Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone else been having issues lately with the "automatically set date and time" thing screwing up? My phone, my wife's phone, and my friend's phone screwed up the dates and times out of nowhere (my friend is also Verizon, but he has an Android phone). If I were relying on my phone as an alarm clock I'd be screwed.

So we all changed our phones to no longer automatically set the time (how often do I change time zones anyway) but the weirdest thing is, a day later, it happened to my wife's iPhone again (5S) and when I checked her settings, it was still set to "off" (so the time was not automatically taken from cell towers). How the hell is that possible?

Not only was it the wrong timezone, but it said it was Jan 6 2014. What the hell is going on? This could really screw her over with reminders/appointments, and I can't believe it can still happen even with the automatic time setting turned off. On my phone, and my friend's, the issue did not come back since turning the setting off.

There's a 47 page thread about it on Apple's forums, but no one seems to have found a concrete fix, and I am still amazed it can manage to put itself 11 days and 5 hours into the future even if it has trouble keeping the time. You'd think it would be behind, if anything.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oh wow, apparently the Maxx comes with 6 months free of Google Play All Access, too.

So:

- $50 ISIS credit.
- 2 years free Google Drive 50GB.
- 6 months Google Play All Access.

That's like $130 worth of freebies at least from a $449.99 off contract phone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My MAXX updated to Kitkat and I have not had any issues at all. Battery life seems just as good, and the only thing I dislike is the blue carrier icons where all other notifications are white. I actually gave a favorable review on the survey, but I feel bad for all the people that got bricked.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kensei posted:

My MAXX updated to Kitkat and I have not had any issues at all. Battery life seems just as good, and the only thing I dislike is the blue carrier icons where all other notifications are white. I actually gave a favorable review on the survey, but I feel bad for all the people that got bricked.

I never got the survey.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I never got the survey.

Neither have I. They usually don't send the surveys out until the soak closes and it hasn't yet.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Neither have I. They usually don't send the surveys out until the soak closes and it hasn't yet.

I got mine a couple days ago.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

big mean giraffe posted:

I got mine a couple days ago.

I got mine on the 22nd as well.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

This certainly seems to indicate that the soak test was short-to-nonexistent. Maybe they've halted the rollout because of all the bricked phones, but it's obvious they went to a general rollout very soon after the soak test was supposed to begin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All of the previous ones I've participated in had the private forum close before any surveys were sent out. Right now, the forum is still open and accepting feedback. So, it's odd that they sent some surveys out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
where can I find out about service outages? Verizon's website isn't making it easy for me to find. All day my phone has been cycling through No Service, attempting to find a tower, thinking it's found a tower, going back to no service ... really did a number on my battery until I gave it up and flipped it into airplane to actually let it charge back up.

This has been going on for at least 10 hours, now.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psion posted:

where can I find out about service outages? Verizon's website isn't making it easy for me to find. All day my phone has been cycling through No Service, attempting to find a tower, thinking it's found a tower, going back to no service ... really did a number on my battery until I gave it up and flipped it into airplane to actually let it charge back up.

This has been going on for at least 10 hours, now.

You can call customer service and ask them. I don't know any way to check online, but I could be ignorant.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I swear, these companies do it on purpose. My phone company wants me to call them when there's an outage, just like my internet company has an outage map on their website. Did they forget to think this through?

thankfully it seems to be localized - heard from other people on VZW in my city are fine at least. I'll just go over to their place :v:

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
My wife has the Droid Ultra and got the official upgrade to Kit Kat. It was fine for a couple days, but tonight her phone is just incessantly restarting itself.

Not a lot of reports of trouble that I can see online yet. Wondering if this is a temporary thing or if it's more of a "hard reset" type of issue.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
The vibrate motor on my (8-month old TEC refurb) Bionic just died; I'm still paying for insurance, what are the odds they'll fight me on trying to get another replacement? I'm eligible for an upgrade, so would it be better to play the hardware shell game with another line on the family plan to keep unlimited data?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

redstormpopcorn posted:

The vibrate motor on my (8-month old TEC refurb) Bionic just died; I'm still paying for insurance, what are the odds they'll fight me on trying to get another replacement? I'm eligible for an upgrade, so would it be better to play the hardware shell game with another line on the family plan to keep unlimited data?

You can file two claims within a 12 month period, should be no issue.

