Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

They need to put Sons of Abraham on sale. I will wait you out, fucker. I will not purchase you at full price.

Ah, that awkward moment when I can't figure out if it's just enthusiastic frugality or a really offensive joke.

But at least we're not on the Paradox forums, am I right folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

SlyFrog posted:

They need to put Sons of Abraham on sale. I will wait you out, fucker. I will not purchase you at full price.

GameStop had it on sale for $5 within a week of release. You shouldn't complain about a lack of sales if you aren't obsessively checking every e-tailer. :colbert:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Allyn posted:

You can make one really easily using the Titular Title Generator. Use the generate history option in the third tab (if memory serves).

What exactly does this mod do? Could I use it to start a game as a merchant republic as, say, the Isle of Mann?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Inside Outside posted:

What exactly does this mod do? Could I use it to start a game as a merchant republic as, say, the Isle of Mann?

It's not a mod per se, it's a program that makes a titular title mod for you -- it takes the base titles in the game, and creates titular versions of them at the levels above. So for each duchy it creates kingdom and empire titles based on them, and you can set it to create duchies/kingdoms/empire for every single county in the game (although it's a bit overkill v:shobon:v). You can use it to create, say, the Norman or Irish empire, or whatever.

It wouldn't make it any easier to do that specifically, no, unless you wanted to use a titular, fictional duchy of the Isle of Mann for it instead of using the default duchy of The Isles.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Odobenidae posted:

I find it really weird how the Sultanate of Rum never appears in any game started pre-Alexiad. I honestly forgot they were even A Thing until I started fiddling around with the start dates. Are there no events for them, or do they always get crushed?

There are no events or creation conditions for the Sultanate of Rum. If it doesn't exist at the game's start, it will never exist.

Now to start my CK2 Rum game -> EU4 Caribbean colonization :yarr:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Allyn posted:

It's not a mod per se, it's a program that makes a titular title mod for you -- it takes the base titles in the game, and creates titular versions of them at the levels above. So for each duchy it creates kingdom and empire titles based on them, and you can set it to create duchies/kingdoms/empire for every single county in the game (although it's a bit overkill v:shobon:v). You can use it to create, say, the Norman or Irish empire, or whatever.

It wouldn't make it any easier to do that specifically, no, unless you wanted to use a titular, fictional duchy of the Isle of Mann for it instead of using the default duchy of The Isles.

I think I get it. Like, in my current game I'm the king of Croatia and Hungary and I used the customizer DLC to rename my primary title Croatia-Hungary. With that program I could have defined a single custom kingdom with Croatia and Hungary as its de jure land?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No, a titular title means no de jure land. You could make a titular kingdom of Rashka, for example. It's sort of pointless if you have the custom title DLC, except that perhaps the AI will form some of those titles. And the fact that you can form multiple titles.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 24, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Odobenidae posted:

I find it really weird how the Sultanate of Rum never appears in any game started pre-Alexiad. I honestly forgot they were even A Thing until I started fiddling around with the start dates. Are there no events for them, or do they always get crushed?

Somebody was asking about this earlier. What you need is Themata Mod!
It tweaks some conditions of the Byzantine Empire, and if the 1066 Seljuq invasion succeeds then the Sultanate of Rum is created via event.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Figured there'd be plenty of map nerds here so I thought I'd post this.

Geacron

I've seen lots of things like this in the past but this is the most comprehensive I've seen. It goes back to 3000BC and covers the entire world map.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

No, a titular title means no de jure land. You could make a titular kingdom of Rashka, for example. It's sort of pointless if you have the custom title DLC, except that perhaps the AI will form some of those titles. And the fact that you can form multiple titles.

I never bought the custom title DLC, and am now intrigued. What will it let me do, exactly? Just rename existing titles in game, like changing the empire of Abyssinia to the empire of Ethiopia? Or does it allow wackier stuff like creating new empire or kingdom titles? Also, any idea how it works with the EUIV converter?

