Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Lfucking OHL.

Maybe you can find a few unhappy users on craigslist who cant return em after the 30days stole them? Both local shops have sold out due to rich guys xmas snypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

No way Nikon Df is getting a price drop. It has to be competitive with the Leica M Monochrom, you know.

You're right. All the reviews I read predicted it wouldn't sell well since it only appeals to rich old men and K*Rock, not Real Photographers.

My only real option is to mug the first person I see with one.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't see the draw of the df. It's like somebody crudely bolted some late 60s porsche body kit parts on an escalade.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

I don't see the draw of the df. It's like somebody crudely bolted some late 60s porsche body kit parts on an escalade.

The sensor is the reason ffs, read a loving book.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

The sensor is the reason ffs, read a loving book.

So buy a d600 and be better off for it.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

a foolish pianist posted:

Close enough?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Wow. That actually IS pretty close to a Df.

gently caress that lowercase "f" while we're at it.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
So much hate for a camera most would have been 'sperging out for if it had been $1000 cheaper. Everything I've seen has been pretty compelling about the DF earning its' keep pretty easily once you've had a chance to use it. Coming from mirrorless, it seems like a better compromise than going into most of the current faves, if only for some of the really nice glass options and the arguably excellent performance in low light. Not for everyone, but some people are sure to dig it. Every new camera out there has at least one fatal flaw, in the eyes of the abstainers. The vanity of the DF seems to be a lesser sin compared to some of its' competitors.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

krackmonkey posted:

So much hate for a camera most would have been 'sperging out for if it had been $1000 cheaper. Everything I've seen has been pretty compelling about the DF earning its' keep pretty easily once you've had a chance to use it. Coming from mirrorless, it seems like a better compromise than going into most of the current faves, if only for some of the really nice glass options and the arguably excellent performance in low light. Not for everyone, but some people are sure to dig it. Every new camera out there has at least one fatal flaw, in the eyes of the abstainers. The vanity of the DF seems to be a lesser sin compared to some of its' competitors.

You've basically argued against it right there: The better glass options and low light you can get for much cheaper by using the D600. Sure, the Df lets you use non-AI lenses but the money you save on not getting the Df lets you spend on actual modern glass.

The Df gets so much hate not exclusively because it's $1000 too expensive, it's because it's $1000 too expensive compared to almost the same camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have trouble believing that the DF really earns its keep, whether in comparison to Nikon's own cameras or the many excellent mirrorless systems available right now. Having the D4's low light capability is interesting, but not enough to warrant spending an extra $1000 over a D600 in my mind. I'm also wondering what "sins" its competitors have committed?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The sensor's even better than the D4.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon says it's the same sensor on their Df page. Whatever's giving it an edge in low light stuff on DxOMark must be elsewhere in the pipeline—unless Nikon is leaving something out about changes to the sensor for some reason.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

powderific posted:

Nikon says it's the same sensor on their Df page. Whatever's giving it an edge in low light stuff on DxOMark must be elsewhere in the pipeline—unless Nikon is leaving something out about changes to the sensor for some reason.

It's the Df Glow.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

powderific posted:

My guess is it's the how the processor builds the image and accounts for noise.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My guess is it's the how the processor builds the image and accounts for noise.

Nikon also says it's the same image processor as the D4.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Lets split hairs about 2 cameras most of you wont ever own.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lets not forget that it doesn't have a split prism either.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

NikOWND

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:drat:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Lets not forget that it doesn't have a split prism either.

You dont need a split prism to focus at f11.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My D600 is really, really good at taking pictures of sensor dust.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

You can do that with any camera with the right setup though.

I know :suicide:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

aliencowboy posted:

I sent mine off finally to get it fixed. They wanted me to pay to ship it and I was like "uh...no. This is your problem, you pay." So they sent me prepaid labels!

But the instructions I got were different from the boiler plate ones on the site (I didn't include proof of purchase which I was supposed to do because their instructions they emailed me didn't say too...but I registered the camera when I first got it so I didn't have a problem).

Also they say ZERO accessories to be included, but I didn't know if that meant battery or not. I included a battery and a note explaining the problems with the sensor plus specifically adding that I included a battery. A few days later I got an invoice from them noting what they received for me. On it read "Letter received and read" and "No battery included." :rolleyes: So of course when they mailed it back a day or two later it didn't have the battery. They ended up replacing it for free though. All is well now.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
Anybody own the 28mm 1.8? If so, your thoughts? As dumb as this might sound, I'm thinking about unloading my 24-70 2.8 because it's too drat big and heavy for a walk around and I've thought about partially replacing it with the 28 1.8. I already own a 50 1.8 so I'd be trading the size and zoom for convenience and I'd pocket some cash in the process.

