Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I tried using the Extended Ship Mod, but it doesn't work. Anyone know why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Is the mod site not working for anyone else? I keep getting a bad gateway error from it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Revol posted:

A new gif was posted on Reddit yesterday.

Welp that's pretty god drat amazing.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

A new gif was posted on Reddit yesterday.

Oh my. That's really something.

Edit: So I'm not just repeating the well deserved oohs and aahs here, which do you think works better between these two craft? On it's own I'd definitely say I think the top one works better but I'm not sure how well it would go together with the later upgrades, where the lower one is very awkward looking but I've got a rather clear idea of where I want to go next on it (namely, more bow).

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 24, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm looking forward to obliterating entire planets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apparently if you jump, you lose momentum, but goddamn that's the only bitch I have, it's otherwise magical.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

MShadowy posted:

Edit: So I'm not just repeating the well deserved oohs and aahs here, which do you think works better between these two craft? On it's own I'd definitely say I think the top one works better but I'm not sure how well it would go together with the later upgrades, where the lower one is very awkward looking but I've got a rather clear idea of where I want to go next on it (namely, more bow).

I like top

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the bottom one, but that's because I like my ships chunky.

Also, Mantizi Race Mod. Real simple right now, just contains the race, 10 hairstyles for each gender, three sets of new clothing, a ship, and relevant codex entries. They're essentially Floran right now, though that might switch to Apex until I get most of the stuff done since I like the Apex armors the most.

Feedback is appreciated, but otherwise, here's my work on these dudes so far. Requires this mod.

Tomorrow's going to be making changes based on feedback if I get any and starting in on weapons. Might do one of the late-game armors, too.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

MShadowy posted:

So I'm not just repeating the well deserved oohs and aahs here, which do you think works better between these two craft?

Top one looks way better, IMO

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Talky posted:

I also like the top one. Looks a bit better and less of a hassle to traverse for same ship space, plus a further upgrade from that of putting another large room in that empty spot in the middle could work. Spread out, then up feels less jarring than spread up than out like the lower ship would go.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
:smuggo:

Glitches are great

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Talky posted:

I think the top one is far superior as well.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Huh, the Kluex temple guards now have a decidedly Avian looking guns now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kyrosiris posted:

:flashfap:

Now this is something that Chucklefish needs to add officially.

It will murder any server its used on.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Well, guess I'll figure out something to put in there. Maybe something... special.

Anyway, enough spriting I guess. I haven't even tried the new update yet so...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

It will murder any server its used on.

They would have to do something like change it so 4/5ths of the blocks it breaks are permanently destroyed instead of breaking and following the player. Both for performance and probably balance reasons.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

MShadowy posted:

I think the top version feels more like a natural progression of your first ship. I think it just has a better rhythm to it, especially with the underslung cockpit (and is that a little lifter bot on the scaffolding between the two large bays? Perfect. :kimchi:) Are you thinking about pulling the bow out/forward if you were to upgrade the second one? If so, maybe you could do the same for the first, but go vertical instead of horizontal. My explanation is terrible so I made a quick mockup:

(so this is the upgrade to the top version you posted, so ship #3? n+1+1)
now that I look at it again the way I cut up the bow is kind of dumb. Maybe you could expand the scaffolding into a little hallway connecting the engine bay with the bow also, but anyway a big fat bow offset by the cockpit/bridge is cool to me, and I think feels in line with the original ship, whose blunted bow makes it feel like it's leaning that way anyway.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MShadowy posted:

I like the top one better, but that's mostly just because the bottom one looks unfinished. I guess it may be intentional but it looks like the top of the ship doesn't have any hull plating and it makes it look bad.

However! I still say go with the bottom, bulkier one. It's more creative. There's tons of ships out there right now that look like the top one, let's get some variety in the ship design scene. :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is the kind of game where "progress" isn't the whole point really. If you enjoy exploring and building now, odds are you will enjoy exploring and building later. It's a make your own fun sandbox.
I have to agree. The point of the game, especially now, isn't to just get to the end and beat it. It's to enjoy the ride. The journey is more important than the destination, man.
If you're having fun playing it that's really what matters. I like taking my time on every new planet and just seeing what there is to see.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

I'm not sure exactly, but are you planning on having an even more upgraded version? Like, is this stage 3 and there will be a stage 4? If so, I'd say go with the bottom version. It's a little more unique than the standard "ship" ship that we are seeing, and it could be easily built into something cooler. Like, adding on more to the bottom to make a more defined rudder section, or elongating the top cargo bay and making it a big 'ole open hanger?

The top one is cool too, but it's just a tad... I dunno... bland. It goes from your original design and turns it into just another horizontally aligned rocket ship. However, potential next evolution could be sticking a front rudder on the long nose section?

Either way, your design is cool and I'd be very interested in seeing what happens with it.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

I'm enjoying making stuff and building huge bases for our group, though it feels kind of like sand painting with the wipes going on.

