Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

Good Riddance, TD has gone to absolute garbage in the past twelve years.

Curious - why do you say that?

As far as I can tell, the big 5 are indistinguishable by anything other than their livery colours, and have been so basically forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
TD's tellers are probably the best example of good customer service and I love their hours.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Star reports that CMHC's annual report says that 23% of condos were rented out by investors in 2012, but that's based only on MLS listings. Actual numbers could be anywhere from 20 to 30 to 50 to ???%.

quote:

“We think the number is closer to 50 per cent,” says veteran Toronto development consultant Barry Lyon. “The data they (CMHC) are using has some shortcomings. It’s only part of the story.”

Mathieu Labarge, CMHC’s deputy chief economist, acknowledged that “to complete the picture there’s a need for data,” and it simply doesn’t exist.

Nobody seems to know exactly where buyers, or their money, is coming from, why they are buying and how they intend to use the condo.

“What we have in terms of hard facts is what we released. We have round tables with the (condo development) industry on a regular basis and what we get is that investment activity remains limited.”

Nothing to see here, move along.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've had the least number of bad experiences at TD of all the big banks.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
- Multiple calls per month aggressively trying to sell me on a 3rd credit card or to raise the rates on my current card.
- Tellers act like a robot and every interaction ends with them pleading with me to fill out the telephone survey that will be coming shortly afterwards lest they be fired.
- Every time I use a teller they try and get me to switch to a different plan with higher monthly rates, or some investment scheme.

That's the poo poo which annoys me the most, but really, the service has been crap and the aggressive sales tactics have almost convinced me to switch everything except my E-series funds over to a credit union.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a reason to use a bank over a credit union? I've never had any problems with mine.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a reason to use a bank over a credit union? I've never had any problems with mine.

Integration with the investing arm is one reason.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh, things I hate about TD - tellers trying to sell me poo poo I don't want. Their web site is rear end.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/why-a-housing-bubble-is-good-but-maybe-bad-for-you-1.2470614

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:stare:

That article may well be the definitive example of rose coloured glasses.

An idiot posted:

What Canada is experiencing now may or may not be a bubble. Today, I promised to be agnostic on that point. If this is not a bubble, then we are producing just the right amount of housing to supply our needs and we can keep on doing that forever. Prices in the new paradigm will stay at the current permanently high plateau.

If it is a bubble, unfortunately for those who want to buy low and sell high, we have no idea how long it might last. Remember rule No. 1. But if you do hear the pop, think of it as a champagne cork celebrating a new era of property stability.

All the best for 2014.

Of course he did express a belief that the tech stock bubble wasn't, in fact a bubble, so maybe he isn't the guy to take financial advice from.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also the whole "stability follows a bubble" is only true if the government doesn't go hog wild pouring low-interest money and explicit risk backing into the FIRE sector. It is quite possible to end up with an echo bubble if you are stupid.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Engineering bubbles has basically become an industrial strategy for the neoliberal era in the West so if the current bubble does burst then its quite likely the government's response will be to desperately try to re-inflate it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b0ca8fd4-68b9-11e3-996a-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2oBZGpoQ3

Investors in Canada are to get the chance to bet against their own real estate market as one of the first short-focused funds is set to launch in the country, where concerns have grown that there is a housing bubble ready to burst.

The Spartan/Libertas Real Asset Opportunities Fund, set to launch in Toronto in the first quarter of next year, will allow Canadian brokers, developers or pension funds to mitigate their exposure towards a possible downturn in the real estate market, Michael Brown, manager of the fund told the Financial Times.
More

The new fund reflects broader investor interest in shorting or hedging risk to Canada after high-profile names from Steve Eisman, featured in Michael Lewis’s The Big Short, to Robert Shiller, the Nobel-prize winning economist, have raised questions over the challenges facing the Canadian real estate market.

Under the watch of Mark Carney, the former Bank of Canada governor who now holds the same job at the Bank of England, the country weathered the global financial crisis better than many industrialised peers. But low interest rates have encouraged soaring property prices and household debt levels which many economists say are unsustainable.

“The thesis behind the fund is that the Canadian housing market is one of the most overvalued in the world,” said Mr Brown. “A lot of things people observed in the US in the run-up to 2007-8 crisis are happening here.”

The OECD has ranked Canada as one of the countries most at risk of a price correction, especially if borrowing costs increase or income growth slows. Deutsche Bank recently said Canada is the most overvalued market in the world, with a 60 per cent overvaluation, above Belgium and Norway.

