Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bioman is the most unique Sentai, I think I can safely say. I really love the fact that they only have five human sized monsters, a long with the three generals, and all of the MOTW are giant robot monsters that don't need to grow.

It really does give more importance to the giant robot side of things. I hope one day another Sentai tries to take on a similar style.

Also the fact that it has a complete dub just baffles me. Why is this the only Sentai with a full English dub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Dekaranger had a similar 'all giants are robots piloted by human-sized monsters' thing whilst keeping the MOTW format.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but the thing I liked about keeping the human sized monsters part of set is that it gives them more importance and, in a show that wasn't made in the 80s, more character. Even Bioman kind of surprised me with it's character depth, actually, in one regard. So one of the generals, General Monster, and one of the robots, Juuo, are pretty much thick as thieves and do everything together. They have the whole duo thing down path. One episode General Monster was sent to do something, but wasn't paired up with Juuo, who didn't even show up. He got paired up with one of the other five.

I was a bit disappointment watching because they don't even address how odd this is, until near the end when General Monster is cornered by the Biomen...and Juuo bursts out of NOWHERE to save his life, crying about how much he missed him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Tokyuuger's premiere date is apparently February 16th, which means that Kyoryuger will end with 49 episodes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Burkion posted:

Bioman is the most unique Sentai, I think I can safely say. I really love the fact that they only have five human sized monsters, a long with the three generals, and all of the MOTW are giant robot monsters that don't need to grow.

It really does give more importance to the giant robot side of things. I hope one day another Sentai tries to take on a similar style.

Go-Busters. They had the human-sized monsters of the week, then a Megazord would teleport in for the heroes to fight, quite often before the human-sized monster was defeated. It led to several cases of the team having to split up, half of them taking on the smaller foe while the rest handled the Megazord.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One time, the monster wasn't even human sized! It was an eraser!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Waffleman_ posted:

One time, the monster wasn't even human sized! It was an eraser!

What was that guy when they recycled the costume/cgi?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

Go-Busters. They had the human-sized monsters of the week, then a Megazord would teleport in for the heroes to fight, quite often before the human-sized monster was defeated. It led to several cases of the team having to split up, half of them taking on the smaller foe while the rest handled the Megazord.

I already addressed this, actually. What made Bioman unique was that it didn't HAVE human sized MOTW. It had human sized monsters, but they were there from day one and always doing something, becoming full fledged characters in a sense. I'd love to see a more modern series do that idea justice.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

I already addressed this, actually. What made Bioman unique was that it didn't HAVE human sized MOTW. It had human sized monsters, but they were there from day one and always doing something, becoming full fledged characters in a sense. I'd love to see a more modern series do that idea justice.

Ah, I gotcha. I think I misread your post.

I was referring more to the giant robot side of things. Go-Busters put a huge emphasis on their robot stuff, and as much as I love Kyoryuger it's reeeally disappointing that their robot stuff is so bland in comparison.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

What was that guy when they recycled the costume/cgi?

I think he was an eraser again, but they figured it out pretty quick and it was funny cause he also went all Messiah on them too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He was tofu, wasn't he?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cliff Racer posted:

He was tofu, wasn't he?

You might be right actually. It's been a while. :v:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

You might be right actually. It's been a while. :v:

I checked real quick, since it was one of the last few episodes (45). It was mochi.

Edit: No, it looks like he used a gun mounted on his left hand to shoot mochi.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 23, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah of course, and didn't he have a brand stick weapon too or something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dante Logos posted:

I checked real quick, since it was one of the last few episodes (45). It was mochi.

Edit: No, it looks like he used a gun mounted on his left hand to shoot mochi.

He was mochi themed so all of his shtick is themed about being sticky and growing when cooked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So episode 39 of W may have the funniest scene I've ever seen in toku.

MY HAND IS A COW!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Because it's seasonally appropriate, what are the best toku Christmas specials? I saw Kaku which was crazy cool

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Alpha's Magical Christmas.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Alpha's Magical Christmas.

