Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Node posted:

Project M. It was the best experiment they ever did. I think those were the Verant days, before the SOE takeover.

It was great. Of course, you also had things like: A bunch of people spawn in as Crushbone orcs and band together to camp the zone transition, brutally murdering anyone who came in. That had to be frustrating for the players. Was awesome for us, though.

Nothing makes me feel old quite like reminiscing about Everquest. The only thing worse would be if there was an AOL-era Gemstone 3 nostalgia thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
IIRC you could cast temperance on newbie mobs at one point. I never did it, but I wonder what kind of newbie death toll a fully buffed skeleton could pull off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

keyvin posted:

IIRC you could cast temperance on newbie mobs at one point. I never did it, but I wonder what kind of newbie death toll a fully buffed skeleton could pull off.

In the very beginning, on Rallos Zek, we'd charm Young Kodiaks in Nektulos forest with our high level druids, cast Skin Like Nature, SOW, see invisible, and damage shields and just laugh as they tore through the newbies.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Medullah posted:

In the very beginning, on Rallos Zek, we'd charm Young Kodiaks in Nektulos forest with our high level druids, cast Skin Like Nature, SOW, see invisible, and damage shields and just laugh as they tore through the newbies.

Casting Invisibility and Haste on the Hill giant that roamed North Karana was always hilarious.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Medullah posted:

With my shaman I used to charm and buff the crap out of Yelloweyes in Paludal and watch him eat groups.

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

I took your advice, did 80 to 85 flipping lost gnomes. I guess valdeholme or thalassius is up next.
But i wanted to ask about UF and HoT, at what levels would it be appropriate to do the group progression in these expansions?
I've had so much fun doing SoD group progression, about halfway done.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Catullus posted:

I took your advice, did 80 to 85 flipping lost gnomes. I guess valdeholme or thalassius is up next.
But i wanted to ask about UF and HoT, at what levels would it be appropriate to do the group progression in these expansions?
I've had so much fun doing SoD group progression, about halfway done.

Never go to UF.

85-90 were the progression levels for HoT, so that range or higher will be fine.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Seconding Illa, UF was terrible and overtuned when it was made for people geared for it, you'll get chewed up in there. HoT prog is still pretty fun if you want to do that, and the T4 zones are okay xp until 93ish.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Doing HoT prog from start to finish was some of the best fun I've had. The zones and atmosphere are just cool.

I think you'll need some really good gear to be able to do it at the intended lvl 85-90, though. That, or just take it very slowly. Should be a nice challenge.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

Doing HoT prog from start to finish was some of the best fun I've had. The zones and atmosphere are just cool.

I think you'll need some really good gear to be able to do it at the intended lvl 85-90, though. That, or just take it very slowly. Should be a nice challenge.

Some of the non-mission bits can be tricky, and the Fear mission is a pain. But I boxed a ton of that with a druid+sk without much stress. Tradable gear gets you as good or better stats than HoT T4 gear had.

I had a lot of fun 'speedrunning' the missions to sell TAs and get exp that was more interesting than just grinding. But of course that got nerfed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Should be able to box HoT without too much trouble starting around 85 as long as you get your J5s done. Might be a little work but the exp and loot will make up for it. Just be very careful moving around the zone. From there you can go to shards landing and pretty much ark dogs there if you feel like. Just make sure to con them first.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Any suggestions for a place to take my 4-box team for 75-80? I did Paw for 65-75, looking to mix things up. I tried out Oceangreen Hills, and JESUS stuff hits hard.

I could maybe try out some headshotting with the group, per this guide: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:headshot, for level 75, I could do Plane of Storms, The Steppes, The Barren Coast, Halls of Honor, or Plane of Valor. Any of these jump out as particularly not-annoying?

Also, does anyone have the level 80 tradeable bow that they could copy to Test and mail to my ranger Ravor? I've been checking pretty often, and haven't seen it pop up in the Bazaar.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
You're in the crummiest level range in the game, sadly. 75-85 is just sucky.

