Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ess posted:

I find enjoyment out of finding stuff for myself instead of having it cheated for me.

That said, when my friends dupe me items or the like it's a simple matter of just not using the items.

I can honestly empathize a little. I prefer to take my time to slowly go through the tiers and see everything, but goon servers tend to be filled with power-gamer "rush to the endgame" types. If I forced myself to play with them, I wouldn't really have a fun time, but there's a simple solution: don't play with them. You just gotta find people who have a playstyle that matches up well with you.

Luckily, this is even easier to do in Starbound than it is to do in most games, because Starbound has a drat-near infinite universe. There is basically zero chance you will ever randomly cross paths with another player that you didn't specifically intend to play with. You can play on a multiplayer server and mostly just use it as a social thing if ya want and it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's not like this is a competitive game. Yet.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still don't see the problem unless their blowing your poo poo up with duped bombs or something, why do you care if they built a to-scale Eiffel tower using duped iron instead of spending 8 hours mining or are off in X-sector planets because they didn't feel like redoing the grind after another beta character wipe?
Even if they ever fix duping there's literally nothing stopping people from just making a recipe that inputs like one dirt block and outputs a thousand of whatever if they're so inclined and doing that is overall way less effort than duping. I don't even think duping is that big of an issue anyway since Starbound isn't exactly a game where cheating yourself poo poo is some game-breaking advantage or whatever.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

There! How's that?

Can you add different versions to match the race aesthetics? Might have versions that emitted heat as well that attached to the walls and ceiling for a comprehensive asteroid base building package.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's not like this is a competitive game. Yet.

A side-scrolling persistent universe pvp game would own my life. There's already a Starbound server with 1000 slots. We're halfway there.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Insert name here posted:

Even if they ever fix duping there's literally nothing stopping people from just making a recipe that inputs like one dirt block and outputs a thousand of whatever if they're so inclined and doing that is overall way less effort than duping. I don't even think duping is that big of an issue anyway since Starbound isn't exactly a game where cheating yourself poo poo is some game-breaking advantage or whatever.

I think they're going to implement server side checks for characters and mods in the future. I could be wrong though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

-Zydeco- posted:

Can you add different versions to match the race aesthetics? Might have versions that emitted heat as well that attached to the walls and ceiling for a comprehensive asteroid base building package.

I could certainly add heat to them, but I think trying to make race-specific ones would be a bit out of my depth, sadly. :(

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Does anyone know what the requirements are for tree placement? I've been trying to grow trees on my ship with the sandbox ship mod, an so far it's been kinda finicky.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

New Leaf posted:

I just encountered the first truly interesting stuff in the game- a small derelict penal colony with murderous robots a Legendary bonehammer that fires a spread of caustic bones every swing, then a planet with a monkey-people city. They don't seem very friendly.. They initially rushed me until I put away my sword, then they have all these mine altering stations and unhappy people. If I go in bonehammer blazing and try to murder them all, will I just get spanked?
You can tell they are friendly because they stopped when you put the sword away. No friendly towns like you wandering around with weapons at the ready.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I don't care this home and that patch of terraformed forest are basic and underwhelming. I made them, yaaaaaaay. :buddy:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Iny posted:

So I'm making a mod that adds crafted pistols, machine pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and grenade launchers for every tier and every race. Like the normal craftable weapons.

I'm going to need a fuckton of gun names.

If anyone wants to help out, please, by all means. Pun away.

The spreadsheet has filled up sir. I've disabled editing for now, for my sanity. I'm going somewhere for the holiday and during the process of travelling I'll be editing out duplicates and/or nonsensical entries, and replacing them with more applicable names. If you scroll through the spreadsheet and see any that are highlighted yellow, that's kind of what's going on. I'll also be sorting them from tier 1-10 based on how powerful they sound.

Thank everybody for your contributions, especially that giant push last night. This should do nicely.

