Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Roundboy posted:

... and also for bricking phones since that is a non-zero option according to the internet, and its probably delaying my rollout :/

and i forgot my wallet today. I would have loved to have paid using my phone like i live in the future (or tried to, then awkwardly stare at the cashier as it doesnt work and i have no other form of payment.)

I forgot my wallet when heading to the grocery store a few weeks ago. Ever since then, I pretty much pay exclusively with my phone there. The cashiers tend to enter into some sort of transfixed state, like they've just seen the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think something is wrong. My Nexus 5 battery life is occasionally complete poo poo. This is 1hr of screen on time. I forgot my phone at home the other day and it died in 6 hours with a few minutes of screen on time.

I sometimes get good life (good being 12 hours) and I used to get very good life (16+). I can't figure out what has changed.

I really dislike that the only advice I find online is "turn off location services" when I know that this is software loving up. Others use location services without these issues and I've seen it personally on this phone.

Top wakelocks are:

NlpCollectorWakeLock (Google Play services): 17 m 51 s (1071 s) Count:380 15.1%
Checkin Service (Google Play services): 17 m 49 s (1069 s) Count:8594 15.0%
ConnectivityService (0): 17 m 35 s (1055 s) Count:1483 14.8%
GCM_CONN (Google Play services): 9 m 4 s (544 s) Count:6425 7.6%
AlarmManager (com.facebook.katana.Facebook): 8 m 37 s (517 s) Count:4545 7.3%
AudioMix (0): 7 m 1 s (421 s) Count:333 5.9%
GCM_CONN_ALARM (Google Play services): 6 m 57 s (417 s) Count:2405 5.9%
GpsLocationProvider (0): 6 m 5 s (365 s) Count:7785 5.1%
Genie (com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget.News & Weather): 5 m 42 s (342 s) Count:12 4.8%
NlpWakeLock (Google Play services): 3 m 16 s (196 s) Count:1547 2.8%

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

RVProfootballer posted:

Can't see someone's rap sheet, searching for someone's posts in a thread doesn't seem to work (or is that just me?), and posting a thread. But yeah, for actually reading the forums, Awful owns.

In addition, it doesn't load threads/the forum index as reliably as the iOS Awful does.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

I think something is wrong. My Nexus 5 battery life is occasionally complete poo poo. This is 1hr of screen on time. I forgot my phone at home the other day and it died in 6 hours with a few minutes of screen on time.

I sometimes get good life (good being 12 hours) and I used to get very good life (16+). I can't figure out what has changed.

I really dislike that the only advice I find online is "turn off location services" when I know that this is software loving up. Others use location services without these issues and I've seen it personally on this phone.

Top wakelocks are:

Genie (com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget.News & Weather): 5 m 42 s (342 s) Count:12 4.8%

That top one is location services based, sometimes they're buggy and turning them off is your only option.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Top wakelocks are:

I notice your clock is in the middle of your status bar. Are you rooted by any chance? If so, I would recommend reflashing your phone with the software that is meant to be used on it. Here's a link: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

RZA Encryption posted:

I notice your clock is in the middle of your status bar. Are you rooted by any chance? If so, I would recommend reflashing your phone with the software that is meant to be used on it. Here's a link: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

These problems existed for me before I installed any of the intrusive root apps. Until last week, I was only using root for Titanium Backup and BBS.

Edit: it will probably come to a reflash and restore apps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ixian posted:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

I'm not sure why anyone would visit the forums on anything BUT the app, but I'm sure there's some "obscure thing "x" I want to do isn't in the app" reason.
From what I can tell there's no userCP to easily see my bookmarked threads.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I have one of those $150 off a Moto X coupons from the Today Show promo and I've decided I'm not going to use it. PM me if you'd like it, it expires tomorrow at midnight Eastern time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ilkhan posted:

From what I can tell there's no userCP to easily see my bookmarked threads.

There's a button to see all your bookmarked threads on the Android app. Like it's right on the top left when you log in.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Skeezy posted:

There's a button to see all your bookmarked threads on the Android app. Like it's right on the top left when you log in.

The bookmarks are cleverly hidden behind the button marked "bookmarks" or the little bookmark icon!

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Nihiliste posted:

Where did you take that photo, out of curiosity?

That's the Mitchell library in Glasgow. In in the hotel opposite just now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Parker Lewis posted:

I have one of those $150 off a Moto X coupons from the Today Show promo and I've decided I'm not going to use it. PM me if you'd like it, it expires tomorrow at midnight Eastern time.