And in that subject, I've only played CK2 vanilla but I heard that the VIET mod has it's own EUIV converter. Anyone have any experience with that? Will it work with non VIET games? Any advantage over the regular converter?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

I never bought the custom title DLC, and am now intrigued. What will it let me do, exactly? Just rename existing titles in game, like changing the empire of Abyssinia to the empire of Ethiopia? Or does it allow wackier stuff like creating new empire or kingdom titles? Also, any idea how it works with the EUIV converter?

Lets you rename any title you hold, change your character's beard/hair and lets you change any dynasty's shield. Does not let you create any new titles. I don't actually know how it works with the converter, though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Assuming 'Strange' in Elder Kings means Secret Vampire, it's way, way too common. Half of Tamriel seems to have become vampires. All my children are vampires, and they keep trying to vampire me! My wife is a vampire! My neighbors are vampires, their neighbors are vampires, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Akatosh himself was a vampire. It's a vampire party, and I'm the only one horrified by it!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

grancheater posted:

There are no events or creation conditions for the Sultanate of Rum. If it doesn't exist at the game's start, it will never exist.

Now to start my CK2 Rum game -> EU4 Caribbean colonization :yarr:
I wonder what this state's relationship with the Bourbons would be. Or if they'd constantly be fighting for the independence of Champagne.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

So I started a new game (Old Gods start) as Rurik. He lived to be 89, outlived his son, amassed a poo poo pot of money, and formed the Kingdom of Rus within a decade of the start. Has this start always been this easy?

Then his grandson inherited and independance wars for everyone!. And I do mean everyone, as my kingdom seems to be the only one not imploding. Though it is not for lack of revolts, I just crush them but goddamn was Rurik a prolific bastard with 7 children and about 3 dozen grand kids.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Quirkk posted:

Figured there'd be plenty of map nerds here so I thought I'd post this.

Geacron

I've seen lots of things like this in the past but this is the most comprehensive I've seen. It goes back to 3000BC and covers the entire world map.

This is flipping awesome and you should cross post this in the ancient history thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Caufman posted:

Ah, that awkward moment when I can't figure out if it's just enthusiastic frugality or a really offensive joke.

But at least we're not on the Paradox forums, am I right folks?

How is it offensive? Why does it matter if someone doesn't want to pay full price for a DLC that's not even very good?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Raserys posted:

How is it offensive? Why does it matter if someone doesn't want to pay full price for a DLC that's not even very good?

He interpreted it as the poster trying to jew paradox out of a few sheckles.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

He interpreted it as the poster trying to jew paradox out of a few sheckles.

Which in turn, makes him the one making the racist assumption!

Either way, I feel like starting a Viking game soon, I bought Old Gods a while back and I still haven't played a Pagan game :(

e: Going back to Pope talk, I just found I CAN make him a leader of my troops, but it took a while for his name to pop up. Do certain vassals only lead a specific type of army or group? I found my Pope on the list of a flank on my fourth stack of retinues and it was weird cause I tried to make him lead my main army.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The Vikings are a bit of a breath of fresh air after you get tired of the catholic game. That was a very well done bit of dlc.

Now update the Muslims paradox! I want to take the house of the book over the Pyrenees without having to imprison all y family members.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I'm all patched up to the 2.0.1 with CK2+, but I haven't bought SoA yet. I know y'all aren't nuts about it, but if I unlock that DLC, would I still be able to continue my awesome Visigothic conquest or would I have to start over? I'm kind of interested in the catholic mechanics they've added in, even though it probably wouldn't have an effect; someone conquered Rome and turned it into a trading republic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
A few quick questions:

1) Is there any way to suggest a crusade to the Pope with SoA?
2) I've borrowed money from the Templars but there is no decision to pay it back? I'd like to. How would I do this? Donating just has the usual effects.
3) Theres a casus belli on the wiki for 'Install Antiking'. What does this mean? I've never seen it in-game.
4) I expelled the Jews with one of my old kings. I now want to welcome them back. How do I do this?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

A few quick questions:

2) I've borrowed money from the Templars but there is no decision to pay it back? I'd like to. How would I do this? Donating just has the usual effects.
3) Theres a casus belli on the wiki for 'Install Antiking'. What does this mean? I've never seen it in-game.
4) I expelled the Jews with one of my old kings. I now want to welcome them back. How do I do this?

