Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Does the Sword and Shield proficiency apply to bucklers in BGEE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Furism posted:

Is it explicitly written that it allows bard to cast spells? Because if it isn't, I might not have tried it on the Bard. The semi-random drop systems means that's it's supposed to drop in a particular area (but not always) right? Where would that be?

It just says that mage spells can be cast while wearing it, it benefits both Fighter/Mages and Bards.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Furism posted:

Is it explicitly written that it allows bard to cast spells? Because if it isn't, I might not have tried it on the Bard. The semi-random drop systems means that's it's supposed to drop in a particular area (but not always) right? Where would that be?
Both are in the Severed Hand. You have a 1 in 3 chance of getting the Elven Chainmail of the Hand +3 in the 3rd level of the Priest's Tower and a 1 in 4 chance of getting Kaylessa's Chainmail in the warrior tower (worn by Kaylessa). If you don't get it, you can reload a game from before entering the area for the first time and try again. The game will again randomly assign an item so you should get it eventually.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ah well, I'm way past that and didn't get it. I'll keep the Bard squishy and in the back, as he should anyway.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Furism posted:

Ah well, I'm way past that and didn't get it. I'll keep the Bard squishy and in the back, as he should anyway.
If you want them, you could cheat one of them in. The item codes are ELFCHAN for the Elven Chainmail of the Hand +3 and KAYCHAI for Kaylessa's Chainmail.

Cpl. Coldone
Apr 2, 2008

Arcaeris posted:

She summoned a pit fiend on us and against a level 3 party a pit fiend is pretty tough.

She dropped a cow on every living thing on the map just south of Beregost with the Ogrillons. I thought I heard a moo and saw a cow for a split second land on the last Ogrillon then my log went crazy and my party lost half it's health. I read the log and seen hobgoblins and such killed and received xp for it. Then I got down to where the three Flaming Fists are and they were not happy and killed my level 1 and 2 party.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

THS posted:

Does the Sword and Shield proficiency apply to bucklers in BGEE?

Of course

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Is there any way to convert Dorn Il'Khan to good? Maybe if you romance him?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is there any way to convert Dorn Il'Khan to good? Maybe if you romance him?
In BG1EE, the Demonknight at the end of Durlag's Tower drops a Helm of Reverse Alignment. Slap that baby onto Dorn and he'll become good.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Factor_VIII posted:

In BG1EE, the Demonknight at the end of Durlag's Tower drops a Helm of Reverse Alignment. Slap that baby onto Dorn and he'll become good.

I was hoping more for dialog. Sort of how you can convert Viconia and Serevok via dialog.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also unless the devs worked some voodoo, BG2 Dorn is entirely different from BG1 Dorn and will return to being CE.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
For those of you waiting for BG:EE to come down in price, BG1:EE is 60% off and BG2:EE is 33% off on Steam.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Having played the poo poo out of Icewind Dale 2 and now replaying BG2EE, I am really disappointed with BG2EE. It feels like 90% of encounters include hostile mages that have Contingency: Stoneskin + Mirror Image + Protection from missiles + protection from normal weapons + some other bullshit, and all they cast are Hold, Confusion, Dominination, or Stun Spells that work on 4 or 5 of your party members each time. That or incredibly tough and hard to hit creatures that have hold and/or disease on hit, and hit with their first attack every time. I've game'd my main character's defense to -8 (negative 8 (aka really drat good)) as a Fighter wielding a two handed sword, and Vampires hit on their first swing (draining two levels each time!) Every Single Time They Attack Me. I've been such a bitch about abusing quicksave and I'm still poor as poo poo curing diseases and restoring levels, and as you can tell from this ranty post, am really losing my patience for it. And annoyed that I need to abuse quicksave rather than just playing the game.

IWD2 was so much fun and does not have any of this cheesey "difficulty".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mickey McKey posted:

Having played the poo poo out of Icewind Dale 2 and now replaying BG2EE, I am really disappointed with BG2EE. It feels like 90% of encounters include hostile mages that have Contingency: Stoneskin + Mirror Image + Protection from missiles + protection from normal weapons + some other bullshit, and all they cast are Hold, Confusion, Dominination, or Stun Spells that work on 4 or 5 of your party members each time. That or incredibly tough and hard to hit creatures that have hold and/or disease on hit, and hit with their first attack every time. I've game'd my main character's defense to -8 (negative 8 (aka really drat good)) as a Fighter wielding a two handed sword, and Vampires hit on their first swing (draining two levels each time!) Every Single Time They Attack Me. I've been such a bitch about abusing quicksave and I'm still poor as poo poo curing diseases and restoring levels, and as you can tell from this ranty post, am really losing my patience for it. And annoyed that I need to abuse quicksave rather than just playing the game.