I think this time around, you must order the phone using the same email address as the one that was used to request the coupon code.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

The bookmarks are cleverly hidden behind the button marked "bookmarks" or the little bookmark icon!

You can also create a shortcut on the launcher directly to it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shannow posted:

They really need to sort out the low light underexposure thing on the N5 photosphere mode. For reference

Normal Camera

Photosphere camera

The fact that your photosphere isn't a photosmear is a god drat miracle. I think you may be asking too much of a pinhole camera mounted to a tiny battery.
Think about that, you're taking a still photo, at night, while moving the camera. What normally happens?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Hadlock posted:

The fact that your photosphere isn't a photosmear is a god drat miracle. I think you may be asking too much of a pinhole camera mounted to a tiny battery.
Think about that, you're taking a still photo, at night, while moving the camera. What normally happens?

It would previously expose properly like the individual shot. It's an issue that comes up in a Google search, it's just frustrating that they haven't fixed it yet.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I don't post in these threads often enough to know if this is 'known' or not, but I have asked this very question in the past, and now I have the answer.

Is there a way to assign a different ringtone/caller ID/some way of distinguishing when someone is calling your cell phone number versus your Google Voice number (assuming you have GV forwarded to your cell number)?

The short answer is "No, you pretty much can't."

However, I've discovered a work-around.

First of all, if one of your contacts is calling you, then you probably know which number they're dialing based on who it is that's calling you. The problem is when it's a number that isn't saved in your contacts. On my Google Voice, I have it setup so that I must press #1 to answer such calls. When an unknown number calls my cell phone number, there is no prompt asking me to press #1.

Therefore, to determine whether an unknown number is calling your cell phone number or your GV number, activate this feature in your GV settings. Then, when you answer a call, give it 1 second before you say "Hello?" to see whether you're prompted to press #1 or not. Then you know which number the person has called.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Shannow posted:

They really need to sort out the low light underexposure thing on the N5 photosphere mode. For reference

Normal Camera

Photosphere camera

That is some loving AWFUL ghosting in the top half of the top image. That HDR processing sucks.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

SeaborneClink posted:

That is some loving AWFUL ghosting in the top half of the top image. That HDR processing sucks.

That may be the reflections within the glass, unless I'm missing what you are referring to.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SeaborneClink posted:

Those are just reflections in the window glass in front of the camera.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ragaduffin posted:

That may be the reflections within the glass, unless I'm missing what you are referring to.

grack posted:

Those are just reflections in the window glass in front of the camera.

That makes much more sense, considering the large white blob to the left.

:suicide:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Ashex posted:

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but the Nexus 5 has issues with DFS channels on 5Ghz WiFi. Had to track down a bug report to figure this out. Setting the band to anything under 52 will work.

Turns out this effects more than the N5. After changing the Band even my S2 can connect to the 5Ghz network.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Shannow posted:

That's the Mitchell library in Glasgow. In in the hotel opposite just now.

Ah! Figured that had to be European, at least.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Hey, I was really looking close at the Moto G (due to the fact that it's super cheap) and I was wondering if anybody here has the phone or knows anybody with it. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd be ok with ditching 4G if I got off of Sprint's horrific network, and I'm almost always on wifi anyway. I just didn't know if there were any goons that could give me a point in the right direction as far as this phone is concerned.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The theoretical speed of LTE is much higher than HSPA+ but I doubt you'll reach the maximum of either type.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey, I was really looking close at the Moto G (due to the fact that it's super cheap) and I was wondering if anybody here has the phone or knows anybody with it. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd be ok with ditching 4G if I got off of Sprint's horrific network, and I'm almost always on wifi anyway. I just didn't know if there were any goons that could give me a point in the right direction as far as this phone is concerned.

I just recently switched from Sprint, who has LTE where I'm at, to T-mobile. I have a Nexus 5, but I bought my mom a Moto G. I would take T-mo HSDPA+ over Sprint LTE any day. However unless you are seriously strapped for cash I would say it's still worth spending a little more and getting a Nexus 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stumpalitious posted:

It depends on to whom you're moving. If you're moving to T-Mobile you won't miss Sprint's LTE at all though you may miss their coverage. If you're moving to AT&T you won't see T-Mobile speeds but you won't have to worry about coverage and it will never get as slow as Sprint could.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stumpalitious posted:

Well in terms of internet speeds the Moto G will work just as well as any other non-LTE phone, so that isn't really a thing that is specific to that device.