1) No, I don't think so
2) Dunno
3) If someone sets up an antipope, you can declare an antiking war on them (possibly only via faction -- I know that's how I did it). It removes the antipope and makes the king either abdicate or just give his title to you outright (don't know which)
4) Wait until a decision pops up in the intrigue menu

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

A few quick questions:

1: Yes there is, I actually just asked him for a Crusade for Egypt, but it doesn't seem to be an option against every ruler, and I don't know if you can do this if he's not your vassal.

2: Pretty sure it's broken, I had the same problem, then when they weren't my vassals anymore I couldn't even borrow from anyone else.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm guessing the benefits of vassalizing the pope are what you'd assume, ie a bunch of tax money and a guaranteed "yes" on money/divorce/excommunication requests. Is there something else you get as well?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

The Roman Empire will expand no further, at least in this game. That was certainly fun, even it started to take forever to administrate this thing by the end.

Things I would do differently now that i've played a bit. Make sure to replace every native ruler with one of your own culture and religion. It's so annoying to look at half of my despots and see a -15 opinion modifier for "foreigner". This wasn't the case in traditionally Pagan or Islamic areas, when I took over the place in a holy war and booted everyone out to put my own guys in.

I wish this game had a "print dynasty" option

The Emperor, my husband, has decided to become celibate. I looked at his stats after this, and he's infirm. Did I break him?

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2013

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

hellsjudge posted:

1: Yes there is, I actually just asked him for a Crusade for Egypt, but it doesn't seem to be an option against every ruler, and I don't know if you can do this if he's not your vassal.

Where do you ask?

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012
^^^^^^^^^
You have to go through the guy whose land you want. I think it's the last option in the diplomacy screen.

hellsjudge posted:

2: Pretty sure it's broken, I had the same problem, then when they weren't my vassals anymore I couldn't even borrow from anyone else.

1. You can do it if he's not your vassal. In my King of Jerusalem game, I've talked him into crusades for Mauretania and Mesopotamia. If you're in the 30 year (I think) cooldown between crusades, the option won't appear, and I think you have to go through the diplomacy screen of the guy you want to crusade against.

It also makes the Pope hate you - it's a -200 malus for as long as he's Pope.

Tank Sinatra fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 24, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Nolanar posted:

I'm guessing the benefits of vassalizing the pope are what you'd assume, ie a bunch of tax money and a guaranteed "yes" on money/divorce/excommunication requests. Is there something else you get as well?

You lose a bunch of tax money actually, I've noticed my Pope doesn't get any money from bishops, only from his own vassals. However, that is a small price to pay for free claims on every Catholic duchy and everything else you said.

Plus I asked him for a Crusade for Egypt and he said yes, so there's that.

Tank Sinatra posted:

1. You can do it if he's not your vassal. In my King of Jerusalem game, I've talked him into crusades for Mauretania and Mesopotamia. If you're in the 30 year (I think) cooldown between crusades, the option won't appear, and I think you have to go through the diplomacy screen of the guy you want to crusade against.

It also makes the Pope hate you - it's a -200 malus for as long as he's Pope.

Oh okay, I didn't know there was a cooldown, I'm going to wait a few years see if I can call another Crusade.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Thanks for the answers! Oh, one other thing - I see you can donate money to the Templars and Hospitallers but only borrow from the former. Is this a bug?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks for the answers! Oh, one other thing - I see you can donate money to the Templars and Hospitallers but only borrow from the former. Is this a bug?