In no particular order, RSS should still be good until 80ish and the mobs have very low hp , Mech Guardian/Beza/Zeka, Loping Plains, maybe Direwind/Valdeholm?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I always suggest the elementals in Katta Castellum in that range, they're weak mobs and there's lots of them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

saintonan posted:

I always suggest the elementals in Katta Castellum in that range, they're weak mobs and there's lots of them.

Assume this was meant to be Katta Castrum - I'll give it a shot.

MrTheDevious posted:

You're in the crummiest level range in the game, sadly. 75-85 is just sucky.

In no particular order, RSS should still be good until 80ish and the mobs have very low hp , Mech Guardian/Beza/Zeka, Loping Plains, maybe Direwind/Valdeholm?

Thanks for the leads! So what is the deal with Mech Guardian / Beza / Zeka - are they normal zones that just have weird ways of entering them, or are they actual instances? Am I looking for the Solo Task version of Mech Guardian? So confused :saddowns:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Vald is still my favorite. Go there early go there often.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There's hills of shade as well. It's a hotzone too I believe

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Everyone always suggests RSS for that level range and I just have to pipe in and say that that zone gave me horrible experience, both per kill and over time. I would suggest Direwind camping the griffons near the Druid rings. (I think it's called Direwind, the zone you go through to get to ashen gate. )

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

r0rb posted:

Everyone always suggests RSS for that level range and I just have to pipe in and say that that zone gave me horrible experience, both per kill and over time. I would suggest Direwind camping the griffons near the Druid rings. (I think it's called Direwind, the zone you go through to get to ashen gate. )

My Direwind Express (tm) was netting 120+ AA per lesson per character for a boxed group of 4 + merc healer + whoever rode the choochoo, but this was on test and it was a hot zone. With HoT T1 gear things pretty much just flopped over. IIRC, my path took me from druid rings down the hill into the undead area, up the other side, over to shrooms, through that undead area, through shroom cave, then over to wolves where mobs began drying up. That was usually one lesson, then of course we had unlimited XP pots since it was on test, so rinse and repeat as necessary.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I did 75-85 in Loping Plains. It was boring, but stupidly easy. Just go to the wereorcs in the west half of the zone and murder your little heart out.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Flarestar posted:

I did 75-85 in Loping Plains. It was boring, but stupidly easy. Just go to the wereorcs in the west half of the zone and murder your little heart out.

Don't forget to get that one repeatable quest to kill them too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flarestar posted:

The gators or crocs, whatever they are are stupid easy too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is there a part of the circle around Katta Castrum that's best for the elementals? Poked around briefly, found the elementals in the outside circle, with some shissar mixed in, which had an AE attack that also drained the heck out of my mana.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Direwind was pretty silly for me. The big encampment near ashengate you can round up dozens of mobs and merc tank them(I had j5 if that makes a difference). I used rogue assassinate to kill them all but I think even if you AOE or kill them one by one it's pretty fast.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

The gently caress is up with the Universal Chat service? Seems like it's been down for two days.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

darkhand posted:

Direwind was pretty silly for me. The big encampment near ashengate you can round up dozens of mobs and merc tank them(I had j5 if that makes a difference). I used rogue assassinate to kill them all but I think even if you AOE or kill them one by one it's pretty fast.

This is the best spot in the zone for xp, but it's also the hardest if you are on the lower end of the level spectrum as it is hard to pull less than 5 mobs.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Devor posted:

Is there a part of the circle around Katta Castrum that's best for the elementals? Poked around briefly, found the elementals in the outside circle, with some shissar mixed in, which had an AE attack that also drained the heck out of my mana.

Yeah, I meant Katta Castrum, sorry. There are two useful elemental camps. The first and better of the two is north of the port-in, where Brine of Prexus spawns. There are four potential PHs around a fountain and a couple dozen mobs in a circle around the fountain, spaced perfectly for single pulls. It's a little tricky to find the first time (you actually have to go south out of the inner ring then around west then north to go back into the inner ring area), but it's easy to remember once you've found it once.

If for some reason that camp is taken, there's another set of a dozen or so elementals outside the outer ring, just south of due west from the port-in.