In terms of the phone itself, I know a couple of people who bought a G and they are both really happy with it.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

LastInLine posted:

It depends on to whom you're moving. If you're moving to T-Mobile you won't miss Sprint's LTE at all though you may miss their coverage. If you're moving to AT&T you won't see T-Mobile speeds but you won't have to worry about coverage and it will never get as slow as Sprint could.

I have a Sprint WiMAX phone, so I'm pretty sure literally anything would be a massive improvement as far as data connectivity goes.

Edit: Like, the drat thing even hates staying connected to WiFi, and this is my second phone that has had this issue (Sprint's Epic 4G Touch, to be specific).

buttchugging adderall fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 24, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stumpalitious posted:

I have a Sprint WiMAX phone, so I'm pretty sure literally anything would be a massive improvement as far as data connectivity goes.
Oh yeah, even AT&T HSPA will be preferable to WiMAX. You'll be fine without LTE.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Stumpalitious posted:

Edit: Like, the drat thing even hates staying connected to WiFi, and this is my second phone that has had this issue (Sprint's Epic 4G Touch, to be specific).

Do you have HT40 (channel bonding or 40Mhz Channels) enabled on your wireless router?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Lowen SoDium posted:

Do you have HT40 (channel bonding or 40Mhz Channels) enabled on your wireless router?

I don't quite know but it's happening on a ton of routers that I connect to, I can check that setting when I get home and I'll let you know how it works. Usually there's not too much of an issue with my home WiFi though, it's a huge issue when I'm out. I'm getting a new phone soon (probably the Moto G) so I don't care too much anymore.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

big mean giraffe posted:

That top one is location services based, sometimes they're buggy and turning them off is your only option.

So I did actually disable location services and battery life did improve greatly, Android System still beats out everything else 9 hours in with an hour of screen time. I really want to get to the bottom of location services though, since I like the usefulness of them, but going from 9 hours and 60% remaining to dead in 6 hours is unreasonable.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

So I did actually disable location services and battery life did improve greatly, Android System still beats out everything else 9 hours in with an hour of screen time. I really want to get to the bottom of location services though, since I like the usefulness of them, but going from 9 hours and 60% remaining to dead in 6 hours is unreasonable.

Welcome to Android.

take the red pill
Dec 12, 2013

by T. Finninho
Now that decent smartphones can be had for reasonable prices sans contract, I'm considering finally getting a smartphone.

I'm divided between the Nexus 5 and the Moto G. Are the features and capabilities of the former worth it being double the price of the latter?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you care about the camera and having fast 4g speed? if so then yes it's worth it.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 25, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

take the red pill posted:

Now that decent smartphones can be had for reasonable prices sans contract, I'm considering finally getting a smartphone.

I'm divided between the Nexus 5 and the Moto G. Are the features and capabilities of the former worth it being double the price of the latter?
Yes.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have a generic Note 3 glass screen protector I bought for like $10 a week ago (actually, I think it's a re-badged Explosive Glass Protector) which is all fine except that it doesn't cover the top part completely and still has fingerprints and smudges. The Spigen Glass TR's arrived yesterday for $49 (adjusted for inflation) so question is, is it worth the upgrade? I'm particularly bothered by the fingerprints/smudges so if the Spigen's can help solve that, I'd jump on it quick. If not, I don't think the smooth gliding touch and better cutouts at the top substantiates the massive price difference.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 25, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

take the red pill posted:

If you can afford it, the N5 is a better phone. The Moto G though is a very decent phone if you can only afford to drop $200 and are looking to get performance for the lowest price.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I'm having an issue with my girlfriends S4, the other day she dropped it into some lemonade or something and it got wet. It was in an otterbox case and everything so she took it out and left it to dry out a bit.

The phone works (at least it turns on and allows you to do stuff) but apparently it's not charging right or something? This morning she showed me the phone and it was flashing a red light and the battery icon was flashing. She rebooted the phone and then some screen popped up talking about "Downloading, do not turn off target" (apparently this is a known download mode?)

Anyways, I tried a different charge cable (connected to the computer) and now the phone is vibrating while it's off? Does any of this make sense? Is it a faulty battery or something? Would a full wipe fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wiping it will not reverse liquid damage, unless you're actually opening it up and wiping it with a towel :v:

It sounds to me like it's shorting out internally or was otherwise damaged. You're probably SOL.

• Locked thread