Canada’s average home price index has increased 20.2 per cent in the past 36 months, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association. Average existing home prices in Canada were at C$391,997 in November, 50 per cent higher than in the US, according to analysis by BMO Capital Markets.

Canada bears point to how low interest rates and the government’s backing of the mortgage market – by insuring home loans – have fuelled a real estate bubble and worse, stoked a consumer borrowing binge.
The ratio of household debt to disposable income has grown to 152 per cent in Canada, near to the US peak of 165 per cent, according to a December report from Canada’s central bank.

The level of the government’s involvement in the mortgage boom has drawn the attention of the International Monetary Fund, analysts and regulators as the portfolio of home loans insured by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has swelled to $560bn.

“When something gets that big, even governments get nervous,” Mr Eisman, founder of Emrys Partners told a conference in New York in May, attracting the attention of global investors.

But, since May, shares in mortgage company Home Capital Group – singled out by Mr Eisman – have increased more than 40 per cent and stocks of Genworth MI Canada have risen more than 30 per cent.

The new fund is being launched through Toronto-based Spartan, a multi-fund investment platform for individual hedge fund managers. Mr Brown was a managing director and partner of Enterprise Capital Management, a small, privately owned hedge fund sponsor.

While Mr Brown would not give specifics of the trades, the fund could look at strategies such as shorting equities or buying put options to bet on asset price declines, an alternative method of hedging.

It will bet on price declines across asset classes from equities, to fixed income and target sectors such as financial companies and real estate-linked companies, as well as the currency, said Mr Brown.

Goldman Sachs has recommended shorting the loonie, as the Canadian currency is known, as one of its top 2014 trades. In a separate report, Goldman also warned of the risks of overbuilding in Canada and said price declines could be “quite significant” in the event of a housing bust.

However, Canadian companies and banks are quite resolute in their rejection of the hedge fund bears and in particular, the comparisons they make with the US subprime mortgage crisis.

“[Canadian] Banks don’t lend money to people who can’t afford to buy houses and can’t afford to service the mortgages,” Gordon Nixon, chief executive of the Royal Bank of Canada told the Financial Times.

:nyd:

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 22, 2013

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Vancouver+condo+values+enjoy+robust+future+report+predicts/9301293/story.html

I can't be bothered to quote this retarded report. gently caress the vancouver sun for posting royal lepage marketing tripe ad nauseum.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was listening in to a conversation a couple people were having next to me at the mountain yesterday. The guy had bought an apartment sometime (I didn't hear when) for $315,000 and immediately put $25k into it for a new kitchen and upgrades. He and his wife had to sell it last year after buying a townhouse elsewhere in Whistler and they got $250,000 for it.

Then they started talking about how there were "even better deals" in freehold, someone they knew bought a house this year for 2.2 million that had been bought by the previous owner for over 4 million in 2005.

They were actually talking like this was the end of it and now you can get great value by spending millions of dollars on freehold property in Whistler, EVEN AFTER they'd been screwed over by the drop themselves.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Oddly, if those same people suffered a similar scale loss buying equities, one imagines they would be thoroughly sickened by the experience and probably never touch the asset class again.

Does loss aversion somehow not apply in real estate?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

^ Oddly, if those same people suffered a similar scale loss buying equities, one imagines they would be thoroughly sickened by the experience and probably never touch the asset class again.

Does loss aversion somehow not apply in real estate?

I think the problem is that consumers in the real estate market are orders of magnitude less sophisticated than those who pay attention to equities.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think the problem is that consumers in the real estate market are orders of magnitude less sophisticated than those who pay attention to equities.

True that. I've been helping my parents not get so ripped off in their RRSPs etc, and it's really driving home how unknowledgeable in finance it's possible for otherwise intelligent people to be.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
MAC marketing, the stooges that brought you this poo poo: http://whispersfromtheedgeoftherainforest.blogspot.ca/2013/02/mac-gate-what-actually-happened-here.html

...have gifted us this poo poo:

http://i.imgur.com/5E1wtAv.jpg

merry xmas rentailures

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love the giant bag of money representing $63k annual household income in 2011, a huge increase from the pitiful $50k in 2001. That's a whopping 26% increase over 10 years! That easily covers the mild increase in detached house prices from a little under $400k in 2001 to holy christ $1.2 million in 2011 goddamn.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MAC marketing, the stooges that brought you this poo poo: http://whispersfromtheedgeoftherainforest.blogspot.ca/2013/02/mac-gate-what-actually-happened-here.html

...have gifted us this poo poo:

http://i.imgur.com/5E1wtAv.jpg

merry xmas rentailures

ha ha

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wait, "tenant's maintenance" is included in the rental costs? I was not aware that tenants were in any way responsible for repairs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, that confused me as well. But hey, inflating the rental numbers to strengthen their case about why you should buy all the houses? Now it makes sense.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Anecdote time!