Do not listen to this man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Roboknight Before Christmas.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Definitely I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Go-Onger and Go-Busters both have Christmas 2-parters that stand out as some of the best episodes in their run, but in the case of Go-Onger that's not saying all that much (it's still good though). I haven't seen it in years, but I remember Gaoranger's Christmas episode to be really fun (they also had an excellent New Year's episode.)

Gekiranger's Christmas episode has a scene where the White Ranger tries to cheer up a sad kid by dressing up like his dead mom, so there's that.

Edit: But yeah, you can't go wrong with I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 23, 2013

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
You know, for a Christmas episode that was a shitload of plot thrown in there too. I'm going to be pretty sad when we have to go back to small little 5-ranger roll calls. We have 7 episodes left, right? They certainly could fit in everything they've been hinting at (all the spoilered stuff above) but drat it's going to be one wild ride.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah you're not kidding. Does this show even have filler? I swear every episode has been worth it. Even Shinkenger had episodes I skipped/sped through. Plus next week is the fabled Souji focused episode!

The funny thing about Koyu and Gaim is i'll put off watching the episodes thinking they won't be about much but every time I always enjoy them so much I don't know why I waited to watch them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Darksaber posted:

You know, for a Christmas episode that was a shitload of plot thrown in there too.

Holy crap this. I wasn't expecting all of that to happen.

Daigo's dad's backstory and the return of Endorf! That all came out of nowhere!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

RBX posted:

The funny thing about Koyu and Gaim is i'll put off watching the episodes thinking they won't be about much but every time I always enjoy them so much I don't know why I waited to watch them.

Gaim has really been a revelation so far. I'm so glad they dropped the two episode arcs and 'troubled citizen of the week' format for this show. It's really been free to go wherever it likes episode-to-episode and it's more interesting to watch week-in-week-out because of it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

As much as I really thought it wouldn't, at the end of the day Gaim's suits and terrible belt do bug me enough to effect enjoyment of the show. Micchy and Kaito are pretty great, and Kouta has some great expressions/reactions to things and though I still think the first couple episodes were a little weak, overall it has a decent plot and likable characters.

Double especially I went into with reservations about the costume, (mostly the fact that two people become one rider) but Double's belt is amazing. Even though I hated for dragging myself through Kabuto, the awesome suits and belt helped.

In the end, Gaim isn't the worst Rider I've seen, but it's sure hard to get excited week to week about it.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Potsticker posted:

As much as I really thought it wouldn't, at the end of the day Gaim's suits and terrible belt do bug me enough to effect enjoyment of the show. Micchy and Kaito are pretty great, and Kouta has some great expressions/reactions to things and though I still think the first couple episodes were a little weak, overall it has a decent plot and likable characters.

Double especially I went into with reservations about the costume, (mostly the fact that two people become one rider) but Double's belt is amazing. Even though I hated for dragging myself through Kabuto, the awesome suits and belt helped.

In the end, Gaim isn't the worst Rider I've seen, but it's sure hard to get excited week to week about it.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm still catching up and I'm on episode 7. Have they revealed a main "villain" yet, or is it still stuck on the rivalries between the Beat Riders with random dudes like Bravo thrown in? I mean its obviously something with Yggdrasil but I'm just confused if the focus is going to shift to that, or stick to Pokemon Danceoffs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fooley posted:

I'm enjoying it, but I'm still catching up and I'm on episode 7. Have they revealed a main "villain" yet, or is it still stuck on the rivalries between the Beat Riders with random dudes like Bravo thrown in? I mean its obviously something with Yggdrasil but I'm just confused if the focus is going to shift to that, or stick to Pokemon Danceoffs.

There's three people working for Yggdrasil that are villains of a sort. Four people. The dancing seems like it's slowly going away, and was just an excuse to have "teams" of people to make alliances and have wars between.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While Yggdrasill and those four guys are clearly being set as the bad guys of the series, the focus is still mostly on the fights between the Riders themselves, to the point that two out of those four are Riders themselves. It's sort of like Ryuki on that, while there's an external evil force (with Riders under their command nonetheless), the focus is still set on the clashes, both physical and ideological, of the Riders themselves.