This is how normal Baldur's Gate 2 is. IWD2 is 3rd Edition and BG2 is AD&D, BG2 is even more caster supremacy than 3rd Edition.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Learn how to use spells, basically.

Negative Plane Protection to stop level drain. Chaotic Commands to stop Confusion etc. And get some sort of dispel, breach or similar to counter mages.

What party are you running with?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

If one doesn't want to use spells, upgrading the Mace of Disruption with the Illithium Ore produces a weapon that makes you immune to level drain (as does the amulet one can get from Aran Linvail) and Lilarcor makes characters immune to Confusion.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Mickey McKey posted:

You are playing the game wrong basically. High level D&D is utterly dominated by spell casters. It's always been that way. I'm not saying you should have rolled a mage as your PC, but you for sure need a few in your party. 1 high level mage npc is mandatory and I like to have a backup half mage/bard as well. A divine caster will be helpful too.

In BG 1 the fighter rules all. A party of 6 fighters armed with bows will demolish anything in their path. That is not true in the high levels of BG2. There, mages rule everything. That means for every single encounter you have to treat the enemy mage as the single biggest threat and act accordingly. Your entire strategy needs to be based on neutralizing enemy casters ASAP. Get a mage of your own and learn the spell counters. Get some kind of scout to go ahead and identify the casters before the battle starts if possible. Sometimes you can just backstab the enemy mage to open the battle and 1 shot his rear end. AOE spells can down mages fast too. Sometimes you can open the encounter by blind casting an AOE into the room with the mage. Poison is death to a mage since taking 1dmg every 3 seconds will make them totally unable to cast spells. The insect swarm spells on the druid are great for this.

Honestly, stop trying to brute force the mages down with fighters and start using casters/traps/summons/etc instead and you will have a much better time. To me the invincible enemy mages were always the best part of BG2. I didn't find them annoying at all. I found them incredibly fun to try and counter with strategy instead of brute force.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebzilla posted:

Learn how to use spells, basically.

Negative Plane Protection to stop level drain. Chaotic Commands to stop Confusion etc. And get some sort of dispel, breach or similar to counter mages.

What party are you running with?

I will have to look into Negative Plane Protection and Chaotic Commands, then. Dispel does nothing...I have tried having three of my casters cast dispel on one of the Contingency: Protection From All and literally nothing changes.

I am running with:
Me: Pure Fighter, Human, -8 AC, Two-Handed Sword, nothing else special.
Anomen (Cleric)
Aerie (Cleric/Mage multidclass)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo
(eventually) Imoen (Mage)

I knew that spellcasters were supreme and planned my party around that (I know there are better spellcasters but I was going good and I hate dealing with NPC conflicts) which is why I made myself a good fighter, because I think it is harder to find good fighters compared to good mages (my opinion, probably wrong).

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

You are playing the game wrong basically. High level D&D is utterly dominated by spell casters. It's always been that way. I'm not saying you should have rolled a mage as your PC, but you for sure need a few in your party. 1 high level mage npc is mandatory and I like to have a backup half mage/bard as well. A divine caster will be helpful too.

In BG 1 the fighter rules all. A party of 6 fighters armed with bows will demolish anything in their path. That is not true in the high levels of BG2. There, mages rule everything. That means for every single encounter you have to treat the enemy mage as the single biggest threat and act accordingly. Your entire strategy needs to be based on neutralizing enemy casters ASAP. Get a mage of your own and learn the spell counters. Get some kind of scout to go ahead and identify the casters before the battle starts if possible. Sometimes you can just backstab the enemy mage to open the battle and 1 shot his rear end. AOE spells can down mages fast too. Sometimes you can open the encounter by blind casting an AOE into the room with the mage. Poison is death to a mage since taking 1dmg every 3 seconds will make them totally unable to cast spells. The insect swarm spells on the druid are great for this.

Honestly, stop trying to brute force the mages down with fighters and start using casters/traps/summons/etc instead and you will have a much better time. To me the invincible enemy mages were always the best part of BG2. I didn't find them annoying at all. I found them incredibly fun to try and counter with strategy instead of brute force.

