Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Last page, people were talking about Italian prog. Allow me to contribute:

Alusa Fallax - Intorno alla mia cattiva educazione
(When that Almodóvar movie "La mala educación" came out, I had to laugh because I had just gotten into this album, and their titles translate to basically the same thing)

Osanna - L'uomo
Palepoli by them is also good, and those are the only 2 I know from Osanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Just randomly came across Ingranaggi della Valle and their album In Hoc Signo sounds pretty promising.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Allen Wren posted:

:frogout:

No, really.

Also either you're deaf or trolling, you could not have possibly thought that that sounded anything like Renaissance, come on.

When I first heard it on my college radio station way back in 1999, I thought it was from the 90s renaissance lineup (which was Michael Dunford and some other chick). I think it was called "The Other Woman". Up to that point I had only heard bits and pieces of "The Other Woman" so I couldn't tell. I could tell it wasn't Annie Haslam, but it had a sound like they were going for the old Renaissance sound. I never said it was as good as classic 70s Renaissance, but it was reminiscent of it. Sort of like Blackmore's Night's attempt to recapture that sound, and being somewhat successful, but for the most part inferior to the original. Evanescence has that sound as well, albeit with more of an emo flavor.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just getting caught up and I'm kind of surprised no one said anything about Dream Theater's latest album, but I don't really blame anyone for not bringing it up either. I asked a buddy of mine what he thought and he said "One song reminded me of Kamelot. Another song sounded like Rush. That's about all I remember I guess."

Really disappointed because I had considered Portnoy's influence on the band to be a negative thing, and thought we'd get another SFaM with all the positive energy flowing. You can actually hear Myung a little now, there are no idiotic growls in the backing vocals, and no songs whining about alcoholism - but all that's left is a directionless mish-mash of uninspired instrument wankery. I keep hoping it will grow on me like some of their other recent albums, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Illumination Theory is pretty badass, I'll give them that.

edit: instead of just being negative, I have recently found Cynic - Traced in Air and the whole thing is really good, especially 'Nunc Stans' and 'The Space For This':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUOxNaq35TU

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 12, 2013

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

As a big Dream Theater fan boy and given how much I (surprisingly) liked A Dramatic Turn of Events, the s/t was rather a let down. It's probably their only album that I feel is a directionless mish-mash like you say.

Grumble grumble. Maybe the next one will be better. They do seem to be going through a rather long "on again, off again" phase in terms of output.

See now I want to listen to some more Cynic. While Traced In Air wasn't Focus pt2, I'm sort of glad it wasn't. Got that twist on it while still being awesome, even when played live. Their new album will probably follow the pattern of moving further away from metal.

If you haven't heard it yet, try out The Portal Tapes. It's all the recordings they made as Portal after Cynic split up. Very chilled prog rock / jazz stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you like Portal try Exivious. Same vein, with Tymon from Cynic, and the drummer from Textures. I forget who else is in it. It's like heavy jazz fusion. As far as the next Cynic goes, I'm not too excited because Re-Traced was dull, and Aeon Spoke, Paul's side project, is also fairly dull, but definitely pleasant. I see them going more in that direction which is disappointing.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

DroneRiff posted:

See now I want to listen to some more Cynic. While Traced In Air wasn't Focus pt2, I'm sort of glad it wasn't. Got that twist on it while still being awesome, even when played live. Their new album will probably follow the pattern of moving further away from metal.

Yeah the promo track is... not really getting me excited, to be honest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdu8Ee9zBk0

The vocal melodies sound really stock and cheesy, and I'm not a fan of the lyrics. It doesn't seem to have much of the jazz influence on the last 2 albums or the world music/space rock angle of CBA to me.

Eh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it sounds like they just ran Aeon Spoke through some Cynic Filters.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It definitely isn't nearly as inspiring as any other Cynic. Still looking forward to the album, but yeah I hope the vocals are better on other tracks. Those lyrics are really stupid, and the melody sounds very forced.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
So I just found this album and I think it's one of the best debuts I've ever heard from a progressive metal outfit, especially considering they are from Spain of all places.

Well produced (if a bit on the loud side, vocals are undermixed), very atmospheric, emotional, and powerful music. I'm not sure how to describe it. Riverside meets Enslaved meets BTBAM with the powerful and bombastic style of Symphony X? I'm kind of terrible at describing these things but check it out.

Download or listen to the whole thing on bandcamp:

Carving Colours - No way but forwards

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Has anyone else heard any of Road to Red, the King Crimson live box set? There's loads of great stuff there, but having just heard CD 20, the final tour performance, that set is worth checking out even if you aren't interested in the whole thing. I haven't heard a more ferocious version of 21st Century Schizoid Man, Fracture is beautifully tense and Starless - which is a great track but previously wouldn't have made my list of favourites - is utterly jaw dropping here. The sound quality on this show is a little low (it various across the box set) but it's still amazing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Has anyone else heard any of Road to Red, the King Crimson live box set? There's loads of great stuff there, but having just heard CD 20, the final tour performance, that set is worth checking out even if you aren't interested in the whole thing. I haven't heard a more ferocious version of 21st Century Schizoid Man, Fracture is beautifully tense and Starless - which is a great track but previously wouldn't have made my list of favourites - is utterly jaw dropping here. The sound quality on this show is a little low (it various across the box set) but it's still amazing.

