Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Squalid posted:

Ah come on, now you're just taking the piss. No way that's a word :colbert:

Taking the piss? No way are you American :c00lbert:

It's short for an Afrikaans phrase, the full translation is "The jackal marries the wolf's wife." See, because it's both a happy and a sad occasion: one couple is getting married while another is breaking up! :sun::cry:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vij-P0103L4
If you don't mind country music. The words are Afrikaans but the video is cute and bittersweet and you don't need to understand the words to get the story.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xandu posted:

What's the country above Venezuela?

I don't know their names but I will bet you a large sum of money that they are legally a part of France and thus have a hijab ban in place in places of education.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Boiled Water posted:

I don't know their names but I will bet you a large sum of money that they are legally a part of France and thus have a hijab ban in place in places of education.

I'd take you up on that bet. There's already a red marker on France, if that place was part of France it wouldn't need a seperate marker of its own, would it?

After all, there's no marker on French Guiana.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It would seem they are just islands with peculiar laws.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm a Bay Area native, so the first two make sense, but what's with Albuquerque? No one in my family's from New Mexico. Maybe it's because one of my grandmothers was a Latina who grew up in Texas, or because two others were German immigrants?

It's more likely Californians having left for other states. There are a bunch in Albuquerque.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

edit: also the test is missing one on the "raining with the sun shining" question. My family doesn't have a specific term for it, we just say "it's going to rain on the same time tomorrow"

This is the devil beating his wife, right? I only know because I heard it in a song and was totally confused for a while.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Boiled Water posted:

It would seem they are just islands with peculiar laws.

Lots of countries in that picture though. Looked it up, sources are very scarce, but I found one or two places mentioning that Hijabs are banned in schools in Trinidad and Tobago, so that's probably the one.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Those language maps are really interesting. I'm late to the party but here is mine:

I grew up in Southern California but I guess I speak like I'm from Fresno.

This question thoroughly surprised me:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tzen posted:

I grew up in Southern California but I guess I speak like I'm from Fresno.

You should sue them for defamation.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tzen posted:

This question thoroughly surprised me:

I grew up in Sacramento (the map was spot-on) and briefly lived in south Louisiana, which was coincidentally the least similar dialect area. The drive-through daiquiri stands blew my mind.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It's short for an Afrikaans phrase, the full translation is "The jackal marries the wolf's wife." See, because it's both a happy and a sad occasion: one couple is getting married while another is breaking up! :sun::cry:

Edit:
If you don't mind country music. The words are Afrikaans but the video is cute and bittersweet and you don't need to understand the words to get the story.

:wink:
:wmwink:

Hey map thread, here's a map that hasn't been posted before. Precolonial state boundaries north of Lake Victoria

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Hahaha. I'm Vietnamese American, and pretty much all three of the identified cities are located in/near counties with tons of Vietnamese people. That's fantastic. Well, I dunno about Fremont, but San Jose and Corona definitely.

I know there're quite a few hella Asians in Fremont, no idea how many are Vietnamese specifically though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This one's politically-loaded because it makes me go on a rant about how Twin Peaks was too good for America.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This one's politically-loaded because it makes me go on a rant about how Twin Peaks was too good for America.

I would love to visit the intersection of Big Love, South Park, Breaking Bad, and Medium. Maybe also The Office and The Wire.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Without knowing anything about The Virginian, I find it funny that it is in Wyoming.

I can't imagine what would beat The Wire in this state. :colbert:

It looks like DC isn't displayed. I vote Smart Guy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenCard78 posted:

if Fringe had been set in Maryland I can guarantee it would be there instead of The Wire.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Civilized Fishbot posted:

A map of America at the time of Northwestern's founding in 1851:

Northwestern was named after (and created to serve) the states of the former Northwest territory, which stopped existing in 1803.

Northwestern's history is really cool and I would do an effortpost on it if it was interesting to people other than me.

I made this map. :shobon:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

A relic "west" can also be found in Case Western University, shown below in this map of the top-ranked schools in the midwest.

You've got the name slightly wrong. It's Case Western Reserve University. Back before the Revolution, most of the thirteen colonies had "sea-to-sea grants", basically meaning they claimed everything to the west until you hit seawater. Almost all of the colonies surrendered these grants to the federal government upon entering the union, in exchange for the federal government taking on their war debt, and were left generally with their current forms. The only ones who didn't were Georgia (its grant was truncated later), Virginia (which was far larger than it is now, but still surrendered Northwest Territory, which was part of its sea-to-sea grant [and overlapped with several other colonies' sea-to-sea greants]), and Connecticut.

Connecticut's was interesting. They couldn't have a straight line, of course: Pennsylvania was in the way. This didn't stop them from continuing on the west side of Pennsylvania where they left off. And when they surrendered their grant to the federal government, they maintained one portion, which they called their "Western Reserve."

