Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Does the EE tweak difficult at all? I'm honestly more interested in playing through BG2 as quickly as possible, and I really don't want to fight an enemy more than once. Is the game still blisteringly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

Does the EE tweak difficult at all? I'm honestly more interested in playing through BG2 as quickly as possible, and I really don't want to fight an enemy more than once. Is the game still blisteringly difficult.

No, not directly anyway I don't believe. It adds some really strong new NPCs whose quests win them some pretty amazing items, plus you can use kits in BG1. If anything it's probably slightly easier, though longer with the added content.

Personally I don't find unmodded BG to be terribly difficult if you're familiar with the encounters and especially the magic system. You'll definitely do some reloading but if you've played through the saga in recent memory I can't imagine it would be "blisteringly difficult."

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 23, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Factor_VIII posted:

3E did have some spells cost XP or have expensive material components (the latter was admittedly also present in 2E) as a way or regulating their use. XP might not be so good in my opinion since the whole party or other PCs might benefit from a spell so it's unfair to burden the caster (e.g. it's unfair for a Wizard to lag behind the party in levels if he uses Wishes to raise the Fighter's strength). I think that the Pathinder approach of simply having some spells cost money is a good mechanism. The GM can control the money a party gets and the players can share the costs and decide on whether to spend money on spells or on gear.

The idea of casting haste to sickly enemy wizards occurred to me as well. Sort of fits in with the discussion earlier in this thread of casting Strength on Fire Giants to weaken them. :)

I would always be concerned about regulating the raising of stats, though. 3rd ed isn't as pissy about it as 2nd was, but raising stats to superhuman levels can really shatter a game system that's already kind of broken. I'd be really worried about some group having a Monty Haul campaign and spending all of their funds on making the barbarian as strong enough to bench-press an entire fleet of warships.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Pellisworth posted:

No, not directly anyway I don't believe. It adds some really strong new NPCs whose quests win them some pretty amazing items, plus you can use kits in BG1. If anything it's probably slightly easier, though longer with the added content.

Personally I don't find unmodded BG to be terribly difficult if you're familiar with the encounters and especially the magic system. You'll definitely do some reloading but if you've played through the saga in recent memory I can't imagine it would be "blisteringly difficult."

Dorn is such god mode that he makes the game quite a bit easier simply because he isn't a lovely NPC like most of them are.

(Tiax, the mage/cleric with something like 10 wisdom and 10 intelligence)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would always be concerned about regulating the raising of stats, though. 3rd ed isn't as pissy about it as 2nd was, but raising stats to superhuman levels can really shatter a game system that's already kind of broken. I'd be really worried about some group having a Monty Haul campaign and spending all of their funds on making the barbarian as strong enough to bench-press an entire fleet of warships.
I don't think really strong barbarians are much of a threat to game balance. And you can't raise stats to an unlimited amount. In 3E you can get a maximum of +5 to a stat from tomes or wishes (unlike 2E where there was no cap) and a +6 from magic items. Characters can also get a +5 from leveling up to 20. So a level 20 Half-orc barbarian with a starting strength of 20 who invests everything in raising his strength will have a base strength of 36, or 42 when raging. The latter translates to a maximum load of 8320 lbs. Pretty impressive, but at that point you'd expect characters to be capable of achieving truly superhuman feats. (Stats can go higher at epic levels, but items that give higher ability bonuses literally cost millions of gps.)

Casters can raise their casting stat to equal amounts, but at high levels enemies have really high saving throw bonuses, so the difficulty to save against their spells never becomes too high.

Edit: That carrying capacity value might seem big, but the monsters that barbarian meets may well be even stronger. In 3E, a Great Wyrm Red Dragon has a base strength of 45 without any wishes or stat-boosting items (and you'd expect such a wealthy and powerful creature to have such things). Even with this basal strength, the dragon has a carrying capacity of 307200 lbs. (Being a Colossal quadruped gives it a x24 multiplier to its carrying capacity.)

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 23, 2013

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

oswald ownenstein posted:

Dorn is such god mode that he makes the game quite a bit easier simply because he isn't a lovely NPC like most of them are.

(Tiax, the mage/cleric with something like 10 wisdom and 10 intelligence)

Yeah, Dorn in particular is a total boss throughout BG1 and BG2. Neera and Rasaad are both pretty solid and really come online in BG2. Neera is probably still not as good as Edwin, but she's certainly a fun and completely adequate replacement.