Neither of these camps are close to any of the snakes.

This map has the spawns listed on them. The fountain north of the center where you see the four "an essence of the deep" spawns is where Brine is.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Is selling plat frowned upon? I know some goons were doing it over in the Project 99 thread. I've been unloading it on Povar and could sell it to goons super cheap, if it's allowed/there was an interest. Nobody plays on Povar anyway, though.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Zombones posted:

Is selling plat frowned upon? I know some goons were doing it over in the Project 99 thread. I've been unloading it on Povar and could sell it to goons super cheap, if it's allowed/there was an interest. Nobody plays on Povar anyway, though.
How much plat can you scoop up in a day? I think it's down to 3 dollars for every 100K and I always wonder how its worth it for the miner.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Zombones posted:

Selling plat is probably the best thing you can do with it.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

How much plat can you scoop up in a day? I think it's down to 3 dollars for every 100K and I always wonder how its worth it for the miner.

I can do a couple hundred thousand per hour if I pay attention. I've been letting it go for $5/100K

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zombones posted:

I can do a couple hundred thousand per hour if I pay attention. I've been letting it go for $5/100K

Who pays that much for plat these days :psyduck:

Must be the same demographic that burns hundreds of dollars on freemium games, I guess. SOE is missing a cashgrab somewhere.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

From increasing Krono prices, $5/100k is about right.

I'll also do that price on Xegony.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

saintonan posted:

Yeah, I meant Katta Castrum, sorry. There are two useful elemental camps. The first and better of the two is north of the port-in, where Brine of Prexus spawns. There are four potential PHs around a fountain and a couple dozen mobs in a circle around the fountain, spaced perfectly for single pulls. It's a little tricky to find the first time (you actually have to go south out of the inner ring then around west then north to go back into the inner ring area), but it's easy to remember once you've found it once.

If for some reason that camp is taken, there's another set of a dozen or so elementals outside the outer ring, just south of due west from the port-in.

Neither of these camps are close to any of the snakes.

This map has the spawns listed on them. The fountain north of the center where you see the four "an essence of the deep" spawns is where Brine is.

I was a bit dubious that a couple dozen mobs would be enough, but this respawn is FAST. Can't get all the way around the circle before the respawn catches up. Brine spawned, and I lost track of my followers and added an extra 3 mobs to the pull and got a bit freaked out, but he's not too tough. Neat little spot.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

So HATE RISING beta is up. The entirety of the content are some new HAs, 3 more missions for each CotF zone, and 4 more raids. No new spells, AAs or zones. LAAs are finally being killed to be rolled into the ui, but that's not going live with HR.

The most disappointing expansion is followed by an even worse second release. Thanks, Obama.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

So HATE RISING beta is up. The entirety of the content are some new HAs, 3 more missions for each CotF zone, and 4 more raids. No new spells, AAs or zones. LAAs are finally being killed to be rolled into the ui, but that's not going live with HR.

The most disappointing expansion is followed by an even worse second release. Thanks, Obama.

Yeah I'm speechless. Also:

The cleric BP click reduces healing by 75% and raises their direct damage by 65%.

Again,

The cleric BP click reduces healing by 75% and raises their direct damage by 65%.

Say that out loud.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

Yeah I'm speechless. Also:

Again,

Say that out loud.

The worn effect on their BP got a lot better.

The spells that are in the spelldat file for the next release are more interesting than anything in this one so far.

Mordachi
Aug 9, 2006
Goon swarm stole my virginity
I have a 92 paladin approaching 3kAAs and the more and more I play the more I question why half the classes in EQ still exist outside of raids, it seems that shamans,druids,enchanters,clerics and somewhat rogues are just totally pointless and have no real utility. Why tank when a earth pet can do it better than a dedicated tank can for 1/4 the AAs and way more DPS, why play druids when they have no useful buffs and do worse than merc wizards, why play paladins when you can play a SK and do everything a paladin can do AND swarm, clerics/chanters/shamans are relegated to buff bots or replaced by mercs in their entirety.