I appreciate your reply but you have a really bad tone and are making a ton of assumptions about how I play. I did not describe how I was playing, I simply stated that there are issues with the "difficulty" of game simply being that tough spellcasters are everywhere that there are not tough creatures with nasty abilities. I have been using Yoshimo to backstab or scout for AoE spells, I focus the mages down first if possible, ect, but when one spell disables more than half the party if they get it off, whelp. As noted above, my party is heavy on spellcasters but when the enemy is immune and dispel does nothing.....:confused:. Hold Person/Hold Monster never does poo poo, Confusion and other spells never work on a single target. I never said I was "brute forcing" my way through; I have been finessing the poo poo out of it but I find that gameplay boring and annoying, while in IWD2 you could simply wade into most fights and deal with things as they happen; you do not have to cheese your way through using vision aggro to draw one vampire at a time or to kill all of the mage's friends while his protection spells wear off. I tried countering with the inverse spells but I never found them to be effective, hence my frustration, because I hate savescumming and being gamey to win. I do understand our opinion about fun and being gamey may vary, though. There is some good advice in your post, though, so thank you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I will have to look into Negative Plane Protection and Chaotic Commands, then. Dispel does nothing...I have tried having three of my casters cast dispel on one of the Contingency: Protection From All and literally nothing changes.

I am running with:
Anomen (Cleric)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo

I knew that spellcasters were supreme and planned my party around that (I know there are better spellcasters but I was going good and I hate dealing with NPC conflicts) which is why I made myself a good fighter, because I think it is harder to find good fighters compared to good mages (my opinion, probably wrong).

It is wrong, sadly. Pure Fighter is kind of worthless. There's basically no reason to be a pure fighter relative to other, better options. Inquisitor, Berserker, Kensai, some dual class variant of the aforementioned two, multiclass Ranger/Cleric.

There's very few options that don't do a Fighter's job better than a Fighter in BG2. High level D&D is always that way until 4E. Dispel Magic is not a cure all for your ills man, you need things like Breach, Secret Word, Pierce Magic to break through some spellcaster defenses. Notable exception being Dispel Magic in the hands of an Inquisitor.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Mickey McKey posted:

I appreciate your reply but you have a really bad tone and are making a ton of assumptions about how I play. I did not describe how I was playing, I simply stated that there are issues with the "difficulty" of game simply being that tough spellcasters are everywhere that there are not tough creatures with nasty abilities. I have been using Yoshimo to backstab or scout for AoE spells, I focus the mages down first if possible, ect, but when one spell disables more than half the party if they get it off, whelp. As noted above, my party is heavy on spellcasters but when the enemy is immune and dispel does nothing.....:confused:. Hold Person/Hold Monster never does poo poo, Confusion and other spells never work on a single target. I never said I was "brute forcing" my way through; I have been finessing the poo poo out of it but I find that gameplay boring and annoying, while in IWD2 you could simply wade into most fights and deal with things as they happen; you do not have to cheese your way through using vision aggro to draw one vampire at a time or to kill all of the mage's friends while his protection spells wear off. I tried countering with the inverse spells but I never found them to be effective, hence my frustration, because I hate savescumming and being gamey to win. I do understand our opinion about fun and being gamey may vary, though. There is some good advice in your post, though, so thank you.

It's been a while since I played so I don't really remember the names of all the spells and counters but there are plenty of ways to counter the things you describe. There is a spell (Dwanstar or something?) that can pretty much 1 shot vampires. You can negative plane protection yourself against the level drains. There are anti-undead weapons and items including at least 1 or 2 items that make you immune to level drain. Several of the summons are immune to level drain and you can use them as meat shields. I think you can even eventually turn undead on the non-unique vampires as well.

For enemy mages and spell counters you really need to read the spell descriptions. You also need to pay close attention to what exact spell protections they have up at the time by reading the info window at the bottom. A lot of the protection spells have a very specific counter to them. Again, I don't remember the names of the spells since it's been so long, but trust me, they are there. You just have to memorize how they work. If the enemy mage can't be targeted at all by a spell it probably means he is invisible. Use true seeing to counter that. True seeing should be up on every single mage fight.

Also defensive buffs are key. There are plenty of defensive spells/scrolls/potions that can counter the cheese. I think someone above mentioned chaotic commands. Pretty sure that right there lasts for hours (so you should always have it up) and it will protect you from almost all the mind effecting cheese spells like confuse and charm. Again, you just need to sit down and read the spell descriptions for everything and memorize them. I think there is another similar spell that counters all the death magic/insta kill poo poo.

