery Men looks good though. Thanks.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Only God Forgives was not what I expected at all :stare:. Trailer made it look like a slightly weirder, Thai, Drive but nope!

Going to have to watch it again with a different frame of mind, because I did like the symbolism, but I was definitely going into it expecting a more simplistic actiony movie. Reminded me a lot of There Will Be Blood in terms of cinematography and use of silence, and I love that movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Holy Motors is where it's at tonight fellas.

Great great film, one of the best I saw in 2012.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thirding this. It has some flaws, mainly with pacing, but it's still such a fun and ridiculous movie. The cast is great, and it's full of cameos. I even thought the Smash Mouth montage was fun (since I grew up in the 90's, it was a kick in the nostalgia).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Famethrowa posted:

Only God Forgives was not what I expected at all :stare:. Trailer made it look like a slightly weirder, Thai, Drive but nope!

Going to have to watch it again with a different frame of mind, because I did like the symbolism, but I was definitely going into it expecting a more simplistic actiony movie. Reminded me a lot of There Will Be Blood in terms of cinematography and use of silence, and I love that movie.

I love how much space is used in most of the film's shots, and how that matches how much space there is in between the plot points. The film has a lot of breathing room, and yet never feels dull or overstays its welcome. Plus, it's gorgeous.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What're good animal documentaries to be found on netflix. Or nature stuff in general. I devour that stuff. I've seen all of the David Attenborough "Life of..." and his other specials.

Any recommendations?

"TO CUTE!"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the only bad thing about Too Cute! is that there's only 8 episodes up at the moment.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I love how much space is used in most of the film's shots, and how that matches how much space there is in between the plot points. The film has a lot of breathing room, and yet never feels dull or overstays its welcome. Plus, it's gorgeous.

Only complaint I had was that the Oedipedal symbolism was a bit too obvious and heavy handedsometimes, but otherwise yeah, everything fit together wonderfully.

That and I think they could have developed characters more without losing their symbolic power. Everyone was very one dimensional.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was gonna watch The Cove but I had a stroke or something by the time I searched for it on Nflix and ended up watching The Bay instead.

Meh. 1.5/5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My girlfriend wanted to watch the original stop-motion Rudolph because it's Christmas Eve, and I was dismayed to find neither Netflix nor Amazon Instant had it available. Lo and behold, the entire thing shows up as the first result on the PS3 youtube app :shepface:

How is no one getting sued for this? Or is it one of those 'old enough to escape copyright' situations?

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

MariusLecter posted:

Was gonna watch The Cove but I had a stroke or something by the time I searched for it on Nflix and ended up watching The Bay instead.

Meh. 1.5/5

I love that they feel the need to point out that one of the main character is a young successful dentist. I have a feeling the writer was a dentist.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

My girlfriend wanted to watch the original stop-motion Rudolph because it's Christmas Eve, and I was dismayed to find neither Netflix nor Amazon Instant had it available. Lo and behold, the entire thing shows up as the first result on the PS3 youtube app :shepface:

How is no one getting sued for this? Or is it one of those 'old enough to escape copyright' situations?

There's a bunch of movies on YouTube. And I guess they just go way under the radar or something.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I like detective dramas like The Fall and Top of the Lake. Evidently Netflix has two versions of "Wallander" up, which I'm made to understand is a similar show that's very good, an original Swedish version and a BBC remake starring Kenneth Branagh. Which one is the preferred version? Is there any consensus?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wolfsheim posted:

Is that the one where the mountain man and the elf dentist jump the abominable snowman and plunge into a one way ticket to hell?

In order to save Rudolph? :black101:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

prussian advisor posted:

So I like detective dramas like The Fall and Top of the Lake. Evidently Netflix has two versions of "Wallander" up, which I'm made to understand is a similar show that's very good, an original Swedish version and a BBC remake starring Kenneth Branagh. Which one is the preferred version? Is there any consensus?

They're different stories, so you can watch both! There were two Swedish series, the Branagh one on Netflix is a remake of the first and the Swedish one is the second. I'm pretty sure there's no overlap though I haven't looked through them all lately. I personally prefer the Swedish one but Branagh's very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched Branded yesterday because somebody recommended it in this thread some time ago.

gently caress you guy that said that, it was seriously among the worst films I've ever seen.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Unkempt posted:

They're different stories, so you can watch both! There were two Swedish series, the Branagh one on Netflix is a remake of the first and the Swedish one is the second. I'm pretty sure there's no overlap though I haven't looked through them all lately. I personally prefer the Swedish one but Branagh's very good.

Added bonus to the Branagh one is that it has a nigh unrecognizable Tom Hiddleston in it. I kept staring at him trying to figure out why he looked so drat familiar and then bam, realized it's Loki.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yaws posted:

I was going to post about this in the animation thread but it seems like that'd Disney chat.

People should check out this animated French film:

Unique animation and a satisfying setup. It drags a little towards the end but it's very much worth a watch.

This has been sitting in my queue based solely on the "box" art and the couple of preview screenshots they cycle through on the PS3 Netflix. Does it benefit from being watched on the biggest screen possible?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rhyno posted:

I watched Branded yesterday because somebody recommended it in this thread some time ago.

gently caress you guy that said that, it was seriously among the worst films I've ever seen.

Pretty sure they recommended it just for posts like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Chances are it will be taken down, eventually. Youtube doesn't really actively seek out infringements so it's all about when the copyright owner becomes aware of it.

Now, of course, they have the automatching software for music and you'd figure it'd work for movies at least based on the sound, but maybe not.

• Locked thread