Why do they continue to let so many classes flail in to uselessness and not buff them so people might actually want to play as one. As it is now I am just a weaker version of an earth pet with half the damage and I'm left with just one burning question as to WHY? I have been playing EQ on and off with a paladin as my main for fourteen loving years and paladin has never been an average class in anyone's perspective except maybe during Planes of power.

Everywhere I turn all I see is people slamming out literally a million damage with 5 spell casts and necros healing far better than I could ever dream to heal, zerkers/rangers/rogues one shotting everything in sight and stories about high level non-pet tanks getting one rounded by group bosses at level 100 and earth pets tanking poo poo like its nothing.

I am half tier 2 group Thule and half fear geared with AC/purity augs in almost every slot with raid energy sources and still find that if RNG fucks me a tired farmer with a pitch fork does half my health in one round.

This has become more of a rant than a question now but how has this game turned into such a poo poo show? Will my paladin EVER be viable or useful in any way should I just make 3/1 boxed mages/Beast Lord combo?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Oh btw, I heard that the level range spread on missions is being raised to 30 in the foreseeable future. Some guy in general chat quoted a post on the official forums.

Mordachi posted:

This has become more of a rant than a question now but how has this game turned into such a poo poo show? Will my paladin EVER be viable or useful in any way should I just make 3/1 boxed mages/Beast Lord combo?
* clears throat *

Well, first of all, part of what I love about EQ is precisely the large amount of classes, and that so little gets totally overhauled; just small changes that improve the UI or quality of life. No total class overhauls here with every expansion like in WoW. No revamping of old zones for a decade. People bond to their classes, and no game has made class bonding so tight as EQ. Most people love their main class. Homologation would kill that charm, and I don't see how it could do any good to straight up combine classes.

To comment on a few specific rants of yours; a mage pet is still not the same as a real tank, as they cannot allow any other melee in range, and are a pest to control when fighting multiple mobs. Not that I haven't also read enviously about them myself, but I have the feeling that you too have mostly read about the glory of mage pet tanking on forums, where people are quick to boast about a few select things, like "my pet can molo named X". Sure, fine, but can you do named Y, is it fun, can you handle 4 mobs at once, etc? Furthermore, does it really matter to you what happens at the maxed out end-game on raids, with regards to lvl 100 tanks vs. earth pets?

I can also assure you that a Shaman or Druid is not just a buff bot in a group. They can spew useful spells, buffs and debuffs, short-time buffs that you can't just pick up in the guild lobby, CC, and heal very well.

I'll give you one thing, and that is that Paladins are in a pinch compared to SKs, because of the superpowers of the SK. However, I can find plenty of forum posts from people saying they love their pally, I read they tank great on raids, and there are many other classes that people enjoy. If you're mostly soloing or grouping, what happens at the max raid level - or should I say, what happens in angry forum posts by disgruntled raiders? - doesn't matter to you, as you're having your fun in a different manner.

I also think it's quite bold of you to call the entire EQ a poo poo show just because your class is one of the few that is sadly in a special pinch behind its next door archetype (SK), and because mage pet tanking has its powers in certain places compared to normal tanks. I mean, I've played Monk for the past 5 years since I returned in 2009, and all I ever read on forums for 5 years are people whining about how Monks suck. "Everyone else can pull, poo poo tanks, poo poo dps, no utility". Whatever, I've levelled a Monk to 100, completed HoT, and have just rolled a fresh Monk + boxes on AB and I'm having (and have had) so much fun. I've tried most of those forum-glorified setups, and I keep returning to my favorite class anyway.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what is your situation and what is your goal? Moloing, boxing, grouping, and do you want to raid? Maybe some boxing will make things fun if you're soloing at a snail's pace. Isn't there undead slaying that Paladins sort of have as their trademark?

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Oh btw, I heard that the level range spread on missions is being raised to 30 in the foreseeable future. Some guy in general chat quoted a post on the official forums.

That would be fantastic, I'm sick of not being able to help people (or alts) get old poo poo done until they're 85.