Use summons like crazy too. Try not to use summon monster/animal though, as they are pretty susceptible to mage cheese like confusion and level drain. Instead, go for the more magical summons. The skeleton warriors are immune to mind spells and have high magic resistance so they can just tank mages and not have to worry too much. Elementals and golums work well too. The uh... magical sword thing that I forget the name of is pretty much invulnerable to everything. Enemy mages have limited spells and will eventually run out. Try and let the summons absorb the bulk of them.

If you are still having a terrible time just go get Keldorn on your team. Maybe drop Yoshimo or Nalia/Imoen for him. He is the ultimate mage killer. Honestly, your party might be a bit too caster heavy. I strongly suggest you fit Keldorn in there somewhere.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Another thing that works really well is abusing summoned monsters. Anomen, Aerie, Nalia, and Imoen can all learn the Animate Dead spell, and it produces a skeleton warrior that's decently tanky and can at the very least serve to distract the AI in a lot of situations. Take a stealthed Thief or one of your casters with Improved Invisibility and have them escourt four summoned skeletons towards the enemy mages - the AI will blow a lot of their spells on the summoned dudes and whether they save or not, at least they're not characters you're penalized for losing. Once the mages have fired a few rounds at the skeletons, send in the rest of the party to mop them up.

Skeleton Warriors are pretty bad rear end for fighting spell casters too because they get innate magic resistance as your caster level increases, and they're immune to a lot of annoying effects because they're undead. They're great for tanking mindflayers because they have no INT score, and you can basically keep summoning them with nothing to stop you aside from memorizable spell slots.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mickey McKey posted:

I am running with:
Anomen (Cleric)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo

With Vampires have Anomen Turn Undead to start the fight off. You may at least have them running away, which makes them less likely to hit you, and if his levels are high enough, he can even destroy undead outright before they land a single hit. He also has access to powerful buff spells like Draw Upon Holy Might and Righteous Magic that complement his Fighter levels and make him a powerhouse in melee combat. Give him the Flail of Ages if your Fighter PC isn't using it.

You've actually got a fair bit of magic, so if you want a bit more muscle, pick up the perennial favourite Keldorn the Inquisitor. He's a Paladin so he has access to powerful weapons and armor, and his special Dispel Magic acts as if cast by a mage TWICE his level, so it strips everything from everything (be warned, you'll lose your buffs too! So throw out Keldorn's dispel before you protect yourself). He could replace Nalia, since having her and Imoen is a little redundant. Everything Nalia does, Imoen does better. Nalia has some story quests, I suppose, but you can wrap those up before you head to get Imoen.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
He's still not wrong about the fact that the constant mage battles are tedious as gently caress. Sure, it's easy enough to put up all your defenses against a dozen different status effects and to cast breach and pierce magic, but it does make the pacing of the game really lovely sometimes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you don't enjoy the magic meta-game, swarms of summons or buffing the crap out of the party are the other viable alternatives.

For summoning, Animate dead, level 3 summon monster and animal, call woodland beings, summon efreeti/djinn, etc. Cast haste on them for extra fun. The demon summons are also great as they have magic resistance and immunity to normal weapons. Just make sure you cast protection from evil radius 10 on your party first, the demons WILL target anything friendly that isn't protected. Elementals are good but highly situational and the long casting time plus the chance they will turn on you makes them a dangerous choice once combat has started.

As for buffs, Chaotic Commands protercts against most stuns/charms and Negative Plane Protection stops level drain (it has a very short duration though, watch out). Other buffs you want to be using in every difficult battle are Haste (extra attack, improved saves and AC), Improved Invisibility (character CANNOT BE TARGETED by single target spells as well as extra saves and AC), Protection From Evil Radius 10 (Saves and AC) and Chant (Saves and AC, do you see a pattern here?)

Oh yeah, and cast True Sight if you think there's even a chance of there being a rogue or mage around.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 24, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I disagree that a mage is necessary. In my latest playthrough I had no mages in the party and was able to deal with mages either through Keldorn's Dispel Magic or through traps. Mobbing an enemy mage with your fighters works fine if you have an Inquisitor ready to drop a dispel on him, since the mage will get chunked in seconds (having the Inquisitor use True Sight also helps).

But I agree that enemy mages are the high priority targets and should be neutralized first.

Mickey McKey posted:

Anomen (Cleric)
Here's your solution to undead such as vampires. Just have Anomen use Turn Undead and most undead creatures will simply explode. For added fun, have him cast Sanctuary first, then send him into areas with undead.