The second half of Starless is one of my favourite crimson passages ever even in its studio form, so I should probably check that out.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I thought the Great Deciever was an excellent box set that was just too heavy on the repetition for me. I don't know what to make out of this!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

I thought the Great Deceiver was an excellent box set that was just too heavy on the repetition for me. I don't know what to make out of this!

You probably wouldn't like it then. The draw is mainly just hearing all the different bits of live improvisation - both whole pieces and within the actual tracks - so if hearing the same track 15 times with different solos and fills and so on doesn't appeal, it's probably not worth it. There are individual examples where a track sounds significantly different from usual - the 21st Century Schizoid Man I mentioned above for example - but often it's subtler. I'm probably only going to go the whole thing once more, taking note of which my favourite versions are/which I think are notable, then make a "best of" playlist and forget about the rest.

Also I am sorely disappointed at the total lack of Larks Tongues (Part One). They haven't even got the two included in the Great Deceiver.

LoteShiva
Feb 9, 2008
Resident Lemur Detangler
Someone recommended I look in this thread for an answer, hopefully you guys can help me out.

LoteShiva posted:

A friend showed me this band a while back. We listened to a few songs and it was awesome. Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember the band, the album name, song titles, or any lyrics. All I can remember is that it was a concept album about a ship's crew that finds a magical island upon which they get hunted by natives, their ship wrecks, and the adventure ends in tragedy.

The music is a bit trippy, and really immerses you in the story.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IIRC Motorpsycho did a collaboration concept album with a Norwegian musician about the adventures of a ship, The Death Defying Unicorn.

LoteShiva
Feb 9, 2008
Resident Lemur Detangler

a medical mystery posted:

IIRC Motorpsycho did a collaboration concept album with a Norwegian musician about the adventures of a ship, The Death Defying Unicorn.

Motorpsycho. That's the one! Thanks a lot man!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Saw this today, Dream Theater released a torrent of free live tracks that weren't on their latest live album:

http://www.dreamtheater.net/news/happy-holidays-dream-theater-88331

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Sauska posted:

well chrome hoof has a new album out this year and it's a goody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRPJQxyov8

cuneiform is putting out some good rear end records this year

Aha, I knew the name was familiar - they're one of many bands associated with Kavus Torabi, and share some members with his group Knifeworld(who are also worth checking out).

Also related to the above, I can't believe I've spent so long stubbornly not listening to Karda Estra, when it's clearly the sort of thing that pushes all my prog buttons. They've even got a free album and everything.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
A local (Stockholm, Sweden) Progressive Metal band called Structural Disorder, who sort of remind me of bands like early Pain of Salvation, and Haken, have released a couple of songs from their upcoming debut album, and it's super good. Plus they have an accordion player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFInwGCvhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3DwnoOW3WE

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Nice find, Thanks

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Being a huge Dream Theater fanboy and apologist, I have to weigh in on their new album. I agree that tit just didn't grab me at all. I think part of the problem is that everyone had these lofty expectations of "Portnoy's gone! Now they'll make Images and Words again!", alongside DT making it a self-titled album which generally insinuates "We're changing up our sound a whole bunch and now we are reborn", and it just sounds like B sides from A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Some of the songs are fun and good at their core, but they need more polish. "The Looking Glass" sounds like a pretty good Rush-tribute song, but then it ends REALLY suddenly, like almost in the middle of a verse. Also "Surrender to Reason" is another Rush-tribute song, at least at the beginning, so we get it, you like Alex Lifeson.

Enigma Machine sounds like it'll be a fun instrumental to see live, but Illumination Theory sounds like they made a few short songs, and then went "eh, we need to have a 20+ minute track on the album. Let's just stitch them together with some cheesy orchestration and random ambient stuff."

It's not their worst album, and at times it's great and hey, Myung's writing again, it's just not the sum of its parts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If by any chance you've listened to the latest Ayreon's album and didn't look up his guest singers, you really should give Toehider a go. They are Australian, and they are a lot of fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHP_SDCb1-0
And their vocalist is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnG5iLR9g9k

Not sure if 'avant-garde' qualifies as prog, but someone has mentioned Arcturus, so yeah, whatever, here's some Finns with an unpronounceable band name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbahejW5EE
Their klezmer is what does it for me, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryVJG9zDZxU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Paladinus posted:

Not sure if 'avant-garde' qualifies as prog, but someone has mentioned Arcturus, so yeah, whatever, here's some Finns with an unpronounceable band name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbahejW5EE
Their klezmer is what does it for me, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryVJG9zDZxU
Whoa, this is awesome. Any idea where I can pick this up stateside?

Veering more offtopic, but if you're into weird bands with klezmer influences, definitely check out the complete lineup from every Honkfest (start with Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band, which is a constant staple at the festival).

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 15, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No idea where you can buy an actual CD in the US. I reckon, you can buy most of their stuff digitally from usual places like iTunes or Amazon.

