Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

That loving Sned posted:

This was one of the first truly next-gen games announced, and made a massive impact at E3 2011. However, launching almost two years later has removed a lot of the wind from its sails.

It's being released on the 360 and PS3, truly next gen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Blister posted:

They're talking about the PC version, clearly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blister posted:

At least it's being developed as a next-gen game, with the PS3, 360, and Wii U getting a watered down version. Assassin's Creed IV is a nice looking game of the PS4, but it's definitely a last-gen game with the settings tweaked and in a higher resolution.

Just as a reminder, this is what the luddites will be playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIK8Mm1-Jdg

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

That loving Sned posted:

At least it's being developed as a next-gen game, with the PS3, 360, and Wii U getting a watered down version. Assassin's Creed IV is a nice looking game of the PS4, but it's definitely a last-gen game with the settings tweaked and in a higher resolution.

Just as a reminder, this is what the luddites will be playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIK8Mm1-Jdg

Someone should have warned her that she was in the Danger Zone.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

At least 9 game news site have in the last few hours published articles rumouring the release date to be the 21st of march.

Although they are both basing it on Shopto having that as the guaranteed delivery date.
http://gamingbolt.com/watch-dogs-release-date-listed-as-march-21st-on-european-retail-site

http://www.explosion.com/50645/rumor-watch-dogs-release-march-21st/

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 29, 2013

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

More grist from the rumor mill. Unsubstantiated, but an Italian gaming blog is saying Watch Dogs may be canceled for the WiiU
http://www.wiitalia.it/2014/01/23/rumor-watch_dogs-e-stato-cancellato-per-wii-u/lang/en/

It's possible this is a Europe-only thing even if true.

Were any of you actually going to get it on the WiiU?

I'm just grabbing at scraps here. Want news.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
So apparently Ubisoft has filed to abandon the Watch Dogs trademark. Possibly renaming it?

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85642398&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Watch Dogs distinct from Watch_Dogs?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's being retooled as Assassin's Creed 5

(Honestly I would not be surprised if this turned out to be true.)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It's being retooled as Assassin's Creed 5

(Honestly I would not be surprised if this turned out to be true.)

I wouldn't even be angry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I want Ubisoft to throw in the towel and rebrand all of their properties as Assassins Creed games.

Especially Rayman.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

senae posted:

You play as Desmond before the events of AC1.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hey, anything to increase the odds of replacing that stupid looking baseball cap with a sweet hoodie, I guess.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Croccers posted:

You play as Desmond before the events of AC1.

Wouldn't that just be Tapper except with next-gen graphics?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The White Dragon posted:

Once again, not seeing the problem here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The White Dragon posted:

It would be Tapper with additional eavesdropping objectives.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

But really does this actually mean anything?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

senae posted:

It all happens one crazy morning on your way into Abstergo Entertainment

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Let's not make it into Assassin's Creed 5, in fact let's do the opposite and rename AC4 to Salty_dogs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jackie D posted:

But really does this actually mean anything?

Probably not.

If the stylized Watch_Dogs is distinct, then it just means they're dropping the non-stylized version. If it isn't, it's probably a name change.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Aphrodite posted:

Probably not.

If the stylized Watch_Dogs is distinct, then it just means they're dropping the non-stylized version. If it isn't, it's probably a name change.

Talked to a law friend and it's probably exactly this. "Watch_Dogs" is more secure and resistant to challenge than "Watch Dogs", especially in light of King doing their thing, they probably didn't want to be the guys who trademarked dog.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
No Watch_Dogs, no danger of expiring.

Dan Teasdale ‏@deliciousbees 1m
Oh, duh. "Nonuse for two consecutive years shall be prima facie abandonment", filed June 2012. So, I guess this hints towards holiday 2014?

"Dan Teasdale ‏@deliciousbees 9s
Basically, it sounds like that they're cancelling and reapplying for "Watch Dogs" so that it doesn't automatically expire in June."

"Dan Teasdale ‏@deliciousbees 9m
...oh wait, there's no "Watch_Dogs" in TESS. And they were granted an extension for "Watch Dogs" just last week. Weird."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seeing this thread pop up again just really made it hit home how I had totally forgotten about this game, considering I was eagerly anticipating it as my PS4 launch purchase. I wish I knew more about what was going on with this game. If it was simply about moving it to a more financially viable quarter you'd think they would have locked down the new release date and started warming up the marketing machine again. And if they really have been working all this time to retool/finish it, what kind of state was it in back in November?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the gently caress is going on with this dumb game jesus christ

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hakkesshu posted:

What the gently caress is going on with this dumb game jesus christ

It's a templar conspiracy

free Gl0boX

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And things just got weirder.

quote:

Mr. Guillemot, however, did not sign the Request for Express Abandonment, nor did Ubisoft Entertainment file the Request for Express Abandonment. The Request for Express Abandonment is fraudulent and was not filed by Ubisoft Entertainment or its representative.

quote:

We spoke with Ubisoft, which clarified the matter for us. “We are working directly with the USPTO on reinstating the trademark for Watch Dogs and it will be active again in the coming days,” a representative told Game Informer. "The matter has no impact on Watch Dogs' development."

So this was either an insane attempt at trademark fraud/trolling or the most meta viral marketing ever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is crazy. Just... what? :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

So this was either an insane attempt at trademark fraud/trolling or the most meta viral marketing ever.

That would be amazing, but I don't think the patent office would play along.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Maybe they got hacked.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Well at least it's better than that not-Half Life 3 ARG.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
They really need to start up marketing again for this, I totally forgot it existed until Amazon sent me a reminder about a preorder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

They really need to start up marketing again for this, I totally forgot it existed until Amazon sent me a reminder about a preorder.

They don't have a launch date yet.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
No press release or anything, but apparently Ubisoft's latest earnings report has Watch Dogs slotted for a Q2 (April-June) 2014 release.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

No press release or anything, but apparently Ubisoft's latest earnings report has Watch Dogs slotted for a Q2 (April-June) 2014 release.

Are you sure about those dates? Because Ubisoft's fiscal year is April to March, and games coming before April 1st are classified as Q4 2013. With that in mind, a Q2 release would put it in the July-September window.

April-June would be classified as Q1 2014, or as Q2 of calendar 2014.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ubisoft actually said fiscal Q1, so April-June is accurate.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, the official word was April-June, the misnumbering was purely on my part.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Ubisoft actually said fiscal Q1, so April-June is accurate.

Ah, alright. I just saw so many people saying "Ubisoft has the release date as Q2, so April-June" that I was just curious if that had been pre-translated to calendar dates or if it was a result of people not knowing that fiscal Q2 was later than calendar Q2.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wonder if it'll still be available to previous gen platforms.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

What the hell happened to this game. It was cruising right a long with multiple different playable builds all over the place then suddenly ghost town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Wonder if it'll still be available to previous gen platforms.

Wii U version got delayed.

• Locked thread