Having a space-faring backpack helps out when exploring moons and asteroids, but you know what it doesn't help with? Space. If you go up above the atmosphere on your own planet it still gets ridiculously cold! I'm assuming this is a bug?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder, did this latest update add ship upgrading yet?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

USMC_Karl posted:

I'm not sure exactly, but are you planning on having an even more upgraded version? Like, is this stage 3 and there will be a stage 4? If so, I'd say go with the bottom version. It's a little more unique than the standard "ship" ship that we are seeing, and it could be easily built into something cooler. Like, adding on more to the bottom to make a more defined rudder section, or elongating the top cargo bay and making it a big 'ole open hanger?

The top one is cool too, but it's just a tad... I dunno... bland. It goes from your original design and turns it into just another horizontally aligned rocket ship. However, potential next evolution could be sticking a front rudder on the long nose section?

Either way, your design is cool and I'd be very interested in seeing what happens with it.

I am actually. Much like with what seems to be planned for the default ships at this stage the vessel would be half-way to the maximum level, as their appear to be 6-tiers of space ship.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Working on a mod that adds "oxystones" - basically crystals that you can place that grant air in an AoE like a campfire grants warmth. I thought about using the crystals from FFV as the spritework for it - do you guys think it looks out of place? (I'll probably make it half this height, though)

Edit: Here's a shrunk one:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 24, 2013

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there yet any formulas for crafting some of the more domestic building materials like straw thatch or the soft bricks? I'm settling on an arid planet very near a nice large avian village and I don't want to be gauche and have a mismatched home.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Machine pistols are hilariously overpowered in alpha sector with Anime Schoolgirl's modpack. I have one with an rof of 15 and 1 energy cost that does 2-4 damage (averaging 3ish) instead of the listed 1, giving me something close to 45 dps instead of the listed 15. It also juggles anything I catch in midair.

They become less OP as you get to later sectors.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Jackard posted:

Those Diablo shrines that grant you a random buff.

I died to one of these as my first 'buff' and had been avoiding touching them ever since. I thought they just killed you and were some quest poo poo!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Half the time they apply completely asinine amounts of burn/poison damage and the other half they give you one of those lovely stimpack buffs that doesn't last near long enough to matter.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Working on a mod that adds "oxystones" - basically crystals that you can place that grant air in an AoE like a campfire grants warmth. I thought about using the crystals from FFV as the spritework for it - do you guys think it looks out of place? (I'll probably make it half this height, though)

Haha, that's awesome. I was thinking about the possibility of such an item, but I didn't think there would be a way to do it. I like the crystal I suppose, but the perspective is isometric on it, and the rest of the game is pretty much side-view or near to it.

If nothing else, it would be cool to use the bunker fan art/animation for it, since that'd fit in seamlessly in some sort of asteroid base.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

I couldn't have named it better myself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Mimic posted:

Haha, that's awesome. I was thinking about the possibility of such an item, but I didn't think there would be a way to do it. I like the crystal I suppose, but the perspective is isometric on it, and the rest of the game is pretty much side-view or near to it.

If nothing else, it would be cool to use the bunker fan art/animation for it, since that'd fit in seamlessly in some sort of asteroid base.

That could work, and it'd make the recipe easier (just some iron bars). I was thinking of glass to make the crystal.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Gimbal lock posted:

I couldn't have named it better myself.

Reminds me of the hammer I found called Poop-smasher.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Kyrosiris posted:

I think the half-height one looks less out-of-place, but I think it looks a little odd free-floating in the air. Maybe some sort of base or something?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

shymog posted:

I think the half-height one looks less out-of-place, but I think it looks a little odd free-floating in the air. Maybe some sort of base or something?

Oh hell, if I was good enough at spritework for that, I wouldn't have to repurpose another game's sprite. :shobon:

I can give it a try, though.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

IAmTheRad posted:

:smuggo:

Glitches are great

Yeah, I just restarted as a glitch after the new patch and I'm enjoying the expanded information that being one gives you when you observe everything. For example, for one of the pieces of graffiti in the USCM human prison colony your character observes that their sensors indicate the blood it's drawn with is Hylotl blood.

I love little details like that :3:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

There! How's that?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

There! How's that?

Looks good! Post the mod?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pinegala posted:

Looks good! Post the mod?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/oxystones.606/ :)

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Sorry if I missed anything, I scanned a handful of pages back in case this is a known issue.

Is there a current glitch with hosting a server? I and my friend both tried hosting, port forwarded and all, messing with firewalls both on and off, but just couldn't connect to each other at any point. We were both able to run the game and connect to our own servers while they were up. All googling just brought me "are you SURE your ports are forwarded" forum chatter. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Aw yeah. That magical crystal looks perfect. My dream of a safely inhabitable asteroid base has been realized.

• Locked thread