Edit:

Yeah, monks are weak early on, but Rasaad's Sun Soul abilities and unique gear make up for that a little. His stats aren't terrible, all told I think he's a stronger NPC than most of the old BG1 characters, though that's not saying much. Both him and Neera become powerhouses in BG2, though.

\/\/\/\/\/

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 24, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, Dorn in particular is a total boss throughout BG1 and BG2. Neera and Rashaad are both pretty solid and really come online in BG2. Neera is probably still not as good as Edwin, but she's certainly a fun and completely adequate replacement.

I thought the Monk was supposed to be total garbage in BG1 because of how lovely monks are at low levels?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

rope kid posted:

It may also have been incredibly effective against people wearing mail.

In one of those medieval weapons shows they found that the flail was pretty worthless in most situations and not at all a good combat weapon

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought the Monk was supposed to be total garbage in BG1 because of how lovely monks are at low levels?

They are worse than a Berserker or Kensai at levels 1 and 2, but catch up around level 4 or so. If you can hold on, their Stunning blow more than makes up for it.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

In one of those medieval weapons shows they found that the flail was pretty worthless in most situations and not at all a good combat weapon

They needed to find more heads for it i guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Flails are peasant improv farming implement weapons who's claim to fame is they could dismount a rider slightly worse than a pikeman who knew what he was doing. Flanged maces were purpose made to wreck rich assholes' armor.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Excelzior posted:

They are worse than a Berserker or Kensai at levels 1 and 2, but catch up around level 4 or so. If you can hold on, their Stunning blow more than makes up for it.

Monks also level pretty quickly, and you don't really want anyone except a fatty dedicated tank like Kagain wading into extended melee combat at those very low levels. Just give Rasaad a ranged weapon and have him plink away, melee when safe.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Does BG2 enhanced edition change the first dungeon at all? Do you still wake up with Jaheira, Imoen and Minsc regardless of your previous party choices?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

For BG2:EE I imported character instead of importing save so that may make a difference but I got the standard lineup at the start.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, Dorn in particular is a total boss throughout BG1 and BG2. Neera and Rasaad are both pretty solid and really come online in BG2. Neera is probably still not as good as Edwin, but she's certainly a fun and completely adequate replacement.

Edit:

Yeah, monks are weak early on, but Rasaad's Sun Soul abilities and unique gear make up for that a little. His stats aren't terrible, all told I think he's a stronger NPC than most of the old BG1 characters, though that's not saying much. Both him and Neera become powerhouses in BG2, though.

\/\/\/\/\/

I will never drop Neera, she summoned a pack of squirrels at the exact moment my entire party failed their saves against Hold Person in the fight with Mullahey in the Nashkel Mine, he then proceeded to run around caving in squirrel skulls until my party recovered with no-one lost.

(Of course she's also sunburst/fireballed herself to death, but that's just what you get)

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I dual classed my Swashbuckler to a Fighter/Thief at level 15. I finally hit level 16 on the fighter and it seemed to be worth it. The only thing is that, while I can search for traps, I can't disarm or unlock anything despite the button being there. Is this a bug or did I totally lose that ability? If I click on disarm it just does nothing. Doesn't give me the cursor or highlight the button.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dragonrah posted:

I dual classed my Swashbuckler to a Fighter/Thief at level 15. I finally hit level 16 on the fighter and it seemed to be worth it. The only thing is that, while I can search for traps, I can't disarm or unlock anything despite the button being there. Is this a bug or did I totally lose that ability? If I click on disarm it just does nothing. Doesn't give me the cursor or highlight the button.

Are you wearing armor heavier than studded leather? You can't use thief skills while wearing heavier armor types.

edit:

Dragonrah posted:

I forgot about that. I'm dumb. Ok, I can get rid of Jan, I just need to remove my armor each time....that sounds annoying....hmmmm

Nah. There are magical leather armors that are nearly or as good as plate. The Shadow Dragon Scale, for example. Use something like that if you don't want to dick around with switching armors all the time, you'll at most miss out on a point or two of AC versus wearing the best plate.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 24, 2013

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Pellisworth posted:

Are you wearing armor heavier than studded leather? You can't use thief skills while wearing heavier armor types.

I forgot about that. I'm dumb. Ok, I can get rid of Jan, I just need to remove my armor each time....that sounds annoying....hmmmm

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dragonrah posted:

Kill the Shadow Dragon, that's pretty boss armor and should work. Are you evil? there's another pretty baller armor for evil thieves (evil anyone, but it counts as leather so it's great for thieves).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 24, 2013

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

THS posted:

Does BG2 enhanced edition change the first dungeon at all? Do you still wake up with Jaheira, Imoen and Minsc regardless of your previous party choices?