The Templars were effectively the world's first international bank.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I know this, but that wasn't from their immediate establishment. Also, for gameplay purposes it seems odd you can't utilise the Hospitallers in the same way.

e: Also, as far as the Templars go, I'm finding that they very rarely have the cash to allow loans anyway.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 25, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So has anyone done a Jewish Rome yet? I'm thinking I might try for that from a Norse or Scottish start. I've just double-kinged electoral Aquitaine and Aragon from a Toulouse TOG start. It already feels kinda OP and dull and my starting ruler hasn't even died yet.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

This game...my brother, from a bordering but not controlled realm, who I was plotting against to kill his daughter who had taken my spot in the line of inheritance, just took my castle in a siege against my liege, and then took my pregnant wife for his concubine.

You just don't get family troubles like that in other games.

Edit: Amusingly that's now pushed my plot power high enough to trigger the plot to kill his daughter and will follow-up with himself.

Now I assume I have to complete this before my kid pops out of my ex-wife, who is now his concubine, otherwise that brat takes my spot in the line? Or will the kid remain below me in the line of inheritance? I'm so confused.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 25, 2013

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
So, I was playing a ruler-designed game to establish Israel as a jew and succeeded. I was carefully cultivating the khazars as well, trying to keep them alive, establishing alliances, etc... and then I notice that at some point while I wasn't looking, the entire khazar dynasty, INCLUDING MY DAUGHTER, converted to sunni.

Sighing, I went to edit the save to put them back as jewish, so I'd have a realm I didn't control to ally with and marry with, etc. But when I edited all the khazars to be jewish again and loaded up the save, all the text vanished. There is no text anywhere in the game, in the ui, in the events, etc.

What did I break? How do I fix it?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

GameStop had it on sale for $5 within a week of release. You shouldn't complain about a lack of sales if you aren't obsessively checking every e-tailer. :colbert:

Well now I just need a time machine then.

I did go to GMG, but they appear to be sold out. I'll check the other site once I get back to a real computer. Thanks for the help (to they guy who mentioned the 20% discount).

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Assuming 'Strange' in Elder Kings means Secret Vampire, it's way, way too common. Half of Tamriel seems to have become vampires. All my children are vampires, and they keep trying to vampire me! My wife is a vampire! My neighbors are vampires, their neighbors are vampires, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Akatosh himself was a vampire. It's a vampire party, and I'm the only one horrified by it!

Dawnguard's going to be busy. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I just got a new computer today (yay Christmas) and I'm slowly reinstalling my Steam games. However, for some reason CKII won't show any of my DLC anymore. It says I bought them but the launcher comes up blank. It's a new computer and a fresh install of CKII (twice even because I tried to follow someone else's solution to no avail) but I can't figure out why I can't use any of my DLC.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
UGH. I started a game as a cathar duchess of Iceland, and proceeded to conquer Ir(e)land and all that fun stuff. So, I've got wales and I'm getting some of the English duchies, so I give one of them to a random courtier... who ends up being elected (as England became elective when I wasn't looking). Still Cathar. So I lose that duchy, and one of the counts he has inherited got the duchy of Munster, so now England has southern Ireland :(

I also don't want to kick him down too much because he's still making England Cathar, much more quickly than I could.

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 25, 2013

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not all 'Strange' is Secret Vampire. 3 traits appear as 'Strange':

1. strange
2. secret_vampire_trait
3. secret_werewolf_trait/secret_werebeast_trait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

JGBeagle posted:

So I just got a new computer today (yay Christmas) and I'm slowly reinstalling my Steam games. However, for some reason CKII won't show any of my DLC anymore. It says I bought them but the launcher comes up blank. It's a new computer and a fresh install of CKII (twice even because I tried to follow someone else's solution to no avail) but I can't figure out why I can't use any of my DLC.

This happened to me, and though I have a mac, so the situation might be different, I solved it by checking CK II's Properties in Steam (Right-Click it in your library and a menu will show up, Properties is at the bottom), and de-selecting 'Enable Steam Community In-Game'. Hope that works for you.

• Locked thread