The spreadsheet is still available to view here: http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Well, it's taken a while but I've got the next logical step done with my mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlzHp1FbVs
Still a ton of stuff to do, it very likely explodes if you try to scan in a chest containing items for example.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't care this home and that patch of terraformed forest are basic and underwhelming. I made them, yaaaaaaay. :buddy:

Hooray for making basic and underwhelming wood huts! Mine is Christmassy:

:buddy:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Still a ton of stuff to do, it very likely explodes if you try to scan in a chest containing items for example.

Jesus christ, man. How much Lua did you have to write for that? :psyduck:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Arsonide posted:

The spreadsheet has filled up sir. I've disabled editing for now, for my sanity. I'm going somewhere for the holiday and during the process of travelling I'll be editing out duplicates and/or nonsensical entries, and replacing them with more applicable names. If you scroll through the spreadsheet and see any that are highlighted yellow, that's kind of what's going on. I'll also be sorting them from tier 1-10 based on how powerful they sound.

Thank everybody for your contributions, especially that giant push last night. This should do nicely.

The spreadsheet is still available to view here: http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

Oh man this is excellent. Everyone who's contributed is great, and you have been/continue to be an absolutely invaluable help. You're a star.

I'll post updates on my own progress with the spriting and the balancing and the implementing (but especially the spriting, good lord this is a lot of work) as I get batches of stuff done.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

XboxPants posted:

Jesus christ, man. How much Lua did you have to write for that? :psyduck:

404 lines apparently. :v:

Anyway, merry christmas starbounders, I'll see you on the other side. :toot:

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Pilchenstein posted:

this constrained to a specific size or border block?

also, not sure what I'm seeing -- does it just store the house layout in memory and then rebuild it? since it looks like it just breaks and puts all the mats back in your inventory, when you scan it in.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Smarmy Coworker posted:

this constrained to a specific size or border block?

also, not sure what I'm seeing -- does it just store the house layout in memory and then rebuild it? since it looks like it just breaks and puts all the mats back in your inventory, when you scan it in.

The anvil and the console are what's used to define the limits of the building, it's not actually an anvil though, so you can scan in anvils. What you actually see is the console picking up the blocks (or as many as it can, the lua for that is a bit flaky). The layout is stored in the printer console that drops, in the same way that capture pods store monsters, so it should work across saves/planets/ships/whatever. When it rebuilds, it just places the blocks and objects magically, not from your inventory.

As far as upper limits, I set it to cap out at around 200x200 units, though I can probably go bigger. There might be an upper limit on how much stuff you can store in an item's config data but I strongly suspect I won't find that out until someone tries to scan an entire planet with it. :v:

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Alright. I will check this out when you release it :)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I decided to try my hand at modding and make some of laser beam shooting thing.

Here's my first attempt at the sprite for the beam, thoughts? Just ignore the animation speed for now, that's just a place holder speed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Luminaflare posted:

So I decided to try my hand at modding and make some of laser beam shooting thing.

Here's my first attempt at the sprite for the beam, thoughts? Just ignore the animation speed for now, that's just a place holder speed.

See, now you've gone and made me want to mod in the gun from Another World. Nice work though.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given the strong implications that the Hyotl started it, I suspect the Floran are going to come out smelling like roses regardless. :razz:

The Hylotl aren't as benign and harmless as they look.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

See, now you've gone and made me want to mod in the gun from Another World. Nice work though.

:aaaaa:

That gun was awesome; a mod putting it in would be awesome too, but I wonder if charging it up would be possible?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rhopunzel posted:

The Hylotl aren't as benign and harmless as they look.

All the player characters are pretty obviously outcasts from their societies, and the Hylotl player is a weird religious fundamentalist.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Mimic posted:

That gun was awesome; a mod putting it in would be awesome too, but I wonder if charging it up would be possible?

Ok, all that automated base bullshit is on hold until I stuff myself full of turkey and find the answer to this question. :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Mimic posted:

Yeah, it'd be easy. There's a mega man buster in the game that has a charging mechanic which, actually, is functionally identical to the bow.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, it'd be easy. There's a mega man buster in the game that has a charging mechanic which, actually, is functionally identical to the bow.