In chapter 6 I had just sent Anomen under a Sanctuary into the vampire lair and every vampire he ran into (except Bodhi) exploded on sight.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mickey McKey posted:

I am running with:
Anomen (Cleric)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo

One of the problems with Dispel Magic is that it had a percentage chance for success modified by the difference between the caster's level and the level of the caster of the magic to be dispelled. Most of the mages in BG2 will have a higher level than the PC's party when encountered, so dispel magic cannot be relied upon in most situations.

If you are going with a good-aligned party, have you considered using Keldorn? His innate class abilities include an instant casting speed Dispel that casts at 2x his level, which means that it will work against 90% of the mages in BG2 right from the start, and possibly 100% of them if you keep him leveled with your party.

Another thing to note is that you seem to be having problems with combat protections. Luckily there is a spell tailor-made to take those out: Breach. Find more info here. Breach will dispel all combat and specific protections regardless of level (including all of the protections you mentioned in your first example). Spell Protections do not protect against it. They only way enemy mages can stop you from using Breach on them is to be invisible, and invisibility can be brought down with True Seeing (Level 6 Mage Spell and Level 5 Priest Spell).

So in vanilla BG2EE, enemy mage tactics are:

1. Be protected from disabling spells.
2. Cast True Seeing.
3. Cast Breach.
4. Hit them with a big stick.

edit: beaten on Keldorn.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
On the plus side, you can still find a lot of interesting monsters with nasty abilities. Mind Flayers and Beholders and Dragons will all provide different challenges from the same old mage battles that do wear thin after awhile.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I really have an itch to replay baldurs gate.

I have the old games would it be worth it to just buy BGEE? If so is there a dec1ent mod that lets me remove the level cap (i dont care if its unbalanced).

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mickey McKey posted:

I am running with:
Anomen (Cleric)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo

Relying on Dispel Magic is usually very bad, cause did you even read the spell description?

quote:

Base chance is 50%. For every level caster of dispel magic is above caster of dispelled, spell chance increases by 5%. For every level below, drops by 10%. There is always at least 1% chance of failure or success.
This part, in particular. Unless cast by an Inquisitor or your caster is several levels above the target, you're at the mercy of RNG. It also dispels your self buffs if any of your dudes get caught in it. Plus, Contingencies and Spell Triggers can't be prevented from going off, except in very rare instances.

If you want a fighter-type to tank, you either need to know the game well enough to get AC into the -15 to -20 range (for BG2, -24 for ToB), use a fighter/druid or ranger/cleric or berserker/cleric, roll a Dwarven Defender and stack physical resist, or go Blade and Defensive Spin it up (more of an experienced player thing). The protective self-buffs that druids and clerics get go a long way to making a fighter a better tank.

steakmancer posted:

Isn't Remove Magic the same thing except it doesn't hit your characters?
Yep.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 24, 2013

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Isn't Remove Magic the same thing except it doesn't hit your characters?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Whenever I use turn undead with a cleric it shuts off right away and does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Whenever I use turn undead with a cleric it shuts off right away and does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

You're using an AI script, basically. If there's a cleric script that has the cleric turning, you need to use that; otherwise, you need to kill the cleric's AI when turning or the cleric will start doing something else, thus ending the turning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Happy 15th anniversary of the BG1 release. (Well it came out on the 21st, but back the, day & date was pretty much unheard of. The EB in the mall got it on the 24th and I braved the Holiday traffic to pick it up.)

I really wish that they had a Heart of Winter mode for BG1. It'd be fun starting a L9 char or so in CandleKeep.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Factor_VIII posted:

I disagree that a mage is necessary. In my latest playthrough I had no mages in the party and was able to deal with mages either through Keldorn's Dispel Magic or through traps. Mobbing an enemy mage with your fighters works fine if you have an Inquisitor ready to drop a dispel on him, since the mage will get chunked in seconds (having the Inquisitor use True Sight also helps).

Well technically no class is "necessary" since it's totally possible to solo the game with any of the classes. Having no mage in the party just makes things much harder.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Are protection items bugged in IWD2 or something? Neither my Cloaks nor Amulets of Protection add to AC that I can see, tried stripping all my characters and none of them gain any AC from putting them on. My only mod is the bonus merchant one, too. Well, and the tweak pack, can't see anything potentially related in the readme though.

E: Weapons with + to AC don't seem to be doing anything either. How annoying.