And that, I find great. Less MotW, more actual characterization is never something I can be against.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

And that, I find great. Less MotW, more actual characterization is never something I can be against.

Exactly. Though in the end I suppose I'll be expecting a clearer over-arching threat, I'm hoping to see it develop or be revealed 'naturally'. For both Fourze and Wizard, the end-boss being obvious from the start was a weak-point of both series.

Potsticker posted:

I'm not a fan of the belts (too many steps to henshin, and the movements look awkward) but the base suits of Gaim, Baron and Zangetsu have really grown on me since seeing them in action. Ryugen looked cool as hell to me right from the start. The circular motif plus the green/purple colour scheme work really well. The undersuit looks pretty good on its own too.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 24, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rated 18+

MERII KURISMASU MY GOONS

I hope you are all well and fat on tidings of yule!

My very brave~~! friends at Mecha Gorilla, Jay and Trae, are stepping up, and working in conjunction with the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in San Antonio to bring you an evening full of spark-bleeding, rider-kicking, suit-combat, very flashy HEN. SHIN. Goodness!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/texas-toku-taisen

There are so many things~ we have in store at this event! Keen eyes might spot that some of the more :10bux: packages come with a serving of S.H. Figuart, while all but the basic contribution levels come with food perks! If you are in the Central Texas area, enjoy the Drafthouse’s presentations, can debate the finer points of the individual dance styles of Carnival Red, or are just a neck enough beard to commute for the sake of Toku, you can both eat AND enjoy yourself~!

The billed films are not necessarily all Sentai or Rider shows, also on the roster are some classics!:
  • Super Hero Taisen
  • Super Hero Taisen Z
  • Space Sheriff Gavan
  • Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost
  • Hurricanger 10 Years After
  • Garo: Red Requiem
  • Zebraman
  • Hentai Kamen
  • Gunhed
  • Kamen Rider: The First
  • Kamen Rider: The Next
  • Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy
  • Godzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Mechgodzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra
  • Godzilla Final Wars
  • Gamera

Also Lil B loves us so, idk, I guess that means we're destined to take over the world or something:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Indiegogo Campaign

While I'd totally be up for this, is there any reason you guys chose to do Flexible Funding? Or Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, for that matter?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Tokkyuger Staff:

Toei Producers: Takaaki Utsunomiya (Shinken, Gokai), Akira Ishikawa (Akiba)
Director: Shoujirou Nakazawa (episode direction of one or both SHT shows going back to 2000)
Action Director: Hirofumi Fukuzawa
SFX Director: Hiroshi Butsuda (Toei regular since 1990)
Writer: Yasuko Kobayashi

Kobayashi being attached should be taken as a very, very good sign. Though between this, the GARO anime, and Stardust Crusaders, she's going to be busy in 2014.

e: Also, TQG is as all over the merch as SPD was on Deka's, so time to get ready for ToQger.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Someone posted this on imgur.

I wasn't even a huge MMPR fan, and I'm jealous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I had my doubts on Tokkyuger, the suits are bad and the trains theme felt a bit silly.

Knowing that Kobayashi's behind it has basically taken all my doubts though. Now I'm looking forward to Trainranger (while not wanting Kyoryuger to end at all).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've warmed up a lot to the suits and the megazord suit looks cook. The toys left a bad first impression.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

everythingWasBees posted:

While I'd totally be up for this, is there any reason you guys chose to do Flexible Funding? Or Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, for that matter?

I should really get Trae an account so he an answer these directly, but he's clarified for me that Indiegogo has good analytics tools for this kind of a campaign, and while he could manage his own, seems to like the site for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
My son got purple kyoruger's mech for Christmas. Maybe for his birthday, he'll get the last two mechs.

I have to say though that Plezuon kicks rear end. It's huge when it combines with Gabutyra.

• Locked thread