As for data, do you ever use more than 6GB? If not, it's not really worth it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I'm on the latest update for my s4. Never rooted. In the last few days my battery life had been pretty bad. Barely making it through the day with the same use as normal. I would rarely be below 30 percent at the end of the night before. Is there a way to roll back an update.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

redstormpopcorn posted:

As long as the device is not damaged call Verizon and tell them your device no longer vibrates. They will send you another refurb.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Is there an app I can use to wifi tether without root with a Moto X? I tried FoxFi, but it doesn't seem to work.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

What is it saying when you try to use it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

What is it saying when you try to use it?

If I remember right FoxFi stopped working with 4.4.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Oh, that's rough.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I didn't think I had a mobile hotspot plan, but apparently I do, because I just tried turning on the hotspot on my Droid Mini. It said "Checking subscription status" and turned on fine.

What's happening here? Is this going to be a per gb charge, or does it just roll into my same data plan that I have?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
It goes to checking subscription status then fails. It's on a tiered data line (not share everything) which I thought was allowed to tether without paying extra for mobile hotspot, but I could be mistaken.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

hoobajoo posted:

You can file two claims within a 12 month period, should be no issue.

As for data, do you ever use more than 6GB? If not, it's not really worth it.

I don't typically use more than ~5GB/month, but when I do it's usually a looooot more; over Thanksgiving weekend alone I pulled down 14GB of software updates reinstalling stuff on my mom's laptop since her cable install was delayed.

EbolaIvory posted:

As long as the device is not damaged call Verizon and tell them your device no longer vibrates. They will send you another refurb.

Thanks guys, I'll drop by a VZW store after work; typing vibration randomly worked for about a five-minute span yesterday but I haven't been able to replicate that. The motor itself is PCB-mounted so I guess it's probably a bad solder joint or something.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Twain of Pain posted:

I guess I'll try it with telesales, because apparently you can't use the vouchers to purchase the bamboo ones. Thanks though

Did this work for you? I'm in the same boat you are but I don't want to have to spend an afternoon on the phone with Verizon if it's not going to work in the first place.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

the posted:

So, I didn't think I had a mobile hotspot plan, but apparently I do, because I just tried turning on the hotspot on my Droid Mini. It said "Checking subscription status" and turned on fine.

What's happening here? Is this going to be a per gb charge, or does it just roll into my same data plan that I have?
If you're on a Family Share plan, hotspot is included and use goes towards your all-inclusive data bucket.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This may be another dumbass question:
If I upgrade a line in an Apple Store for a Sprint account, am I correct that the phone in question, when presented to me, isn't assigned to a carrier? Could I simply say 'hey, I want to upgrade this line (on Sprint)' pick up the phone, NOT activate it on Sprint, fire it up and choose Verizon or am I missing something?

I ask because, I know a couple of warranty replacements I've been able to choose the carrier upon startup.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
FoxFi absolutely does work, but needs to be updated through PDANet. You launch PDANet, then select the wireless option which in turn launches FoxFi. Enable it from there & you're good to go. I've used FoxFi for a few years now with absolutely zero problems unless Verizon's network is down for some reason.

dxt posted:

It goes to checking subscription status then fails. It's on a tiered data line (not share everything) which I thought was allowed to tether without paying extra for mobile hotspot, but I could be mistaken.

Send the devs an e-mail. I had my credentials get screwed up a couple of times between major updates and they sorted things out for me.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

iostream.h posted:

This may be another dumbass question:
If I upgrade a line in an Apple Store for a Sprint account, am I correct that the phone in question, when presented to me, isn't assigned to a carrier? Could I simply say 'hey, I want to upgrade this line (on Sprint)' pick up the phone, NOT activate it on Sprint, fire it up and choose Verizon or am I missing something?

I ask because, I know a couple of warranty replacements I've been able to choose the carrier upon startup.

Verizon has a list of approved devices, so it likely won't work, as the device's ID won't populate in Verizon's systems.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also, when you bought the phone using a Sprint upgrade it'd still get SIM locked to Sprint, so you wouldn't get very far with it anyway.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Well hell, I was really hoping it'd be like getting a replacement where you choose the carrier at startup.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I tried to call today to transfer the upgrade on my unlimited line to my wife's 2GB line and was told that even if we activate the phone on her line, I'm going to lose my unlimited data. Is this true and if not, what secret magic words do I need to say to get them to do the needful?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

iostream.h posted:

Well hell, I was really hoping it'd be like getting a replacement where you choose the carrier at startup.