So is the 28 any good?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

On FF or crop? Like most of the new primes it's pretty good, with edge coma and chromatic and spherical aberrations being the main drawbacks. The problem is really that they're selling something like that for $700.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Jimmy Thief posted:

Anybody own the 28mm 1.8? If so, your thoughts? As dumb as this might sound, I'm thinking about unloading my 24-70 2.8 because it's too drat big and heavy for a walk around and I've thought about partially replacing it with the 28 1.8. I already own a 50 1.8 so I'd be trading the size and zoom for convenience and I'd pocket some cash in the process.

So is the 28 any good?

But... but... but... the 24-70 f2.8 is the one lens to rule them all! (whatdaya want for it?)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

But... but... but... the 24-70 f2.8 is the one lens to rule them all! (whatdaya want for it?)
S/He's right that it's heavy as gently caress though. Every time I swap out my 50/1,8 I curse a little.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

S/He's right that it's heavy as gently caress though. Every time I swap out my 50/1,8 I curse a little.

Yeah, I rented one once when I was covering a friend's wedding as a favor. It's a brick, but it was the only lens I needed for the whole night. Attached to a then-newly-released D3s, I was marveling at a rig that could see in the dark better than I could.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nikon nerds everywhere, the gods smile upon you. At least 1 person at Nikon realizes using 20 year old 35/2 lenses on their new crop of FX bodies doesn't really make sense.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/16/new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-35mm-f1-8g-fx-lens-to-be-announced-in-early-january.aspx/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yaaaay. I love the poo poo out of my 35mm f2 for its teeny-ness and close focus distance, but I'd love to have the AF-S motor and some nicer optics.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

powderific posted:

Yaaaay. I love the poo poo out of my 35mm f2 for its teeny-ness and close focus distance, but I'd love to have the AF-S motor and some nicer optics.

Yeah, also it vignettes like a mofo wide open.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Nikon nerds everywhere, the gods smile upon you. At least 1 person at Nikon realizes using 20 year old 35/2 lenses on their new crop of FX bodies doesn't really make sense.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/16/new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-35mm-f1-8g-fx-lens-to-be-announced-in-early-january.aspx/

Goddamn, finally. The 35/2 has the cheap rear end feel of 90s AF-D lenses that makes you wonder how hard you have to grip to break it in your hand. Also remembering it's hood... lol.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
God loving damnit. I spent the morning shooting incredible low lying mist in the fields out behind my parent's house in the south of Ireland, wondering why my shutter speed was bouncing off 1/4000 on f/22. As soon as the mist lifted I realised I was still on iso 3200 from the night before :saddowns:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Got a 40mm f/2.8 Micro for Christmas. poo poo owns hard despite somewhat close working distance. The "fruity" thread tag, at 1:1 (MBP, hi-res-but-not-retina display).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Got a 40mm f/2.8 Micro for Christmas. poo poo owns hard despite somewhat close working distance. The "fruity" thread tag, at 1:1 (MBP, hi-res-but-not-retina display).

Its a p.good lens. Get some manual extension tubes for 12bux.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

psssh, put some tubes on that already.

Galaxy Nexus by MrDespair, on Flickr

and then mount it to a microscope :ssh:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Its a p.good lens. Get some manual extension tubes for 12bux.

Already got 6" of bellows :pcgaming:

EDIT: Although I'd probably just use a 50 or something on the bellows because lol no aperture ring

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 26, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Already got 6" of bellows :pcgaming:

EDIT: Although I'd probably just use a 50 or something on the bellows because lol no aperture ring

Just glue them fully open :colbert:

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

One of my local camera shops has a D600 that they claim was just serviced at Nikon and upgraded to D610 specs. Does that sound "normal"?

They also want $1,500 for the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

emotive posted:

One of my local camera shops has a D600 that they claim was just serviced at Nikon and upgraded to D610 specs. Does that sound "normal"?

They also want $1,500 for the body.

It looks like the major difference between the D600 and D610 is the shutter, which got a minor upgrade, so I guess it's plausible Nikon put the new shutter in while replacing it and then flashed it to modern specs. I don't see any other references to that process anywhere though.