Misogynist posted:

Veering more offtopic, but if you're into weird bands with klezmer influences, definitely check out the complete lineup from every Honkfest (start with Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band, which is a constant staple at the festival).
Steampunk klezmer? Well, that's just grand, cheers.

And to neatly cover up the offtopic, another band I've recently discovered is Ideamen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNKhZbF-8c

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Okay so a new Blackfield album [Steven Wilson side project with Israeli musician Aviv Geffen] comes out and no one bothers to tell me? Frig you guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvqGM-Cmx0w

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nihil morari posted:

Okay so a new Blackfield album [Steven Wilson side project with Israeli musician Aviv Geffen] comes out and no one bothers to tell me? Frig you guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvqGM-Cmx0w
I stopped caring after Welcome to My DNA was loving awful, honestly. And Wilson's basically just a guest musician these days.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Misogynist posted:

I stopped caring after Welcome to My DNA was loving awful, honestly. And Wilson's basically just a guest musician these days.

There's no 'basically' about it, he is just a guest now

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The first Blackfield album is really good. Classic soft-rock stuff. The second album was terrible and slightly annoying.
I just assumed the rest of them were terrible too, is this correct?

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
You're all wrong! :argh:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The first Blackfield album is really good. Classic soft-rock stuff. The second album was terrible and slightly annoying.
I just assumed the rest of them were terrible too, is this correct?

If you thought the second one was terrible, you're going to find the rest absolutely abysmal.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
The first album is pretty great, but geeze, I really don't get the hate for the other albums. I like them all :/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of, anyone else catch Blackfield on the Welcome to My DNA tour and find them to be unbelievably loud? I caught them at Irving Plaza in 2011, and maybe it's just the Anathema acoustic set that preceded them, but even from the balcony level my ears were ringing with earplugs in. Good show anyway, but I regretted it a little bit for a few days afterwards.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been poking around a bit with Barclay James Harvest's stuff on Spotify. Did they ever try to repeat the sound of Galadriel and Mocking Bird on anything else?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of, anyone else catch Blackfield on the Welcome to My DNA tour and find them to be unbelievably loud? I caught them at Irving Plaza in 2011, and maybe it's just the Anathema acoustic set that preceded them, but even from the balcony level my ears were ringing with earplugs in. Good show anyway, but I regretted it a little bit for a few days afterwards.

I caught them on that tour, and I remember my ears ringing pretty badly afterwards, but not necessarily unbearably loudly. But yeah, it was Anathema's first or second US show, and apparently they had a bunch of Visa issues, so it was like, two of them doing acoustic versions... which probably didn't help things.

Personally, I listen to "Open Mind" and "Blackfield" and go "yeah this is awesome!" and then for some reason just immediately tune to something else. I really like the first two tracks, but I don't think I could tell you any other tracks on any other albums, not because they're bad or mediocre, but just because I never get that far.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Wish there was a better quality version of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DnazR840k

Instrumental medley of DT's A Change of Seasons into LTE's Paradigm Shift, awesome poo poo.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I always really liked Portnoy's drumming and thought he was the best part of watching Dream Theater live (I've only seen their dvds). He was way more animated than the other guys in the band.
Speaking of Portnoy, anyone else listen to the new Transatlantic album? I think it's pretty great and way better than The Whirlwind, which I didn't really like at all. Plus Gildenlow got to sing lead on a verse which was a nice touch.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ingram posted:

Wish there was a better quality version of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DnazR840k

Instrumental medley of DT's A Change of Seasons into LTE's Paradigm Shift, awesome poo poo.

The bassist has way better stage presence than Myung has ever had.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Helicity posted:

Just getting caught up and I'm kind of surprised no one said anything about Dream Theater's latest album, but I don't really blame anyone for not bringing it up either. I asked a buddy of mine what he thought and he said "One song reminded me of Kamelot. Another song sounded like Rush. That's about all I remember I guess."

Really disappointed because I had considered Portnoy's influence on the band to be a negative thing, and thought we'd get another SFaM with all the positive energy flowing. You can actually hear Myung a little now, there are no idiotic growls in the backing vocals, and no songs whining about alcoholism - but all that's left is a directionless mish-mash of uninspired instrument wankery. I keep hoping it will grow on me like some of their other recent albums, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Illumination Theory is pretty badass, I'll give them that.

edit: instead of just being negative, I have recently found Cynic - Traced in Air and the whole thing is really good, especially 'Nunc Stans' and 'The Space For This':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUOxNaq35TU

Cynic's out with a brand new album, it's good and you should listen to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Callick posted:

Cynic's out with a brand new album, it's good and you should listen to it

I actually kinda hated Kindly Bent To Free Us when I first heard it, but after giving it a serious chance it has grown on me and I feel like it's a great album. I had to get out of the metal mindset and take it for what it was - a prog rock album by Cynic. The bass lines and mix are loving perfect too.

I also thought the lyrics were utter poo poo at first as well, but they've become kind of endearing in their floaty silly Buddhist way... even 'snap, crackle and pop'.