Switch to a gsm carrier and buy your phones unlocked outright.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nask26 posted:

Is their a Verizon acknowledged issue with data on a 5s? My dad switched from AT&T to Verizon on launch day and has gone over significantly the last few months. They are saying hes used almost 8gb this month. He had 2gb on AT&T and never once went over. He doesn't watch YouTube or Facebook or anything like that, I think he has like 2 apps installed. He's going to call them today and ask but I have a feeling they are going to give him the run around.

This is the stuff I was talking about earlier and is one of the primary reasons I haven't went to a 5S with Verizon yet. Have you had any luck in figuring this out Nask?

A few of the things I've been told:
1. Check app background data use settings - apps are allowed to talk to the internet when you aren't using them, and that could potentially suck up a TON of data
2. If your dad has the Podcasts app, make sure "automatic downloads" are set to OFF

If I go to a Verizon store and get a iPhone 5S, is there a grace period in which I can return it and switch back to my old phone or a non-smartphone plan if I run into one of these "my iPhone is using gigs of data a day" horror stories that I'm unable to fix?

I also called Verizon to ask about the issue with my iPad, never heard back from them. So that sours things as well. I was really disappointed with the service I got on the prepaid support line, I really felt treated like I was a third-class Verizon customer. (First two calls were awful, third call was much better and the lady said the first two were going down the wrong path - she said she sent my issue to a different department who would contact me but they never did.) Even if they were unable or having difficulties with this, or it was simply a recent change to the system and the way the data metering worked, getting some kind of call back would have been appreciated. I'll pay a premium for good service, but I think the prepaid department really jerked me around.

But I don't get dropped calls and the people spoke English if that's any consolation. :shobon:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 28, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Three-Phase posted:

I really felt treated like I was a third-class Verizon customer.

Because you are if you're on prepaid.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

If I go to a Verizon store and get a iPhone 5S, is there a grace period in which I can return it and switch back to my old phone or a non-smartphone plan if I run into one of these "my iPhone is using gigs of data a day" horror stories that I'm unable to fix?

I also called Verizon to ask about the issue with my iPad, never heard back from them. So that sours things as well. I was really disappointed with the service I got on the prepaid support line, I really felt treated like I was a third-class Verizon customer. (First two calls were awful, third call was much better and the lady said the first two were going down the wrong path - she said she sent my issue to a different department who would contact me but they never did.) Even if they were unable or having difficulties with this, or it was simply a recent change to the system and the way the data metering worked, getting some kind of call back would have been appreciated. I'll pay a premium for good service, but I think the prepaid department really jerked me around.

But I don't get dropped calls and the people spoke English if that's any consolation. :shobon:

All sales have a 14 day return window, no questions, as long as the phone isn't damaged.

As to the reps, every company has good reps and bad ones, but tech does seem especially bad about following up. The prepaid customer care is also way smaller and has less support channels, so that's not great either.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

big mean giraffe posted:

Because you are if you're on prepaid.

Figures. The iPad is prepaid, the phone is post-paid.

The other thing is this - I am seeing plans listed that are about $90 a month (I think $50 for phone/texts and $40 for data) but how many additional fees/taxes are tacked on? I'd like to get a feel for the actual bill before I jump into this so I don't end up with a $120/month bill when I was advertised $90/month.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 28, 2013

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

The Human Cow posted:

I tried to call today to transfer the upgrade on my unlimited line to my wife's 2GB line and was told that even if we activate the phone on her line, I'm going to lose my unlimited data. Is this true and if not, what secret magic words do I need to say to get them to do the needful?

The trick to this process is to never, ever talk to a human being who works for, represents, or is otherwise compensated in some part by Verizon.

You must do the upgrade transfer (donor account to reciever account) completely online. Then when the phone arrives you activate the phone on the 2GB line. Unlimited line will have its data untouched, but will have its upgrade date pushed back.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

ProjektorBoy posted:

The trick to this process is to never, ever talk to a human being who works for, represents, or is otherwise compensated in some part by Verizon.

You must do the upgrade transfer (donor account to reciever account) completely online. Then when the phone arrives you activate the phone on the 2GB line. Unlimited line will have its data untouched, but will have its upgrade date pushed back.

I tried that, but the Moto Maker website seems to ignore the transferred upgrade and prompts me to upgrade the unlimited line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Human Cow posted:

I tried that, but the Moto Maker website seems to ignore the transferred upgrade and prompts me to upgrade the unlimited line.
I'm not sure if this still works, but the previous work around is getting an moto maker key from care/in-store. Moto maker does not recognize alternate upgrades.

• Locked thread