This is now the northeast sixth or so of Ohio.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As if anything had a chance at beating Frasier.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
loving Army Wives jesus christ South Carolina is the rear end-end of everything.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Golbez posted:

You've got the name slightly wrong. It's Case Western Reserve University. Back before the Revolution, most of the thirteen colonies had "sea-to-sea grants", basically meaning they claimed everything to the west until you hit seawater. Almost all of the colonies surrendered these grants to the federal government upon entering the union, in exchange for the federal government taking on their war debt, and were left generally with their current forms. The only ones who didn't were Georgia (its grant was truncated later), Virginia (which was far larger than it is now, but still surrendered Northwest Territory, which was part of its sea-to-sea grant [and overlapped with several other colonies' sea-to-sea greants]), and Connecticut.

Connecticut's was interesting. They couldn't have a straight line, of course: Pennsylvania was in the way. This didn't stop them from continuing on the west side of Pennsylvania where they left off. And when they surrendered their grant to the federal government, they maintained one portion, which they called their "Western Reserve."

This is now the northeast sixth or so of Ohio.

Wikipedia told me that my usage was an acceptable shortening :( But this is history is really cool, thanks.

Golbez posted:

I made this map. :shobon:

That's awesome! Thank you! I can see you've made a lot of maps - do you work in history/cartography or do you just enjoy being incredibly useful?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Gentlemen, welcome to California. :smug: :ca:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I get results putting me in both California and the northeast, which makes sense. My father's from Connecticut and my mother's from Oakland, they both lived in the east for many years before moving to the East Bay where I grew up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GreenCard78 posted:

Maybe Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Edit:

withak posted:

This is the devil beating his wife, right? I only know because I heard it in a song and was totally confused for a while.

Interesting. Here in Holland I heard the phrase 'kermis in de hel' which means 'funfair in hell' for rain while the sun shines. I wonder if that's historically related to 'the devil beating his wife', and I wonder what it is called in other countries.

Also, I speak Dutch, so I can read Afrikaans if I take my time, but I don't think I ever heard an Afrikaans song. The text was surprisingly understandable. As I understand it, the Afrikaners took Dutch a few hundred years ago, threw out all idiotic rules that makes my language so difficult to learn, changed a bunch of other things over time, and made the new language their own. Very interesting to compare the two languages. For instance, Afrikaans has the term 'aftrekplek' for a rest stop next to a large road. In Dutch 'aftrekplek' would mean a place for male masturbation. Signs like that are often photographed by Dutch tourists.

Related:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GreenCard78 posted:

Without knowing anything about The Virginian, I find it funny that it is in Wyoming.

He's from Virginia originally, so everyone calls him..wait for it...the Virginian.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Wikipedia told me that my usage was an acceptable shortening :( But this is history is really cool, thanks.
Oh, maybe it is, I didn't know. :)

quote:

That's awesome! Thank you! I can see you've made a lot of maps - do you work in history/cartography or do you just enjoy being incredibly useful?

I've always kind of been obsessed with maps and cartography, though not by profession. Just decided one day that I liked the idea of a step-by-step map of a country, and went for it. And before that, decided that every province in the world needed a basic map on Wikipedia, so I went for that.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 24, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Its funny, my first go through on that quiz gave me three Arizona cities but then western Washington appropriately looked just as red, but then a second go through without changing any of the questions I got again gave me Tacoma, Spokane and Salt Lake City.

I actually do have family in Arizona but they moved THERE from here.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What the heck is "The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire"? Nobody likes setting their shows in New Hampshire, I guess.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I assume West Wing would be the most popular show set in DC?

Also, this thread and many, many others have thought me that Americans are obsessed with their accents. Especially in regards to soft drinks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

It was rotaries that revealed my true colors here.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I assume West Wing would be the most popular show set in DC?

X-Files maybe, if it counts. They went all over the place but Mulder and Scully were based in DC.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Interesting how this also seems to track family history. From Houston, but mother's side of the family is from Louisiana (mostly Baton Rouge and New Orleans) and father's side is from southern Arkansas. I've never lived in Louisiana, only Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

a bad enough dude fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 24, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Rincewind posted:

What's up same results buddy (grew up halfway between Boston and Worcester, lived in Providence for a while later on).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

a bad enough dude posted:

Interesting how this also seems to track family history. From Houston, but mother's side of the family is from Louisiana (mostly Baton Rouge and New Orleans) and father's side is from southern Arkansas. I've never lived in Louisiana, only Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

Rincewind posted:

According to these maps, you two are enemies! :ohdear:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

What if you redrew the United States so state borders actually represented their constituents? You get something like this:

Also cutting down to thirty-eight states means you can annex Canada and still get the even fifty (assuming you strip out PEI or one of the territories most likely).

made of bees
May 21, 2013
A lot of these could probably use existing names, but renaming Hawaii without any change of territory stands out as especially pointless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The divisions obviously aren't based on population since Texas is still mostly intact, and they obviously aren't based on culture either since the Valley is still part of Texas. It just seems like a bad map overall.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What's the point of Seward? A state with oil, polar bears, and 5 people doesn't really seem like a viable unit at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
Apparently the map is from 1975 and was created by a CSULA professor whose primary criteria seems to have been trying not to cut up urban areas. I don't think it works that well, especially since it looks like my hometown's commuter area got sliced in two.