My wife does foundations and framing for houses and commercial buildings in Winnipeg and her boss was recently saying that the number of housing permits issues since October has plummeted to levels he and his partner haven't seen in a decade. Don't confuse this with the normal winter slowdown, it's apparently something different this time around. Fortunately my wife's job is pretty secure thanks to her being highly experienced in some specialized high end and high efficiency building methods and they should still have work. Other companies that bang out cheaper cookie cutter houses, on the other hand, are going to be really hurting for work.

In other news, for 400K you can own a 1 bedroom townhome in luxurious Winnipeg. The 2 bedroom is just over half a million! What a steal!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

wait, "tenant's maintenance" is included in the rental costs? I was not aware that tenants were in any way responsible for repairs.

Yeah one of the advantages of renting is big repairs like replacing a AC or water heater are not the tenant's responsibility.

Also other maintenance such as landscaping lawn care and building repairs are also the landlord's responsibility by law.

Also renters insurance tends to be fairly cheap by comparison to home insurance especially if the house is in the dreaded flood zone since the amount of coverage is much less since it only covers tenant's property.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Which is why we always get our security deposit back in full. I can't count the number of times I've been threatened with having to pay for one thing or another.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

You can get a 5 bedroom farmhouse on 150 acres of mixed land and forest with a river running through it about 30 minutes outside of Winnepeg for less than $200k. If you're buying a condo instead of that, you're pants on head retarded.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

my mind is splattered all over the back of the rented wall in my rented apt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

my mind is splattered all over the back of the rented wall in my rented apt.

congrats on losing your security deposit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cgeq posted:

Which is why we always get our security deposit back in full. I can't count the number of times I've been threatened with having to pay for one thing or another.

Was this with professional property management services, or with amateur landlords? The latter can be a royal pain but there is no guarantee that the former will be any good either because I've noticed a bunch of pop-up "property management" companies around here lately. It almost reminds me off all the people who rushed out to get their real estate licenses during the big bubble.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

It depends on the agreement. The Calgary Housing Company makes the tenant responsible for heater and electrical maintenance, snow shoveling and lawn care and keeping the exterior of the unit clean.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
In Ontario, you cannot use the security deposit for anything other than last month's rent. The landlord also cannot bill you for no-fault repairs - he can only apply for an above guideline rent increase.

At fault repairs are a completely unknown variable, obviously.

Arabidopsis
Apr 25, 2007
A model organism
The damage deposit is my biggest pet peeve with renting. I'm in BC.

The rule here is that the landlord can only keep a portion of the deposit if EITHER:
A) The tenant approves a deduction from the deposit IN WRITING, or
B) The landlord files a claim with the tenancy branch within 14 days of you moving out, arguing that the damage to the suite goes beyond normal "wear and tear." If the claim is filed more than 14 days after, no deal.

A guy at the tenancy board literally said even if I left the apartment a smoking crater, if I didn't consent to them keeping some of the money they would have to file a formal dispute and prove their case.

The kicker is that if the landlord doesn't pay you back IN FULL within 14 days of you moving out, then you can file a complaint against them and then the tenancy board will force them to give you double your damage deposit.

So the law is totally on the tenant's side here, as it should be, but most people aren't aware of this. I've made money every time I've moved because they've tried to charge me for "vacuuming fees" and stuff

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I moved into my new place I had to sign a normal lease, then this big list of extra things I was agreeing to. One was that we HAVE to get the blinds professionally cleaned, and they refused to say how much that was. It doesn't matter if they're dirty or not, all tenants must pay to get the lovely aluminum venetian blinds cleaned by some stupid company because just wiping them down is way too hard.

I had friends who lived in the same building years ago and apparently they just refused to do this because the blinds looked exactly the same as when they moved in. The landlord also tried to keep the damage deposit because their movers "tracked in some dirt" in the lobby and they claimed they'd need like $700 to clean the entire building's hallways and stairs.

Dude's dad was a lawyer so they ended up paying for neither.

Anyways, am I hosed since I signed about this blind cleaning? I don't really care unless it's going to be hundreds of dollars, it just seems like a weird thing to demand your tenants do.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
In BC aren't tenants responsible for like, replacing light bulbs? I guess that could count as "tenant's maintenance"? Maybe? That whole renting expense thing is hilarious since all those costs (insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc.) will be demonstrably higher with ownership. Sometimes by a couple orders of magnitude.