No, yes. The only thing carried over from BG1 is your character sheet, basically. And pantaloons.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Another real life vs D&D thing that I thought was humorous is that there wasn't any such thing as Studded Leather because such a thing would be completely worthless.

Maybe rivets for fixing some kind of backing plate or bonings, but there would be absolutely no point in putting studs in leather.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Another real life vs D&D thing that I thought was humorous is that there wasn't any such thing as Studded Leather because such a thing would be completely worthless.

Maybe rivets for fixing some kind of backing plate or bonings, but there would be absolutely no point in putting studs in leather.

Isn't this more or less what the description of the armor in-game says? I thought the idea is that it's basically metal armor pinned to a leather shirt.

Baldur's Gate posted:

Studded leather armor has little in common with normal leather armor. While leather armor is a hardened shell, studded leather armor is soft and supple with hundreds of metal rivets affixed. The rivets are so close together that they form, a felxible coasting of hard metal that turns aside slashing and cutting attacks. The soft leather backing is little more than a means of securing the rivets in place.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Factor_VIII posted:

3E did have some spells cost XP or have expensive material components (the latter was admittedly also present in 2E) as a way or regulating their use.

Every decent wizard ends up carrying a bag full of batshit and sulfur, and a whole loving backpack of tiny crystal cones.

gently caress that noise, we always removed spell components in 2E. It was just more poo poo everyone had to keep track of and constantly writing/erasing that wore out your character sheet.

VodeAndreas posted:

(Of course she's also sunburst/fireballed herself to death, but that's just what you get)

She summoned a pit fiend on us and against a level 3 party a pit fiend is pretty tough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have been playing BGIIEE that I acquired via steam. Has anyone been playing that and if so, have you encountered an issue with your characters gaining new hitpoints when leveling? I made a fighter and made sure I had 18 Constitution; I just hit level 9 and it is only granting me 3 hitpoints even though my minimum should be 5 (+4 from CON plus a die roll of 1).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mickey McKey posted:

I have been playing BGIIEE that I acquired via steam. Has anyone been playing that and if so, have you encountered an issue with your characters gaining new hitpoints when leveling? I made a fighter and made sure I had 18 Constitution; I just hit level 9 and it is only granting me 3 hitpoints even though my minimum should be 5 (+4 from CON plus a die roll of 1).

At level 10 you stop rolling for hitpoints and I believe stop getting a Con bonus. Instead you get a flat rate: 3 for warriors and barbarians, 1 for mages and sorcerers and 2 for everyone else

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skwirl posted:

At level 10 you stop rolling for hitpoints and I believe stop getting a Con bonus. Instead you get a flat rate: 3 for warriors and barbarians, 1 for mages and sorcerers and 2 for everyone else

:gonk: Really? :argh: 2nd edition I completely forgot about that. And yeah it was level 10, not 9, so that is definitely it, yikes. Thank you.

I was re-reading this page and reading the following reminded me of something:

Pellisworth posted:

I think the amount of enemies with either spells or abilities that Hold or Confuse is pretty high, and buffing those saves is pretty hard to do, so I imagine some people may have a tough time when they get some unlucky rolls. I know I've nerdraged a few times when a hobgoblin shaman that refused to die managed to cast Hold Person a third time on my party.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wouldn't a mace also be really easy to learn? I imagine with Swords you'd have to learn how to swordfight, parry, and be able to determine what areas to pierce. Spears would require knowledge of formations/how to use your base/weight to hit weak points. Even twohanded weapons would require learning pivots/how you use your own body to increase force in blows. Maces, clubs, and sticks all function under the "beat them until he stops twitching" school of thought. Anybody could pick up a mace and know exactly how to kill a person with it, no other questions asked.

When the character presumably can't get much combat training because they are so busy healing/praying/other clerical duties, I could see why they'd go in with maces.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Rookersh posted:

Wouldn't a mace also be really easy to learn? I imagine with Swords you'd have to learn how to swordfight, parry, and be able to determine what areas to pierce. Spears would require knowledge of formations/how to use your base/weight to hit weak points. Even twohanded weapons would require learning pivots/how you use your own body to increase force in blows. Maces, clubs, and sticks all function under the "beat them until he stops twitching" school of thought. Anybody could pick up a mace and know exactly how to kill a person with it, no other questions asked.

When the character presumably can't get much combat training because they are so busy healing/praying/other clerical duties, I could see why they'd go in with maces.

Traditionally spears were the weapon of choice for pretty much everyone. They're not hard to figure out, you hold it and stab a dude, the reach meant you could fight in relative safety. The short range of a club or hammer would mean you'd have to get closer, that would mean you would have to be keen on the finer points of melee fighting. Really, rpgs are not realistic because 90% of folks would be armed with spears or other pole arms. Those who weren't would soon be dead. Seriously, there's a reason spears and spear derivatives were so popular in every culture, they're awesome. But, it's a DnD RPG, trying to make sense of it is a fools errand.

MegaGatts fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 24, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've never really thought about it before but is the idea that they were used to wrap around shields?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I've never really thought about it before but is the idea that they were used to wrap around shields?

Yeah it could fling around shields, but the real issue was the short range and you had to spin it up to do any real damage. It also couldn't really be used defensively, unlike shields/axes/etc.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

ReWinter posted:

Isn't this more or less what the description of the armor in-game says? I thought the idea is that it's basically metal armor pinned to a leather shirt.

'Studded leather' didn't really exist though. Brigandine was a type of armor that had metal plates sandwiched between leather and held in place by rivets (studs), but the idea that you would put enough studs in a piece of leather to somehow make it useful is absurd.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

ReWinter posted:

Maybe, but that description appears to have been written for something other than what it was attached to.

Studded leather armor ingame, both icons and rendered, literally is just leather with periodic metal studs. This is also borne out in the mechanics (bards can cast spells in studded leather but not non-elven mail).

A lot of D&D is just dumb in general. Druids can't use metal swords but can use scimitars because ~reasons~*.

*Reasons: Gary Gygax has said that scimitars look kinda like sickles, if you tilt your head a certain angle.

E: VV yeah, I should probably stop posting when tired. Mea culpa.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 24, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

Maybe, but that description appears to have been written for something other than what it was attached to.

Studded leather armor ingame, both icons and rendered, literally is just leather with periodic metal studs. This is also borne out in the mechanics (bards can cast spells in studded leather but not non-elven mail).

A lot of D&D is just dumb in general. Druids can't use metal swords but can use scimitars because ~reasons~*.

*Reasons: Gary Gygax has said that scimitars look kinda like sickles, if you tilt your head a certain angle.

Bards can't cast in any kind of armor, including basic leather (aside from Elven Chain), unless you're using one of those spell failure mods; in which case they can cast in anything, but the heavier the armor the greater the chance of spell failure.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
While I'm doing a couple play throughs of BG2 I noticed that there isn't a lot of armor variety for pretty much everything except for chest and ring slot. I wish there was a way to add some more variety to it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Azuth0667 posted:

While I'm doing a couple play throughs of BG2 I noticed that there isn't a lot of armor variety for pretty much everything except for chest and ring slot. I wish there was a way to add some more variety to it.

BACK IN THE DAY it was already special if a game had more than two sprites for your character. Since the characters were hand drawn you had to pay somebody to do a full set of positioning and animation for every armor variant which got old quick.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skwirl posted:

Bards can't cast in any kind of armor, including basic leather (aside from Elven Chain), unless you're using one of those spell failure mods; in which case they can cast in anything, but the heavier the armor the greater the chance of spell failure.

Thieving abilities is probably what he was going for - bards can't pickpocket in chain, and similarly fighter-thieves are restricted when wearing anything heavier than studded leather.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

peak debt posted:

BACK IN THE DAY it was already special if a game had more than two sprites for your character. Since the characters were hand drawn you had to pay somebody to do a full set of positioning and animation for every armor variant which got old quick.

One of the things I kind of hoped for was that EE would introduce 3d-models for characters, but given the amount of stuff in the game it is a relatively big project.

Maybe someday gemrb will get support for it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

tirinal posted:

Really? I could swear my bard can't cast in IWD unless he has no armor at all. What did I do wrong?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Furism posted:

Really? I could swear my bard can't cast in IWD unless he has no armor at all. What did I do wrong?

There's elven chainmail armor that allows your bard to wear armor and still cast spells. Thanks to the somewhat randomized loot system in IWD though it's possible to never see it on your playthrough.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Bards got casting in light armor in 3.5 which IWD2 ran under so that's maybe what you were thinking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zilkin posted:

There's elven chainmail armor that allows your bard to wear armor and still cast spells. Thanks to the somewhat randomized loot system in IWD though it's possible to never see it on your playthrough.

Is it explicitly written that it allows bard to cast spells? Because if it isn't, I might not have tried it on the Bard. The semi-random drop systems means that's it's supposed to drop in a particular area (but not always) right? Where would that be?