Anyone know? I thought I might have missed something regarding AC stacking and passive AC bonuses (Dodge and the like) but the Cloak of Protection says it gives +1 Deflection AC, and my druid has zero Deflection when stripped according to the information tab, and still gets no extra AC from the cloak. And from what I understand, different types of AC should stack, right? All she has is 2 generic without any other equipment. Is it a weird issue with stacking AC in the game, a bugged item (well, itemS since Amulets of Protection, and that blunt weapon (mace?) which gives +1 AC, also have no effect), or what?

E: Unrelated, but is the Umber Hulk Plate (restored unimplemented armor from the Ease-of-Use mod) bugged/has a wrong description? The item info says it should give the same AC boost as the 1/4th weight beetle armors, but it gives 1 less (I believe it gives no Dex). Because man, I installed that part mainly because there are gently caress-all good heavy armors in this game, but so far I've gotten a good (amazing for when you can get it) Chainmail in the Mail of Life, an amazing Leather Armor in the Black Dragon Scales, and zero good Plate Armors, given the Umber Hulk Plate would be mediocre even if it worked as advertised.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 25, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Unfortunately rebuffing is definitely one aspect of these games that makes fighting battles tedious from time to time. Every encounter with a bullshit attack (mindflayers, confusion, charm) has a counter but you do need to recast these pretty often and sometimes you just use characters who are buffed or wearing immunity items or more likely to save and haste them and hope they get in a good crit.

Generally speaking with mages I try to destroy them before they have a chance to cast a spell. Usually you can get rid of their contingencies with a spell thrust/secret word and hopefully interrupt any casted spells afterwards. Also for some reason Keldorn's dispel seems to work on things that the actual dispel spell does not work on, it's pretty OP. Keldorn is probably better at helping the party kill wizards than any other non-wizard NPC in the game.

Also if you have a druid in your party and can land one of the spells that summons insects on a mage it's effective and absolutely hilarious.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 25, 2013

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

SheepNameKiller posted:

Generally speaking with mages I try to destroy them before they have a chance to cast a spell. Usually you can get rid of their contingencies with a spell thrust/secret word and hopefully interrupt any casted spells afterwards. Also for some reason Keldorn's dispel seems to work on things that the actual dispel spell does not work on, it's pretty OP. Keldorn is probably better at helping the party kill wizards than any other non-wizard NPC in the game.

The spell protections that give immunities to spells of levels 1 to X don't include level 0 spells, which is what spell level the Inquisitor dispel is. Also bypasses Lich/Demilich spell level immunities. Various fixpacks nerf Inquisitor Dispel by either giving it a real spell level, or reducing the caster level modifier downwards to 1.5 or so.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 25, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, thank you for all the feedback gentlegoons. I was pretty sure of myself with what I was doing but apparently I am pretty wrong about a few things. Having played 3rd Ed (and most recently played Icewind 2, which runs 3e) I kinda glazed over that a lot of poo poo is different, including tactics that work just fine in IWD2. I think I have the right idea with a lot of tactics and whatnot, but I did not read the spell descriptions thoroughly enough (as pointed out by a number of you); I have sold things like Spell Thrust and what not because at a glance they did not seem like real winners, and I did not realize that Dispel only has a % chance of working (I think my confirmation bias tells me that "well Dispel works 100% against me so it should do the same to them!").

One thing I really enjoyed about IWD2 was that you get to make 100% of your party. I would have 3 people with good sneaking skills (Rogue, Fighter with a few Rogue levels, and a Monk) for sneaking/scouting in force/group backstabbing events plus 3 badass spellcasters (1 Cleric and 2 Sorcerers). They would all have skill in some sort of ranged weapon, too. It made the vast majority of the situations in the game do-able without too much headache. But then again IWD2 doesnt have Contingency: Protect From All wizards around every corner and wizards/shamans/witchdocters/whatever that all cast very effective Hold Person/Confusion/ect spells sprinkled about everywhere.

tl;dr thanks for all the advice :shobon: I feel like a scrub now.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mickey McKey posted:

One thing I really enjoyed about IWD2 was that you get to make 100% of your party.

You can totally do this in BG2, actually. You just have to start a multiplayer game instead of a normal one. I think there's even a loading screen tip about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Corvinus posted:

The spell protections that give immunities to spells of levels 1 to X don't include level 0 spells, which is what spell level the Inquisitor dispel is. Also bypasses Lich/Demilich spell level immunities. Various fixpacks nerf Inquisitor Dispel by either giving it a real spell level, or reducing the caster level modifier downwards to 1.5 or so.

I will never understand mods that treat game balance in AD&MotherfuckingD as anything but the most lost of lost causes.