It's truly amazing that they can show a graph showing some of the highest house prices since 1977 and state that it's a "favourable year to enter the Metro Vancouver housing market". That is some :psyduck: right there. And people believe it! Amazing how many people still think "buy high sell low" is a good investment philosophy.

Baronjutter if you signed the contract, you might be SoL although I really have no idea. I would be very hesitant to sign bullshit "riders" on leases and I've at least heard anecdotes that landlords/property managers will withdraw them if you pushback a little. I think renters underestimate how much clout they have in general, especially if they have a steady income and halfways decent references.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

When I moved into my new place I had to sign a normal lease, then this big list of extra things I was agreeing to. One was that we HAVE to get the blinds professionally cleaned, and they refused to say how much that was. It doesn't matter if they're dirty or not, all tenants must pay to get the lovely aluminum venetian blinds cleaned by some stupid company because just wiping them down is way too hard.

I had friends who lived in the same building years ago and apparently they just refused to do this because the blinds looked exactly the same as when they moved in. The landlord also tried to keep the damage deposit because their movers "tracked in some dirt" in the lobby and they claimed they'd need like $700 to clean the entire building's hallways and stairs.

Dude's dad was a lawyer so they ended up paying for neither.

Anyways, am I hosed since I signed about this blind cleaning? I don't really care unless it's going to be hundreds of dollars, it just seems like a weird thing to demand your tenants do.

Why'd you sign the lease on such a bourgeois shithole without reading it first? I would have put a big rear end X through that section, initialed it and say that either they can do the same or find another tennant.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Have you ever hand wiped blinds? It blows. It is still something that should be on the landlord but I too have in the past signed a lease saying it would be done. I just used a bathtub full of cleaning solution to clean them instead. My feeling is that if the contract says "professionally cleaned" any level of paid cleaning meets that requirement,but when I priced it blind cleaning is like $10 per window for the fancy ultrasonic version unless you have silly large windows.

Way too many tenants think the security deposit is by default forfeit and way too many landlords treat it like a make-ready account for the next tenant. I swear this is especially common among the people who landlord on the side who are loathe to spend a dime of their own money and have no clue what a reasonable lifetime for certain things in a rental is. No you cannot charge full price (or any price) for the replacement of 14 year old carpet.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arabidopsis posted:

The damage deposit is my biggest pet peeve with renting. I'm in BC.

The rule here is that the landlord can only keep a portion of the deposit if EITHER:
A) The tenant approves a deduction from the deposit IN WRITING, or
B) The landlord files a claim with the tenancy branch within 14 days of you moving out, arguing that the damage to the suite goes beyond normal "wear and tear." If the claim is filed more than 14 days after, no deal.

A guy at the tenancy board literally said even if I left the apartment a smoking crater, if I didn't consent to them keeping some of the money they would have to file a formal dispute and prove their case.

The kicker is that if the landlord doesn't pay you back IN FULL within 14 days of you moving out, then you can file a complaint against them and then the tenancy board will force them to give you double your damage deposit.

So the law is totally on the tenant's side here, as it should be, but most people aren't aware of this. I've made money every time I've moved because they've tried to charge me for "vacuuming fees" and stuff

You ... don't sound particularly peeved about this. As a renter in BC, I'm certainly not.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Baronjutter if you signed the contract, you might be SoL although I really have no idea. I would be very hesitant to sign bullshit "riders" on leases and I've at least heard anecdotes that landlords/property managers will withdraw them if you pushback a little. I think renters underestimate how much clout they have in general, especially if they have a steady income and halfways decent references.

Not really -- the contract comes up for renegotiation at its end (usually one year, but it depends what he signed). At that point, he can do the "strike this conditions or I walk" thing, if he's feeling ballsy enough. It's a risk, though, both in terms of references and not having the hassle of finding and moving into another place.

Anyway, cleaning almost certainly won't run more than a hundred bucks or so, so it probably isn't worth the drama.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Contracts you sign don't overrule whatever is outlined in legislation. A lease agreement that stipulates something that isn't in some way backed up by the RTA is unenforceable. I'm not sure if agreeing to extra cleaning is outlined somewhere because its been a while since I read through it, but if there isn't a specific RTA clause about that then its meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Why'd you sign the lease on such a bourgeois shithole without reading it first? I would have put a big rear end X through that section, initialed it and say that either they can do the same or find another tennant.

People still use 'bourgeois'?

:confused: