Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Also yes you can pull the pedal units apart and put foam blocks in there to create more resistance, it's really easy to do and there are loads of guides on Google.

I'm usually a loving master at Google-fu for this type of stuff, but the only mods I keep finding are forum posts about dual springs, the Nixim mod (new spring and what looks like a rubber block), and then a bunch of crazy rear end load cell mods that break $100. Do you happen to have a link to a foam brake mod that you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

I'm usually a loving master at Google-fu for this type of stuff, but the only mods I keep finding are forum posts about dual springs, the Nixim mod (new spring and what looks like a rubber block), and then a bunch of crazy rear end load cell mods that break $100. Do you happen to have a link to a foam brake mod that you recommend?

I don't have any personal recommendations as it is only something I looked into rather then ever did myself. I find the pedals fine for me.
You basically want to open this part up:

Then you have free reign to try various blocks of foam or load cells in there.

There are also variations on this which I have heard work well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSXOZJXEJ0

Apart from those you'll be spending the kind of money you mentioned, I guess it comes down to how confident you are DIYing, but like I say, I like mine as it is, sorry I can't offer first hand knowledge.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Just confirmed from a friend that Race 07 is worth it and a 360 pad is competitive so I bought it and all the DLC and joined the Steam group.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2013

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

[stuff about modding pedals]

Yeah, I found that video. I think the first plan of action is to see if I like them out of the box to start with, of course. The pedals are a big upgrade over what comes with the Formula Force setup... so I might be just fine with default spring action. The little bit of AC I played with my old setup left me thinking that breaking is way too linear, however... and I lost control just about every turn. Of course, I also suck right now... so it might not just be the pedals!

But I think if I try to mod them, I'm going to look for the double spring shown in that vid. That seems pretty easy to pull off in a way that shouldn't muck up the innards.

Edit: Yeah, Race 07 is on the games list for TrackIR. AC isn't on their list though... but I think I'm going to use their head track to keyboard button application and just mod in the glance controls to left and right neck movement. I find that I don't get much out of head tracking for racing games.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

Yeah, I found that video. I think the first plan of action is to see if I like them out of the box to start with, of course. The pedals are a big upgrade over what comes with the Formula Force setup... so I might be just fine with default spring action. The little bit of AC I played with my old setup left me thinking that breaking is way too linear, however... and I lost control just about every turn. Of course, I also suck right now... so it might not just be the pedals!

But I think if I try to mod them, I'm going to look for the double spring shown in that vid. That seems pretty easy to pull off in a way that shouldn't muck up the innards.

The pedals you get with the G25 / 27 are really pretty good, they are leaps and bounds above the more budget stuff out there. Give them a go for a bit :)

I've never felt the urge to do the mods and the brake pedal is harder to push down already than the accelerator so it does give a bit of realism out of the box there.

EvilJoven - I love a good racing game but I suck pretty hard at them! I've also never played Race 07 so you'll probably whip my rear end anyway.

Just tried Race 07 in the Rift and it works really well, nice!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I was pretty good at GT3 and 4 except for the 'ring because I could never be arsed to take the time to learn the 40 or so finicky corners that'd bite you in the rear end if you didn't hit them just right. In GT4 I'd win every series with golds in all the races except for the ring, where I consistently came in 5th or 6th.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah you'd kick my rear end ha ha

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Thanks for starting that group - joined as speedtek and grabbed Race07. I already have GT Legends, GTR, Raceroom & Assetto Corsa. Whenever I have a chance to play I'll look out for you guys.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Joined the group as well, I think I own all the Race stuff, as well as Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car 2013, GT Legends, GTR1 and 2.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Why is there an invisible wall right here, blocking me from driving my Ferrari on that sweet hill? Worst game ever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's a pretty standard thing to do in racing games. They put an invisible wall at all the cool places to explore. Like the wall that blocks you from the oval on Monza in AC.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah, but Assetto Corsa actually lets you drive in a few random places, so it's sort of hit and miss whether you can go somewhere or not. I also realise that I'm playing it wrong if I'm just driving around randomly.

Another fun thing to do: Try driving into the barrier on one of the new drag tracks, while driving the Lotus 49.

Nition fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 23, 2013

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I joined up, I've got GT Legends and all the Race 07 stuff (thanks to the current sale), F1 2013 Classic, and iRacing.

Never played Race 07 but it's installing now. Are there any necessary tweaks or mods or anything I should setup before I get to racing anyone?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

If you like exploring in cars, may I suggest the HistorX/Historic Touring and GT Cars mod for rFactor and this track http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?id=Cannonball%20Run%20USA

It's even got Burt Reynolds on the loading screen.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What's the deal with all the Race07 expansions? There are like 5 versions of the game on my Steam list now, do the expansions integrate into the main game or do I have to choose a different game each time I want to do a different sets of cars and tracks?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

You just run the main game. Unfortunately they all show up separately like that. It's the only thing I've used categories for in Steam, to get all those out of the way.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

headfake posted:

You just run the main game. Unfortunately they all show up separately like that. It's the only thing I've used categories for in Steam, to get all those out of the way.

Hmm... I've been installing all the separate items, was that the wrong thing to do? Do they automatically download with the main game or should I download everything but only run Race 07 afterwards?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

thorsilver posted:

Hmm... I've been installing all the separate items, was that the wrong thing to do? Do they automatically download with the main game or should I download everything but only run Race 07 afterwards?

Na, you're doing the right thing. I had to download them all as well. Then they all show up in the Race 07 main game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how the car interiors in Race aren't fully modelled so I have to tweak TrackIR so I can't tell that the back half of the car is missing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Joined the group, got Race 07, plus DLCs, GTR 2 and GT Legends.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

I like how the car interiors in Race aren't fully modelled so I have to tweak TrackIR so I can't tell that the back half of the car is missing.

Yeah, but at least they let you move the camera out that far - most of the other racing games I've tried have terrible trackir support and you have to turn the sensitivity waaaaay up to get a super limited field of view.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I thought it was a great job from what I have seen so far in the Rift, I mean, this was out 6 years ago!
The F40 in Asseto Corsa is amazing inside, they have even modelled the very 90's padded vinyl headlining well :allears:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

peter gabriel posted:

I thought it was a great job from what I have seen so far in the Rift, I mean, this was out 6 years ago!
The F40 in Asseto Corsa is amazing inside, they have even modelled the very 90's padded vinyl headlining well :allears:

Honestly I like how Race 07 looks in the Rift with Tridef more than Assetto Corsa. My big issue with AC's Rift support is that it doesn't have any IPD adjustments, so for me everything looks extremely small with an exaggerated sense of depth. The 3D seems to be working right and the tracking seems solid, so there's a good foundation there, but as it is I can't actually play with it yet.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I joined the group even though I only really play Dirt 3 the odd time on PC. I do plan on getting AC once the price to content ratio is right for me, if I get a wheel that might come sooner though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sethsez posted:

Honestly I like how Race 07 looks in the Rift with Tridef more than Assetto Corsa. My big issue with AC's Rift support is that it doesn't have any IPD adjustments, so for me everything looks extremely small with an exaggerated sense of depth. The 3D seems to be working right and the tracking seems solid, so there's a good foundation there, but as it is I can't actually play with it yet.

Agreed actually, I think it's testament to how far TriDef has come on more than anything. It's really fully featured now and even has a calibration tool built into the Head Tracking menu.
If you push your mouse to the right of the screen in AC you get a load of menu options and I found that playing with the seat position and FOV in there made the game perfect in every way, try it if you haven't already.
I basically copied the view that iRacing gives me and it works so so well.

Edit: Jehde - The Dirt series is a huge game for me, I love it, I know this is the sim thread but wanted to let you know I reckon there are plenty of people like me in the group who want a quick arcadey fix sometimes.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Going from code masters games to proper Sims will blow your mind. Loading times are a couple of days shorter for a start....

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

CancerCakes posted:

Going from code masters games to proper Sims will blow your mind. Loading times are a couple of days shorter for a start....

Someone hasn't played rF2.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Race 07 and GTR 2 are really fun so far, and actually don't look half bad with the settings jacked up to max and AA on max. The driving is most important and I'm enjoying that for sure.

For the low low price of about £6 for all this stuff I can drive a huge variety of cars on lots of tracks I can't afford to buy in iRacing :v:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

Someone hasn't played rF2.

Are you referring to load times? I went from a 7200rpm drive to an SSD and loading times are exactly the same :shrug:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

CactusWeasle posted:

Are you referring to load times? I went from a 7200rpm drive to an SSD and loading times are exactly the same :shrug:

Yup. I noticed a big jump in responsiveness for most applications when I got my SSD, but not with load times. AC has much better load times than rF2, but to be fair the rF2 courses have much more detail.

In other news, one hour until the Kunos announcement, I'm guessing an official Assetto Corsa release date.

Edit: nvm, they just announced it. AC is getting the 'Ring and a 10-car DLC.

link here

Laser- scanned Nurburgring will be awesome, as will a user - chosen dream car pack like the Forza Jalopnik car packs, but it all comes down to the price they will charge...

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 24, 2013

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Sigh Paid DLC already announced before game is done. But a laser scanned 'Ring sounds soooo good. I have to admit, I'm sure that there is a bit more cost involved in getting this license and scanning the track - especially for a small studio like theirs. Hope it's reasonably priced.

edited: it's christmas, gonna tone down the moaning ...

pvax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The utility of laser scanning is questionable at best, if you have decent geodata. Accuracy is a fallacy, given that a track slightly shifts around with heat, ground humidity (i.e. rain), tides and what not. Even more so with the Nordschleife, which often has different weather in the different sections, due to its size.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I have to say, it was remarkably poor timing on their part to announce paid DLC almost immediately after their early access game was one of the highlighted Steam sales. It really makes me wonder what they're going to consider a "completed" game.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

10 cars as "DLC"? That seems to me like something that basically everyone is going to have to wind up buying if they want to play the game online. I'm buying it, of course.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The utility of laser scanning is questionable at best, if you have decent geodata. Accuracy is a fallacy, given that a track slightly shifts around with heat, ground humidity (i.e. rain), tides and what not. Even more so with the Nordschleife, which often has different weather in the different sections, due to its size.

I've heard some very well-made arguments that agree with this. I guess proper surveying techniques can get something approaching exactly the same, but it requires a lot of skill. That's why you can name only a handful of people/groups that put out good user-made tracks.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 24, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Add in a formula Ford and a couple more tracks and they could call it done if they really wanted to.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The Ring is exciting, but in my experience it usually doesn't make for very interesting races with strangers. I would very much enjoy a 'track day' style server running it though... maybe 30 people across all different sorts of cars.

On the other hand, it's easy enough to keep the car on the track in this game that maybe I'm wrong about the racing part.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Combat Pretzel posted:

People seem to go loving nuts when they hear the words laser scanned. I couldn't care less, as long as the model is decent, and there is a believable amount of grip, bumps, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

People seem to go loving nuts when they hear the words laser scanned. I couldn't care less, as long as the model is decent, and there is a believable amount of grip, bumps, etc.

That is a big issue with the racing sim genre. It has more marketing buzzwords than any other gaming genre, and like all buzzwords they are bullshit. People eat that crap up though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I've never been able to wrap my head around how a track and surface could be 'millimeter accurate' and still fit on a consumer hard drive. It's almost like it's marketing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

An Enormous Boner posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around how a track and surface could be 'millimeter accurate' and still fit on a consumer hard drive. It's almost like it's marketing bullshit.

"almost like"

I've never been sure why I'm supposed to give a poo poo about it being accurate down to the millimeter. I don't actually care if a pebble is out of place, and tracks change a hell of a lot more than that just from weather and heat so it's not as if a laser-scanned track is some kind of definitive statement on how the track actually exists anyway.

It's bullshit designed to appeal to the same people who think less grip = more realism. In practice I'd defy anyone to be able to actually tell the difference.

• Locked thread