It doesn't just need to charge though, it has to have rapid fire, charged beam and a shield, which might be a stretch for the engine. I dunno.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pilchenstein posted:

It doesn't just need to charge though, it has to have rapid fire, charged beam and a shield, which might be a stretch for the engine. I dunno.

Could have it run a counter up while you hold down fire key and check against values A and B when you let go. So if it's less than A it'd be a normal shot, between A and B it'd be a powerful shot and if the counter goes above B engage a shield and have it turn off when you let go of the fire key.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

In addition to the above, I know that some weapons have alternate swings. Not sure if any existing ones do, but the two-handed variant of the hunting knife has a normal sword sweep and a hammer-like arc. One is bound to the left mouse button and the other to the right.

You could have the charge shot be left mouse only and the shield be charged from the right mouse.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Various two handed weapons with a listed element also have a second element bound to right click.
Now if there were guns with two different kinds of ammo types it would be just excellent.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
I haven't touched this in a bit and decided to try to get my Thunderhawk ship working.

After figuring out how to align the blocks I re-did my layout then realized everything wasn't properly sized...so after playing with that for god knows how long I got this in game how it should be finally.

Now I just have to do the art for the ship (it's just an overlay on top of flat color right now) which seems like a pretty insurmountable task at the moment :smith:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Combat Shotgun posted:

I haven't touched this in a bit and decided to try to get my Thunderhawk ship working.

After figuring out how to align the blocks I re-did my layout then realized everything wasn't properly sized...so after playing with that for god knows how long I got this in game how it should be finally.

Now I just have to do the art for the ship (it's just an overlay on top of flat color right now) which seems like a pretty insurmountable task at the moment :smith:

Looks great! That exact problem is where I stopped for my ship. I finished the cockpit and realized how long it would take. I decided I'd rather have it blank and playable than spend that much time when I could just be playing. In the end I just built it out of in-game blocks/materials so it would be MP compatible, even though it doesn't look nearly as good.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar
Good god. Some of the custom starships you guys have posted make my mushroom moist. I suspect that as they continue to add modding support this game is going to skyrocket beyond the potential of Terraria by far. I wish the teams would re-mingle, since Terraria still does certain things (wiring, traps, endgame) a little better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ground bases are so 2013.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!

Switched.on posted:

Looks great! That exact problem is where I stopped for my ship. I finished the cockpit and realized how long it would take. I decided I'd rather have it blank and playable than spend that much time when I could just be playing. In the end I just built it out of in-game blocks/materials so it would be MP compatible, even though it doesn't look nearly as good.

Yeah I just said screw it and started playing so I could actually enjoy it.

Hopefully they will add support for custom ships in the game at some point.

edit vvvvvvvvv

If I remember right Terraria didn't even have wiring until well after release.

Combat Shotgun fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 25, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

spacemanspliff posted:

Terraria still does certain things (wiring, traps, endgame) a little better.

This game is in early early access beta.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah being able to share a couple of jpgs for your ship seamlessly would be totally amazing. It would be the equivalent of Counter Strike sprays, on public servers though. Definitely something you'd want to be able to control from the admin side.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Hooray for making basic and underwhelming wood huts! Mine is Christmassy:

:buddy:

What did you use for the shingles?

And I suppose I might as well share images of the renovated hobo cave my buddy and I have made.

(The Deathstar hologram is part of an unfinished area)

The Floran scare crows were his idea and they rule :razz:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Where are you guys finding this cool stuff for your bases? 5 planets and I've only seen the one city and the derelict prison. Does it just take a lot of luck?

By the way, I see people talking about "levels".. What do you mean? I don't see levels anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
When looking for planets, do you guys just pick random systems? I try to get a system that has at least 5 planets and multiple biomes.

• Locked thread